Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    wow the proportions on this one are really good the values are great too. this
    last portrait is much improved from the last ones, too. all I can say is relax and think about the lines before you put them down.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Finally got around to scanning some stuff in.

I call these, "me stumbling around trying to figure out how to hatch"

Name:  canhatch.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  lightbulbs.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  74.9 KB

Then here's a SP I did today. I don't like it. There are a lot of obvious problems with it. Oddly, I find it much harder to draw myself than other people. Partially, I think it's really awkward drawing from a mirror, I don't like it, or maybe I just need to get a bigger mirror. I dunno... I am happy with how far I was able to take it though, considering I started out by butchering the paper, pretty much giving up on it, then deciding to actually try to finish it. Anyways, I'm planning to do a SP everyday for a week or so. Hopefully I'll be happy with one or two of them. Hey, I might even see some improvement.

Name:  SP4.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  151.6 KB

Any advice on hatching would be appreciated, I understand the, "follow the form of the surface" thing, and I'm trying, but as soon as it seems I've figured out how to do it, I get lost again. I'm having a lot of trouble with making the form read right. Maybe I should go do a Rembrandt copy or something.

And now, some random stuff from the last month or so. The first two were done within the last day or so.

Name:  Jpp.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  CDYV.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  lilbro.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  rgirl.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  56.5 KB

Thanks for the posts and advice everyone. I'm off to bed. Hopefully I'll do something worth showing tomorrow.

Last edited by Swampdigger; February 24th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Mark 12:28-31

Thanks
    as far as hatching goes try to slow down and make every stroke deliberate. specially when drawing from reference
    it's great that you're drawing youre brother and his friends so big that will definitely help you see shapes and scale while working on confident lines.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

Thanks
    Some stuff I've been doing recently.

Another try on the SP. Happier with this one. I'd like some critiques on this, proportion-wise along with anything else anyone can come up with.

Name:  scan0002.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  185.1 KB

Some Bridgman, I recently got Complete Guide to Drawing From Life, been reading through it, drawing pretty much everything, trying to get it inside my head.

Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  scan0007.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  scan0008.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  96.7 KB

Now just some random drawings a couple people. I think I'm actually getting slightly better at these. Thanks goes to Pennington for some helpful reminders and advice.

Name:  scan0004.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  scan0005.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  60.1 KB

And a quick sketch in my moleskin I did today, was a bit hurried as I was on a schedule and the light was fading. I found it was really hard to draw in a small book standing out in the snow with no support for my arms. Heh, go figure.

Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  150.3 KB

Man it's nice getting to the second page. Haha, I was getting so tired of waiting for all my drawing to finally load so I could get to the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Swampdigger; February 29th, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks

But mo-om, all the cool kids are doing it

Hooray for color. Decided to join the crowd and do a few of these color study landscape... things.

Name:  Alaska Range.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  58.5 KB

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    The SP is great man. The lifedrawings are looking cool too, do tons of these. Even if they look like gestures, capture the pose, then if you have time, render the face or whatever.
    Anyways, keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Very nice work!
    (Wish I could have seen it made!)

Thanks
    hey swampdigger,
    you are doing great man, i like all the new updates and the experiments that you are doing with ome of your artwork. keep it up man, and best of luck

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    you're peeps are great, that sp is rad. I still gotta stress controlled thought-out strokes when you're placing values. the bridgman has great fluidity though keep doing those.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments guys, I haven't gotten around to posting recently, had to take an unplanned trip for a few days. Trying to draw in cars=hard. Anyways, stuff from the past week and a half.

First of, some more Bridgman, I really wish my scanner was bigger, cause these were so nicely placed on the page, haha, but I had to chop them up to get them all.

Name:  scan0002.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  86.8 KB Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  47.8 KB Name:  3-10-080008.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  47.2 KB

Moleskin sketches, had fun with these, I realize there are quite a few problems on these. Notably, the perspective on the third one.

