I could really use a crit on this!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I could really use a crit on this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I could really use a crit on this!

I thought this was good, but apparently it isn't as good as I thought it was so I would really like some pro crits if anybody has the time. I would really really appreciate it because I want to get stronger.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In regards to the composition, I'd like to see you find a way to extend the darker values up to the top of the right hand side, creating a nice l-shape that would help move the eye around. I don't like the thin black bar on the left side...I know it's a wall but for some reason, it sits behind the background in my eyes.

The figures: Lots of detail and it's clear that you spent alot of time on it! I think it needs more time to resolve some of those details in the armor. Also, their placement on the ground...the closest orc seems too far away from the sword. The human doesn't feel solid...like it's a pose stuck on top of the background.

Vase, nice touch! The roses aren't working for me though...why are they flying everywhere? That kind of arc, the fact that it's a sword on the end of its swing...they should be falling down, not up.

In short, place the figures solidly in the room, and resolve the armor details. Great work, much better rendering than I can do with values.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Mack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate, cool armor there. I can't crit on anatomy and stuff, but I'd say your values could use some fixing, you go from black to white practically everywhere in the painting. Check the b/w sketches out here,
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=111068 . See how he fades from high contrast in the foreground to lower contrast in the background, that would help a lot I think.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gl0gg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool design, I'm loving the armour he's wearing. I second everything said so far, also something bothering me is the leg the main figure appears to be putting all his weight on doesn't have any shadow, so it looks like it's sort of floating space...

There were two ships. One had red paint, one had blue paint. They collided. At last report, the survivors were marooned. BA-DUM BSSH!

Art Blog
    Website
    Deviantart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexandraBirchmore For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ohhhh...wait a minute. Did this not make it into the final burning of CHOW? I'd be willing to bet that's more about following the brief. A herald is more "announcer" than "champion." Several of the images were slightly fuzzy on the concept, but this one is a flat-out "defender."

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you everybody, for your great crits. the observations are astute, and I truly appreciate it! again, thank you for taking the time to help me out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lynus, I think what this probably needs is more shadows adding and definate light sources especially in the background and by where the woman is sitting to link the picture as a whole.

I like the expression on your main character by the way !

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.