Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Nice paintings, though I think you can define the foliage more. Theres a tendancy to loosely brush in the foliage without much structure to it. Try think of it in 3d space like u do with the buildings.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Blacky: Thank you so much for the support. It mean so, so, so, so much. Truly.

Bendragon: Thanks for the tip!

My arm was pretty upset last week. The tendonitis spead to my elbow, so now I have tennis elbow. Then I got some in my left arm from using it more. Finally I got some golfer's elbow (I didn't even know it existed!) in my right arm as well as pulling my triceps. It's all much better now, but that week was painful.

The interviews went well. At OCAD, they let you into the interview room about 20 minutes before the actual interview so you could set up and get and idea of what the profs were asking other people. The profs looked at the stuff for about two minutes, completely ignoring all digital work I had on my laptop. They then spent the last eight minutes lecturing me on how I was perfect for the materials arts program, and how I had to be sure I was doing what I loved as well as another lecture on what the two other 3d-real life design courses were and how I wouldn't like any of them. They finally told me that if you really want something hard enough you can do it. I was completely prepared to start answering questions etc. but they hardly let me say a single thing the entire time. Really, really anticlimatic. Whatever... they liked the work I had out and I got told by the student helping I was accepted, but wait for the letter.

Here's a pic of the waiting room on one side.
    Attachment 923748

The other one was with about 50 other people at the same time, and the test was really lame. They gave you two articles, had you summarize them, then add two or more pictures. You could either copy the pics off of a set of samples they gave, or make your own.

One of the things I was told at National Portfolio day was that a nice, well done pencil drawing would be a good addition to a portfolio. I made on up for the interviews. Eight hours or so, and a pic of the setup for those interested. The pics has a bit more contrast than the original. I've been doing so much digitally that I've been spoiled by the array of easily achieved values. Pencil just doesn't do BLACK, which upsets all the relative values. Add to that the amount of values that you can pick out with your eye that won't show up in a photos etc....... Learned a lot to say the least. Practice....

Attachment 923750

Attachment 923751

Thanks
    Hey Pixie you've posted some nice updates here. Especially like the enviro/colour study in post#217. Keep up the good work dude.

Thanks
    You're doing great! ^_^ MOAR cool studies! +)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,528 Posts
    Nice to know that your interview went well. So which one is you on that photo then?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,086 Posts
    WHAT DID I TELL YA!?! EAAAASY
    I'm sure you'll be getting that letter soon!
    I take it they were more interested in your traditional work, preferring it over digital?
    Guess i should do more finished, neat pencil work, huh.

It is interesting reading about your interview
    Makes me understand how things work about that, now that i'm starting to have a shred of a chance at least.

Sketch book is looking great, life-interview too, you also seem healthy, what more can you want?!
    Keep it up Pix!
    Sketchbook - I really appreciate comments and critique, please visit!

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    goood this page is a real step up ! ugh i dont think il recover from NPD just so many people i got to see 2 schools >.< i still have nightmares im pretty sure LOL! did you ever take a look at NSCAD ? (they have a really strong program) i was kind of disapointed with OCAD's Student work ...design program looked good but others seemed left out
    My Sketchbook

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...156231&page=11

"Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master

Thanks
    Thanks for your comment in my sketchbook

The hand sketches show a lot of form, but I doubt your hand really looks like that the technique is good, now your just have to .. feel the form I guess ^^

That National Portfolio day looked like a fun thing to do For what did they review? Art in general or for games.. etc. ?

Hope to see another update soon

Thanks
    Turbosnail: Thanks!

Kristoff: Thank you!

LTPlissken: I'm not in the photo- I was the one taking it!

Blacky: hehe... I'm not sure about the easy bit. I was soooooo nervous. The student was very nice, and probably had something to do with the good response though. He liked my work and said that he 'set me up with the right profs'. I'm glad someone is getting something out of all this. I'm not sure how art universities work in Romania, but I'm sure they can't be tooooooo diferent.

Zorcron: Thanks! Yea- NPD was an experience. I've never really looked at NSCAD. I checked out their site, but not much more than that. It's a long way from home. The thing about ACAD is that I have two families of relatives living a 5 min drive from the school, so I'm not quite so on my own. OCAD is only a 4h drive away, so those are the two schools I'm looking at. I hear what you mean about the student work at OCAD. I went to their open house, and what I saw was pretty mediocre, other than the design. I like the style and quality of work coming out of ACAD better too. OCAD seems more editorial centred, while ACAD is a bit more diverse. They even have a character design stream there! To tell you the truth, the people there were a bit friendlier too. Maybe it's just because it's a smaller school. Actually, I visited the campus of Emily Carr, and the placement of the school just turned me off. Granville island! Yes it's on the water, but in Vancouver the rent would be horrendous, and there's so many tourists around there.

N00dles: You're welcome! I know.... the hand! I can't believe I didn't notice the size discrepancy while I was drawing! National Portfolio Day happened in November. I have a bit more about it on the previous page. Basically it's a whole bunch of art schools, and you can go get your portfolio critiqued by the profs of different schools from U.S. and Canada. They're not allowed to give acceptances there, however. Here's a video of how hectic it is!: LINK

A big dump. Not happy with most of it.

On the other hand, did you know that whales have baby teeth! And dogs and cats and cows and dolphins and hamsters and any type of mammal! So coooooool!

Attachment 931967

Attachment 931969

Attachment 931972

Attachment 931973

Attachment 931974

Attachment 931977

Attachment 931978

Attachment 931980

Thanks
    Here's some more work on the peace piece (hehehe..... ). It's 24 x 16 inches I think. There's going to be a ton of glazing going on, so it looks a bit weird. This is basically under painting right now. And a bit for teen challenge.

Attachment 933634

Attachment 933636

Attachment 933640

Thanks
    Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,528 Posts
    Peace piece.....
    I like that one....

Thanks
    LTPlissken: Puns......

I did a ton more on the peace thing, but I'm too tired to try and take a good photo. In my attempt to make a warmer blue for the bottom, it kinda morphed into this purple/indigo shade. So here's some smaller things I did out of boredom as I waited for paint to dry. It seems all acrylic looks a million times better in real life. The bird one is actually kind of pretty. More work on the cave too. It's turning out better than I thought it would.

Oooo... and made some new brushes too! Fun!

Attachment 933907

Attachment 933909

Attachment 933913

Thanks
    Those marker sketches from post #234 are cool! I like your teen challenge entry too, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out!

Thanks
    Hi Pixie,
    Your work is great, great cave and I really like all the studies.

Thanks
    Wow, love yours environmental drawings =3 I think you could work more on gesture and balance of those human figures, I bet you know that ^_^

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast