Elf With A Pearl Earring

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elf With A Pearl Earring

Hi guys, im pretty much done with this image. id rather post it here than the finished thread cause i want to improve. so may i ask for some harsh crits. let me have it.
    Elf With A Pearl Earring

ref image
    Elf With A Pearl Earring

thanks in advance
    pix

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    qabas12 is offline Put that ego away Ramone... your gonna hurt somebody with it.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hhhhhnmmmmm.... i can't find anythi- O GOTCHA!!!!
    the hair in your illus could use a tad bit more range because of the lighting I'd say.... and in the same pic, her eye brows seem painted on and not like hair

That's all I could find. Awesome job man you didn't leave too much room for heavy crits. One suggestion which is what a admissions counsulor at the School of Visual Arts told me is "your characters are good, but what I want too see how you do enviroments. I wanna see you place your characters in familar settings, such as your living room, your classroom, or your kitchen."

I hope that's helpful to you man.
    Seeya

Last edited by qabas12; December 10th, 2007 at 01:13 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to qabas12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say that maybe the lips dont quite look like a part of the face, almost as if they're floating slightly in front. Apart from that its looking pretty good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexandraBirchmore For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll second the lip thing, also the original image has the girls head slightly tilted to her right, while you seemed to have drawn the head straight on while leaving some of the features tilted (like the nose.)

cheers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nutter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    her jawline needs something, it makes her look a little bit masculine, that and the lips are the only faults i can find.

great work, take it easy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RebornBacon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watch the area around the ear. Especially, the hair in that area. Yours hasn't got any... making the whole head of hair look a bit like a wig. So add a li'l bit of sideburns there.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookiedough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everyone. all good points. ill go back to it and see if i can fix it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll second the 'looks a bit masculine' comment.

Another thing is: where did the hair under the ear go?

The eyes look a bit off. In the drawing, it looks as if she's looking just above the camera, but in the picture, it looks as if she's looking right at it. Also, in the drawing, one of her eyes looks a bit squinted, but the other one doesn't. (The iris on the left side is mostly round at the bottom, and the eyelid just touches it. But the iris on the right side is partly covered by the bottom eyelid.)

The skin has a somewhat plasticy feel to it, as if she's made of wax instead of flesh. I'd put more warmer tones in her face.

The eyebrows also look a bit 'painted on'. Instead of doing block colour, I'd do more individual eyebrow hairs, getting thinner as they go out (as in the photo). Also the eyebrows are a bit high in comparison to the photo.

The nose in the photo is rounder than how you've drawn it. It kinda looks as if you drew the nose thinking about the nose as a whole instead of that it's made up of three parts (see page 126 of Bridgeman's Drawing from Life -- which you should be able to download here: http://www.ebookee.net/Bridgman-s-Co...ife_62698.html though I have a different version so it may be a different page number). I think you need to make the lower lateral (the tip part of the nose) more round. The way you've done the shine makes it look more like a wedge, and less like a sphere. Maybe try putting some lighter tones (like the same from above the shine) under the shine.

The neck is perhaps a shade too thick (at least in comparison to the photo). Doesn't help with the masculinity thing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update:
    Elf With A Pearl Earring

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you could get rid of the plastic-floating-lips problem if you just added the little dimple of shadow where the corner of the lips meets the skin. Tuck the corners back in with that dash of shadow, and you'll get a lot more 3Dness.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats it,
    **runs off to paint shadows**.
    thanks kaete

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to desaturate your painting and desaturate the photograph, and you will see that in the photo the face is very round, and in your pic it´s not so round. This is something I would attach my attension if I were you.

Cheers,
    pete

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri.J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, great start, but here are some of the major problems I see:

highlights: All your highlights start and stop too abruptly. Look at the shapes of the lighter parts of the picture and see how slowly and softly they blend into the rest of the skin Right now she looks metallic.

reflective light: The reflective light under the chin is too bright and makes that part read too much like part of the face rather than an under plane.

Anatomy: Look again at the sternocleidomastoid in the photo and how closely it corresponds with the bend in the necklace. This is lacking in your painting which makes the necklace look like it's defying gravity.

Nose: The nostrils look cut out of a rather flat plane. Look more closely in the photo in this area and take a look at your own nose to see how the shapes interact there.

Lips: The upper lip is off because the sides curve the wrong way. If you look at the photo, they are convex all the way up until they reach the bottom lip, where they then turn to the inside of the mouth and create the corners. Again, look at your own lips and look more closely at the reference here.

Floating lips: The reason why your lips look like they're floating is because the edges are too hard. Look at your lips again and try to find where the bottom of your lips ends. You'll see it gradates to skin color a lot slower than you think. Also, you have a highlight under the lip which doesn't belong there.

Hope this helps. Keep at it.

P.S. Oh yeah, and the hair looks rather flat at the right and top, as the top of the hair makes an almost perfect circle. Put in overlaps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to do a quick paint over to illustrate some of what i was saying since each point was small but added together would make a big change. You're off to a good start and I can't wait to see your finished piece.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by zypher18; December 11th, 2007 at 07:55 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zypher18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man your paintover looks really cool. i, have a hard time seeing the little shapes shadows and highlights. i dont want to trace either cause that would be kinda cheating myself.

i wish i would have saw your paintover before i did all this.
    Elf With A Pearl Earring

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Squint at the photograph, it'll make the actual shadow and highlight placements really apparent. The way it is, it seems like the shading is a little haphazard, like you're trying to model the face more from intuition than the photo, and its really throwing the likeness off. Mind you, its been looking a LOT, LOT better with each update, so good work.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agree with Chagan, each update keeps getting better. Keep at it until you figure it out. An area you should work on are the eyes. Look closely at the photograph. The eyes are round and so shadows exist at the sides and the skin around the eyes should wrap around a sphere and not be so flat. Also, the edges of the iris and pupil are much softer than you have illustrated. Look closely at the glabella and you'll see a change in color.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to zypher18 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.