Art: Values - Local Value?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Values - Local Value?

Okay I'm confused about what "Local Value" really is. When local value is spoken of it is often referred to as an objects physical/chemical value. Now since all values are relative, how on earth do we really know what an objects local value really is?

Is local value read from the half-tone?

And how important is it in rendering? I have the thought in my mind that a local value of an object might be say, a "4" on the value scale in a certain light, and according to the intensity of the light you subtract from that or add to it for light planes and dark planes by a step number, such as "3" for intense light or 1 for diffused light.

Am I making any kind of sense?

- loken
    jtriska @ mcleodusa.net
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,975 Times in 2,541 Posts
    yes...the local value is often found in the halftone....its like what the value might be before you put the light on it. a black shirt isnt really black...it has light and shadow on it right? but its overall feel is dark and that is found in the halftone and the reflect/fill light usually.

its been a while since i actually thought about such things...it will be come second nature...but i believe that is how it goes.

same goes for local color...if someone has blue jeans on...like old faded levis...everyone can sort of picture that...that is the local color...if somone has brand new looking levis on...everyone can picture that to a certain degree (granted they sell old looking new levis nowadays but that is moot) that is the local color....think of it like the color and value that you are putting the light ON and the dark ON as well.

the local value of a fresh orange is not lemon yellow...its more of a cadmium orange...but if you put it under a warm YELLOW light and thus put the light ON the object than its color will change toward the warm yellow on the light side...and the shadow color might shift toward the cool violet (opposite color opposite temperature)...but all in all it should still be in the orange family depending on the strength of the light. a black light for example actually reveals very little local color...and value...it will distort it....basically it will change depending on the light source. a realllllly bright light might bleach it out almost totally...as light destroys forms visually...there is no clear formula...

but if you keep painting from life then you will see and remember a range of lights and times of day in terms of color and value. when you have done that then you can create from memory and theory to a higher degree.

hows that for rambling.

j

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 8