Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    So... I was pretty sick with tonsillitis/strep over the holidays (= no art), laziness (= no art :/), and exams x 4 in bio, chem, history and math !!!!!! (= no art...). So here's something that came out of avoiding studying and somewhat fits the current IDW. I've got some 2 sec bird studies too as per ashess' instructions (hint: they don't look like birds) but I haven't gotten to uploading them.

Attachment 571023

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I made a fairy village in my kitchen yesterday. I made the house thing about two years ago. I photoshopped the first to get rid of plant tags and odd coloured spots where the kitchen showed through.

Attachment 572524

And the setup.

Attachment 572525

Thanks
    More. I hate properly doing plants, so I did a plant. I really need to work on not over doing all my pencils. Oh, and the promised birds. I swear they fly seven times faster than you think they do. Crtits anyone?

Attachment 573365 Attachment 573366

Attachment 573367 Attachment 573368

Thanks
    I took me forever to get the appendages of those freaking dinosaurs right. And they're still not right. Arggg.... I got a couple of books in the mail this week: Sketchbook for the Artist by Sarah Simblet (It's awsome. I love it.) And constructive anatomy by whats his face that everyone knows.

Attachment 578065

Attachment 578066

Attachment 578069

Attachment 578070

Attachment 578076

Thanks

Thanks
    Those foot-studies stink! ----nah, not really. Actually they look fantastic!
    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Good to see you doing studies

And I looove the dragon harness design sheets. Very creative.
    Any thoughts behind that you´d like to share?
    A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    Hive_minD: Thanks.

bbwolf: Ok. Well, here's more of a run through, but hopefully it'll tell you what you wanted to know.

1) I decided that since the point was the harness, there was no reason to get overly fancy with the dragon itself, so I painted myself a fairly bland dragon in a couple minutes. If I did decide to get fancy, I could always just adjust the proportions of the design.

Attachment 587272

2) So then I just duplicated said dragon a couple of times, and lowered the opacity of the layer. Then the fun part was dredging up random ideas. Originally I had an idea in mind, but I ended up ditching it. I think a large part of the process is running out of 'cool' ideas and actually having to think about it. I ended up picking 1b which was a combo of a couple of designs from the previous sheet.

Attachment 587274

3) A rough up of the design, and possible saddles and buckles etc.

Attachment 587277

4) The final.

Attachment 587280

Thanks
    I was realizing while doing the bridgeman stuff, that it really wasn't making any sense to me, mainly because I wasn't getting what the blocks he had were representing, and it was irritating me. So I decided to get some more medical texts and straighten out what goes where etc. These are from "Human Function and Structure" Some of the proportions are ridiculously off, and lopsided, etc but it's all getting sorted out in my head. I also tried flipping the images in my head to get both sides, and it worked with variations of success. More is coming. (oops, the last page is upside down, but you get the idea)

Attachment 589185

Attachment 589190

Attachment 589205

Attachment 589210

Thanks
    An IDW Baba Yaga's house thing I have many, many complaints about. If you actually want to see the complaints, pop over to the wip thread for IDW. And a self portrait and eyes, and noses, and mouths. Wearing glasses sucks because either a) it distorts everything, b) you can't see when you angle your face away enough to get profile-ish, and c) getting hit in the face really, really hurts when it happens. And some hands, I decided to do some very gentle playing with in PS. Faux chalk. I've noticed everything on the right side of anything I do tends to be higher and I'm trying to fix that by just being conscious of it, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

On another note, in art class, were doing history which means that when I have to do little thumbs of old artworks, I get to make Jesus look however as I like. I laugh and laugh and laugh until the people next to me start moving away slowly. Fun. That and I think Mary and the saints were drawn after aliens because their fingers are so boneless and long. Actually, if you look at Egyptian stuff they have the same thing going on. It's a conspiracy!!!!! The mother ship is coming!!!!! Run......... *ahem* .....well.

Attachment 592381 Attachment 592382

Attachment 592383

Thanks
    Soooooo, I'm off to France again on the 22nd so two and a half week no update for a while. Meh. It will be better as my partner this time seems really nice. I did some more foots and hands and bones and stuffs. I seemed to be in a happy place for drawing for like three days, and then yesterday, I tried to draw any thing properly, and I came out like mush. It made me sad. The feet above in pen, I was actually seeing the random bumps that Bridgeman has, and was getting that is was all a matter of accentuation of minuscule bumps and ridges and things, and then its like boom and nothing's working in my head and hand and the connection's gone. Ahhhhhhh..... Ohh, and I just noticed I've actually been updating semi decently. Weird. Anyways, If you can actually make out which body part goes where, and if it actually is a body part you get a prize. Actually, you don't but you get the idea. Sorry for bad photos.

Enviro I gave up on the trees in, baba yaga sketch I really like.
    stuff.....and last is a really imaginative, girl holding a knife.

Attachment 596029

Attachment 596048Attachment 596050
    Attachment 596051Attachment 596053
    Attachment 596056Attachment 596069
    Attachment 596063

Attachment 596066

Thanks

Thanks
    My IDW final. I can't spend any more time on this. I've got to pack!!!!

