Thanks

Nox iz Mad Part II

Hope you guys enjoy it!

http://store.payloadz.com/go?id=90923

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MassiveDVD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Haha, nox, you're a funny guy! Awesome conclusion to the demo, thanks!

I can't get that stare out of my head now. The one at the end that says either "I'm gonna stab you" or "I'm gonna fuck you silly", i'm not sure which.

Thanks

Thanks
    is there somewhere i can buy the dvds my connection get interupted frequently making big downloads impossible
    not sure how to add my sketchbook as a link but heres wher eits at yo
    Foodogs sketchblog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    yessss! absolutely smashing. really,for being from scratch esp.,this is genius.
    big,big props to everyone involved, especially nox of course.
    i'll make sure to work extra hard on my lmsIII entry now,although it's never gonna match the raw artistic knowledge from this demo.
    5 thumbs up.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    So... when's the next thing coming?

I really got to steal someone's credit card now..

Thanks
    jadefoodog- I had this same problem. I started using an FTP program that lets me resume downloads that are interrupted. I got the Jason Chan one with Core ftp. Hope that helps.
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Severin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dowloading now.

i'll make sure to work extra hard on my lmsIII entry now
    Crap, thought you may have forgotten about that...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I mean no offense when I say the following, I really don't:

the first vid was great, but I don't think I'm getting the second. Props to nox and massive black and everyone who made this happen, but.... I dunno. It's great to see the process but I found that in the first vid there really wasn't a whole lot of insight into what Nox was doing, the principles behind his choices, etc. It was essentially him telling us what we were watching.

I know it really sounds like I'm being an ungrateful asshole, I'm just saying if it benefits the viewers, maybe in the future encourage more talking about the reasons for certain decisions? Not that it wasn't great, he did explain some things and was hilarious the whole way through, and it WAS $10 well spent.

I just sayin' is all

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I've had a lot of trouble downloading the video. I've tried to download it on 3 separate computers. It normally just freezes when it gets to about 20-60%. It finished once but when I clicked to open the file it said that the file didn't exist. Now (after about 15 tries) it gets to only about 5% and says that there's like 15 min left and 3 hours later it's still at 5%. What's wrong? Should I email you my info?

Thanks
    try the Core FTP program with internet explorer. If the download quits out, then just save it again to the same place and it gives you an option to resume download. Heh pretty much a repeat of my previous post, but it saved my ass with these files. Speaking of which, I need to get that new Nox one.
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Severin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Perhaps watch it again and take notes. Ask questions and see if you can answer them yourself. Nox is self taught so if you apply the same mindset of analysis and deconstruction that he uses to learn you will pick up a lot. Ask yourself what he is doing...watch and see what you can pick up from it. There are many answers there. No one served it up on a plate for nox...no one. However, he serves up plenty for you in these vids. If you really want to understand what he is doing you just need to study it...and that is the opportunity his videos give.

Regarding the basic fundamentals stuff that it sounds like you are really looking for, we have some foundations stuff that will describe every step of the way about what it is that it takes to do some of this stuff. The color theory and composition vids are wrapping up, as is the perspective series. Those alone will give you more insight into this process.

Some people learn by watching and analyzing.

Others learn by doing.

And finally, others learn by being told and hand held.

Those who learn the most work to learn in all three areas as much as possible. Certain art downloads we do will have both the demonstration and step by step process. Others are going to be raw demonstrations showing how an artist actually works. Both are valuable to artists learning and understanding.

Personally, I got a ton out of watching the nox vids. The lessons I got about patience, persistence, and the willingness to work and work and work until things get done right really sank in for me after watching him work. I could make a list of the things I learned and if I wanted to watch it again and take notes...really study the video and his process, I would have even more to gain.

Nox is a unique artist and the MB team has learned more from watching him work and being around him than probably anyone else at the company here. But they are the kind of guys that will deconstruct and analyze what he is doing without him saying anything to them at all. Me...I personally am the type of person who grew up having to be told, but once I learned to trust my own mind when analyzing and deconstructing, I got a lot more out of the world that I could use in my work and my career.

Jason

Others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post

the first vid was great, but I don't think I'm getting the second. Props to nox and massive black and everyone who made this happen, but.... I dunno. It's great to see the process but I found that in the first vid there really wasn't a whole lot of insight into what Nox was doing, the principles behind his choices, etc. It was essentially him telling us what we were watching.

I know it really sounds like I'm being an ungrateful asshole, I'm just saying if it benefits the viewers, maybe in the future encourage more talking about the reasons for certain decisions? Not that it wasn't great, he did explain some things and was hilarious the whole way through, and it WAS $10 well spent.

I just sayin' is all

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Severin View Post
    try the Core FTP program with internet explorer. If the download quits out, then just save it again to the same place and it gives you an option to resume download. Heh pretty much a repeat of my previous post, but it saved my ass with these files. Speaking of which, I need to get that new Nox one.
    Great. I'll try it. I was using firefox so maybe this is just what I need.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post

I just sayin' is all
    Hmmm. I have too say. I know the feeling of buying a training dvd and not really now whats going on ( not MB but I did buy Markos and loved it). I have problems with photoshop so I kind of expect that I would be viewing a process and learning how the artist uses the program to make the final peice instead of watching the artist paint. By the sound title of Jason M, it might be different.
    But I need to be sure, I refuse to be fooled again . But I'm still gonna buy the Nox dvd after I recover from the Workshop spending. Soo please don't shun me Jason M.

Thanks
    errrrrrr... Blue Severin, how do you download things off the web with an ftp server???

Thanks
    Much agreement on Jason's talk about learning how to deconstruct and analyze what the artist is doing, without the artist having to walk you through it. I think it's such a vital part of learning, and to me, it's the most important to learn how to do. I am self taught as well, and usually I'll hold a conversation in my own head of everything they are doing, as if I'm teaching myself while watching the person draw. It just works for me, but i s'pose everyone is different.

so on that note, the vids were super helpful to me, and it's almost a benefit that nox doesn't talk that much. It's like forcing us to pay attention and really learn what he's doing, and i think should benefit those who want to get better at learning visually. He gives his lecture through his painting, you just need to learn how to "listen" visually now.
    Last edited by Mitchell; December 14th, 2007 at 04:16 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeiff View Post
    He gives his lecture through his painting, you just need to learn how to "listen" visually now.

Thanks...that was much more eloquently said than my attempt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Micaiah Nelson View Post
    Hmmm. I have too say. I know the feeling of buying a training dvd and not really now whats going on ( not MB but I did buy Markos and loved it). I have problems with photoshop so I kind of expect that I would be viewing a process and learning how the artist uses the program to make the final peice instead of watching the artist paint. By the sound title of Jason M, it might be different.
    But I need to be sure, I refuse to be fooled again . But I'm still gonna buy the Nox dvd after I recover from the Workshop spending. Soo please don't shun me Jason M.

Nox uses only a handful of tools in photoshop. If you want to learn the basics of photoshop that is another course entirely. Nox download is on painting from imagination from no reference and shows how he goes about doing that...trials..tribulations...mistakes..and finally success.

To those who hope to be spoonfed twenty years of painting in two hours, as well as the ins and outs of the software, it just is not going to happen. So, be patient and in time we will cover the basics. I know Yumiko is beginning her Foundations of Photoshop download and she knows that software inside and out...so in that case you will have it all served up on a plate for you this spring.

We are not here to fool anyone...we are doing what we can to keep conceptart.org free and moving forward. The first fruits of this effort are just about to come out of the oven. This site is about to be changed for the better...forever...all because people are supporting the downloads and workshop that everyone is working so hard to make as great as they can be...so that in turn, CA is what we wish it could be.

Anyway...here is a sneak peak of the image from Nox Part 2.

J
    Last edited by Jason Manley; December 14th, 2007 at 04:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for this. I'm going to pick this up along with the Jason Chan and Android vids after the week end.

Thanks
    I think those vids are awesome. I picked them up all four, released so far, and they're all great!

I'm sure no one will think you guys (Jason, etc.) foul anyone. Even though it isn't an in-deptht course about photoshop, painter or whatever. It's a privilege to see those artists and their personal working methods. It shows some good basics and interesting approaches about creating something out of nothing and that's what it's all about.... At least that's what I think.

Last but not least: It's a bargain!
    Thanks for all!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I must say i learned a TON from this, because nox uses a similar approach to mine. I paint, repaint, repaint and poke at stuff until i find something that works. These videos show a much more advanced take on this method, so it shows me how to push my artwork way further. I think people like me, who are self-taught and are used to learning by trial, error and observation will get a lot more out of this video than people who have formal training and are used to being taught. But then again, no matter what your background you'll still have your nipples glowing with inspiration by the end of this. And his stare at the end makes me wanna call an adult.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    almost unrelated question:
    will there be a michael hussar painting dvd at some point?
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    I have not asked Hussar about it. We are still watching to see how well these do to know if we will make more beyond the ones we are working on now. If they are supported we will do more but is still early to tell.

Thanks
    im having a problem downloading this vid, ive downloaded all the previous ones but with this one it says my credit card cannot be used for this purchase, is there an alternate way i could get this, or could it be problem on my end which i dont think it is since its a new card but any help would be appreciated.

TB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    slash stole my thoughts and wrote them as his own!

loved every second of it, can't wait for the new vids...although the release frequency is so high, i barely get to learn a fraction from each session bef there's a new one out!
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    You guys have a good thing going here. ImagineFX recently started adding video to their workshops on DVD and they have been helpful. I will be a customer for a long time because $10 is reasonable in price and most importantly the source, Massive Black, mean the quality of knowledge is at a premium.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Thanks a ton Mr. Manley, I see now that I wasn't really in the right mindset at all for this I'll give it another looksee and really try to observe what nox is doing. The only reason I brought it up was that Jason Chan's was very informative (being told what was going on) and I learned a few things (square v round brush contrast, bounced light and getting your figure to feel inside the painting) and I expected more of the same. I guess I'll have to dig for Nox's gold Or like you said, maybe I just don't know enough yet to really exploit the demo and should probably start with the foundations vids.

At any rate, not a huge gripe by any means, just my opinion, thought I'd bring it up. Still A1 material and happy I got it.

Thanks
    shit man... that finished version of the piece is insane.
    NYSA grand national champion yogurt slinger - 1874-2061

---------------
    My Sketch Book

Portfolio

Fundamentals of Form - Educational Download

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one...
    Thanks
    Seems I have been having the same problem as Jake Kobrin on this one. I bought the video two days ago but can't download it because it keeps freezing at around 60 -70%. I tried using GetRight to resume my downloading, but seems I can't with the free version of that software.

After reading Blue Severin suggestion about using Core FTP to resume the download, I have try it though I am not sure how to get it to work for this download. I believe I am in the same situation as Jake on this one, so if Blue Severin or anyone can help me with this, that will be great
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Andres View Post
    Seems I have been having the same problem as Jake Kobrin on this one. I bought the video two days ago but can't download it because it keeps freezing at around 60 -70%. I tried using GetRight to resume my downloading, but seems I can't with the free version of that software.

After reading Blue Severin suggestion about using Core FTP to resume the download, I have try it though I am not sure how to get it to work for this download. I believe I am in the same situation as Jake on this one, so if Blue Severin or anyone can help me with this, that will be great
    Hey guys, any detailed help on this issue would be appreciated. I get several emails a week from people who have trouble downloading the videos, and it's almost impossible for me to determine whether it's a server issue or an issue with someone's home internet connection. The vast majority of people can download them without any issues, but sometimes the server has given out links that don't work, or perhaps there are peak times when the server gets overloaded. We're working with the administrators to smooth out the process, but in the meantime any help with Core FTP or other programs would be appreciated. There's a FAQ here that could probably use some additions: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=111253.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast