I am Legend

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am Legend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am Legend

Just saw it today, but was told earlier that it was very cheesy. I thought it was good. Any others agree? Disagree?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i absolutely hated the ending. i really hate when a story takes a unlogical turn and justifies it in the name of religion(any mind you) its not creative nor interesting.

that being said up until he is saved by anna and ethan the movie is pretty cool, despite the completely generic and boring look giving to the infected. i mean heres humans who been altered to be more agressive, crave blood, and super sensitive to uv light, and the look you gave them is no better then a bad poser model. i mean if your gonna use CGI to replace people and then make the infected look like people with pale skin then whats the point?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Otsredir View Post
    i absolutely hated the ending. i really hate when a story takes a unlogical turn and justifies it in the name of religion(any mind you) its not creative nor interesting.

that being said up until he is saved by anna and ethan the movie is pretty cool, despite the completely generic and boring look giving to the infected. i mean heres humans who been altered to be more agressive, crave blood, and super sensitive to uv light, and the look you gave them is no better then a bad poser model. i mean if your gonna use CGI to replace people and then make the infected look like people with pale skin then whats the point?
    I loved the ending. Happy but unhappy. The best part was the relationship of Neville and Sam, and their story. Not sure how the ending was religious and unlogical at the end so please explain when you read this. I agree with you, as far as I'm concerned the story was good up to and supposed to end from Neville's point of view when before Anna saved him...which i didn't like either. that whole Anna dynamic didnt seem logical enough for me to relate to. I didn't like the infected either. The whole "superhuman" aspect was just unrelatable to me. Making them more human like and using real people would have been better imo. The whole "jaw opening beyond possible" to make them seem more terrorizing got old real quick. I mean these vampire zombies had some intelligence so some of the sequences just didn't add up too much. I mean come on. They are still flesh and bones and they're breaking steel doors and such, but still die when hit by a car?

Last edited by Jason Ross; December 17th, 2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: mispelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ross View Post
    I loved the ending. Happy but unhappy. The best part was the relationship of Neville and Sam, and their story. Not sure how the ending was religious and unlogical at the end so please explain when you read this. I agree with you, as far as I'm concerned the story was good up to and supposed to end from Neville's point of view when before Anna saved him...which i didn't like either. that whole Anna dynamic didnt seem logical enough for me to relate to. I didn't like the infected either. The whole "superhuman" aspect was just unrelatable to me. Making them more human like and using real people would have been better imo. The whole "jaw opening beyond possible" to make them seem more terrorizing got old real quick. I mean these vampire zombies had some intelligence so some of the sequences just didn't add up too much. I mean come on. They are still flesh and bones and they're breaking steel doors and such, but still die when hit by a car?
    the whole thing about anna "knowing" theres a survivors colony because of a message from god, and how now that everyone is gone everyone left can hear god cause of it being more quite. neville still doesnt believe her and then the infected cracks the glass that looks like a butterfly (wtf?) and he remembers his daughter saying "look to the butterfly" (wtf???) and then seeing a butterfly tattoo on anna's neck (again wtf??)

i didnt like the superhuman aspect of the infect either. so a virus can increase your speed, strength, reconstruct your jaw and teeth, make you crave human flesh? i would have rather them just be mindless people who had to be in the dark and were violent. them being in mass numbers is scary enough so making them super powered isnt necessary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spoilers ahead!!!

the whole thing about anna "knowing" theres a survivors colony because of a message from god, and how now that everyone is gone everyone left can hear god cause of it being more quite. neville still doesnt believe her and then the infected cracks the glass that looks like a butterfly (wtf?) and he remembers his daughter saying "look to the butterfly" (wtf???) and then seeing a butterfly tattoo on anna's neck (again wtf??)
    ahh...i was too distracted by all the shiny objects to see this. I thought that she came across info about the colony elsewhere but God told her to turn on the radio that day. Perhaps religion or signs can "tell" you to do seemingly irrational things that when come out positive ends up being percieved as Gods work.

i didnt like the superhuman aspect of the infect either. so a virus can increase your speed, strength, reconstruct your jaw and teeth, make you crave human flesh? i would have rather them just be mindless people who had to be in the dark and were violent. them being in mass numbers is scary enough so making them super powered isnt necessary
    99% agree. semi mindless...like maybe a violent 2 year old... mad baby. like the scene when he went into that building and saw all of them standing in that room all huddled up...scary stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    read the book!! i cant recommend it enough.
    it's a classic from 1954.
    the book is excellent...the story in the movie was totally different. i mean completely totalllllllly different.

i thought the movie was okay for the first half but fell apart pretty badly in the last 45 minutes.
    its strange how much they changed it so much from the book, the movie doesnt even preserve the whole reason of the title of the book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FYI, the last part of the movie was completely reshot around the beginning of November. In other words, the chick and the mute boy did NOT exist in the story at all until the reshoots.

And the book IS incredible and what I find amazing is that they use the title and the main character's name - but NOTHING else from the book. Like, WHY?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually thought the whole movie was pretty cool, I didn't see the butterfly in the glass, I was too caught in looking at the mutant's face screaming and so forth. The ending was a bit rushed I though, in the sense of connecting things together, but I did like the turn of the character and how clues were dropped through the movie that he was in a since a savior of the race. I will have to read the book, it sounds intriguing that the movie was completely different. And I will say the most touching part of the movie was the relationship with Sam and Neville. PatriciaS said the ending was re-shot, I hope they put the original on the DVD release to see.

I also was in a great mood to watch this because of the Batman trailer, what a great way to start the evening.

- Visions

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I thought that even though the movie is called I am Legend, it was based on the Omega Man book? Im not too sure though, havent read either.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    I thought that even though the movie is called I am Legend, it was based on the Omega Man book? Im not too sure though, havent read either.
    Backwards. The Omega Man and the Last Man on Earth were both adaptations of I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.

Last edited by Elwell; December 18th, 2007 at 10:55 AM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wesburt View Post
    the book is excellent...the story in the movie was totally different. i mean completely totalllllllly different.
    Yeah, the book trumps the movie in so many ways... I was bummed when I found out how little the movie stays with the book.

And for me, the whole bob marley thing was retarded too... "you see, bob marley was like a virologist..." huh!?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd have to agree with Wes. The book is amazing. I've read it and listened to the audio version. Possibly one of the scariest (psychological as well as intense-creepy) vampire stories I've read. From what I've seen of the film (previews, mind you), it looks as if I Am Legend (the novel) and Omega Man smashed together into a new story. I'll most likely still watch the film, but I'll just enjoy it for what it is - not what I want it to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cast Away

Chuck Noland: Wilson!?...Wilson!...Wilson!

I am Legend (2007)

Robert Neville: SAM!?...Sam!...S...Vampire!!! Oh noes!

Know what I mean?

I have to ask though. How the hell could the human body withstand 106 degree temperatures and a VERY fast heart beat at the rate the vampires were experiencing. And still be able to function and live?

Last edited by Costau D; December 18th, 2007 at 12:19 AM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They lost me at CG vampires...

Were all 600 creature and effects makeup studios in Hollywood and NY out for lunch when they went to pre-production on this? Is that the best they could give Will? A CG slack jaw vampire? CG Vampire Dogs? For God sakes the Resident Evil series did this and did it BETTER!

I am blown away that they tried to shove this mediocre visual down our collective throat. Will rocked this thing, he held back, he wasn't casual and funny he was honestly projecting a character, even in the medical jacket and glasses I didn't roll my eyes once...Will Smith playing doctor, convincingly, and then you cut to CG VAMPIRE

Could you imagine, 28 Days Later level makeup in this film? I would have gone back into the theatre for the second late show.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wesburt View Post
    read the book!! i cant recommend it enough.
    it's a classic from 1954.

i thought the movie was okay for the first half but fell apart pretty badly in the last 45 minutes.
    its strange how much they changed it so much from the book, the movie doesnt even preserve the whole reason of the title of the book.
    I definetly plan to. Im looking for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Presence View Post
    They lost me at CG vampires...
    I am blown away that they tried to shove this mediocre visual down our collective throat. Will rocked this thing, he held back, he wasn't casual and funny he was honestly projecting a character, even in the medical jacket and glasses I didn't roll my eyes once...Will Smith playing doctor, convincingly, and then you cut to CG VAMPIRE

Could you imagine, 28 Days Later level makeup in this film? I would have gone back into the theatre for the second late show.
    absolutely

Last edited by Jason Ross; December 18th, 2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *SPOILERS GALORE FOR BOTH BOOK AND MOVIE SO DON'T SWIPE TEXT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW*

I liked it and I have read the original short story. I do agree with the complaints on the ending. The books ending explains the title perfectly, the movie went in the completely different direction with the survivors colony and having the female character from the book be an actual human kind of pissed me off.

Allot of the changes made to the film worked rather well as an update. If the original story was turned into a series it would've been better. It took a while for Neville to figure out the genetic mutation angle in the book as he wasn't a scientist, and the fact that they ditched the different types of vampires sucked. In the book I liked his old car pool buddy yelling "Come out Neville!" every night and having that established interaction and plot device. Additionally in the book the vampires surround his house every night waiting for him to screw and that to me was much more intense. It seemed as if they started to go that direction in the beginning but then threw it all out of the window in the end where they "Found him" which made no sense. Short cutting him already having his dog still kept true to the device of the dog being the only thing keeping him from killing himself. What I didn't get was that 1 vampire is smart enough to build a perfectly executed snare, handle dogs, but can't speak... that was dumb.

What I will say is that after watching the Golden Compass the day before, this movie kicked the ever loving crap out of it. The Golden Compass was a pretty movie but I was bored to tears for all but 1 scene.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of the best things about the story was the ending. Matheson wrote some great stuff for the Twilight Zone, and the original story had a Twilight Zone style ending. Without that they shouldn't even call it I Am Legend. Looks like the Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price is still the best version.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    *SPOILERS GALORE FOR BOTH BOOK AND MOVIE SO DON'T SWIPE TEXT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW*
    **More Spoilers**

And to expand at what you began to mention - the perspective shift towards the end of the story in the book:
    The creatures that Neville had assumed all along were nothing more than brainless "things" - were actually intelligent. And in the end, HE (Neville) was their boogyman; their monster; he was the creature that killed them and wanted to destroy them. Hence, "I Am Legend".

**End

NOW, if the film makers had one iota of an idea of what a good story is - they have kept this major plot point IN and it would have made a badass movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriciaS View Post
    **More Spoilers**

And to expand at what you began to mention - the perspective shift towards the end of the story in the book:
    The creatures that Neville had assumed all along were nothing more than brainless "things" - were actually intelligent. And in the end, HE (Neville) was their boogyman; their monster; he was the creature that killed them and wanted to destroy them. Hence, "I Am Legend".

**End

NOW, if the film makers had one iota of an idea of what a good story is - they have kept this major plot point IN and it would have made a badass movie.
    Agreed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was good until the vampires show up. If the entire movie was just Will Smith and the dog, it would've been fine. But the CGI vampires ruined it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Orunitier View Post
    It was good until the vampires show up. If the entire movie was just Will Smith and the dog, it would've been fine. But the CGI vampires ruined it.
    You have to admit though, that scene in the building where he hits his flash light and sees that group of them huddled together was awesome. The CG wasn't that terrible, it just didn't match up to what it should have been. They should have used prosthetic make up and gone with real actors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    You have to admit though, that scene in the building where he hits his flash light and sees that group of them huddled together was awesome.
    scariest part of the movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreed, zombies were too generic and overpowered, after watching x amount of movies I feel like I know that they are and what they do, I suppose a virus can do many interesting things to humans rather than make them pale and aggressive, butterfly tattoo(?), but the city atmosphere and the way Will was making his living was awesome. Movie makers should forget about overused cliche and follow the book, it was written for a reason!

spoilers:

-I got the canned food, gas and ammo part but unlimited electricity source in dead city? (fresh bacon and eggs?)

-how did one frag grenade killed them all at the end? was it for the gas tanks he kept around?

-how come deers and lions were immune, but dogs and rats got infected?

-Will has hunted a lot of zombies for studies before, why did the zombie leader decided to revenge, after Will captured their 20 years old female? was it his "girlfriend"

-general question for all movies, what do infected eat to stay alive an be so energetic? They have to die out of hunger and dehydration right? They are still flesh and bone.

P.S. This is the original movie trailer from 1964:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4mYireNvcg

and Omega Man 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-MosmUseSY

Last edited by Paul Dolgov; December 22nd, 2007 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spoilers

^ I can questions 3 and 4:

3. The animals were immune to the airborne virus. The rats were injected by Neville and his dog was bitten by an infected dog. As long as they didn't get bit, the deer and lions are okay.

4. I don't know about the book (haven't read it...yet), but in the first movie, not all of the vampires were crazy. Some people got infected and were still intelligent, but could only come out at night. In this movie, instead of having two types of vampires, it shows that they aren't as mindless as Neville thinks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As a standalone film, not bad.

As an adaptation of one of my favourite books, that fails on every imaginable level.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just saw it. It was very disappointing. On one level, the vampires were literally clones. Who ever was the animator in the movie just sculpted one model and multiplied it like a hundred times. It was really good until about half way through. It pretty much fell apart when the vampires made the trap. Also their mouths moved much wider than a normal human beings. This is a structural adaptation. Structural adaptations don't occur during the animals life cycle but rather during development in the animal's mother's womb. There were many things to point out here but I don't have the time and I'm sure it's already been said.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artistpavel View Post
    I got the canned food, gas and ammo part but unlimited electricity source in dead city? (fresh bacon and eggs?)
    He had a generator to run his electricity. That's one of the reasons why he was collecting gas. If you don't know what a generator is then go to Home Depot and ask about one.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was looking forward to this. Never read the book, but the idea of the legend role reversal I read about online (which is aparently part of the novel) had me really excited.

In the end the story was stright forward, the vampires looked like CRAP and it was all just frumpy and boring.

I agree though that the first time he found the vamps all huddled in a corner was the best part of the movie. They should have just copied that moment into the rest of the encounters. And used real people. And didn't give them super powers. And followed the original story. And and and...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes I was also pretty disappointed. And they didn't tie up the storyline where someone hung that bloody piece of meat (ie the woman) in his house dripping with blood? That would have kept in line with the novel. There is talk of there being a re shoot because test audiences found the original endiong to be too depressing. If thats the case, then I say: fuck those guys.
    what the hell are they teaching in the animation/film/acting/whatever schools today by the way? every damn film has monsters howling and screaming in rage at the camera in every scene. (see 30 days of night, dawn of the dead remake etc) For the love of god, think of something ELSE to emote your fucking characters besides useless howling.

On a side note, abandoned NYC was EXCELLENT!

Last edited by timpaatkins; December 23rd, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ending was weird... They have the cure. Now what? They capture every last mutant and inject them???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.