Herre's the write up.
    This is a set of eating-ware that is made for the first interplanetary travelers from Earth. It is made of stainless steel to be easily sterilized without precious water. This set has an integrated gravitational unit in each of the pieces in order to keep the food from flying off your plate in space and on low g. planets. The units can be switched off to save power, and the cutlery (knives, forks and spoon, or spoon and chopsticks) clip into the holders on either side of the plate in this situation. (The knobs on the ends keep them from slipping out.) The cup can be clipped onto the plate so it can be let go of while eating, has a lid with attached straw that keeps liquids from being knocked out. When the cutlery is clipped in, cup attached and power off, the whole set can be attached to a belt and moved as one piece.

The closeup is a view from the bottom of the plate showing some of the mech, and tech, and a miniature of the same is what is used with the cup. All cutlery have smaller units in the handles.
    And the pic.

Attachment 599449

Thanks
    Wow, great studies! And the dragon harnesses looks like a really good brainstorm.

Thanks for your IDW advices, I'll be sure to try to follow them, your IDW's looks really good.

I do have a soft spot for that little fairy village you made though, hehe. Keep working on those studies!
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Sorkness: Thanks. I really do hope the crits made sense. I loved that village too. My family just shook their heads and tip toed around it. Studies are lots of fun too. I find them really relaxing.

So, I'm back from the trip. Went to the Louvre, and only had two hours, so I got to the Byzantine period, realized I had used and hour already, and rushed through the rest. It was literally painful to walk past and not look. I fell in love with these really cool rolly beads. They were like rolling stamps.... anywhooo.

I didn't do too much drawing, but here's what I did get done that was semi-decent. The bus was pink on the inside, and got Christened the love bug/shagg wagon. Fun times.

Anything shaky was on the bus.

Attachment 618360

Attachment 618361

Attachment 618362

Attachment 618363

Attachment 618365

Attachment 618367

Thanks
    Some school assignments. The paper bag looks weird, but I double checked while I was doing it and the shadow on the top was the same/a little darker than the side in real life. The whole dark next to light = looks darker than it is, thing going on I think. I started another drapery one, but my helpful mother put my towel away. I'm getting more and more attached to pen, and I think it shows in the pencil.

Attachment 621615

Attachment 621619

Thanks
    Very cool ideas and your studies have come a long way after only two pages. Impressive stuff, I'd like to see more of tricks, please!

Oh, I notice with one of your landscape studies in B/W has this eerie before/after feel compared to one of speed paintings I did a while back. Random, yeah.

see link: here
    Drawing is the artist's most direct and spontaneous expression. - Edgar Degas

Thanks
    strings: That is really, really creepy. That, and great minds think alike. hehe It might only be two pages, but they're spread over a year and three months. It's only recently that I've been updating regularly. Tricks.... you insult me!!!! I do no tricks like a common pheasant! *harrumph* ... wait, I mean peasant.

Actually, thinking of that reminds me that I've done no colour studies in almost a year. ...must do colour study, must to colour study...

So here's some more IDW. Alien tripod. It's getting busy, but this is mainly for fun. It may have a screaming face and a sprinkler at some point. Crits?

Attachment 625603
    Last edited by Pixie Trick; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks
    You've got some funky designs here, and perspective too, like it! It's fun to look at, and its nice to kick back from the busy.ness

I have some suggestion for lighting, although this is supposed to be colour study. I've made a few quick tweaks as suggestions. Increased the Levels & Brightness Contrast* on some areas to push the lighting. What you could do is switch between black and white / colour when you paint digital, may help significantly. Keep it up.
    Last edited by strings; March 24th, 2009 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 897 Posts
    hey pixie! like that time machine final. though the ground plane with the foot-markings kindof looses its direction in the final piece. same problem with the mountains. you need to show a little clearer what directions plains are going. still, great improvement, and lovely fresh ideas.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    you are definitely improving!

Thanks
    strings: Ummm, I ment the image was getting busy from all the things I kept on adding to it, but it's true that it was fun to just have fun with it. (...and how is this a colour study? I think it's the most balant usage of every candy related colour on Earth, sadly enough. ) Thank you for the compliment. Also, thanks a ton for spending the time to try figure out what I'm doing wrong. I kept the highest contrast in tone in one object to the tripod to help keep it as the focus, and it was a bit on purpose keeping the rest rather toned down. A lot of this was figuring out why I had done something in the original sketch, and how this worked compositionally. I think where you placed the house's shadow may be a tad off. I will admit that I placed my shadows by eye, but for all the light came from behind the viewer, and not from behind the house.

ashess: Thanks. I do have issues with planes, but I have no idea what sort of things I can do to remedy this situation. I get the idea, but I have no idea how to translate that to an image.

MrSmith: That's something that's always nice to hear.

Actually, on that note, I looked through some of my old sbs, and took some pics. These are from 2006, when I was thirteen. I find it neat that I can look at something I drew three years ago and remember the moment exactly. Better than a photo. I do find it sad to see how little I've progressed. I love the tree one more now than when I made it. Look at the detail! It feels like another person did draw it.

Attachment 631116

Attachment 631118

Attachment 631119

And the final of the IDW.

Attachment 631120

I've signed myself up for the CHOW The final Dr. Who (how could I not with my avatar?) so that's the next week's project. The last CHOW I did was a year ago (and believe me it was hideous) so I'm a bit apprehensive. Thank god it's a two week time limit and not one. Eeeek!

Thanks
    So I have nothing in colour, and nothing to show for the CHOW yet, but I have most of the junk from class for last week. I did a portrait of my Dad that actually shows a resemblance which is nice. So anatomy stuff. Actually the page of only feet is from memory except for the bad looking one which was from life. Weird. Anywhooo, massive dump of sketchies. The page with the grid is horrible I know. We got the muscles for each appendage separately, and I had to piece it together in my head, so It got kind of out of whack, so I stuck a bucket on him. Currently we are drawing our teacher so that'll be showing up soon. Another current project is a mosaic, done in little, tiny pieces of paper. It's horrible to do and to see.

Attachment 633328Attachment 633330

Attachment 633332Attachment 633334

Attachment 633340Attachment 633343

Attachment 633348Attachment 633349

Attachment 633352Attachment 633355

Attachment 633357Attachment 633358

Attachment 633363
    Last edited by Pixie Trick; March 30th, 2009 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks
    wow!!!! you've got an awesome mix of creative sketches and studies from life and anatomy here!

You're surprisingly dedicated for someone so young! That's a rare talent, so keep it up! If you can get your hands on "Scott Robertson's Rendering Matte Surfaces".. i think it could help you get more realistic lighting into your creative sketches!

Keep it up Pixie Trick!

Thanks
    Great studies, WHOA! you can actually draw your entire drawing arm.

Thanks
    knoxie: Thanks. And thank you for the suggestion. I'll have to see if I can get a copy. A bit out of my personal price range, but what else are birthdays and chistmas for?

Actually, that reminds me, I had a teacher who used to be a uni prof in China when I was between eight and ten, and for two years we did 30min-2hour still lifes of white cubes and spheres, and finally fake fruit and cups and stuff. After that we finally got to use oil pastels to do the same. It was the most boring thing on earth after a while, especially when you're eight, but I think she tried to teach me the most out of any art teacher I had since. She also had us (my brother and I, he was only seven-ish) adjust all the pictures in her house to be perfectly level, and to find the exact centre of a sheet of paper without measuring. She also used to tell us how she used to be in a class of fifty girls, and one eraser. I miss her.

strings: This is for you. There's probably one or two of these spread out somewhere in this sb. This is fun, but you arm gets numb after five minutes or so. Elbows look so cool from this angle! I love how the perspective gets all funny when your shoulder is only a couple of inches away. I think it would be fun to do a drawing all the way up to your nose (or however hgh you can see) of your own body. The only problem is that you kep on shifting without noticing and things start to look really weird really fast.

Attachment 635923

Thanks
    Heya Pixie Trick

Very nice studies again. Imho you´re best when you do studies. Also shows that you´ll be quiet good if you´ll keep practising. Glad you had a good teacher, albeit a boring one from time to time, who showed you the importance on studies and introduced you to stuff like the drawing of white cubes and stuff. Sometimes I wish I had the opportunity to go to art school. Any art school. *meh* I did okay by myself long enough and then there was internet and conceptart.

Keep it up. cya ´round.

Wolf

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    That's mind bending, I've gotta try that drawing exercise.

Thanks
    bbworlf: I know that my studies and real life are the best. Basicly they're just copying. I don't go to art school. Any art education I have is from that one woman (once a week in her basement), various week long, once a summer, kid's art courses at the local community college (pottery mainly, only one year drawing), various jewellery courses (actually, I started silversmithing last summer, but I never have time for it now), one pysanky course, and highschool art class.

Strings: Try it. It's fun! It's not all that different than just looking down at your foot and drawing it, but just at a much weirder angle. Have you ever gone on your stomach and looked at how your kitchen table + chairs looks from underneath or down low? (okay, stupid question) It's the same thing as the top, just a bit less ordinary.

Here's a portion of what's been keeping me busy for the last week. This hideous thing took about twenty hours all told. It's about 10 inches by 8 inches. It took foreeeeever to do and I'm not overly fond of it. I got lazier for the last two hours or so. The first photo is colour adjusted, but the second is on. After that is a portrait from a photo of my grandmother and I. I think I looked adopted when I was young. I know her eyes are too far apart but it was ten at night alright! More to come, but I haven't photographed much of it.

Actually, I got the suggestion to set up as a portrait drawer downtown at the farmer's market in the summer and do some drawing there. I may just do that.

Attachment 640368

Attachment 640373

Attachment 640379
    Last edited by Pixie Trick; April 7th, 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks
    Alright, alright. It was ten at night. And then.... there´s Photoshop to cheat an aceptable out of an "too tired sketch". Hmm?

The Mosaic/Collage is nice. 20hrs? School merit project or what?

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast