Sketchbook: Personal Sketchbook [Critique needed on w.i.p.]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Personal Sketchbook [Critique needed on w.i.p.]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Personal Sketchbook [Critique needed on w.i.p.]

Introduction
    Hi, my name is Ruben. I am 20 years old and currently live in a small town outside of New Orleans, Louisiana. I have many interests including playing guitar, writing music and short stories, role-playing with friends, and playing video games.
    I've been drawing since I was very young, but didn't really think anything of it until recently. I grew up watching animes like, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Dragonball, Vampire Hunter D, etc... so of course I tried to draw manga. Now that I'm trying to get into the world of fine art, I'm finding that I have to first un-learn a lot of bad habits.
    Hopefully, when I get into school I'll be able to have my many questions answered.

Seeking Mentor
    I am currently seeking a mentor to help me learn how to draw anatomy properly and how lighting works in any given drawing. If you think I am worthy of your mentorship, please send me an e-mail or respond here. I am serious about learning; anything will help.

Top Five Favorite Artists
    1.) Marko Djurdjevic
    2.) Alan Lee
    3.) Justin Sweet
    4.) Todd Lockwood
    5.) Donato Giancola

Sketchbook
    A compilation of conceptual drawings, most of which are fairly old.

Name:  Human Rogue.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  mercenary2.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  315.7 KB

Name:  Zombie_hunter_concept_by_rubengramos.jpe
Views: 278
Size:  155.3 KB

Last edited by ruben_g_ramos; April 16th, 2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Organizing.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my book, this stuff isn't looking too bad. But I think you could definitely work on anatomy. A lot of it seems highly simplified or stylized, especially the one mercenary dude. Anways, I really enjoy the "human rouge" drawing, something about that guys hair...

My Sketchbook

Mark 12:28-31

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I definately agree with you. I think I need a poseable doll or something. Thanks for the comments. I know I'm not that great, but I really do want to learn and get better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update
    These are a couple of newer drawings, but were still drawn before my recent studies.
    Name:  knight.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  cilas.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  illion.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  41.3 KB

Last edited by ruben_g_ramos; April 13th, 2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Attatched images, instead of hotlinking.

Nickles is offline Hi. This is my custom user title. Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are a lot of really great anatomy books out there. If you don't have the money or don't want to go to the store, somebody put a bunch of Loomis books online. (If you download the ZIP file you get all of the books)

Some of your figures seem really stiff, especially the paladin, and I think Figure Drawing for All its Worth or the one hogarth book might really help! Generally I find that the posedoll things don't help much except with proportions which don't really seem to be that big a deal for you.

Besides that you have neat character concepts, I like the elven thief one. And I agree, the Rogue does have cool hair!

My Sketchbook

I like ice cream

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I definately agree with you.. Actually ever since I found this site I've realized how much work I have to do.

I've gone to the library and checked out a bunch of books on anatomy and have begun trying to learn more about it. I'll be posting some new sketches up when I get the time. Thanks for the advice though.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, saw your thread about improving so I thought I would see what you've actually got here.

I'm gonna be blunt and to-the-point here, please understand that it's for your own good.

You said you want to draw anatomy, so draw it. Making your own characters is all well and good, but drawing from your mind aimlessly isn't going to get you anywhere, anytime soon.

You also said you want to draw well, and quickly. Well unfortunately, you can't learn to make amazing sketches in a few minutes by doing quick scribbles.
    The best thing you can do at this point is to sit down for a few hours, and do some observational drawings.
    If you can find some life drawing classes, go to them! If not, then set up some still life stuff to draw. Start with the basics, eggs, cubes, apples, etc.

http://www.posemaniacs.com - Wonderful site.
    A huge CGI database of the human form. There is also the 30second drawing utility. If you want to draw fast, start there.
    On that note, drawing fast isn't something that you should be aiming for at this stage. Speed comes with practice. Prioritize. Quality first.

There's much more I could go on about, but I'll leave you with that for now.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As hunter said, you should practice anatomy, get some art books, some pictures, try to learn from it. You'll see huge improvements, believe me!

