Trapped

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Trapped

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trapped

I would love some crit on my Photoshop work and just in general with this piece.

Anything extrememly wrong, or maybe a better way to show some of the textures?

Im using Photoshop 6.

Trapped

Also any ideas to make the eyes more erm I don't know alive?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dunno if this helps but, to make the eye more alive I would skip the black/dark line above her pupil and shade with a different color and add some eyelashes.
    Just look at yer eye in a mirror.

Also she seems to have 2 tearducts while in fact u only have one.

I like the mood in this pic.

Read more Lovecraft

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks that does help a lot. I'll try and fix it and upload it tomarrow.

Oops about the tear duct thing, Thanks for pointing that out, Ill be sure to remember that for next time. ^^

I appreicate the help. ^^

Thanks
    Thanked 16,677 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This has the potential to be a powerful piece, but a lot of little things are getting in the way.

In General:
    The image isn't reading as clearly as it should because there isn't enough differentiation between the door and the face.
    The textures need a lot of work. The hair looks like wood grain and the wood grain looks like hair.
    There isn't a consistant light source.
    Don't be afraid of reference. If you need to paint wood, look at wood. Look at lots and lots of wood. Same thing with the eye, or anything else. Don't assume that you know what something looks like.

The Eye:
    Part of the problem with the eye is also that you haven't established your light source, so you have all these different soft highlights. One sharp specular highlight will give the eyes life, define the size, shape, and color of the light source, and make the eye look like the shiny wet ball that it is.
    The iris is too small relative to the eye.
    The pupil should be centered in the iris.
    Both the pupil and the iris are too hard edged.
    Since this character is both in a dark setting and afraid, the pupil should be more dilated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dman elwell...those are some good crits...i'm gonna have to keep all that in mind next time i'm working with eyes...you have a really good eye...sorry for the pun, but it's true...nice start iiori, not much i can add to that...keep workin on it...this piece has alot of potential

My Sketchbook

check out the website:

ten30one studios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the great Crits! I really need this

The image isn't reading as clearly as it should because there isn't enough differentiation between the door and the face.
    Im sorry, I'm not to clear on what you mean. I might just be being dense, but could you please explain what you mean a little more? I will do it once I know what Im doing.

I'm going to redo the wood part completely. I agree with you about the textures, Ill do some studies and show you guys.

Is the eye any better? or not?
    Trapped

Thanks
    Thanked 16,677 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To clarify:
    The color, value, and texture of the two areas are very similar. When I first looked at it it took me a moment to figure out exactly what was going on. The strokes of the hair and wood grain especially are confusing. There is far too much contrast in the door, so you're loosing the feeling of a flat surface with a hole in it. The wood grain could be handled with sharper edges but less value range to flatten it out. The hair, on the other hand, could be softer.

The eye is looking much better. The inside edge of the lower lid looks too thick, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just another perspective for you. Mostly praise not crit. I do agree with the above post that the door may not be seperated enought, but how far you go is your choice, sometimes creativity is lost on those not suited to find it.

I think the chain looks fantastic.. is probably the best feature next to the eye. The shading of the eye looks find if light were emitting from above, which doesn't really collide with any other shading you have done. There isn't a 3D appearance because of that ambiguity of light. But the tear duct is certainly something worth mentioning.. and I think that profound tear would look best with the tear duct as the point of origin. Tears often do "pool" along the inside of the lower eyelid.. so if it were closer to the middle it would be more appropriate. Hope this helps =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the problem with the woodgrain is that it is curved. If you made distinct boards. and then within those boards made little grains running up and down and didn't curve them, that would work better.

Batman gives me warm fuzzies

my sketches

my web

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.