Sketchbook: Sketchytime. (please visit later pages) - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketchytime. (please visit later pages)

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A few drawings from over the weekend while hanging out with a friend. I'm really getting sidetracked by video games and procrastination however. Gah... *needs a boot up the rear*

The lady drawing was from no reference.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's a really fine sketchbook! Full of colourful and schizo art, with sharp angles and outlines, a mixture between 70's cartoons and futurism! Dynamic and eye catching for sure Keep up the good work

pld: Too much pressure! My deviantART site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again it's slightly hard to tell because there are sketchy lines, but I think that last lady's booty needs to be bigger, and her legs lower down.

According to Loomis' Figure Drawing for All Its Worth, the distance between the chin and the nipples is the same as the distance between the nipples and the waist/navel, which is the same as between the waist and the crotch. (For females, the nipples are slightly lower, and the navel is slightly below the narrowest point in the waist.)

So to apply this to your picture, make the last section (waist->crotch) longer. Another thing I noticed is that you seem to lack distinction between the hip and the part where the leg's attached... the leg seems to be attached at the hip, which isn't right. I've done a quick redline to illustrate both points. I recommend checking different references because my redline isn't well-drawn, but hopefully it gives the rough idea (incidentally, I probably should have made it even longer than I did -- it still surprises me how long that section is, heh. Also it just occurs to me that the left-hand hip of the drawing on the right is wrong: I think it should go out lower down maybe..er, check other refs >_> ).

PS: Femur including the 'head' part (though as you can see, the simplistic version I drew is the head-and-then-a-bit): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gray252.png

Edit: Oh, and I slightly changed the pose of the legs on the picture on the right. Just warning: lots of mistakes in my red(/blue)line.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it looks verrryy good n thank u for the support i hope that great things will happen for u n thank u for the website very helpfull

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, and thank you Lulie for the exceptional advice. Female anatomy is really something I should practice drawing more (instead of robots!)

Thank you very much!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progression with colors. Nice varied stuff, keep it coming!

My sketchbook contains cartoon studies and Pokémon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your cartoon characters. Not sure if you want to continue in this style but it works really well. Keep practicing those life drawings.

2011 Sketchbook

New Helzon's SB R.I.P. Mike

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" -Zdzislaw Beksinski

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lone Wolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much guys!

Just a little experiment today. I'm aware that I need to work further on skeletons from reference, but this is moreso about seeing how far is too far with regards to line strokes.

Quite a fun little test, recommend you try it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting technique. I'd be curious to see what it would be like to do the opposite: what's the minimum number/length of lines you could do to suggest a believable subject?

Looks like fun. A bit messy for my tastes, but some of those lines do look good and could enhance a cartoonish picture. I'd guess it could also be useful in certain situations to convey ..stuff. I can't think of a specific one right now but seems handy to keep in mind.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulie View Post
    Interesting technique. I'd be curious to see what it would be like to do the opposite: what's the minimum number/length of lines you could do to suggest a believable subject?

Looks like fun. A bit messy for my tastes, but some of those lines do look good and could enhance a cartoonish picture. I'd guess it could also be useful in certain situations to convey ..stuff. I can't think of a specific one right now but seems handy to keep in mind.
    Thanks Lulie, I sort of tried it out very quickly in this next sketch here, of a hand. I'm quite keen to try it on something more complex now. And you're right about the messiness of the last pic, but it did sort of open up an interesting new "thing" I'd like to try more often if moderated correctly.

Anyway, the aforementioned "hand" test with minimal lines, and a Hellboy quickie.

Edit: Added posemaniacs, 60 second sketches, from this morning before work.

Last edited by BlightedArt; October 7th, 2008 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you're so dedicated!

Raz instantly caught my attention, nice work! Although, his head does seem too small, and where's the background?

Your work is looking great, so I think time invested in some perspective would take it so much further.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Max!

Messing around a little with colour:

Edit: I tried two colours for shading for the green boy / wolf (the blue and purple), please comment on what you think of it!! Also any feedback on how to make the scythe look "blunt" (trying to avoid sharp knife-like objects, TV regulations: just as practice), but still look cool and convincing, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by BlightedArt; October 16th, 2008 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what the hell?!
    these little cartoon guys are amazing
    seriously dude these are gorgeous great lines and clean coloring
    post more!
    keep it up and stop by sometime bro
    -=jedi=-

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jedininjaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks jedininjaman! (Best username ever, gives me an idea on what ethnicity to put on my Census)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To blunt the scythe, maybe make it rounded instead of pointy at the tip? (Perhaps curving the highlights more to match this?)

Colouring looks very nice. I like the purple dude most (also the wolfe). One thing, though: they all have a 'cold' tone feel -- perhaps you could warm the main colour more, to balance it out (especially with the girls)?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm with Lulie. Also the double-color shading gives a bit messier an impressions than the single-color. I think it fits the chaotic werewolf more than the simple kid.

Knifes must be blunt on TV? Huh... good for sadistic killers I guess...

My sketchbook contains cartoon studies and Pokémon.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper Flick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks very much for the CC.

Lulie: The cold colours were somewhat intentional other than for the blonde haired girl, after reading your comment and looking back at the girl she does seem to have this odd "cold" colour scheme which I'd never noticed before (warm compared to the other characters, but still cold in general), so thank you for pointing that out to me. ^^ Very interesting...

And that idea for the scythe might work very well, so I'll give it a go. Cheers man.

Jasper_Flick: An excellent point about the double shading too, and how much more chaotic it can make an image look. I could really use that advice in future now so that's fantastic!!!

Also really knives DON'T need to be blunt on regular TV but, I used to do short cartoons for a little kids show here, where knives and cigars etc would be inappropriate.

^ The fun part about that is that we were always trying to see how far we could take things, like replacing a cigar in someones mouth with a leek or vegetable, then LIGHTING the vegetable and smoking it etc... just saying "well hey, he's not smoking a cigar." Push the envelope!

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    adorable characters.
    i like your use of line weight and color.
    excellent style.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skeleton, hellboy, werewolf-character… 5 stars…
    keep em up
    cheers

••• Φ •••

Nettle_Mountain - walnut - SamC - Walid D - Nrx - Dilated - FraserMcT

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Φ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks guys!

Just a really bad update, I have a bunch of sketches that I need to scan but for now, weird goat thing:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bit of trouble with the scanner. ;_;" so until that's rectified, here's a midget knight!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup blighted art man, i didnt know you were on here D:
    <pp'er

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hey Shunted!

Okay so... I had a lot of drawings done at the workshop, but haven't scanned 'em... and ever since the workshop for some reason I haven't been drawing, and have wasted too much time. The guilt of that really smacked me in the face last night, and today I got a massive bulk of inspiration from The Kung Fu Panda opening animation by James Baxter Animation... I *really* want to be an animator once again, and I rushed to the Wacom pretty damn quickly tonight.

I've decided that I'm going to do studies of one animal every week. In that time I want to do a completed painting, a number of gesture sketches and muscle studies (semi-quick ones to get an idea of their movement), and a number of cartoon renditions of each animal. I'll be doing human studies all the while too.

Here's my progress for tonight... What with it being Thursday here the Sea Lion won't get much coverage this week, but on Monday I'll be starting properly on another animal (or might just do sea lions that week too).

And the reference photo first:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I spent the weekend in Queenstown with the girlfriend, so didn't have much time for Sea Lion studies. But since I started those studies late in the week anyway, decided to spend this week examining the animal.

I need to learn more about the actual nature of the creature of course, to understand WHY it's shaped as it is. Not something you can fully justify in one week in my opinion, to condense so many years of evolution into one week of study. But hey.

So here are my studies of the Sea Lion for tonight, just taking reference from a youtube clip or two. The bottom left sea lion was done from imagination, shortly after the other sketches, which were from observation.

Note to self:
    - Human foot studies!
    - Next animal: hoofed animal (curious)

I'll be making Self notes like this from now on ^ Please forgive me if you can't understand some of them haha.

Last edited by BlightedArt; December 8th, 2008 at 06:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Sea Lion painting, from a photo reference. Sunset photo.

WIP! Constructive Crit please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems as if you've blocked in the whole front plane with the lightest light rather than a mid of some sort. The chest is really overpowering at the moment and it really needs to have the halftones put in. Also I think it'd be a good idea to bring the little one up at the same time because it is very hard to read what the picture will look like with such a strong orange shape dominating it.

good idea with the animal studies, keep it up man

GG in l4d just now was fun. pity we got spanked at the end.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to monsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketchbook, BlightedArt! I love the vibrancy of the colours you use, and the difference between the cartoon art and studies makes the sketchbook very fun to wander through.

In particular, I like your pieces Frolic by the Pillars and The Glowing Swamp. I love the finished version of the second of those pieces. It's really pretty. And I love the design of that Skull Buster.

Keep up the good work!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Vickie B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to both of you, I really appreciate it!

Just slapping this one up here. My gf said that the thick black lines might be overused in my drawings, so I'm going to start experimenting with different methods of lines to stop them from being too confusing. Here's the first one:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... looks a little bit as if it's dodged/burned. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lulie!

The lines themselves were chosen as actual colours, I hadn't burned or dodged them, the shading is also just mixes of gray, dark red and navy blue.

Cheers!

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 20