Following
    quick WIP...
    comments, crit?

Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this ,thoough it could doo with an idea of a trunk somewhere, in my opinion or maybe just a side view?

And so like horses to water, the angels fell upon the land.....only bitter...only twisted...human after all...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    got a new update

any C&C ??

mattbyng - i like urs hehe he looks cute, waiting for the update to give some crits

Bwitzke - Nice idea, i like the eyes but watch the accecory (spelling dont leave me now..), the christmas balls could be eyes but the gift in his belly.. i would remove that.
    also the legs he is standing on are very thin.. maybe make m like tree trunk like?? a bit more massive.
    Hope this helps a bit, good luck.

Apocolypse rex - very nice, like the sketchwork u got going on.

Discoskull - nice armors on the creature, no crits just awesome.

Reinen - Can u clean the pic up a bit and post it a bit smaller, .
    He looks deformed but im guessin that on purpose? (his legs and stuff)

EDIT - Almost Final is up

Last edited by Joey-b; December 21st, 2007 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So yeah... even though I said I was going to play this round I started drawing things at work.... So I have a basic pencilled concept. :3 and am going to start colouring in... well... when I get my new compy hooked up and a few things installed.

Tell me what you think of this little bugger? and um, if it's too small I can grab a bigger version, I just shrunk him down real quick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Silly colonists...

First time...prob. won't get passed the WiP stage since I don't get a tablet until x-mas, but will attempt to paint traditional style. Wanted to do something sci-fi / astrobiology related, so the concept is important.

Human tradition > common sense. Colonists bring home "Christmas trees", increased heat from homes releases parasitic wasps = nightmare ensues. The nightmare? These lovely wasps use their long ovipositors (sp?) to inject their larvae into the ocular cavity ( ocular = eyes) of their sleeping victims. The larvae follow the optic nerve back to the brain, where they feast on gray matter...if they remain untreated, 2-3 weeks later they emerge as adults, chewing their way back out the same way they got in.

C.O.W. - #104: Nightmare Before Christmas

1) Original sketch with color test
    2) Revisted sketch (forgot tracing paper smears so easy! eww)
    3) Laying out the final on cover paper but it was sketched so lightly that even after cranking the levels some things were lost. Thought I would get some feedback before I finalized the lines and started putting down ink and gouache. If you can't see in the horrible scan...to the left is supposed to be the tree with hibernation hole.

Thinking the "smooth parts" will be red/gold (christmasy!) with biolights...and some sort of bark color for the back camo.

Good, bad...horribly dumb?

Last edited by Aphotic Phoenix; December 22nd, 2007 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Typos bleh!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    arggg! such an awesome topic. Im going to be out of town but i'm sitll going to try it.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First CoW...not sure how well I'll do, but fortune favors the bold eh? The finished piece will be much more detail, this was just a sketch for my concept.

The Antaclaw is a huge creature that dwells in frigid environments. At first glance, it has a nightmarish face that leers in a brilliant display of red and white patterns. However, this is actually a false face, with the bright color scheme designed to attract attention away from the actual exposed part of the creatures true face. The false face is formed from a thick carapace of dead skin and muscle, with a sharp bone proboscis jutting out of the "chin". The proboscis is connected to the creatures gargantuan stomach, which is visible from the back, somewhat like a giant sack. The Antaclaw is capable of jetting out streams of stomach acid through the tube, burning creatures with a venomous cocktail of corrosive and highly venomous liquids. Once it's prey has been neutralized with the juices, the Antaclaw swallows it whole with it's massive jaws, digesting the rest of the kill in it's stomach. Generally the Antaclaw prefers to ambush it's prey from the dark confines of a cave, where many unknowing creatures seek shelter from the frigid temperatures.

I once told someone that they practice realism. He said no he didn't. I pointed to the picture and said "That's my definition of realism." He said I can't use my definition. I said "If that's true, what's the point of drawing?"

The beauty about art is NO ONE needs to follow another person's definition, another set of rules. We can make our own rules.

www.evergraceonline.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dec. 20, 2070
    By: JAMES WATT
    Neo Baghdad Times

Believed to be engineered by the same demented mind behind the soul-eating penguin-squid and toe-eating splattered-bug, this yet to be named Christmas tree impersonator is responsible for the horrific nightmare before Christmas, when seventy-two people lost their lives when taken by surprise by this human-flesh-loving carnivore. Survivors report that 'cheap price', 'free Star of Bethlehem and lights included' and 'unique alien flavour' to be the prime reasons for their purchase. Though appearing inanimate, hours after being warmed by the hearth fire, the dormant creatures awoke and proceeded with the business of devouring their buyers. Authorities refuse to comment on their failure to apprehend the criminal. Cheap Claymore joke work of junior reporter.

