Sketchbook: publicBob's sketchy "art"

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

publicBob's sketchy "art"

Creating this in the hope that it will motivate me to draw more. Sadly with full time job and studies in 3dsmax i don't have as much time as i want. Also I am a super beginner and fully aware of it so any c&c would be more than welcome. (As long as it is more detailed than "go study anatomy more" lol as i know my knowledge of anatomy is pitiful )

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go study ur anatomy more.............

lol just felt like saying that lol. but hopefully we see some work soon. im saying this to try motivate u even more

Check out my SKETCHBOOK ...looking for helpful advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches i did today. Apologies for terribly poor image quality. I'm useless with my digital cam and i can't get it to focus properly. I ramped up the contrast so that you can see them a bit better. Hopefully this image manager thingy will work properly...

[edit] I welcome any and all crit about anatomy btw (i crave detailed crits). I don't want my first post there to look like i think i'm king shit of anatomy. (i'm not) I just see alot of comments around where ppl don't give enough detail about what the problem with someone's anatomical efforts is.

@gkrit: Thanks for the motivation! I need all i can get

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start dude. I would perhaps suggest studying anatomy from the head down. Learn the shape of the head, its depth, muscles etc. Then move down to the neck, shoulders, arms, torso etc. I still suck quite hard at anatomy but I've found this to be a good approach. Of course drawing the entire figure is also super useful but at this stage perhaps use it to get poses down and basic shapes. I guess though, it fits together in each person's head a little differently so keep at it until you find an approach that suits you.

In regards to these particular drawings I think the hands are a little small and the chest is a bit huge. I could be wrong though because as I said, i blow at anatomy.

Keep at it though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok ... well now that ive got pics from u to judge, here my proper comment.
    im only gonna say wat i see. and ill try go harsh lol.
    head - crap
    body - crap
    legs - crap
    lol .. nonono jk, but seriously, i think ur legs may need a little more work. when i say that i mean their length, they seem a little too short. maybe its the pose maybe its not (in the first one especially, doesnt count too much towards the second one). but other than that ur works good, but i really need to see more, other than just wireframe pics coz then real crits can come in!! lol
    have fun and post more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick update of some stuff i did a while ago. Did some studies of the muscles in the arm. Arg it's complicated. As is evident I'm still wrestling with my digital camera.

[edit] @gkrit: I'm afraid you'll have to be content with wireframes for a while as that's all I do at the moment. I'm trying to focus alot on anatomy, proportions, etc. before I really get into lighting, shading and full on pictures. You are right about the legs though. I shortened the legs in the first drawing. I don't know why now but at the time i had a reason for it, evidently not a good one though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A sketch from last night i finished off just now. These ups are mostly for the benefit of the AIE people who might be looking at my stuff here hehe. I learned a few things from this one.
    First) I need to study perspective shots where the figure is pointed towards or away from the viewer.
    2) I have done almost no study of hands and feet and I am terrible at them
    c) I need more practice at arcs of movement to make non standing figures' limbs the correct lengths.
    IV) Perhaps i should be using my little mannikin guy to help me out...
    Taso) Looking at it now the right arm looks completely flat. Should have turned it more, especially the deltoid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey again, i hope u didnt take my first part of my previous post seriously.... it was a joke (when i read it sounded as if i wasnt joking lol).
    but anyway, with the kneeled guy, do u try use length comparisons to try draw the arm or leg then manipulate it into a diff pose?? if u do and u understood wat i said just then, play by ear and look at it carefully during drawing process to check if its in proportion. also coz diff percpectives will make limbs that r further bak smaller, and limbs that r closer bigger.
    hopefully this all makes sense .. but going in depth is hard lol.
    but its wat u want lol so im trying .
    works goin good but keep it up even after reading this long ass message!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @gkrit: hehe don't worry I thought it was funny. As for the kneeling guy that's exactly what i do. I do a long line to set up my proportions and then i try to draw arcs in perspective to swing the limbs into the right position. I'm learning from Loomis' books at the moment and that's what he suggests also, just play it by ear and see if it looks good. I haven't had much practice at that so it's still pretty hard for me to make it 'look good'. Thanks for your crits and motivation!

Last edited by publicBob; December 11th, 2007 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of quick life drawing sketches i did a while ago. They both took about 30 minutes. If i do any others i'll try to set up some proportion lines and basic perspective work before i do them. These ones i just looked and drew lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi pB.

I think the ribcages of your figures are too big. I'm still pretty amateur at anatomy and so my advice may be flawed, but what might help is simply to copy anatomy sketches from other artists and photos of (near) naked people, and picking up some good anatomy books (Loomis, Bridgeman, etc.). It may also be more efficient to begin by ignoring weight/balance of the characters (I'm not sure on this).

Deviantart has a ton of good stock artists: http://ahrum-stock.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a quick one i did today. I wanted to try the same one i did before and see if i couldn't do a better job. I hope that i did. Crits welcome as always. Still didn't work out the way i wanted...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this latest one is better than the last. I would suggest studying the spine, skull and shoulder/neck muscles and bones to improve on this drawing. The curve of the spine is really interesting and important to study. A lot of artists, probably most actually, need to position the spine first when drawing a figure. Once you start learning anatomy its hard not to become facinated with how everything fits together around muscles and bones.

A good improvement over the last attempt though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some quick studies of shoulder bones. I need some anatomy books methinks, I have however found a site that might be good for study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have photoshop, you could go to levels, and bring both arrows on the edges closer to each other, giving more contrast to your images (they are not so visible).
    If possible, concentrate more in simple shapes rather than in the complete muscle and bone system. It maybe to much to look at for now.
    They look kind of cool anyway, but see if you could make more and in a simpler fashion. Good work mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About an hour on this one today. Trying to get a bit of a grasp on heads. Crits are as always super ultra welcome.

@ninetails: Thanks for the crit. I totally agree the chests are way too big. I usually start out with a ball for the chests so that i can get their rotation figured out in my mind. However this results in out of proportion chests. Not sure how i'll fix that.

@lennon: Yeah i try to increase contrast but at a certain point it gets very grainy and looks horrible. I think part of the problem is that i use a 4h pencil so the lines are pretty light on the paper to start with. Hopefully at some stage kind of soon i'll be able to get my hands on a scanner

@derryn: Cheers for crits. You're totally right i started doing some study of shoulder/neck area and i have no idea why i even tried to draw that area with no clue of what was there. Awesome stuff the skeletal structure. I think i have a basic idea of the skeleton (shoulder/neck area) now, next up are the basic shoulder muscle groups

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure how long on this one, probably about an hour i guess. Tried to do the same image as before but fix up the parts I messed up. Also I had some reference pics for this one. I tried to focus more on making things full and round in my mind before I drew them. I think it's a definite improvement on my last effort. As always crits are orgasmically welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quick one i started at work. 10 mins in my break between classes did the eyes , nose, cheeks and cranium. A further 30 mins at home yielded a very poor pair of lips. I super need to work on lips. Urg i hate to look at them. If anyone can give advice as to what i'm doing terribly wrong please share.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suck at lips too so your not alone...

anyway

I am not that good so i cant help you a lot but one thing that did help was to do anatomy studies of only one part of the body at the time, like first arms then legs and so on. Another thing you could do is to first draw sketches of other people (what i mean is that you need to draw sketches of sketches, its easier for beginners)

if you would check out my sketchbook it would be great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is definitely the last up tonight I need some sleep. I couldn't help myself and did a quick lip study out of Burne Hogarth's book on human heads (which i'm liking alot) I then did a super quick sketch to rough out a human head to see if i could make it work when positioned on a face. The result is okay i guess considering how little effort i put in. Hopefully i'll get a more serious shot at it tomorrow if time permits (which is doubtful... :'()

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.