Chow 99 - The End Of An Era :: The Herald Of The Queen (final burning) PART II

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: THE HERALD OF THE QUEEN || MULTIPLE VOTES || PART II

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chow 99 - The End Of An Era :: The Herald Of The Queen (final burning) PART II

14 9.09%
  • Chow 99 - The End Of An Era :: The Herald Of The Queen (final burning) PART II

4 2.60%

6 3.90%

1 0.65%

1 0.65%

1 0.65%

1 0.65%

57 37.01%

0 0%

0 0%

20 12.99%

5 3.25%

0 0%

2 1.30%

2 1.30%

0 0%

54 35.06%

7 4.55%

0 0%

2 1.30%

0 0%

4 2.60%

14 9.09%

6 3.90%

1 0.65%

2 1.30%

0 0%

11 7.14%

0 0%

92 59.74%

84 54.55%

17 11.04%

43 27.92%

20 12.99%

0 0%

8 5.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chow 99 - The End Of An Era :: The Herald Of The Queen (final burning) PART II

Last edited by S.C. Watson; January 16th, 2008 at 01:34 AM.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    be Sure To Vote In Both Threads!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Because there were so many entries, I voted for five instead of three, though there were a few others I way considering, but.

JessiBean
    Stephan_R
    Mr.Delicious
    Carotello

and
    bluefooted

got my votes. good work everyone. I have to be awake in... five hours... so I'll hold my crits for later.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can vote for as many as you want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    made my votes, delighted to see all the different ideas.
    congrats everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that was a tough vote, i think i kept it down to 5, but there was many others i also liked, but they strayed off the brief a little or the image just didn't quite work as well as it could have, if it came down to simple rendering qualities then i would have voted for more. Was a great turn out, congrats to all those that finished. Can't wait to see what people come up with for the queen, that is going to be interesting

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I could have voted for a lot more, but in this half of the thread I've gone for:

Joiton - Exciting and different! Love it. Main crit: a little unclear with details.

Bluefooted - Smashing! He's a bit floaty on the ground, but that's all really.

Alice - Love this! The expression is wonderful, as are the colour choices. Perhaps a bit more detail within the costume patterns, but I'm being picky.

Davi - Great pose and colour scheme. Could do with seeing his face more clearly for a character piece.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry dudes, the ladies are totally taking it home this time (imo at least)

bluefooted and Jessibean got my votes - awesome work dudettes!
    And happy birthday blue!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots and lots of awesome stuff dudettes and dudes! In this part bluefooted and fydbac got mine of the five total votes I cast... love the fairytale feel in yours, blue! Got a good sense of character in fydbacs character as well, so that one got a vote as well This one was good fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brain... hurts...
    Too many good entries.
    Looks like the competition for top spot is pretty fierce between Stephen_R,
    Bluefooted, Carotello and JessiBean. So glad we're not limited to one vote - it'd be way too hard to choose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On this side I voted for: fydbac, Carotello, Bluefooted and dabble (on the other side I voted for StephanR).

Simply put, the two entries I liked the most were from Bluefooted and fydbac. I am a sucker for the fantastic line work + beautiful muted color images. Loved the costume designs and little details added to each image.

The one I thought nailed the posted brief the best was Carotello’s. He oozes power through that regal stance while incorporating his duty as the flag-bearer for his queen.

Finally, I voted for the image I thought nailed the brief and quality, but totally caught me off guard (sort of a “Why didn’t I think of that!?”) –
    dabble's. The image really is the one that hits on the genre of the old queen the best, and in my mind is her most realistic Herald. She is an “urban corsair” and as such should have a Herald to match. Hi-tech power through speed, while incorporating the banner of the queen. Great concept and really well done image I thought.

Other things I really liked on this side:
    Mr. Delicious – I liked the choice of light source, color and positioning of the figures alot.
    Alice – Love the patterns and design on the fabrics and materials. Great facial expression and body language.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, I think there are many great entries!
    My votes go to:
    Carotello: Simply because he looks like a Herald, and you nailed what I had in mind at the beginning.
    Alice: I really like the design of the dress, delicate mysterious, and not a standart warrior.
    Mr.Delicious: It's more the whole mood and story, than the Herald it self, but I like it really much

when you get to hell, tell them I sent you - you`ll get a group discount

My Sketchbook

kischisart.com
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I only had one vote, it would definitely go to Stephan_R. That one is heart-stoppingly lovely. I hope everyone looked at the big version in the WIP thread; it suffers more than most from being scaled down.

I think I cast about five votes beyond that, though, and STILL had to leave out several I thought were excellent.

Was this the highest level of participation for a ChOW?

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the votes, all!

Let's see... Over here I voted for:

fydbac: Lots of surprising details and a fun traditional style.

carotello: Awesome job! He's gorgeous. Beautiful detailing on the clothes, as well.

Jason Snair: Love the light in this one.

Alice: Wonderful style and a great character.

dabble: One of my favorite entries - it's too bad your thumbnail is so small. I really enjoy the sense of movement in this one.

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oregano you need to let people know that they can vote as many times as they want, clearly and loudly, as obviously people are just making up rules arbitrarily LOL

In my opinion, Carotello has the most complete grasp of the CHOW this time. She far surpassed everyone else for capturing 100% of the elements required. There were about 5 other exceptional pieces, JessiBean, Bluefooted, Stephan_R, Gwenevere, and Penumbra come to mind immediately however, they didn't quite capture the essence of what this CHOW was about. But they did make beautiful art.

I wish we could cut down on the nepotism, but as that's really kinda rampant everywhere in life, I suppose it just is something that you gotta shrug and go 'yeah it happens' and move on.

I'd like to cast a quick shout out to Schade as I think his concept was one of the coolest and the pose interesting, but the technical painting was a bit lacking.

It's too bad how much I notice people being /great/ conceptual thinkers and line artists, and when they begin to paint the quality lacks -- and vice versa. Great painters with no ability to draw correctly.

The disconnect is frustrating to the extreme!!!

“It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerahla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fydbac, Alice, & Bluefooted: there were some good entries in this round, but your's really really rocked the house. All of you had that old school Final Fantasy feel. Add your work is simply splendid.

Alice I've always thought your work was top notch, keep it up. I can't wait to see your Medusa. You going to the Workshop?

Fydbac: Killer style. I love it, your's was one of my favorites here. I'm just glad we were able to vote for multiple entries.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all for your feedback.
    My votes went to Jessibean, Lodin, and Bluefooted. To me they were the pieces that were both solid illustratively and stuck to the folio the most overall.
    Noteworthy were Stephan R and Penumbra, but I decided to keep it down to three votes this time around.
    Nerahla, I agree, there are lots of cases where people are great conceptual thinkers and line artists, and not great painters digitally, but I find that in this case usually the artwork stands regardless. What is really worse is the other way around, when the artist knows his/her photoshop, and can pull some great effects but lacks in basic knowledge of anatomy and proportion. I truly believe that digital is just another medium, much like oil, or acrylics. No matter how many tricks you can pull, if the foundation isn't there, it just isn't.

Edit: I guess Lodin has just been disqualified for posting a piece done a year ago. I am really disappointed because that was one of my favorites. It's a shame that people fail to grasp the whole point of this activity.

Last edited by carotello; December 11th, 2007 at 11:46 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to carotello For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was my first CHOW and I had a blast. Definitely doing more of them from now on that’s for sure. I think the level of work is to be applauded…it seems like everyone really went all out and did their best and because of that I’m going to give everyone a comment. It just seems fair that way.

The ones I’ve voted for: (in part 2)
    Carotello: I think you nailed the brief. Love the costume, the colors, the pose, and the light.
    Bluefoot: One of my faves. Love the linework and the way you applied color. Nice technique. What’s the story with the wasps?
    Alice: Ahhh….so beautiful. Love everything about it. The first thing that I noticed were the textures. The costume is beautiful..and has a realistic and fantasy quality to it
    Mr. Delicious: I like the story you’re going for here. I wish it were a little bit lighter, at least on the Herald. Love the lighting on the swords.

Everybody else:
    DavidHerd: I like the face here a lot as well as your concept for the outfit. I wish it were cropped closer to him so that we could see more. It was neat seeing your sketches leading up to this

C@s: I like the way you’ve painted the armor and lighting. I’m not sure he it screams “Herald” or not, as it just seems more of reg. Knight.

Bendragon: This is nice character. I like the details on the sword and his costume.

Nerahla: I like the tattoos you’ve painted here. I kind wish though that there was a little more of an outfit and I would’ve like to see his legs more. I think that you’ve painted nicely, but could use a stronger light source.

Wizard of Koz: Cool concept. The arm is really nice. I think too much of him is in darkness, leaving us to guess what he looks like. I think it’s okay to leave the back leg in silhouette but I would have liked to seen his waist.

Corspufo: Good concept, however I see this character as being the Queen herself. I don’t get a Herald quality from her. Good costume, though.

Straneiro: I like how you’ve done the head, the armor and arms and gauntlets. I’m not digging the shoulders all that much and I wish he wasn’t cropped off of the right side that like.

Fydhac: Interesting concept. Nice lines. It actually stands out because it’s very different. Love the costume.

Death: Nice paint job. I really like the stance and the hip pads. I don’t know if I get the Herald aspect here, but she looks regal and definitely warrior like.

Tifaria: Nice face, good costume, good colors. I wish there was some more core value darks here. ( like where the skirt goes behind the legs.

Stoat: Great pose. Love the characters face. This guy definitely belongs in the Queens court.

Spudstudios: Woah. I like the face and feather/crown/hairdo. Good pose too. I think that your background is competing with your character too much…maybe tone it down a little..make the those clouds appear further away.

Realitychek: Good action pose. I’m not really sure what’s he’s doing, though. I like the texture you’ve given to the clothing.

Raydiant: This kind creeps me out a little, in a good way. The armor looks a little bit like muscle tendons. The only thing that really stands out for me which could maybe be reworked is the cape. I think that the silhouette is a little plain.

Pragmatist: Cool pose. Nice lighting on the weapon. I wish there weren’t as much black in this, as I’d like to see more of his costume.

Pesmerga: I like the concept you’re going for here. I wish that were some more highlights, though, as everything is resting in medium tones. It makes it a little muddy looking.

Markthebarbarian: Cool concept. I like this a lot. Nice colors on the cloth too.

Manaburn: Good concept. I think you need to work on the drawing aspect a little more before you go into paint mode. Try to nail down all parts of the figure. I’m not sure the green flame is working with the red armor.

KumaKensai: Good drawing. The armor is cool too. I wish this had a more unifying color scheme though. ( Every different piece of armor is a different color.)

Kishi: Good drawing. Nice character. The only element that stands out for me is his left leg. It’s just bending out way too much I think. (I used to do the same thing in my drawings too)

Joiton: Cool concept. I like the way you’ve painted the armor as well as the designs on the flags.

Jip: Very heroic. I like the color scheme here. I think that the chest piece may be bending out a little too much….hmm. I’m not sure though. I like how the flag fades into the background. Nicely painted.

Draixe: Nice idea! Would have loved to seen a slightly different pose though, just so we could see his body more. I think that the red/green is not working though.

Dcept: Nicely painted. I see this as more of just a knight than the Queen’s Herald. I’m also not sure if the sword is working…and I don’t see how it would fit into it’s hilt.
    AngryKid: Good costume idea. Try to pick a light source and think more about modeling the forms…especially in the skirt area.

Slash: Good paint job….interesting concept. I kinda wish that the light from the scroll illuminated his more.

SaturnsGate: Nice concept…good outfit…nice action pose. The only thing that bugs me a little is the right leg trailing off in into shadow. I’m not really seeing it as a leg in shadow.

SD (I think????): Nicely painted. Love the armor…and the background image too. Nice take on the horn/helmet.

Dabble: Very cool. Love this idea. Such a dynamic pose. No crits really

CMobley: Interesting concept. Watch out for the lighting. You have her front lit…but her shadow is falling in front of her. You may want to reshape that cloud too, I don’t like who it fits around her head.

R. Araya: Cool painting. I like the armor. This seems more like just a knight that the Queen’s Herald. I also don’t see how the came is working…not sure how it cape be tucked under the shoulder armor like that. Nice colors too.

Whew!

Last edited by Jason Snair; December 11th, 2007 at 01:21 PM.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jason Snair For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks for all the feedbacks dude. I really appreciate it.

Fydbac, Slash and spudstudios for me Of course I voted for quite a few others but those are my top 3 for this half.

Too bad I couldn't finish mine. It looks so flat and dull compared to all the others Oh well. On to the queen of snakes

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesmerga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Bluefooted and Jason Snair. Although StephanR and Penumbra over on the other side were stronger coneptually, I love the color and composition in Jason's, and the gorgeous rendering of bluefooted's. Plus bonus points to Jason for such a long crit.

I enjoyed spudstudios' concept and personality, but I don't like the bare breasts. Not practical, either from a fictional POV (I'll armor everything except my ribcage!) or y'know, as an element of a consumer product in our Wal-Mart driven economy. I also really liked Fydhack's concept and the style of the character, but again, it seemed impractical. Carotello's design & execution are rock-solid, but I wanted something a little further from the beaten path.

Everyone else, sorry. Lots of good stuff, but those were the ones that stuck out for me.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to mickeymao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, now that I found Poll #2, voted fydbac and bluefooted for awesome design with great execution.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Carotello I think your Herald has to be my fav. he reminds me of the persian messenger from 300 that meets an untimely end down that giant well. SPARTA! *coughs* I mean, fantastic concept, clean execution, awesome work!

mr.delicicious also got my vote on this page. your image is telling a story of someone who is completely devoted to protecting his queen. A powerful piece that captures the moment perfectly. It reminds me a litlle of prince of persia (not a bad thing seeing as Bruno Gentile is my fav concept artist). my only gripe is a very minor one, and thats that the face looks slightly manga to me, but this is just being very piccy. great stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fydbac: I like the style of your herald.

Mr. Delicious: I like the color and the lighting. Your pic tells a story.

Carotello: Veeeery regal. Great concept overall. Everything fits.

bluefooted
    : Love the linework. Love the color and composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like in part one, I based mine on firstly the look of a herald and secondly the strong execution. I was really torn on so many, because I like them but they just didn't quite meet the first two criteria I set for my voting. Koz buddy, I loved your unique idea with the robot and story and hopfully you'll have more time on the next one... keep pushing yourself

fydbac: This reminded me of Lukavi's stuff, extremely detailed with a light palette. Just really nicely crafted, a unique herald well done.

Carotello: A very strong image, what I expected to see from the brief.

Bluefooted: I feel like I'm on a different plane of existence when I see your work hehe, just so inspiring and surreal. Realistic yet stylized, crafted and unique. Beautiful.

Alice: Again, just intimidatingly fresh. I'm afraid to see what you could do with more time on this one. Fantastic colors as always, love the design as well.

Last edited by Stephan_R; December 11th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks for the effort and crits,Jason Snair !!!!!!!!

when you get to hell, tell them I sent you - you`ll get a group discount

My Sketchbook

kischisart.com
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This first part is a copy another post in Part I.

Someone said earlier that some of these entries were too warriorlike, but I thought that was the point. I think ‘herald’ might have thrown some people off, because the brief made me feel like this guy was supposed to be the Queen’s personal body guard or greatest warrior. It’s all over now but a better description for these characters might be bannerman/bannerwoman. The greatest of the warriors who carry their queen’s symbol into battle.

This vote was ridiculous. I couldn’t believe the turnout, and there were dozens of really good entries. I am glad I got to vote for more than one, but I still felt like there ought to have been a consolation prize. A herald for the herald.

Bendragon- I love that character’s stance and the one eye glaring back at you. I couldn’t figure out whether he was a tormented hero, or a well dressed villain.

Stoat- your character wouldn’t get an award for best dressed, but he sure looks like a battle and hard winters aren’t unknown to him.

Mr.Delicious- I loved the storytelling aspect of that piece. One of those pieces that proves a picture is worth a thousand words.

Markusthebarbarian- One of my favorite entries. I wish I could see just a little more of his face.

Jip- loved the style. Your knight and my knight look like they might have been brothers or members of the same court.

Slash- I loved that guy. I don’t really have room to criticize, but if it were me I would have made his armor all green or all yellow.

carotello- I know pretty much for certain that if I had one vote, it would have gone for yours. Unfortunately he reminds somewhat of Xerxes off of 300, but his pose and clothing is so regal and noble looking that I can easily shake that stereotype off. I would love to see a tutorial or something on him.

Alice- I wish I knew some more background on your character, because he intrigues me.

dabble- once again I am afraid that your entry may have gone unnoticed because it was scaled down so far. I still couldn’t help but enjoy the movement in that piece, however.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerberos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason_Snair: you rock the house. Thanks for taking the time to write all of that. The people that get one to no votes, appreciate the feedback. You're right on your comments on mine. Looking at her now, I don't really get the "heraldy" feel from her. Also, the image is a LOT darker than I wanted it to be. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gave up on trying to rate, so I ended up giving two votes in all. One in each thread. Works well since my two favourites are in a thread each.

For this one it's Carotello. Royal, strong, nobody shoots the messenger there.... And a really, really strong picture. My eyes just gets drawn to it, without me being able to really specify why. You can clearly see the brief shining through all the way.

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here we go with part two. If your piece is in the first part, you'll find my crit on it there. As before, I'll first crit the ones I voted on and then all the others.

I kept it to five votes on the second part, and those were...

fydbac: This is definitely some of the most detailed linework I've seen in a while, in the sense of actual depiction and not just decoration. He's got unquestionable attitude and you did a great job of blending urban with fantasy. He's pretty much a perfect fit for our old corsair queen. In my opinion the watercolor style of coloring is one of the hardest to pull off successfully because it lacks the instant depth and mass that thicker paint offers. I think you did a very good job of pulling it off, both through texture and line. He's a unique character that should make a proud addition to your body of work.

Slash: Talk about character, this guy's oozing it from every pore. Very funky design and unique take on the brief. Definitely my favorite of the "alien" entries. While the design is strong, what really pushes this for me is your use of color. Wheel opposites are an easy and often overused way to add tension and vibrance to a piece, but I've often seen it backfire or just not work in a given piece. It's often a matter of saturation for me. In yours I think it really works well, and I particularly love the wall and floor around him, almost as much as the character themselves. The scroll is a bit problematic for me, though I do understand your intent with it. I think if there was a touch more translucency instead of transparency to it, it might make it's being "held" more believable. Or if it was held by one hand from the scroll-case, which is the main problem itself. It seems too heavy to simply float unassisted, when compared to the scroll itself. Think that about covers it, again good work!

Carotello: I thought about this quite a bit and decided that if we were forced down to one vote for the whole thing, yours would be it for me (with JessiBean a close second). I don't need to say much though. I studied the design for a long while and even if I had your skill and talent, I don't think there's a single aspect I would change. At least that would improve it. You've officially entered my short list of admired artists with this entry, though I also think it's one of your strongest pieces.

dabble: There's something very classic about this composition and I can't quite put my finger on it. It really reminds me of the work of various master illustrators though, particularly those in their peak during the late 80s to early 90s. Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't better received even against such strong competition. As far as crit goes, I think there's some weird perspective issues going on with the bike around the front and rear wheels and the windshield. Either you're off by a bit in your angles or it's entirely the shading that's throwing the eye off. Either way that's the main problem area for me. Beyond that I think it just needed a bit more love on line thickness. You're heavy in some parts, like the back elbow, and too light on some, like to front forearm. Consistency helps define things quite a bit so it's something to keep in mind for the future. Basically I think you just needed a bit more time polishing it up, but those are the breaks. Very good work though, and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

R.Araya: I had to offer my vote on this one for the quality of your work and in that I think you kept well within the brief. I'll be honest it didn't move me as much as others I voted for, but that's my subjective side. Technically I like the balance of painting and illustration you found and it definitely has commercial appeal. It's up to par with what I would expect to see as a character concept in a movie or game during the development stage. I think what it lacks for me though is specifically character. It seems more of a concept for a style of armor and that the individual underneath it could be interchangeable. I haven't seen your other work in CHOW, if you've submitted any, so I don't know if that's an issue particular to this entry or not. Either way, keep in mind that it's easy to get carried away with the details and forget that under it all you're trying to design a personality as well. I'm guilty of this myself in the past, so I'm also saying it to hear it. I think you have a solid technical foundation though, and it's just a matter of letting your imagination run a bit more free and less tied down to the accents. And again, that's only from seeing this particular piece.

And now for the rest...

DavidHerd: I believe I remember you claiming you didn't keep to the brief, but honestly I think you did a very good job of doing so. It's obviously not quite finished yet, but it gives a good indication of the character and where you were headed with it. Based on that I definitely like the character, and it seems like he has a story there as well. There's not a lot I can crit at this stage without seeing it fully rendered, but so far I think everything looks good. I'm not quite sure what lighting you had in mind for the face area, but it does seem like you had a solid idea you were headed towards. I'd definitely love to see it completed.

c@s: I really love this one. You did such a wonderful job with your lighting and texture throughout the image and I like the looseness of it. I really wanted to vote for it and the only thing that kept me back was that I didn't see much of a herald in her. She makes for a very interesting knight without question, and there's a story in her as well. Had the brief been for a pure warrior, she would be among my top choices. Technically there's nothing I would change about her though, I think you did an excellent job.

Bendragon: He really has a Prince of Persia thing going that I love, particularly due to your color choices. He looks like he would make an excellent game character. On crit, I think your anatomy and perspective might be off ever so slightly in a couple places, mainly the arms, but it's not too noticeable. I would have liked to see a bit more of his face, but that's your design choice so it's entirely subjective. If you want to play around with different styles, I would say try to lighten up your lines a bit and see what happens. There's nothing wrong with the heavy style you have and it looks great, but it can be interesting to try new things from time to time even if it reinforces the old in the end. Good work!

Nerahla: I think you had a good start there and it's a nice image, but it could have used more work in order to compete with the quality of some of the other entries. If I remember you submitted it pretty early on, so perhaps next time you can try to keep working on it a bit more and see how far you can take it. I think the perspective is good and you have some nice shading going on, but it lacks definition both in the outline and in the body itself. Don't be afraid to go thicker with your lines if you need to.

Wizard of Koz: For some reason I keep seeing a chicken/rooster in there this whole time, and when I really sat down to critique it I realized there's no such thing in the image. It's the combination of colors and shapes that compose him that really do that. In any case, he's definitely a funky robot. I like the idea of the megaphone arm and I think he'd definitely make a great herald in mechanical court somewhere. As with the artist above you, I think you could use a bit more definition in your lines and shading to make him more realistic. You're not that far from it, it just needs a slight push for me at least. Fun concept though, regardless.

Corspufo: Very stylized design you have there. I like the environment you set her in as well as the little touches, like the leaf motif from her scarf area that's echoed on the walls hangings behind her. I think the change of warmth from the burned floor area to her face is a bit drastic though and makes it feel a bit disjointed. I do like the way you did the floor though, so my suggestion would be to bring some of that warmth upward. Even if it's as simple as some faint reflections of those hues on her face and armor. Look at the way you lit the helmets behind her for an example of what I mean. I think that would help unify the image and it's the only real crit I have on it.

Straniero: I liked the concept behind this and your reasons for making him a pretty boy of sorts. I think you executed that idea very well. He's a touch on the Fabio side, but that was the intent after all. The one thing I notice is that the legs might need to be a bit more defined so that they don't stand out as blurry. If you look at the way you defined the puffs around the upper arms and used that to outline the thighs and legs it might be more cohesive. If that look bothers you for some reason, then I would suggest the opposite. Soften up the definition on the shoulder puffs to match the legs. But either way one should match the other since they're shown as being from the same material and thus should react to light the same way. Beyond that I think it's a dynamic and powerful image.

Death: That's a great pose for your Herald. The painting looks good as does your anatomy. She does seem like she's suspended mid-leap though, and if that's the case I would have placed her a bit higher above ground (meaning lowering the grass). If she's not leaping, then I would say you should show the ground beneath the grass more to illustrate that she's standing on it. It just gets a bit confusing as it is, particularly since you used the same color for the ground as you did for the sky. Beyond that I really like her.

Tifaria: Pretty good painting and very good lighting, particularly on the folds of her cape and flag. My main suggestion is that she might need a bit more shadowing to give her depth because she seems a bit flat. She also seems a bit stiff, but that's something that might be intentional. If it is, I'd play it up more. Maybe set her sword vertically against the ground and have her rest on it to support her stiff posture. If on the other hand you want her more loose, parting her legs a bit and setting her staff at an angle would help that. As a design I like her though. She has that simple countryside feel to her, very Joan of Arc. Good work.

Stoat: I know you were a bit frustrated with this guy, but I think he came out very good in the end. The face in particular is excellent, as is the shape of the cape. I'm not sure the way you textured the cape and chainmail does it justice though. Instead of overlaying the texture in photoshop I would have suggested trying to paint it in directly so that it looks more unified. Right now it sticks out a lot to anyone with some experience in digital design, and especially the larger the image size is. If you simply didn't have the time that's perfectly understandable. But I thought I'd mention it for future reference. I'm a fan of grizzly old knights though so I really like this guy.

Spudstudios: Well it looks like all your work in coloring her really paid off. It's a huge improvement from the earlier stages you had shown us. The design itself is excellent as well and she's not one I'd want to tangle with. My only crit is that I think she blends a little too much against the background. If you take her into photoshop and fully desaturate the image (shift+cmd+U on a mac) you'll see that a bit more clearly. The darker, left side of the background in particular almost blends completely with her armor. I would lighten the entire background up by a bit, even if you kept the colors the same. I might also lower the saturation of the background color a bit, as it's a bit too vibrant right now and distracts from the character. All that aside I think she makes for a unique and evil character and the armor design in particular is noteworthy.

Realitycheck: There's some nice color and texture work going on there, particularly with the clothing. I'm a little confused as to what that structure behind her is exactly, but more importantly I think you should focus on your shading and painting to start bringing more depth into the figure. Right now the fabric is good but the rest of her feels very flat. It's a great start though and I like the paintbrush.

Raydiant: Very intricate and interesting design on the armor. The full frontal view gives him a powerful stance which works to your advantage. Mainly I think he just needs a bit more love and attention on the details of the shading, especially around the edges where he feels a bit blurry. It's a great design though.

Pragmatist: I really like the final over the prior wip you had shared, particularly as the yellow in the old one was bugging me. The stance is excellent and you really nailed that nordic feel of a warrior against the winter gale. The spear is a touch brighter than might have been needed but that's just my subjective take on it. I think if the glow radius was lessened a bit it might make it seem like it was glowing from within instead of having an aura of sorts. But it's a powerful image any way you look at it.

--The rest to follow tomorrow, as I need some rest but wanted to share these in the mean time.--

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to form2function For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys rocked. I think you guys are suffering a bit because of being a in a seperate thread. Anyway, here is some feedback on some that caught my eyes.

Mr. Delicious: Very nice atmosphere, very prince of Persia.
    Bleufoothed: This just oozed style and atmosphere. The picture is a story in itself. I like the queen bee reference in there.
    Carotello: Great style, especially in the colors of the herald. He looks very much in charge, and you dont want to mess with him. The pattern on the stairs looks a bit out of place, but that might be down to a matter of taste.
    Alice: Excellent rendering, I love the paintery style. I would have to say though. His right leg is a bit thin though, looks a bit odd.
    Fydbac: Love the whole image, though I think the coloring could use a bit more work. Some parts, especially the skin, look a bit flat compared to the clothing. all in all very good.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Supervlieg For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.