Sketchbook: Sketchytime. (please visit later pages) - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketchytime. (please visit later pages)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Liffey.

Just a few more sketches and a couple things from uni too. The black and white chiaroscuro studies were set up with establishing a texture on cardboard using gesso and mostly brushes (some household objects...) then painting them black, then drybrushing with white over the top. The one with the "cupped" hand was a bit cheaply done though, using a photo with a "traced outline" onto the cardboard as a reference... the other hand has the tracing too but only very faintly, so I still had to work from my reference by eye a lot (tutor didn't want us to do that... but I really wanted to practice with hands so...)

Couple more sketches of my alien character! I decided his antenna to have a mind of its own, somewhat assisting him and annoying him at times.... And really great for emotive expressiveness. But it causes him to feel irrational fear because his antenna has become scared of something in the distance he's not aware of yet... or causes a lot of ambivalence and confused emotions. His people all have one of these, but the black bud at the tip (which holds the brain of the antenna) are usually removed after their teen years (angst, ambivalence, confused emotions har har)... which renders the antenna lifeless... This alien is a special case, emancipated himself and went rogue for a while so the operation was never conducted on him. There's also a brief sketch of his vehicle .... which has a few artifacts salvaged from Earth on it. Earth is destroyed in my story, and pays a homage to Douglas Adams' "Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" by being described as "euthanised to make way for an interstellar bypass".

Other bits and bobs in there too.

Edit: Oh yeah! Life news, I just got accepted for a part time graphic/web designer permanent position while undergoing my study! So fricken stoked about it!!!

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Last edited by BlightedArt; March 9th, 2010 at 05:29 AM.

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude - the chiaroscuro studies lookin good! And loving the cartoon alien sketches and backstory - so bursting with character and energy! Keep up the great work and all the best with your graphics/web designer position!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much man!

Bit of fun.

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe - I can hear that 'triiiing' noise already ;P

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really love your style

These recent hands are amazingggg

Love the Sonic and Tails lollll

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorExcursion For This Useful Post:

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol sonic... Nice stuff going on! Congrats on your position, can't wait to see more stuff!

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to My57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ta' very much you lot!

Another dry brush image with some really badly done hands... Bah. It's for Illustration class: Trying to make a comment on how you'll forfeit opportunities if you stay within your comfort zones, but it's a tough one...

And storyboards for my animation course which I'm really enjoying at the moment. The storyboards themselves are pretty crappy.... There's also the red coloured image of the bridge monster too, just trying out colour schemes for when he's angry haha. Another shot from illustrator with his "parts" assembled together in a sideview for animating... and also a scribble of him acting as a bridge.

If you guys have any constructive feedback I'd really love to hear it. Thanks muchly!

Last edited by BlightedArt; March 16th, 2010 at 04:30 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just another one then off to bed. Opening scene from my uni animation assignment. Just a rough concept however.

Constructive feedback much appreciated!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    John Howe and Alan Lee came to our University tonight to give a talk about their conceptual roles in Lord of the Rings. It was a very inspiring presentation. If I discover that my uni has recorded the session (unlikely, but they've done that sort of thing before) then I'll try and persuade them to get it online for you guys.

Anyway, was pretty pumped when I came home to do a bit of drawing! Also pretty tired though. Here's a WIP I started pretty late in the eve, so it's not gone very far.

I tried experimenting with just laying some grey-tone values down first, then adding a "block colour layer" on top and set its mode to Overlay, and try putting colour on top... I kind of like the result, at least so far it appeared better than I thought, but I might start the colour again... Skin tones etc are more likely to desaturate at the highlights and saturate more at the mid-point between light and dark, and this method doesn't really do that (the stronger "snot green" as I like to call it, is an individual colour I brushed over the top, but it's looking a little TOO saturated).

