Thanks

music in your demo reel

so. one of my classes require us that we compose our own music for our demo reel. but everybody that i have talked to does not recommend this because 1. it requires time that we dont often have 2. most recruiters don't care or will have the tv on mute when putting on your demo reel.

any inputs on this?

best,
    spade

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That seems a bit ridiculous, IMO, first off for the reasons you mentioned, second, I'm sure there are concept artists out there that don't know the first thing about music theory. Even knowing how to play an instrument, its a big leap to composing your own music.

Thanks
    i guess recommend is the wrong word. i mean to say that other artists say that it is not required because of those reasons.

my main question is how important is it really to having your own music on your reel? we dont need to compose our own, we just need royalty free music. however, if its not that important in the industry, i say might as well "borrow" a good band's good song and credit them in the end.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

Thanks
    Well.. if you're note being required to compose your own, its perfectly reasonable for the instructor to require music, if only for 'standard demo reels' sake. I don't think crediting a musician in the credits gets you off the hook legally, if you don't gain their permission ahead of time, but I'm no expert there either. There is lots of good free music out there, just google creative-commons music.

Thanks
    First of all, it's a demo reel of what? Because my sis is doing her reel as a sound monkey and I'm doing my reel as an animator monkey. You understand that the need to generate your own soundtrack would be more important for her than for me.

That said, RyanBarrett is right on the legality of using an artist's track on your reel. Even if it's classical, you need to ask the CURRENT OWNER of the rights (usually catalog holder I think?) for permission. A very few people do it, unfortunately, but that's how you're supposed to do it.

*Imagines a band that would make their music video with her work and (just) credit her... Zoinks! *

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    I've been told by somebody who's been in the industry for years, that employers don't actually care if you use copyrighted music in your personal showreel.

It would be really cool to compose your own music, though. I know a few people who've managed to compose really nice music for their own animation and showreels, without any previous training in music.
    Last edited by HunterKiller_; December 10th, 2007 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Unless you're applying for composer they will not care or it'll be on mute.

On the off chance the sound is up they will be thankful if you avoid using banging techno or the soundtracks to "The Matrix" or "Requiem For a Dream" though.

Put it another way, do you think it would be a good idea for music composition students to design their own cd cover or would they be better off leaving that to a visual artist?
    Last edited by Flake; December 10th, 2007 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Put it another way, do you think it would be a good idea for music composition students to design their own cd cover or would they be better off leaving that to a visual artist?
    Well put.
    This is a time where those... things can come in handy... Ummm... What are they called again? F... Friends, I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Unless you also happen to be a very musical person, composing your own music for a non-music reel is a terrible idea. So is making art for a music reel. Don’t show anything in your reel except your best work, and that includes work that is way out of your area of expertise.

When we review demo reels, it’s a slog through bad animations, and every last reel uses music which the artist did not ask permission to use. Whatever. We tune out the noise and filter through the crap as quickly as possible.

If you are concerned with not violating copyright, then don’t use music. Chances are by the time we get to your reel we’ll have the damn things on mute anyway. You could maybe tape an aspirin to the box to make the experience less miserable for us.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Give credit to the music artist in the least....

Often if you find a song on garageband.com or other independant artist sites they wont mind in the least...