Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Thanks
    Here's an editorial illustration assignment about stopping sideline rage in parents. It needs some last tweaks (ewwwwey string for one), but I'm not sure how much I like it to take the effort. I'm also not satisfied with how well the topic comes across, so I may brainstorm some other options.

Name:  sidelineangersmall_stolton.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  334.2 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Maaaaaaaaaaaan I haven't been here in ages !
    I really like your new sketch, I had to look up
    what that means! Well sideline rage in parents
    I would think of the 3 most descriptive words
    for that; Control, Rage, not fun !

It's my specialty to draw topics like that, I just
    drew forgiveness, it's in my sketchbook !

Maybe draw him on strings, being pulled by
    a bigger person but the pupped has no FUN,
    the puppet player looks angry,.......what do you
    think about that !?!?

Pls swing by my sb,.......good stuff here !

Thanks
    Currently in Italy- have been for a while. In the meantime, here's some more drawings from the ROM.

Name:  duckssmall_stolton.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  330.5 KB

Name:  ostrichsmall_stolton.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  292.4 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Happy to see you still posting in here. Even it is as rare as myself lol xD
    Great improvement with figure drawing and with characters.

See you around!
    Sketchbook - I really appreciate comments and critique, please visit!

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    So much drawing from life here, It's great to see! For sketching from life go check out James Gurney's blogspot. I've found the posts to be pretty insightful.

Thanks
    Christina: Great to "see" you again too. Life has been crazy.

shoebill: I love that blog! It really is a fantastic resource. I've been struggling through learning water colour for plein air and it's been invaluable seeing his process.

Here's a medusa- it's done as a bit of test to see how far I've gotten since one of my previous "supernatural" portraits from years ago. And a pointless comic spread. The first page is done with a dying brush pen, and the second page + greys are all digital. And some life drawing to round it all out. I'm fairly happy with the last drawing, as it's the first fully successful time I've tweaked angles and proportions to get something a bit more dynamic. I think next time I go to life drawing I should draw smaller and focus on the overall shape/value as opposed to accuracy to mix things up. Or take a brush and ink. I'd also love to get a not fat old model. I mean, if you only had young thin, fit models you'd want the opposite, but at least if they're thin you can tell what's going on anatomy wise a bit better.

Name:  medusa_stolton.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  201.0 KB

Name:  comic_srtoltom.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  418.5 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  258.6 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  252.0 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  196.6 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  222.8 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  235.9 KB
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  260.0 KB

Thanks
    Here are some watercolour doodles done while avoiding schoolwork. These first two feel like a bit of a breakthrough in me making (yeah, not really) watercolour do what I want it to, and watercolour making me understand how it wants to work. And some more lifedrawing. The female model session I forgot my eraser and missed a week before so there's some ham handedness on my part. The male model I tried toning and erasing out for the longer poses and I think it worked pretty well. I gave him a bit of an excessive booty in the stool/back pose, so remind myself to double check proportions next time.

Name:  greendragonhead_stolton.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  279.4 KB
    Name:  creepybirdhead_stolton.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  201.4 KB
    Name:  combo.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  391.9 KB
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  168.9 KB
    Name:  9.jpg
Size:  197.6 KB
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  221.6 KB
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  172.8 KB
    Name:  14.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  165.8 KB
    Name:  15.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  136.4 KB
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  257.0 KB
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  208.1 KB
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  211.1 KB

Thanks
    I'm glad you found the blog useful Your life drawings a beautiful. There's some really nice handling of the charcoal. At least I think it's charcoal?

Thanks
    shoebill: Thanks- it's conte.

A set of bedtime buildings and more heads! Because those are so out of my comfort zone... At least they aren't in purple tones. I'm curious as to what gender you guys think the b+w one is. Guy or girl?

Name:  IMG_2002.jpg
Size:  160.9 KBName:  IMG_2003.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  155.8 KB

Name:  redhead_stolton.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  106.2 KBName:  manreadingwithcandles_stolton.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  110.6 KB

Thanks
    Deadlines are hitting, therefore more procrastination! The dude is an test using a bit of a different process. The girl is what I wish I could do- ie. zone out and watch some TV. Arms from life. The chipmunk and squirrel sketches were fun, but those critters do not sit still at all.

Name:  guy with glasses stolton.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  143.6 KB
    Name:  nightime TV sketch stolton.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  104.7 KB
    Name:  armsketches_stolton.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  145.2 KB
    Name:  chipmunksketches_stolton.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  292.4 KB

Thanks
    Some of the life drawing from this week. They shut down for a month's break so the first quick stuff was pretty bad. The model however was great- super fit guy who did some neat bodyweight and balance quick poses. Next is a set of thumbs of a little illustrated book I'm working on, and then an older sketch while commuting on the bus.

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  235.1 KB
    Name:  17.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  250.3 KB
    Name:  16.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  482.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_2162.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  336.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2168.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  285.2 KB

Thanks
    Super impressive work! You're definitely gonna go far!
    Very beautiful figures, by the way.
    Sketchbook feel free to diss me lmao
    (P.S. in case I forgot, have a nice day!)

