How do you define "Comic bookish" style work?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How do you define "Comic bookish" style work?

I'm curious as to how everyone defines comic book style. I just finished the last CHOW (the herald) and it says in the description must be more realistic non comic booky.... what the heck is that supposed to mean?

A comic book can be defined simply as a sequential narrative. And honestly it must be defined in such open ended terms as the styles used in the medium are as varied as there are artists working in the field. From mainstream super-hero stuff too fully painted and rendered to digital 3D and everything in between. The amount of styles is staggering.

And anyone who has taken art history, looks back at... well most art history will find that many, many works have taken such a narrative style. From the cavemen to Di Vinci. From photo realism to completly abstract. How do you define or exclude something so varied???

Is it working with ink? is a certain type of pencil? is it using Dr. Martin's watercolor to color like they used to.... What the hell is comic bookish supposed to mean??????

I can go through a lot of the work on this site and pick out things in others pieces that calls attention to an influence by comics.

Well it's now open to discussion and I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this. I think it's a tragedy that even today we try to exclude a completly valid
    method of artwork by defining it with a definition that doesn't fit in any way shape or form.

Comic art is a valid artform and it will always bother me that people try to shoehorn it into a box it doesn't fit into.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's more the stylization that the'yre talking about. While yes, it doesn't apply to ALL comics, most comics out there (especially mainstream ones) tend to exaggerate certain things. For example anatomy. From what I've observed, now that everyone wants to be a realistic digital painter, stylized work is slowly starting to be looked at as somehow less sophisticated and it's getting less respect. I think that a lot of the entertainment industry is losing its sense of fun in this mad scramble to make comics/video games darker and grittier (therefore more "respectable"), and everyone has to be outfitted in extremely believable clothing and armor and everything's gotta be borderline realistic. Exaggeration for fun's sake is now a no-no! I don't get why.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.