Name:  3-10-080001.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  3-10-080002.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  3-10-080003.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  3-10-080004.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  49.7 KB

Now some other pencil drawings. I really need to be pushing the values, something I'm still having trouble with.

Name:  3-10-080005.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  3-10-080006.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  3-10-080007.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  84.2 KB

Another SP, considerably happier with this one, the likeness is a bit better. A bit more challenging too, since the light was less harsh, so there were alot less obvious shadow. Still having some trouble slowing done and really paying attention to every stroke. Doing better with it though, I think. Ignore the close crop... if possible, either I need a larger scanner, or I need a smaller sketchbook, heh heh. I feel like the scanner also lost some of the details too. I dunno. I'd really like crits on this one, still struggling to figure out which direction some of my lines should be going.

Name:  SP4.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  169.3 KB

Oh, and some more posemaniacs, I feel like I'm starting to understand the gesture, I don't know if it's visible in this, but I thought I felt improvement from the top of the page to the bottom.

Name:  Posemaniacsss.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  86.6 KB

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Your stuff is great, your lines look fluid and it seems as though you know where you want to go with them.
    For you latest Sp, I dont know what to say, it looks solid, but I would suggest push the values more. Make those darks stand out alot more, it makes it look alot more depth is in it. As for which direction to go with your lines, im not sure if there is a universal rule, but I would think as long as they compliment the shapes and form of the subject it really wouldnt matter.
    But your on the right track, keep up the studies and draw as much as you can.

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=113536 Feel free to critique, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    the sp looks great. the hatching is good too, you're making good decisions there isn't one way to do it.a couple of things about value, 3 values in the light and 2 in the shade. also think about core the shadow as the form turns away from the light. the gestures are sweet, i'm envious, keep doing those. with the value studies, decide what your lightest and darkest values will be in the picture and then everything else is just in between. so in the towers you have three tones from the light of the paper to medium value. but you can get much darker. you can also try using softer pencil lead like 4-6B to get darker values.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    First off, thanks for the comments guys.

Second off: Woah, I didn't realize how long it's been since I posted last. I blame it on the fact that it takes over an hour to scan everything in and get it ready to post. heh. Anyways, here's what I have to offer.

First off, three small acrylic paintings. Trying to get a better hold on acrylic. These are the most recent of my paintings, and by far the best, I feel like I'm getting a much better hang of it. One thing I'm not sure about is if it's best to do the lighter shades of monochrome paintings by thinning the paint with water, which pretty much makes it a watercolor (what I've been doing) or to mix white into the paint, which would give me practice with mixing at the simplest level.

Name:  4-30-080001.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  4-30-080002.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  96.4 KB

Now a few people I've drawn from life. Some of these are turning out decent, but I also have days where everything I do is pretty much worthless.

Name:  4-30-080003.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  4-30-080005.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  4-30-080009.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  4-30-080015.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  4-30-080014.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  71.8 KB

Smudging on this one came from the opposite page. Kinda annoying.
    Name:  4-30-080010.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  4-30-080013.jpg
Size:  81.0 KB

I've also been going through some "show us your picture" threads on forums. And been doing quick sketches of the people. Not exactly great lighting but you get to draw alot of different people without having to search a whole bunch. A couple results of that.

Name:  4-30-080012.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  62.0 KB

A couple Bridgman, definently haven't been doing as much as I should.

Name:  4-30-080006.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  4-30-080007.jpg
Size:  84.4 KB

Something done from my head that turned out okay. Well except for the shoes, arm length, and other stuff. haha.

Name:  4-30-080004.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  68.7 KB

And for good measure, one of the posemaniac pages I've done. I'm probably doing one of these every three days or so on average.

Name:  posemaniacs15.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  88.1 KB

Overall I feel like I'm doing a bit better on value, but I know I really need to do some serious study. Hopefully I'll get to that this week.

Feedback on any of my art would be appreciated.

My Sketchbook

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.