Any comments on the colour or recommendations etc would be much appreciated. I'm gonna turn in for the night now. Ciao!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    John Howe and Alan Lee? WOOOOOOOOW! That sounds super inspiring and epic

Aww, poor alien! I really feel sorry for the guy on the bottom. :<

As for the colouring. Julie Dillon wrote a REALLY amazing b&w-to-colour tutorial, you can see it here. I'd add more colour variations in the shadow area; highlights too. You can switch to L*a*b colour palette/slider things in Photoshop, I find it far more intuitive when I want to go a bit crazy with colour. It gives you really intense results. Tom Scholes wrote quite a few good colour exercises (with theory), so check them out if you want to

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Donna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Donna! Wow thanks so much, that's awesome! I'll get to it right after class haha. Never used L*a*b colour before so this'll be interesting! Thanks again,

I'll try dig up that Howe and Lee presentation, hope they recorded it. >_<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!

Just updating with my animation project from university, this was a really fun assignment though I really need to get some sleep.... Haha... We had to choose an inanimate object and animate two characteristics throughout the animation... Mine were Weakness and Anger.

Music credits: "Revvin' Up" by Crush 40

The intro song was supplied by my university, no credits were included.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.

Been watching the documentary "Helvetca", and it got me in the mood to do something with it. Nothing big, but it was fun. Right! Off to bed now!

The issue #1 part just came from when my gf said she thought it looked like a comic book cover. Hehe.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    GOOD WORK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks Mr. Butkus!

Just uploading with something for work. It's really simple and pretty bad but it was very fun. I've never really tried the retro cartoon style from 1950s childrens books and such... but this project had me look at Ray Favata and Saul Bass to try and come up with something. We originally had some really wild ideas for this. An article for Tommy's Magazine (real estate) here was discussing cellphones and how they're used today. We had ideas for an alien in space phoning earth to ask for directions/... a miniature earth with a person standing on the top of the planet, having a conversation over the phone with a person on the underside of the planet hanging on for dear life calling for help.. People with cellphone heads... cellphones standing by the watercooler at work. Some crazier ideas than that...

But we ended up taking it right back to something simple: The kind of audience that'll be reading this article will be reading a real estate magazines: Mostly people in their 30s and higher who are just looking to buy a house... in fact most of their readers are near 60 years old, hence why we picked the ray favata / saul bass approach, they're old but still well known and used today so.

Anyway, blathering over. Cheers for looking:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick 9cm high sketch... Prrt.

Saw How to Train Your Dragon and just had this guy pop into my head. For my "Alien captain" idea. The creatures stomach is bloated with helium, constantly making him float, and the bones from its ribcage protrude out of his body to make hollowed out exhaust ports. It spurts out gas behind it (don't worry, doesn't stink) to shoot itself off in one direction, while the gas inside it keeps it floating... The downside is that if it floats into the sky it will lose control of itself amidst its speed, so it uses the arms and legs to anchor itself to the ground during movement.

It looks like it's running like a panther, but really it's just repeatedly dragging itself down to the ground with it's arms and legs to retain control... the run cycle will look pretty interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook makes me happy, haha. Really loving your sketches, lovely style and lots of character. Definately going to come back for moar.

Thanks for helping me out by the way, going to make sure i get some more sleep now
    Actually going to sleep now which is like 2 hours earlier than normal, woo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers.

Been busy at uni lately. I'll put up more sketches once they're scanned, but here's what I've been workin' on. Two A3 watercolour paintings and a 3D environment in Maya (first model I've made).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another A3 watercolour. Really loving them. My alien captain in a rather dangerous situation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time no CA.org.

Just uploading a bunch of stuff... in the middle of a couple other things too.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updating with a WIP. Not sure why the last few images have been of my protagonist getting his butt whipped but oh well.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty much only drawing him at the moment. Need to change the subject matter :/ haha..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was doing graphic design for uni tonight. Took a bite of time to work on the last pic a bit more... toying with red/green contrasts and trying out a nice chalk-brush idea i found on CG Society. Any helpful info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Managed to upload a walk cycle (albeit bad quality) to youtube. Any animators (or not!) with advice, please let me know!! Pencils took about 2 1/2 hours, about 14 frames.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches, keep it up! What happened with the robo-boy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks cheetah! Um... how do you mean?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I mean where is the rest of the story?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel cheetah View Post
    I mean where is the rest of the story?
    Ah right. That's the only segment we were handed in class unfortunately, so that's the only part that was illustrated. ^^;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uni's starting to get busy again, managed to get time working on this fella.

Everyone, meet Steve the janitor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19