I really admire this artist

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

I dont know if deviantart links work on here, but lion83.deviantart.com is so outstanding!! I want to be able to draw that realistic someday. I especially admire how well he draws the hair, whenever I draw it I just draw a few lines and do some darknening so that it somewhat looks like hair. Something that needs to be worked on alot

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Ohhhh...OW! FD...dude! Don't!

This guy is painstakingly reproducing photographs. Moreover, they are photographs which -- as I'm guessing he doesn't have access to Jessica Alba or Johnny Depp -- belong to somebody else.

He's done a fantastic job of mimicking a $49.95 inkjet printer. Isn't there more a human can aspire to?

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameDragon View Post
    I want to be able to draw that realistic someday.
    then why dont you? just get a black and white photograph and copy exactly what you see. not much creativity involved.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim b View Post
    then why dont you? just get a black and white photograph and copy exactly what you see. not much creativity involved.
    I know it's not the most creative, but it still seems remarkable to be able to recreate a photo that well. When it comes to the artist I admire the most though, you guys probably know already since I've mentioned him enough times

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Even better would be to do exact copy of photo, scan it to computer and print on photo paper of the same size .

Thanks
    Oh, I think that would be dangerous, Farvus. Like holding up two mirrors in front of each other and wiggling your fingers.

I think the exercise would probably suck your soul out right through your eyeballs.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Gotta hand it to the guy though, he's got some excellent graphite control and patience to do these. I'm envious of that!

Only gripe that i have is that he's wasting alot of potential. He's spending more time duplicating rather than leaving his own mark.

Thanks
    I think the artist can still be admired for their skill.. sure, it isn't "art" as we know it, and I do prefer work that shows far more soul than this, but wow this artist demonstrates just what the human can do. And I do think it is something to aspire to. If I could reproduce something as perfectly as that, I would love to know what art I'd make on my own!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Easy.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Why not just get a Charles Bargue book and do the exercises, you can then end up doing the same thing

Thanks
    Ewell beat me to it.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    The animator of this IS the deviantartist to watch.

by Ben McSweeney aka inkthinker, using easytoon & photoshop

Thanks
    You want to be a human Xerox machine? Anyone can copy a photo with enough patience and use of griding. It's not like it's a complete mystery, I knew someone who did a beautiful photo real piece of work, he wasn't an artist normally and had never drawn before but he copied some photos painstakingly in pencil and just kept working at it until it was at the same level as the link you showed. Guess it just goes to prove, if you're willing to spend enough time on something, then anything is possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameDragon View Post
    Then you need to look at lots more art and set your standards a tad higher.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    I think it's worth learning how to do this, if it's what you're attracted to, just to break the mystery. And it's not like the observational and pencil control skills you develop aren't applicable to other things. But trust be, in the hierarchy of drawing problems, this kind of thing is really, really basic.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm amazed how he keeps them so clean... I'm so messy with graphite pencils...

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ``Bea View Post
    If I could reproduce something as perfectly as that, I would love to know what art I'd make on my own!
    It would depend. Many students' best work is their graphite still lives or master copies. When it comes to making things on their own - dealing with composition, dealing with color, working from imagination - suddenly their art looks childish because everything isn't already done for them, ready to transfer over to the blank sheet/canvas. There are many people who can do great paintings of still lives, or figures or landscapes from life but when you ask them to create from imagination or to take a pile of references and construct an original composition, suddenly they revert to making childish looking art. Copying from photos rather than life, and only in black & white, would handicap you even more. If thats all you ever do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I think it's worth learning how to do this, if it's what you're attracted to, just to break the mystery. And it's not like the observational and pencil control skills you develop aren't applicable to other things. But trust be, in the hierarchy of drawing problems, this kind of thing is really, really basic.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, well I can't say much in general very well.

Anyhow, for those of you knocking "copying" - understand that the tools you need for more "creative" pursuits must be trained somehow and "copying" is a damn fine way of doing so.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Idiot Apathy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post

He's done a fantastic job of mimicking a $49.95 inkjet printer. Isn't there more a human can aspire to?
    /thread

Thanks
    yeah that stuff doesnt impress me at all, wow he can render something
    for a bazillion hours

Thanks
    kind of funny how people get the oooh aaah's when someone copy a photo of a cast face and how people get their pitchforks when they see someone copy photos like this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Then you need to look at lots more art and set your standards a tad higher.
    I never said he's my favorite or most inspirational artist, just that I am amazed at his ability to even do faithful reproductions. He really put in alot of effort to get the details down to the dot and make it look very realistic

Thanks
    It is art to someone right? It is amazing work to someone isn't it? Ok, so its not amazing to you. The entire concept of judging someone else's personal taste and what they admire and aspire in any harsh way simply because it is not how "you see it" is kinda immature.

Sure, you don't have to like that sort of art. Hell, you don't even need to consider it art at all. To almost blatantly say "Dude you like that art? Are you a fucking retard?" is kinda wrong...

everyone should leave their ego's at the door when viewing art on an ART forum.

Thanks
    In a word, bullshit.

I never signed on to be non-judgmental, so back up for a buttload of judgment. People who painstakingly copy other people's photos and call it art really piss me off. If you want to copy your own photos, it still isn't anything I recognize as art, but at least it's not theft, as well.

Thanks

Thanks
    ahahaha Stoat I nearly choked on my coffee there.

crash : because drawing from photos suck. You don't learn as much from it as if it was from an object in front of you.

FlameDragon : You will. Listen to what was said before and grab a Bargues book and do the same. If you want to have oohs, aaahs and butt pats, go ahead and copy magasine pictures... And by all means post on DeviantArt!...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    kind of funny how people get the oooh aaah's when someone copy a photo of a cast face and how people get their pitchforks when they see someone copy photos like this.
    Because Bargue drawings are seen as a learning process for the artist doing them?

And drawing photo real Lindsay Lohan is the end goal for the artist doing them?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    A photo is usually edited to become asthetic to an audience, which is the art of photography, it may cause distortions and airbrushing in the light source, making it difficult to learn from. This depends on the photo and I'm not totally saying you can't learn from copying it, you can and I don't knock it but it just depends on what steps you're going to become whatever kind of artist you're looking to be. Your progress is your own, and everyone telling you who and what to admire is not going to change it and may actually mess up any paths you take.

When I mentioned Bargue, you're learning to properly judge distances, light source etc to create form. Cast Drawings are exercises in understanding a 3dimensional shape IN FRONT of you (where photos are a flat form and often manipulated for commercial/aesthetics for their customer base), and understanding how light effects the image. The exercise is usually done in a certain way so you're not getting a ton of different light sources that diffuse or interact with another.

I actually was tested and was told I have poor depth perception, so I had to learn other ways to judge planes and learn how to see as an artist, not just what problems I had visually. I just think that Bargue has more to offer than the artist you mentioned. It's my opinion and again goes back to how you want to progress as an artist.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    But can he draw from his imagination? Also, photorealism is for cameras.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    I admire that he has so much time to do such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.