Thanks

art/design schools in australia? (Repost)

Originally posted by ken:
    can anyone recommend a good art school in australia? i live in adelaide, but there's not a whole lot keeping me here. tell me where to go! for two years i did arts majoring in multimedia, with some computer science, but i've figured out the only thing that rewards me (in addition to driving me insane) is art.

thought this forum should have more threads than moderators...

-Ken

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Originally posted by jng:
    Hey Ken, I sent you a reply to your message, before I read the forums. So you're in Adelaide? I don't know of many art colleges where you are. I know there are a couple of options here in Sydney. Are you willing to leave home and travel interstate?

EDIT:

Ken, here is the link to my uni website, you should be able to get a general idea of what it's like and the courses they offer.

http://www.cofa.unsw.edu.au/

Hre is a link to the various forums we have there, several lecturers check the messages so if you have any questions, you could try posting. The most active forum there is the Digital Forum and that's where you're most likely to get a reply:

http://www.media-arts.cofa.unsw.edu.au/phorum.html

Thanks
    Originally posted by ken:
    thanks man, i'll check out the website. i don't really know if i can afford to move interstate, let alone overseas, but fingers crossed. it seems the further i go away from here, the better the art education

-Ken

Thanks
    Originally posted by zaar:
    I just discovered this forum, and this is my first post

I'm quite curios on what kind of art schools there are in Australia. I've decided that I want to study abroad, and Australia seems like a nice place. The problem is that I'm not really sure what I want to study... traditional art/painting, illustration, animation or some kind of design. I havenít really been searching properly but one school that Iíve come across is Billy Blue School of Graphic Arts , itís seems cool but Iím not sure if itís want I need. I just want to get a way from Sweden to experience another part of the world, while learning something useful.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Brain:
    I've been told that RMIT in Melbourne is _the_ best place for art, so that's currently where my sights are set for next year. Next in line College of Fine Arts which jng appears to go to, though apparently there's no HECS available for there. This correct jng?

I'd also like to get back to Brisbane, so Griffith University (or more specifically the Queensland College of Art) is where I'd like be up there. I've seen work that comes out of there, and I've heard positive words, so I'd be more than content with there.

Oh, I'm looking to do a degree in Fine Arts, so uni preference might be different for you depending on what area you'd like to cover. RMIT's still the best for everything artwise, so I've heard. I'll hopefully check it out around AGDC time (Dec 6-8) so I can kill two birds with one shtone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontemonti
    Originally posted by zaar:
    I'm quite curios on what kind of art schools there are in Australia. I've decided that I want to study abroad, and Australia seems like a nice place. The problem is that I'm not really sure what I want to study... traditional art/painting, illustration, animation or some kind of design. I havenít really been searching properly but one school that Iíve come across is Billy Blue School of Graphic Arts , itís seems cool but Iím not sure if itís want I need. I just want to get a way from Sweden to experience another part of the world, while learning something useful.
    dude, you are insane if you ditch Sweden to travel to Australia in search of an art education/career. INSANE.

on a side note, I've only heard negative things about the Griffith College of Art, both from students who have studied and graduated, and former academic staff.

sorry for being so negative, but you have to hear that side of the story. I've studied a Bachelor of Multimedia Design at the University of Queensland, and it was a joke. I can not speak entirely for other states, but here there is an utter lack of industry professionals, and the top universities employ NONE.
    seems they've all gone overseas.
    Last edited by cam; April 19th, 2005 at 08:10 AM. Reason: ..

Thanks
    SO does that mean that nobody here goes to TAFE in Sydney for art? I am about to start at the Meadowbank college and was hoping to get together with present or past students and do the CA thing: Share, Critique and Grow!

Anybody?
    Last edited by comixnut; February 1st, 2007 at 03:42 AM.
    -PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2