Sketchbook: From traditional to digital - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love your portraits and really nice to see the progress you've made.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting a little better with the brushes, the edges aren't perfect but at least the brush goes where I want it to go.
    Name:  mug7.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  43.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Managed to get my oem download of sketchbook express and tried it out.
    Name:  burn!.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  48.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really cool work! I like your gestures and exppresions. Whats this mug shot thing? if its a database of photos of peoples heads me wants it! Im slipping up in the portrait department recently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff as always, ain't got not much to crit...keep up the great work!

alex

Open for commissions......just PM me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Malakuko: I got the mugshot thing from the muddy colors blog http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2010...criminals.html, it's awesome.

Fallenangel: thanks!

Trying to take a part in CHOW for a change, we'll see if I can finish this on thursday, since I'll be out of town after that (watercolors coming up after, fingers crossed!). This has been one of those days when nothing works and every mark I make sucks. I'm glad it's soon over.

Attached Images Attached Images  

blazinwolf is offline Cristina Bencina / Illustrator & Concept Artist Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're improving. Keep it up!

Get connected! Follow me below!
    Art Blog | CGHub | deviantART |Facebook Fan Page
    I'm available for freelance work. Please email me. My email can be found on my blog.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More work on the chow. Got sick and pretty much gave up on getting anything done this week.

Name:  freakcircus2.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  96.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

Push your values a little bit more.
    Beside of that, great piece so far.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blazinwolf: hope so!
    Silwynar: I think it's soon going to be time for some value studies with a pencil and a paper, I'm feeling my values could use a lot of help in general.

Done now I think, I'm out of time anyway.
    Name:  firebreather.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  86.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bunch of watercolors from my weekend trip. I hate hate hate the ca uploader. This made me remember why I never scan work or post big patches. I gave up now before getting them all in, bloody database errors.

Just one pic missing in all honesty.

Also I drew a bunch of horses and tried to learn horse anatomy, but after this fat chance I'l take the time to scan them and post them all. They sucked anyway.

Attachment 1186435

Attachment 1186436

Attachment 1186437

Attachment 1186438

Attachment 1186440

Attachment 1186441

Attachment 1186442

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last minute chow, I was planning to do it all week, but then I kept getting sicker, and I was really bummed out after the punctering on wednesday. And then my sister piled some typography on me, I really hope I learned something.

I'm glad I managed to do this tho, I'm really thinking I should explore this style some more! I just wish it would take less time for apparently so little result.

And I'm way too lazy to upload the stuff on last post again, since ca seems to have botched it all up, so go check it out on my blog www.jaanaheiska.com/blog!

Name:  chow#236_suncut.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  99.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally done with this.
    Name:  rannalla3.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  79.9 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Suncut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally done with this one.
    Name:  centaur3.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  128.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The attachments on post 131 aren't showing but the horse anatomy studies sure show on the centaur. I think his hand could still be worked on though because it's in the center of attention and I don't think it's the most natural way of grabbing the apple, the hand looks twisted inwards uncomfortably. I'm also missing a cast shadow on the grass. On the blonde painting, the colors and composition look great, I like how my eye is drawn to her face by the forest on the horizon and the lit rim of the cloud and all these lines leading to it. The mood is haunting in just the right amount, I really think you captured the mood of that song as I remember it (I think I've heard it once). Keep 'em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smuli View Post
    The attachments on post 131 aren't showing but the horse anatomy studies sure show on the centaur. I think his hand could still be worked on though because it's in the center of attention and I don't think it's the most natural way of grabbing the apple, the hand looks twisted inwards uncomfortably. I'm also missing a cast shadow on the grass. On the blonde painting, the colors and composition look great, I like how my eye is drawn to her face by the forest on the horizon and the lit rim of the cloud and all these lines leading to it. The mood is haunting in just the right amount, I really think you captured the mood of that song as I remember it (I think I've heard it once). Keep 'em coming!
    I agree with Smuli in every word, the blond girl painting is one of my fav. from you so far...keep up the great job!
    edit: one crit about the girl painting that i've noticed after the initial post, i think you should add some more texture to the wooden dock, so it will look more realistic.

Alex.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smuli & fallenangel: Thanks for the crits!

Here's my first try in ages with inks. I love them but could use more practice.
    Name:  kirjahyllysmall.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  176.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More inks.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  86.5 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  132.0 KBName:  princesses.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  122.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 776 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely work as ever! Your subjects are so classical, especially the centaur reaching for the apple. I love the portraits on the last page and the top of this page. Your colors, particularly flesh tones, always seem so refreshing and sweet.

I feel like with your paintings from imagination that it might help if you worked out the figures with a linear sketch before diving into value, color and texture. You seem to have trouble getting through the middle stage of the painting, past where you've blocked in the general colors and values but before you get into definition and details. You don't have a problem with working directly from photos with your current method, but your illustrative paintings require more problem-solving, and anatomical issues are generally much easier to figure out with straight-up linear drawing than pushing paint around. (At least, that's how it worked out for me. I really struggled in the beginning with pushing blobs back and forth until I started drawing first and painting second.)

I'm really curious where you're headed btw. Do you have any specific aspirations or goals for your work?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Suncut!

Your inks are wonderful!!

They are so simple and clean in one respect, but they convey so much about the characters in them.
    I love the facial expressions and the beautiful flow of the cloth.
    You really balanced the light and dark in them superbly!

I would really love to know more about your technique.
    I would love to know how to ink link that.