Last edited by huhwhat; December 22nd, 2007 at 02:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this community and all this activities. I am far away from beeing a pro but i think i will give it a try and take part in this challenge. Hopefully the time will be enough for me (will start in Train with sketches and can realy start this evening). My idea so far is an animal called Christmaredillo. Nobody knows how it gets (some say it climbs through the chimney) ther but the night before christmas they hide between the other presents under the christmastree. When a little boy or girl wants to look at his/her presents in the night (without permission) the christmardillo discharges a toxic gas so that the child falls asleep and has bad bad nightmares before christmas. (sorry for my poor english)

Sketches for c&c will follow in a few hours

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my nightmare, this lil beauty eats presents

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphotic Phoenix View Post
    First time...prob. won't get passed the WiP stage since I don't get a tablet until x-mas, but will attempt to paint traditional style. Wanted to do something sci-fi / astrobiology related, so the concept is important.

Human tradition > common sense. Colonists bring home "Christmas trees", increased heat from homes releases parasitic wasps = nightmare ensues. The nightmare? These lovely wasps use their long ovipositors (sp?) to inject their larvae into the ocular cavity ( ocular = eyes) of their sleeping victims. The larvae follow the optic nerve back to the brain, where they feast on gray matter...if they remain untreated, 2-3 weeks later they emerge as adults, chewing their way back out the same way they got in.

1) Original sketch with color test
    2) Revisted sketch (forgot tracing paper smears so easy! eww)
    3) Laying out the final on cover paper but it was sketched so lightly that even after cranking the levels some things were lost. Thought I would get some feedback before I finalized the lines and started putting down ink and gouache. If you can't see in the horrible scan...to the left is supposed to be the tree with hibernation hole.

Thinking the "smooth parts" will be red/gold (christmasy!) with biolights...and some sort of bark color for the back camo.

Good, bad...horribly dumb?
    that is pure genius, no-one else can possibly win against that, i throw in the towel

And so like horses to water, the angels fell upon the land.....only bitter...only twisted...human after all...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    reinen - dont enter COW to compete.. just share the towel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the first sketch of my Christmaredillo (done in a Train of teh "Deutsche Bahn"...). Some stuff will be aded like more structure and anatomy stuff (ribs etc.) and the right invirement. Have problem to get Pthotoshop run on the PC of my father and i hope i will get this to work until tomorrow.

critique and suggestiones are very welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Miasmamann its good, but so far its just a christmas creature, not a nightmare before christmas, it seems a little cute really.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My idea is a creature from some folk lore that Santa would put in naughty children's stockings... I now have a lot of time so maybe I can whip something up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm working on something for the naughty kids too. Can't wait to see what you come up with Jake.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinen View Post
    that is pure genius, no-one else can possibly win against that, i throw in the towel
    @Reinen: o_O Aww thanks You've overestimate my ability to paint (and finish things) though! lol That was just the idea that came to mind. Since it's my first time I wanted to post the WiP/concept for c&c to make sure I wasn't being noobish. ^_^

I like the facial structure of your dragon, and the body design is an interesting one. I would suggest that if you want people to identify it as a dragon without reading the concept you may want to consider adding a few dragony details.

And to be fair I'll try to cover everyone else:

@ Apocalypse Rex, Discoskull - you both posted so early...would love to see an update 'cause both look really neat!

@ Manaburn - Interesting idea, and love the detail of the leg hair/spilkes. Are you going to leave the tail back or will you curve it up like a scorpian for a more menacing look? (not sure if that would feel cliche or not)

@ Joey-b - What you've got done so far. The story book as walls idea is fantastic, and the paint job & effects so far look great. The right side feels a little empty to me since there are so many little details on the left.

@ mattbyng - would love to see what kind of details you'll be adding to yours. ^_^

@ bwitzke - Mmm...x-mas mantis. Agree with Joey-b on the balls/giftbox things. Looks a bit top heavy..partially due to perspective, but also consider the abdomen as a counter weight. Look at mantis photos and observe how the abdomen slopes towards the ground, and use that as an inspiration to make your image more visually viable.

@ Mrianna - I like the contrast of the scary mask and the cute wings. Interested to see what kind of textures and colors you'll be using

@ ScreamSin - Hehe..just wanted to point out that big feet and body shape remind me of a very angry nerds candy.

@ huhwhat - Concept is fun, but with sci-fi stuff I want the concept/creature to match in plausability and I think yours is more sci-fantasy which I suck at making comments for. ^_^

@ xabian - looking forward to seeing some details

@ Miasmamann - The claws and folded skin are a nice touch and could definately add to the "scary" factor if done right. Maybe make the floppy ear more ragged so it's less cute, and the right color & texture choices will make that happy looking grin quite creepy later on!

Last edited by Aphotic Phoenix; December 23rd, 2007 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Typos and clarification

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the nightmare is explained through the discription (the creature liays like a present under the christmastree, and when a little girl or boy wants to watch the presents before christmas, it releases a toxic gas that make the child fall asleep and have bad nightmares. But if Nightmare means, that it has to be an evil/bad/scary creature it can be done with only some little changes (at the eye f.e.). What do yu think?