Thanks
    Thanks Chelsea!

Here are some quickie pics of the illustrations I'm working on. The book has in total 1 cover, 1 double spread, 12 single interior images and a bunch of text and numbers which need to be done in the next week or so. I'm done all but 5 of the interior images, and those are all about 50% done being painted. Maybe a solid half day of work left, then another day of photographing, photoshopping, layout etc. I'm using water colour pencil which has been working very well I think. I've tried using them before for studies and sketching but I've never really liked them as much as straight watercolour (more dynamic, immediate), but because I have so many images going at once and because they layer so seamlessly I'm able to work on several at once which lets things dry nicely. Also because it's all inked, edges are taken care of already to an extent which helps.

Name:  12daysspreadteaser_stolton.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  253.0 KB Name:  12daysspreadteaserbw_stolton.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  259.9 KB

Name:  12daysTAteaser_stolton.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  239.8 KB

Name:  12dayspizzateaser_stolton.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  241.9 KB

Thanks
    The commutor drawing is cool. It almost looks a bit like a blind contour drawing but the proportions and placements feel pleasing.

Thanks
    Is this book for school? It seems pretty nice so far. I like the life drawings too, I wish I could do that again too

Thanks
    your life/line drawings are superb, I think once you nail down the digital stuff you'll have some really great work

Thanks
    shoebill: Thanks. When you're drawing on a bus like that where people are constantly moving, you have to (...well, I do anyway) draw semi blindly and get things down as quickly as possible. I also tend not to connect or overlap the ends of my lines (not generally considered a good thing) which also adds to this.

Sushy: I'm making for my classmates about school, but it's not directly for school. I hope you can get life drawing again! I love how it's a semi social event as I don't get a lot of those I actually enjoy.

Daniel: Thank you! I hope so.

So I finished my final, ever studio! YAY! Only 10 more days until I'm done my degree, thank goodness. So I haven't done anything but studio work for about 2 weeks now, so here's some of the renders and sections. I ended up with 7 24x36 panels and the final crit went pretty well- overall things are good, great presentation/drawings, good realism/understanding of structure and materiality but lots of design tweaks. Vertical scale is off, connection to campers is tenuous/not that nice etc. The brief was a spa/hostel type place in middle of nowhere Iceland with high energy and sustainability measurements. The pink is due to high efficiency LED grow lights. And the ironic thing is, even after 70+ students and 8 faculty working on this, a general plumbing system had yet to be figured out, unless you went for composting toilets, bio remediation of grey water and either a well, or collecting from the seasonal stream for potable water.

Name:  drekiwaystation_stolton.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  305.6 KB

Name:  drekiwaystation2_stolton.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  336.1 KB

Name:  drekiwaystation3_stolton.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  333.0 KB

Name:  drekiwaystation_sections_stolton.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  160.2 KB

Thanks
    So school is done and I'm slowly regaining my ability to sleep properly and think of things other than deadlines. Went to go see the Animals inside Out exhibit in Ottawa- quite good and worth seeing.

Name:  IMG_2420.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  473.6 KB

Also did some drawing around home. I feel like I know horse anatomy better than human in some ways, and I'd like to draw them in active poses, however they spend about 90% of their waking life eating it seems, so that's proving difficult to do. Self portrait 1 had eyes that are much too big.

Anyway, I want to use colour soon.

Name:  horsesketch.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  spbed.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  266.4 KBName:  elk.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  315.1 KB
    Name:  giraffe.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  201.9 KBName:  elkrunning.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  278.6 KB
    Name:  penelkbutt.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  227.6 KBName:  sp.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  337.7 KB
    Name:  arms.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  204.7 KB Name:  ostrick.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  354.2 KB
    Last edited by Pixie Trick; August 27th, 2015 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Museums look so much fun to study and draw from! Just wondering, how often do you attend a life drawing class?

Thanks
    Wow that animal exhibit looks really cool, and that it would be super helpful to study from. love some of these animal drawings, like that ostrich, really great. Of course I can't leave without saying that your life drawing is wonderful as well.

In your earlier posts your pictures are only coming up as links is that supposed to be happening or is it bugging out? I hope this question hasn't been answered already.

Thanks
    shoebill: Museums are great. Even the littlest, shittiest ones are awesome, and the people who work in them tend to be super interesting too. The life drawing question is a bit hard to answer... you see I haven't lived in one spot for longer than 4 months or so for the last few years, so a lot depends on everything else that's happening, if the place I'm living in even has it, and if I have $ to spare that week. These most recent ones were once a week, however I'm currently living in a rather dinky town so no luck for now. Damn you rural Canada. *shakes fist at the heavens*

AJams: Thanks. Yeah... years, and years of work are missing from the site, not just my sb. I've talked to Black Spot, and the art all exists somewhere, but the file paths aren't correct. They're working on it.

Just realized I never posted the final book pics. Here's a rough collection of all the pages. There are definitely some I'd like to redo, and I could have planned the overall colour scheme a bit more, but overall I'm quite happy with it, especially given how little time I had. I had it printed up and it looks niiiicccee. Something about making a physical object is so pleasing to me.

