• good

11 73.33%
  • great

0 0%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face need advice for digital painting

Im still newbie in CG world, and still practicing, and I only using one or two brushes everytime I draw with CG..
    and my basic drawing usually with manga and anime style, I try to get out from the shell, and this is my first attempt ..
    is not that realistic I know,it still look like manga/anime style..

what do you think ?
    what should I do to made this become more realistic, resize her eyes? more shadow on the cheek?

and how about the critics to this pic overall?

the colour are dead? wrong lighting?

I need coments and critics to improve my art TAT pleasee

and thank you so much

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats really pretty first off
    second off...im no expert but i'd say what stands out as needing the most work is her tail. Scales are annoying because they need to have individual shading as well as overall shading on whatever they happen to be on and in your image they appear to only have the second part.
    Your shadows on the girl look a little "blocky", there isnt a smooth transition into the shadows or highlights
    I can see what you were going for with the bluer shadows but they look kind of awkward, try mixing them with skin toned shadows as well because they sort of look like lighting. I know she is blue and the water is blue but i just think they stand out a little too much but that might just be me...More tones will and to the depth and make it less flat looking
    Also the moon is REALLY bright and sort of distracting from the mermaid herself, it distracts from the focal point. Try blending it in to the sky more by going over it lightly with the sky color
    I really like the face actually, it could use a little more tones in the shading as i mentioned before, but i love the way its drawn, as well as the way the whole mermaid is drawn, and the overall look is really pretty, not too manga-ish
    although if you want more realism, try making the hair more realistic also, with strands and such. i think fixing the tail will help with that a lot though.

basically just work on using more tones and values in the shading, fix the rendering on the tail/scales, and just tone down the moons brightness
    btw what program are you working in? just curious lol
    hope that was semi helpful ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, congratulations on your first steps. Working out of the security blanket that manga is for so many artists is such a huge step. Overall, I like this picture a lot. I'd personally focus on a bit more realistic anatomy. Her breasts are too high on her torso, and her hands look like she's broken her fingers in unspeakable ways. The expression she carries is awesome, but is somewhat lessened by the amount of focus the sky draws.

I'd say that the shadows have a lot going for them, but since the moon appears to be the brightest thing in existence (at least as far as her surroundings is concerned) they don't quite agree with the environment. Overall, quite impressed. You have a fine piece of art, but as always, could be a bit better

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice for an early foray out of manga, it actually doesn't make me think much of anime at all. Really love the eyes and hair- face in general looks great actually, although something about the placement of her right eye is off.

I agree with most of the above critique, although I really disagree about the moon being distracting- seems like a nice balance, given that there isn't much else going on around it, and to be honest I barely looked at it, since the mermaid grabbed most of my attention. There are some definite anatomy issues; her head is a little large, and I think you should reference the pose to see how the shoulders would actually be positioned. Her breasts REALLY look like implants- they're kinda sticking up high, grabbing for attention, with seemingly no real weight at all. Try to transition better from skin to scales also.

Otherwise you're off to a really good start, keep it up. And stay the hell away from anime for a while, do more life drawing and get a better idea of the figure and then go back to stylizations!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the blue shading that looks kinda like highlights: it seems to me that the lighting in this picture should really be cool (the moon would probably produce cool light), and therefore the shadows should be warm. You have it kinda reversed. This thread has a bunch of cool stuff on colour theory and skin tones that might be worth taking a look at.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have a good handle on the technical aspects of digital painting. You can put on a very nice surface, now you have to get down to the nitty gritty of actually making a picture. Your composition is cramped and uncomfortable, and the moon is pulling focus away from her face. There are some composition resources discussed here.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ZOMG!!!! >////<
    thank you all for yer appreciation and critiques, its very help full for me..
    and you guys gave me so many important critiques...
    but than I realize therese to many flaws on my picture here.. Im confused, should I repair this images. or throw this pics away and started all over again..??

hm...
    what should i dooo? @_@..

well I will think about it while I learn more about your critiques,Im sorry if my english is bad..

again..
    thank you so much!!

regards.
    Archie

Im a freelance illustrator looking for job, traditional or digital with Manga/style, capable in making art for children book and also comics
    check out my gallery at:
    http://archie-the-redcat.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah for Artfish, what program do I use? Im using photoshop cs 2..
    which one should I use the best? photoshop or painter??

@_@
    they are expensive lol

Im a freelance illustrator looking for job, traditional or digital with Manga/style, capable in making art for children book and also comics
    check out my gallery at:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You will learn more, faster, by moving on than by continuing to fight with this one. At some point in the future you may want to come back to it, and either rework it or redo the idea completely, but give it some time.

Don't rush into doing a finished piece too soon. Do lots of preliminary sketches to really work out your idea and composition. Don't be afraid of using reference. For instance, for the mermaid's tail, look at as many pictures of real fish as you can, you will see the common elements that define "fish tail."

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was just curious, i use photoshop CS2 as well ^^ if it works for your, stick with it. Painter confuses me like no other haha so i don't use it, but you should pick whichever you know best and works best for you

Whether you want to rework it or start over is really up to you, if your sick of fighting with this one and want to just use it as a stepping stone and start over, you can always come back to this one once you've learned more
    im going to take a quick peek at your deviant art too ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtFish View Post
    I was just curious, i use photoshop CS2 as well ^^ if it works for your, stick with it. Painter confuses me like no other haha so i don't use it, but you should pick whichever you know best and works best for you

Whether you want to rework it or start over is really up to you, if your sick of fighting with this one and want to just use it as a stepping stone and start over, you can always come back to this one once you've learned more
    im going to take a quick peek at your deviant art too ^^
    Excellent advice. Personally, I use GIMP and Inkscape for my digital works. They have all the same features, a stronger community (unbelievable as that may be, it's true), and are FREE! Totally free in every sense of the word.

Keep in mind that no matter how great any of your work may be (and honestly, this piece looks awesome), there will always be crits for it. Perfection is relative. I'd definitely suggest a new piece. Personally, I do a 15-minute sketch every day, and focus on trying to get as far as I can before the 15 minutes is up. When you're showing off, make a finished piece of art (exactly like you did here). When you're studying, do studies (anatomy is ALWAYS a solid exercise to go through).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahaha.. my heart tells me I should made another art instead repair the images, cos I know my skill are not capable enough to repair this.. @_@. but if I let this images go, I feel guilty like hell, I mean, this mermaid had a so many flaw, she must be ashamed I put her in public.. >///< I gotta do sumthing quick!, dont wanna let here cry.... ^^;

and is it okay if I use some reference in drawing? Im mean like a photo I found in the internet. and I redraw it became sumthing really different? ( it wont be the same coz Im to lame I know, its gonna be more worst)
    is that a piracy or not? should I write the copyrighted or sumthing?

and about Using program. I start with CS2 when I learn digital painting... but some says, photoshop are only for photo manipulation and stuff, not for painting, if yer a traditional artist, and done digital painting you should go with painter...

and yes painter is great, but very confusiiiing @_@ to many tools. I cant tell wich one for wich ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by drummingpariah View Post
    Excellent advice. Personally, I use GIMP and Inkscape for my digital works. They have all the same features, a stronger community (unbelievable as that may be, it's true), and are FREE! Totally free in every sense of the word..
    what is Gimp? this is the first time I heard about it.. and its free!!!?? o_0
    where I cant find one? ^///^

again thank you so much

regards,
    Archie

check out my gallery at:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie-The-RedCat View Post
    ahaha.. my heart tells me I should made another art instead repair the images, cos I know my skill are not capable enough to repair this.. @_@. but if I let this images go, I feel guilty like hell, I mean, this mermaid had a so many flaw, she must be ashamed I put her in public.. >///< I gotta do sumthing quick!, dont wanna let here cry.... ^^;
    As I said before, keep working on this one if you want, but you'd probably be better off moving on for now and coming back to this later.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie-The-RedCat
    and is it okay if I use some reference in drawing? Im mean like a photo I found in the internet. and I redraw it became sumthing really different? ( it wont be the same coz Im to lame I know, its gonna be more worst)
    It's not only OK, it's recommended. As long as it's not obviously identifiable, you're fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie-The-RedCat
    and about Using program. I start with CS2 when I learn digital painting... but some says, photoshop are only for photo manipulation and stuff, not for painting, if yer a traditional artist, and done digital painting you should go with painter...
    Take a look at the Featured Artists Galleries in the banner at the top of the page. Some of those folks use Photoshop, some use Painter, some use traditional mediums, many use a combination. But you'd be hard pressed to tell which was which just from looking at the work. Photoshop can be a great painting tool.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Many of us use reference images, but the more you can draw from memory/knowledge the better. Focus on anatomy studies until you feel confident that you could draw a human skeleton without seeing a person. Then add muscle groups, and skin. Then add clothes (it will be much easier once your anatomy is strong).

After that, your characters should be able to fit into any environment you can create, and you'll see your art coming to life more and more.

and about Using program. ... what is Gimp? this is the first time I heard about it.. and its free!!!?? o_0
    where I cant find one? ^///^
    You can find the gimp here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    References are always ok, and incredibly useful

I start with CS2 when I learn digital painting... but some says, photoshop are only for photo manipulation and stuff, not for painting, if yer a traditional artist, and done digital painting you should go with painter...
    Nah i use photoshop to paint with, it depends on your preference really, but i know photoshop so well now that i just stick with it
    and traditional media is always a good basis for digital media and visa versa, i do traditional painting too and i still stick with photoshop for my digital stuff

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.