Will see it ehen i am able to get Photoshop to run today (only have today and tomorrow to finish it, real a challenge).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think that the creature has to be scary. In fact it's quite a unique approach to NOT have a scary monster, because scary is easier to associate visually with nightmares. I would suggest that if you go with a more passive looking creature that you really flesh out your concept as much as possible. Brainstorm about how this creature came to be, where it goes when it's not Christmas time, who created it, etc so you can use those ideas to make the most convincing explanation of your piece.

*Edit*
    It would of course be best to illustrate what the creature does (you could show the gas being released with the child passed out in the background), but since you're schedule has you pressed for time...

Last edited by Aphotic Phoenix; December 23rd, 2007 at 05:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for commenting every 1 Aphotic Phoenix some good crit there.

small updated , started to add in some anatomy. can any body tell me if it looks right, i cant tell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for commands and critique (want more ). Have done the shadowsketch. Until now everything was easy and took me ca. 3 Hours of work (i am not as fast as i wanna be). The rest will be harder because it is away from the style i use normaly (this is my first attempt in digital art using a wacom). With wacom it was close to traditional style until now, the followieng (coloring, highlighting, lighting etc.) ... lets see if i can do it.

Here the actiual Version (The color is green because i dont like to work in pure greytones):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not been able to participate for SOOOOOO long...work gets in the way these days.

Nightmares before Xmas include Presents being stolen. It's bad enough for us mortals when some evil little toad steals our pressies from our cars or homes (a car in our case tonight...bas&**ds!) but it's a whole other story when presents go missing from the North Pole before they are even delivered!!! Most times the culprit is a wayward Elf with some grudge against the big man or the system.

Santa had a really bad year in `83 so he bred his own line of Xmas Guard Dogs..the Asboid Wolf. A very placid creature most of the time. When worked up or hungry these creatures have a tendency to berserk (often causing massive damage to life and limb in the process). Many an innocent Elf has been devoured when the A-Wolf leaps into action.

Never the less, crime in Santa's Grotto is now a respectable NIL and that is all down to Santa's very own `Nightmare before Xmas`, the Asboid Wolf.

C.O.W. - #104: Nightmare Before Christmas WIP

Last edited by SOUTHERN; December 27th, 2007 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Miasmamann View Post
    Thanks for commands and critique (want more ). Have done the shadowsketch. Until now everything was easy and took me ca. 3 Hours of work (i am not as fast as i wanna be). The rest will be harder because it is away from the style i use normaly (this is my first attempt in digital art using a wacom). With wacom it was close to traditional style until now, the followieng (coloring, highlighting, lighting etc.) ... lets see if i can do it.

Here the actiual Version (The color is green because i dont like to work in pure greytones):
    i have to say prmise was unclear to start with, no offence, but now its a genuine work of art and i am startled at it's awesomeness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update - still lots to do - ooh! roll on wednesday!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first go at COW, so I hope I'm doing this right. I had some extra time over the holiday so I figured, why not. Here is a WIP, I'm working on fleshing out it's body now.

The Bearded Creeper spends much of the year lying dormant underground, coming to the surface once a year for a few weeks in December to feed. During those weeks it prowls the alleys, gorging itself on whatever it can find.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some great looking WIPs in here, i am impressed and very prying on the results. My Problem is, as expected, the coloring and highlighting. I am not throug with it. Now it looks pillowshaded and the left part of the face is to dark/kontrast to backgrpund is to low etc.

There is a lot i've got to learn and so little time

Here is the actual pic. I wanted to add the Background tommorow but it seems i have to do an (huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughe) polish and overhauling to the creature again first (hope time will be enough).

P.S.: The claws are not ready, too (only placeholders now to give in impression of the end result)

Last edited by Miasmamann; December 23rd, 2007 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    apocolypse rex - nice work, tis gonna look good i know it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Hi there

watching this cow and I really liked the subject..
    though I haven't got ANY software or stuff to transfer
    my idea in a real painting so here's just my idea,
    I don't know, just wanted to show it

grtz, EKE

cwk musy fosho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphotic Phoenix View Post
    @ ScreamSin - Hehe..just wanted to point out that big feet and body shape remind me of a very angry nerds candy.
    Guess I'll take that as a compliment?

I once told someone that they practice realism. He said no he didn't. I pointed to the picture and said "That's my definition of realism." He said I can't use my definition. I said "If that's true, what's the point of drawing?"

The beauty about art is NO ONE needs to follow another person's definition, another set of rules. We can make our own rules.

www.evergraceonline.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Southern: If you don't mind me asking.......What do you do for a living? Your work is fresh and I'd only hope you're an artist worker of some sort. What's good? By the way your concept is looking fresh. =)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1