Name:  AllPages_12daystilldeadline_stolton.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  253.6 KB

Name:  printedbooks3_12daystildeadling_stoltonsm.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  168.5 KB

Thanks
    You're totally right, I was looking at some other sketchbooks and they all have broken links on the older pages. Must have happened in that last update? Oh and can totally relate to the feel of getting things printed, theres something about it that just enhances everything. For the book, I don't know why but more ordinary every day sort of things appeal to me so I like some of the panels of the more mundane stuff. Like, I think the panels with the coffee and the pizza are working really well for me. I do think in the image of the girl doing her hair due to the nature of her other arm being off screen it does look a bit like a stranger is holding the comb. Could just be me though.

Thanks
    Yeah, most people really like the pizza page. Maybe it's just the universal power of the pie? The hair one was tricky. I had a friend pose for ref, and I was hoping the duplication of everything in the mirror would tie things together... eh. I also think it works a bit better when there's the seam of the book cuts of the hand, rather than it just floating off into white space.

So here's the digital things from the last few days. Still need to take some pics of the sketches. Girl is random, but was fun/fast to do, and her feet are out of sync with where her upper body should place them (they should be further back in the image). I think I'm going to work the dragon up to a finished piece, so crits are very welcome for it. I like where the colours are going, but it isn't reading well as a thumb yet. The head needs to look brighter I think, but when I up the light values even more it just looks super stark and flat. Maybe lighten the whole head neck area equally? The head needs some more organic desining too, but I can't decide on what would look best. I painted in some spots and pattern-ish stuff and it looked good, deleted it (why!?!?!), and now anything I paint in looks terrible and fake. Erugh.

Name:  gothgirl_stoltom.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  dragon2.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  268.7 KB

Thanks
    And a dump of old fashioned paper based work.

Name:  sepiadragon_stolton.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  289.0 KB
    Name:  sepiacritterheads_stolton.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  215.8 KB
    Name:  stickgesture_stolton.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  228.5 KBName:  dwarfsketch_stolton.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  257.7 KB
    Name:  figures sketch.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  169.6 KB
    Name:  aviatrixsketch_stolton.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  384.8 KB

Thanks
    Hi Pixie, I can't believe how fast time has gone! I hope you had some great times travelling. Your art is very impressive, your life drawing and traditional work stands out. You create such a feeling of form and volume, and the light / dark is beautifully handled. I think you may benefit from experimenting with funky / textured brushes with your digital work to try and recreate some of the life you have in the watercolours and pencils. Have a look at this link, John Watkiss did a step by step for creative bloq that you may find useful. ps, thank you very much for the positive comments in my sketchbook.

http://www.creativebloq.com/digital-...awing-51514921
    Sketchbook
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Dayle. A large part I imagine, is that I spend a great deal more time working analog. Textured brushes kind of scare me, haha. I've never been able to make then work well for me, so if you know of a good tutorial somewhere I'd love a link. The step by step is a great breakdown! Well, the stomach area anatomy is rather creepy, but the actual process is good.

The landscape is from April and done with influenced by the work of Le Sidaner, one of my absolute favourite artists, and the apple was just yesterday. The shadow is sad, but I learned that the red and blue I picked (can't remember off the top of my head) make terrible purples and browns. It's painted on gessoed mylar (a thin smoothly textured plastic sheet made for drafting)- I am trying to figure out how to make a lightweight and versatile ground for plein air painting. It can be rolled up, or pinned to foam core, or taped to a board.

Name:  morningmargahetta_stolton.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  333.4 KB

Name:  applestudy_stolton.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  298.7 KB

Name:  gessoedmylar_stolton.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  188.1 KB

Thanks
    Hey dude, had a look through your posts, and i think you should have a close look at drawing/painting the eyes. they are the most important feature of the face (obviously!) and if they dont look symmetrical on the face, despite being in perspective, they can really take away from your art. Have a go at repetitively doing barge studies, and pairs of eyes till you get it right.

Another thing - when doing digital, try not to start on a white canvas, you should put in at least a desaturated midtone with some large brush tex brushstrokes to give some interest. Give it a go!

Good luck! keep it coming!

Thanks
    Ahh, I thought something looked a little strange about the woman and her feet but you already spotted it. I ended up having a go at some repainting (hope you don't mind)

Name:  paint.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  67.8 KB

I was curious to see if simply stretching the wall out would make any difference. Feels like I'm being pedantic sorry lol

Thanks
    HEY PIXY TRIXI,...........YOU are still KICKING I love your new
    studies, specially #474 hope to see you around again,.........keep them
    coming I am glad you are still here. You interior designs are badass,.....

And you lose sketches with pencil and watercolor hope to see more of that.
    HAVE FUN,........swing by,.........

Thanks
    Merry Christmas from down under!

Name:  pinacolodasantasm_stolton.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  283.2 KB

And some of the sketches.

Name:  beachsantasketches.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  178.6 KB

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast