C.O.W. - #103: Spongeback

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Cow C.O.W. - #103: Spongeback

Name:  banner_cow_v3.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  109.3 KB

For more infos and details about the rules go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round #103

Topic:
    Spongeback

Deadline (extended):
    Monday, 16th December 2007

Name:  cow_icon_thumbnail2.gif
Views: 1527
Size:  3.1 KB

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to post

In this thread you can post all wips, questions, comments etc
    However if you are done with your entry, post the final image in the following thread.

THREAD FOR FINAL ENTRIES

READ THE INFO IN THE 1ST POST OF THE FINALS THREAD TO SEE HOW TO POST YOUR FINAL IMAGE!!!

Last edited by Fozzybar; December 9th, 2007 at 03:53 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    thanx to romance for the topic idea I have no clue how he came to this, but it is sick enough for COW

ADDITIONAL INFO

1. A creature with a back made of sponge. No second sponge creature which is attached to the body. Just make the back of the creature...errrr...spongy

2. Only the back has to be made of sponge, not the whole body

Thanks

Thanks
    The first thing I thought of was Wilma Flinstone doing the dishes.

I might go in that direction.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I also strangely thought of spongebob squarepants. I really do want to join this one but with a deadline next week and also the internet going off I might not be able to. Will try this time though!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    I also strangely thought of spongebob squarepants.
    Glad I wasn't the only one that thought of that, although he is likely to violate the humanoid rule

My final project for school is done, so I'll see if I can't come up with something cool this time. CA will be great to keep me from slacking off too much during Xmas!

Thanks
    I'm having some problems focusing on painting atm... perhaps a spongeback is the cure...
    Spongebacks have no problem cleaning their backs, while taking a shower, have they?

Thanks
    This is a tricky subject but I like that. It's going to be really interesting to see what everyone creates on this one. I definitely have some ideas and I am looking to try and keep my colors tame on this one instead of being so over saturated.

Thanks
    Guess I'll go first then.

It's just a WIP, obviously. Never done anything like this in Photoshop before, but it was quite a fun experience.

I guess it's some kind of cave dweller. Which dwells in caves which are wet. Not caves which are dry.

It sucks not to have a scanner, but using a camera actually gave a rough and (If you'd ask me) cool look.

I'm quite new here, don't know if this is good enough for COW-material.

Version 2:

Version 3:

Don't really know where to go from here. Any help? I'm thinking about a background, but dunno if it'll turn out any good, since I don't have a wacom tablet.

Last edited by iambanana; December 10th, 2007 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    Iambanana: I think you need more work on it to make it COW material. Some tips that might help you.

-Try defining the creature a bit more. Think how it functions and how its shape evolved from there. Why are the front paws like fins? Does it swim a lot? If it swims a lot shouldnt they be bigger. Are the back legs that big and powerfull for a reason? You need to put some thought into that so the design becomes more coherent. It looks very much like a fairly shapeless blob with a sponge on its back right now.
    -Try to find a focal point and put the stronger contrasts and details in this area. Upscale your image and try to work in the details. Find your lightsource(s) in your image and adjust the lighter parts accordingly! To get a fresh view on your design, try flipping the image horizontally once in a while.
    -Try putting in some background, to give us the viewer a reference on how big this thing is. Its hard to judge its size by now.

I hope these things help you along. And there still is enough time left to take this to the next level. Keep at it!

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice! Those front paws were actually just to make the creature look stupid and pathetic, but you're right; They wouldn't function very nicely.
    I've thought about the contrasts and shades, but I'm just a little scared of overdoing it and ruining it. The light was supposed to be coming from the right and from those blue threads, but I guess I need to make it more obvious.
    I might not be able to do anything about the front legs, but I'll give the other stuff a try. Maybe put some fur on its head and stuff, to make it more interesting. Try to give its skin some texture.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 410 Posts
    Iambanana
    SuperV does bring up some excellent points. I'd like to add if I may:
    Think about what it would take to bring this guy to life. Imagine you've gone to the zoo, and you see him/her sitting in a tank or pen or whatever the particular habitat that has been provided. What would this creature look like? Then, "How would the "Spongeback" look in the wild. What is its purpose in the maelstrom of life? I know it seems like a lot for a simple cow, but in the long run, imagination is what gets the creative juices flowing. Even if you don't have a tablet.
    On the technical side, study the anatomy of a hippo or rhino to fully get a feel for the anatomical breakdown of what appears to be a docile, but heavily armored and dangerous creature. You could even learn a bit from the Manatee if you had to. The point is, and it turns out its true, technique will get you so far, but believability is the key. Go with what nature has provided my friend, and you can't go too wrong. Hope this helps!

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    iambabana also have a look at nature books, these can realy help, both on technique and colouring and also ideas. Another thing you should think about, your painting in digital, dont worry so much about ruining your art. Paint in layers, then if theres something you dont like then just simply delete or hide that layer and then you can do something else instead or go back to the original. Just play around with your image and experiment, that is sometimes the best ways to learn.

Thanks
    So after a long and extended "vacation" though that is hardly the word for it, I've come back with some sort of determination, and want to have some fun with the COWs. So I'm joining in? I hope.

Presenting Snarf and Bob:

It's a start I suppose. I know it looks like Snarf is standing on or through.. er something, on Bob's tail. But I'm actually moving Bob over to the other side of Snarf there...

Next step I guess is colour base... unless someone has suggestions?

Thanks
    After a few sketches I came up with this one. It lives in muddy rivers and scoops up mud and silt for food. I was thinking the sponges could be either some type of odd growth, or they could be used for breathing.

Name:  Spongeback1.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  55.1 KB

Here's an update.
    Name:  Spongeback1_1.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  54.8 KB

Last edited by jfwalls; December 14th, 2007 at 03:12 AM.

Thanks
    Okay I was a dumbass and posted this originally in the finals thread. Xol's entry isn't here in the posting thread, but I'll make my comments about it here:

Xol, that's the best design I've seen in a while. He's like one of those auto-inflating life boats or mattresses. And I like the fact he's sort of a biped caterpillar.

It's not the most rendered illustration I've ever seen, but I don't know if it matters. I 'get' the idea the second I see it, and that's great.

Plus the erectile/sponge function makes perfect sense. And here I was looking up pics of morels and things...

Well done.

Fozz, sorry about the mistake. I think I successfully deleted it from the wrong thread.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Xol

Thanks
    Michael Jaecks
    you are on the black list already

Thanks
    LOL Fozz

Hey what can I say? It took me nine hours yesterday to set up some new hardware for my computer only to find out at the end that for 8 hours and 35 minutes of that time, it was working properly, I just didn't know how to use it.

I have a special talent for that.

Thanks

What creature would you all like see me do? Number 1, 2, or 3?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks View Post
    Xol, that's the best design I've seen in a while. He's like one of those auto-inflating life boats or mattresses. And I like the fact he's sort of a biped caterpillar.

It's not the most rendered illustration I've ever seen, but I don't know if it matters. I 'get' the idea the second I see it, and that's great.
    Michael, thanks for your very kind words!

I definitely agree with your comment about the rendering, looking at it clinically I can see it's pretty scratchy - particularly the lower image. In fact, looking at it now I can see I've screwed up with a layer merge, so the colour goes over the edges in places. FFS, how hard is it to remember to only 'merge visible'? :/

Still, I feel like I'm really only finding my feet with digital colouring, so I'm not gonna angst over it too much. Thanks again man.

Thanks
    Lege1 -
    I had a little trouble reading the text on those, but I liked concept 2 the best from what I could see - it seemed a more graceful (efficient) setup for an organism. It's totally believable that an aquatic predator would develop a disguise to trick its prey into coming close enough to snatch. It's kind of like a moray eel that uses its own body as a lair, or like a snapping turtle that floats on the surface instead of lurking in the mud at the bottom.

As you've got a solid basic concept, my questions would then be about the rest of its life cycle - have you thought about how it moves itself out of danger (or how it manages to avoid *needing to*), about how it breeds, and that sort of thing?

I know you may not need to go down into it that far, but it could be useful for working on

Thanks
    Oh, sorry jfwalls, I missed your post in there. I wish I had more crits to offer, but you seem to have the conceptual side of things pretty well in hand. I did just want to say, though, that those are some damn nice polyps you've got going on there.

Thanks
    here is my idea... I'm having a little trouble on the painting part.

Thanks
    Lege1: I'd have to agree with Xol, I ike number 2 as well.

Thanks
    Im gonna attempt t this.

-Wyrm

Thanks
    Hey Mrianna, what's the go with your little guys? Their tails look like handles. Are they some kind of futuristic GM cleaning lizard cooked up by mad, lazy scientists?

Thanks
    Thanks Xol. I'm worried though that it seems a little bit too much like a fish with some sponges stuck on it though. I feel like I should integrate the sponge more into the design like your is.

Lege1:
    I like you 2nd design the best as well.

maeganite: It's very flat right now. Get some reference for the spongy part, and work on making the animal skin look more textured.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls View Post
    Thanks Xol. I'm worried though that it seems a little bit too much like a fish with some sponges stuck on it though. I feel like I should integrate the sponge more into the design like your is.
    Honestly Jfwalls, I don't think you need to mess with your design too much, but there's always room to dig a little deeper.

I'd think about looking more closely at what kind of advantage the spongy polyp colony gives to the creature, in the evolutionary sense. I mean, you've presented it as what is essentially an alternative to gills, but is that all it does? It's a pretty elaborate growth, and looks like it'd be a pain to have to cart around, so how does it help to make the creature survive and thrive better in its environment?

It's a bottom-feeding scavenger, and it has what seems a fairly efficient feeding mechanism (a scooop-like mouth) so I can't imagine the sponge would be needed in obtaining sustenance, so perhaps could it have an excretory purpose? Or a defensive purpose (maybe something as simple as camouflage)? Or could it perhaps encourage some kind of symbiotic relationship with another organism (or group of organisms)?

Yeah, I reckon you've still got a lot of room to move if you did decide to extend your concept.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xol View Post
    Hey Mrianna, what's the go with your little guys? Their tails look like handles. Are they some kind of futuristic GM cleaning lizard cooked up by mad, lazy scientists?
    LOL, yeah something like that. It's inspiration from the bathroom. and also have the line "Ancient Tribes used to use them to scrub the hard to reach places on their backs..." Stuck in my head.

Thanks
    Thanks Xol. Yeah, I'd originally had a big shovel shaped beak on it's head with no mouth. The idea was that it scooped up piles of silt, and would filter out plankton like creatures for food. I thought the shovel nose looked kind of dumb, so I went with a big mouth, but now what to make the sponges do?

I like the camouflage idea. That was something I'd thought of, but figured it would be too simple of a use. However, simple is usually better!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1