Keep up the wonderful work! I'll be sure to drop by again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry I seem to have completely abandoned this sketchbook for a while, I am doing stuff, I'm just not posting, for real!

dierat: Thanks for the comment! What can I say, you're absolutely right, I've come to the same conclusion as you, but have yet to implement anything to fix things. I just... hate drawing. Sketches that have a direct purpose, pose, compositional etc are fine, but I can't seem make myself render things out in pencil. I might need to switch sketching mediums, I had quite a bit of luck with watercolor when doing plans for my graduation work, not sure if I even posted them, some seemed to turn out better than the finished oils... Anyway, I've sheduled some time this summer for going back to oils for a while, so I'll be forced to come to a solution one way or another.
    As to where I'm headed, hmm. Ideally I'd like to have a defined illustration style that would be easily applied to a variety of subjects and purposes. To be honest I became bored easily, so I love it when projects make me solve totally different problems right after one another. I'd like to do work for advertising and book covers, and make some games on the side because they're fun. I know I got ways to go, but helps to dream!

greyskill: Thanks! I'm not sure how to describe my process exactly, but I'll try. 1. Think about what I want the image to convey, something simple and to the point, then sketch out compositions and try out a few poses. 2. Inks, try to identify the important big shapes and make sure those will stand out, use thicker line for them. Add dark masses where I figure there will be shadow, and so they help outline the action going on in the image. Or just to balance things out. Check that the image still looks interesting even as a thumbnail. 3. Scan it in and realise it sucks and need to be fixed, go back and add more dark shapes and make some outlines thicker. And fix any stupid mistakes I made with the pens. Done!
    I don't really think the process is that useful to know actually, it's really the motivations behind it that are important. When doing those inks I tried to keep all the principles that drawn to life books introduce for animation in mind, and try to make every part of the image work for them. I love those books.

Anyway, here's some work. We started a new roleplaying campaing with our friends, so some portraits for that. I already killed one character, oops.
    Name:  donovan.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  115.4 KB
    Name:  kia.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  103.2 KB
    Name:  forester.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  73.5 KB
    Name:  varas.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  74.2 KB

Something that's been on the todo list for months now, I'll probably finish it eventually. Note the non existant preliminary drawing. I keep thinking I should go back and just draw out what I want to be there, but can't seem to get around to it.
    Name:  fishastronaut.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  96.6 KB

I've been working on a little portfolio project for games, since I can't show any of my actually published work, everything is still much a work in process, but I thought this animation came out alright. I love animating. The animation doesn't seem to work properly on my firefox, but runs smooth on ie, I hope no one else has this problem.

Name:  knightwalk.gif
Views: 222
Size:  78.1 KB

I figured I needed to practice my composition and storytelling, so what better way then movie screencaps.

Name:  practice_caribbean.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  87.7 KB
    Name:  practice_moviestill2.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  77.5 KB

Lastly I've been toying around with redifining how I actually want to paint, being not quite satisfied with my stuff. So here's something a little different.

Name:  calm_before_storm.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  148.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see you're posting again! I really like those last updates.
    One crit about those first two characters is that their heads look quite large compared to the body (unless you wanted to make like this)

Keep posting, it's really fun and inspirational to watch your art.

Alex.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fallenangel: Thanks! You're right the heads are on the large side, with the girl it's totally intentional, as she's supposed to be quite short. I figure the guy just felt right for the character to be bigheaded, though I didn't really think about it that much. I do have a tendency to go for bigger heads instead of smaller out of habit, I'll try and keep an eye on it.

Something new from today. I swear I wasn't intentionally going for the martta wendelin -look, but it just turned out that way.

Name:  found.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  112.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the lines on those inks are fantastic! And I really like how loose this last painting seems

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 776 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Suncut View Post
    I just... hate drawing. Sketches that have a direct purpose, pose, compositional etc are fine, but I can't seem make myself render things out in pencil.
    Well I didn't really mean rendering it out in pencil first. What I meant was, when you're starting a digital painting, sketch out the forms linearly first and work out your problems with line. Then use multiply layers or medium opacity layers to work up from the sketch into a painting. That's how I work out my digital images, and personally I find it to be much less confusing. (I know some people sketch out their images in pencil first and scan them in, but I personally find it faster and easier to do it digitally.)

You recent paintings are lovely. I really enjoy the calm before the storm image - is that oils? I love the canvas texture peaking through the paint. And the style gives it a sweet storybook feeling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ink work is teeming with personality, I'll be on the lookout for more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all! I'm trying to keep this brief, since it's really late and I'm leaving for our summer cottage again tomorrow morning.

dierat: I can't seem to get lines right without doing at least an approximation of masses and their tone, I only really get a feel for the pose etc at that point, otherwise I'll just end up changing the drawing once I figure the masses out in paint. But I'm trying to do more drawing and hopefully more preliminary work in the future.

Did ink studies of horses, other studies as well I didn't bother to photograph (scanner stopped working) and some gestures, finally!

I've painted two plein air things as well, but they are still at the summer cottage.

Bought lots of stuff from ca download sale I've been enjoying, currently going through anatomy streaming class, which inspired me to register to reference for comic artists so I can get some study material of muscles in action. Hopefully I'll have some studies of those to show later.

Did an icon suggestion for illustration of the week.
    Name:  iow.gif
Views: 135
Size:  2.4 KB

Attached Images Attached Images                            

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Managed to finish a fourth plein air painting this week, beating last years record! I'll post pictures of all of them at the same time once the last one is dry enough to travel. Also it was my first try of half-oil on hardboard, and it was suprisingly pleasent to paint on. I could get used to it. Absolute mess to handle though, all wet.

Tried doing a warmup before getting to other stuff. Had a horrible time concentrating since my back is still hurting from a sprain that happened more than a week ago.

Name:  warmup.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  76.1 KB

A new piece I started, went straight to sketchup to mock-up the perspective, and tried to find a good angle from there. Useful stuff. Still not exactly happy with the composition.

Name:  ghost garden.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  65.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like color in your works, good job!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 16