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the imput. And, it's not so much that I want to draw fast, I just didn't know if it took the average artist a while to just sketch (shading and all) a simple figure, because I can't seem to do it.

I've checked out probably close to ten anatomy books from the library which I have been trying to read and observe and copy but, I find it difficult to learn from other drawings. I'm trying to go to college this next semester for Fine Arts, but that's not soon enough.

But thank-you for comments, I will definately begin drawing more from life and objects. It's just hard sice I've been drawing for so long now, but what I've been drawing has been heavily influenced from anime, which is not where I want to go at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_g_ramos View Post
    I've checked out probably close to ten anatomy books from the library which I have been trying to read and observe and copy but, I find it difficult to learn from other drawings.
    Copying is one of the hardest things in art. But there is some 'tricks' that can really make it somewhat easier. At the moment i'm using a mix between 'rulers' and copying.

Most art books give you the "8 head figure", with simple measurements, like distance from head to niple, from nipple to nipple. If you have a good eye for measures, you can even do it without a rule.
    What i'm trying to do is, after you lay a simple model, you them go for the anatomy books and try to draw the right muscles in the right places, is pretty easier this way, because with the 'landmarks' laid out, you can use them as guides: "oh this muscle start close to the nipple, and ends on the middle of the belly".

And then you go on, trying to increase the difficulty as you master the steps. Dont get down man, copying is incredible hard. Even masters used lots of 'tricks' to deal with it, gridlines is an example.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that's not a bad idea... I also think I'm using the wrong paper. What paper would you recommend for sketching?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your armor and weaponry designs, but your anatomy does need improvement. your scanning looks a bit crude. or do you use photographs? maybe a beter scanner/ photoshop adjustments would do your work more justice

As for anatomy, you really just need to draw alot, every day, nonstop. but you will get there! The most important thing is to be patient with yourself, and dont be afraid of drawing any outrageously hard ideas that you have, even if you know it wont look good of you try.
    A quick tip I find useful is learn to draw lightly, with thin lines. Dont overdraw the same line too many times. Start out with drawing some challenging perspectives, i.e. overhead shots, foreshortening. I dont know if you've tried drawing women, but I dont see any here.

Live figure dawing always helps. motion gesture drawings will also force you to improve. get a feel for different body types. It just takes time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks.

I think my biggest challenge is taking my time. I used to be able to draw characters very quickly, but now that I'm trying to do it right I've found that I can't rush through it. I'm having to really take my time.

I've checked out a bunch of books from the library and have been trying to draw whenever I get the chance. I'm going to posts some anatomy drawings that I did soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update
    Hey these are my very first "anatomy" sketches. The scans weren't dark enough so I had to enhance the contrast so you could see it.

Name:  anatomy2.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  anatomy1.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  42.0 KB

Last edited by ruben_g_ramos; April 13th, 2008 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work for a first try on anatomy! Your arms seem alright so far. You might need some work on torsos though. Honestly your torsos so far look kinda paper- baggy. Prehaps sketch some muscle diagrams from anatomy or biology books- they really help.
    Again I'd love to see some faces from life and female anatomy, but take your time and keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man, I appreciate the critique.

Yeah, now that I look at the torso, I can see what you mean.

Last edited by ruben_g_ramos; April 5th, 2008 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should have some new pictures soon, so check back in soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update
    Here some new drawings. I'm sorry my scanner is not very good, so they look really crappy. Anyways, let me know what you think.

Name:  scan00000030.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  scan2102d.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  scan000000040.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  15.2 KB

Last edited by ruben_g_ramos; April 13th, 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update
    The first one is a newer drawing that I'm not entirely sure about. I like it, but I'm not sure if the sword looks like it's hanging correctly on his back, and if the anatomy is right.

The second drawing is an older study on an armor type.

Name:  scan5151k.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  study2.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  107.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update
    A quick sketch I did for a friend's RPG character that I did a while ago.

Name:  anithiel2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  215.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update
    Another older image of a dwarven warrior for the LoTR:RPG by Decipher Inc.

Name:  thrain.jpe
Views: 196
Size:  34.0 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.