Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Just a quick upload. This is about 15 minutes. Sort of working something out for a kids book idea I had before. Inkblots.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A short intro for my flash animations.

Thanks
    I updated the splash intro a bit and added some sound.

Thanks
    Just quickly uploading this preview of an "initial concept" for my kids story.

If anyone has any advice on how I can make the butterfly look better (it seems like it's too hard to "read" at the moment), then I'd greatly appreciate it.

I know inkblots don't usually have that much colour, but I really want to have some vibrancy going on here. Again any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    The lines themselves were chosen as actual colours, I hadn't burned or dodged them, the shading is also just mixes of gray, dark red and navy blue.
    Yeah, I didn't think you had. It just looked a little as if you did. I'm not sure what gave that impression... perhaps some of the shadows were too saturated? (To quote Prom: Shadows are quite flat and generally less saturated than the lit side.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Lulie,

Thanks for the link, I'd seen that tutorial a while ago but completely forgot about it (shameful, because it's actually a very good read). I think I know what you mean, though part of my style is I'm trying to make things more saturated and colourful, including the shadows. Maybe just bringing back the saturation on the shadows will help though, thanks!

Thanks
    Update on Inkblot Book. Constructive crit very much encouraged.
    Last edited by BlightedArt; January 27th, 2009 at 03:12 AM.

Thanks
    Final update for tonight.

Not really sure what to do with the background though.

Thanks
    Hm, I think I preferred the boy's hair without the black parts. Or maybe you could make the black parts a dark blonde/brown, to fit with the general lack of black outlines? (I know there are some black outlines, but I mean it mostly isn't. Like for the face and stuff.)

Also, the swooshy colours the butterfly left behind were more obvious in the first version, and I like that. Maybe you could make them stronger in this version, too? Especially considering it's more glowy now, so it would leave more of a trail.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulie View Post
    Hm, I think I preferred the boy's hair without the black parts. Or maybe you could make the black parts a dark blonde/brown, to fit with the general lack of black outlines? (I know there are some black outlines, but I mean it mostly isn't. Like for the face and stuff.)

Also, the swooshy colours the butterfly left behind were more obvious in the first version, and I like that. Maybe you could make them stronger in this version, too? Especially considering it's more glowy now, so it would leave more of a trail.

Thanks Lulie, that's a good point. Another thing my gf mentioned is that her attention was immediately drawn to the blonde haired kid because of the hairs vibrancy, and the other kid was nearly unnoticed. Not sure if I want to actually have that effect on the audience, or if I should probably balance out how much both the kids pop out. But it was all to do with the hair, and the black line contrast on the hair that you were talking about

The colours of the butterfly's path have been made a little more obvious (I think it looks better too, thanks Lulie), they'll become more obvious later on when I add "particles". Here's the pic updated so far.

Thanks
    I don't think the sullen dark background works. It's a kid's story, shouldn't those be colorful, contrastful, or light? I think no kid is gonna like or even notice the dark-dressing dude, he's a dud. Check out some really good illustrated kid books.

By the way, the new strong lines below the blond kid's eyes are really weird and make no sense at all... He has hair there or something? It feels like you haven't yet settled on a style to use and are mixing incompatible ones.

About the image as a whole, what's fun to look at and pops out? Only the blond guy's face really. The focus is not at all on the butterfly. In fact, it's hard to shift focus between the two; they're like two seperate images. Both subjects are far apart and there is nothing that guides the eye around the image. You initially look at either one or the other and it's an immediate dead stop there.

But now my main point:

I have no idea what you're going for in this story, but the deal is that there's an animated ink blotch butterfly, right? I could be wrong, but I think that's really cool so I go with that. What's the most striking feature? It's a ink blotch, while the rest of the world is real. How do you deal with that?

Adult option: Make the butterfly more real and fit the world. Boring!

Kid option: Make the world some measure of "real", but the butterfly definitely not. Overall it's an illustrated world with a sense of depth, but the butterfly is decidedly 2D (in its 2D world, it can be drawn in perspective of course, but that's not the point). Perhaps really like an ink blotch on top of the real book's page. But the two realities can interact nontheless... Hogwash! Madness! Impossible! Cool!

Your current approach lies somewhere in between. It blurs both realities but in doing so makes it harder to read and lose its impact. And from some points of view, the butterfly seems even more real than the kids, which is probably not your intention.

For example, to strongly differentiate between the two realities, make everything non-black, colorful, lowly-saturated, and low contrast in the "real world", and compose anything from the "ink world" from solid black parts (the butterfly and perhaps anything on the pages of a book in the "real world"). You could use this effect throughout, or only in proximity to something from the ink world.
    Last edited by Jasper Flick; January 29th, 2009 at 08:50 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper Flick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have already reached quite impressive level for cartoon characters and yours studies going great. Keep pushing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to serio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Keeps getting better. ^^

The new red lines look a little too much like blood to me; I preferred the more subtle version. The boy dressed in black kinda looks as though he has bloodshot eyes now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey man. Its great to see many studies in here. Keep up the mixture of observational drawings and concept pieces. With the last one, watch out with how digital the image can look. The edges of the room look too sharp and flat. You could add atmospheric perspective in there and soften some of the hard distracting edges that arent really where our attention should be.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bendragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi guys, thanks so much for your advice, I'm still going about implementing them, but here's my progress so far. As always Constructive Crit encouraged.

Edit: My eye is still drawn to the boys initially, so I have to work on making the butterfly pop out more, and the boys not so much... Also I'm going to bring the back wall forward so that it won't be cropped out of the final image.

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast