Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Beneto's brain on paper - At Reverie!

Hey y'all!

I have been a lurker to these forum for a while now, and I finally decided to throw myself in the water and start my own sketchbook.

A little about myself: I am originally from Montreal, Canada. But I am currently working in Chicago for Midway, as a sr. character artist, in the videogame industry.

This type of job is a blast, but it might hold our creativity back from time to time with all the technical restrictions that usually comes with it. That is why I enjoy freeing myself with drawing and painting. Both traditionnaly and digitally.

I am hoping this sketchbook, through your critics and comments, will help me evolve as an artist.

(I was at the Montreal Workshop and I am going to be at the Seattle one as well! Hope to meet some of you there!)

Here are my first few images:
    Last edited by Beneto; March 28th, 2009 at 01:36 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome to CA man.

Nice images.

Like the fur around her beck. She is like a lamp right? Or how I should out it: sending out light.
    The upper looks pretty good, but the lower part of the image is kind of flat.
    I think it could look better to see some light on the necklace like you did it on her coat,
    and make the hole-patterned dress have a thickness to it.
    Plus perhaps building some forms to her breast with the blue colour you have on her face.

Keep on posting mate.

Thanks
    NICE... working in the videogame industry is where i wanna go... and ur there!
    i agree with joaKimArt ... u captures the hair and fur well in the first image
    but some highlights and darker shadowing is needed.
    also ur second image looks good... but i see some potential in it to be even better in style, think a lil bit, rework it or wateva and he could turn out to be a MAD character.
    come by my SB sometime .. i would like to no wat u think of my stuff
    Check out my SKETCHBOOK ...looking for helpful advice!

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

joaKimArt: The idea behind the first image was to make a composition with highly contrasted shapes together, that is why I made the skin so light but it was not meant to look like a light bulb, hehe. You are right about the flatness of the lower part, it is something I will work on. Plus the dress thing as well. Thanks for your input.

gkrit: I will try to do a second, more detailed, iteration of that armor to see if I can make it look more interesting. If you want to work in the game industry, I think you are at the perfect place, here, to help increase your overall artistic skills. Keep it up!

And now, a few excerpts from my latest sketchbook (all muscle studies):

Thanks
    And here is a little something I created during the day.

Thanks
    Those muscle studies are great stuff. Great great start here, keep it up.

Thanks
    You have talent my friend. I enjoy the pieces that you have posted so far and I can't wait to see more.

"A perfect machine can be made from imperfect parts."

Thanks
    last monster looks really good, thinkin about it now i should really start to photoshop my creatures and see wat happens.
    anyway, bring in more
    Check out my SKETCHBOOK ...looking for helpful advice!

Thanks
    Thanks guys, I will try to keep them coming!
    I actually can't wait for the Holidays to focus on my drawings.

Here is a quicker one I did tonight. I tried to stay looser, since my creations have a tendancy to become "stiff", the longer I work on them.

Hit me with some feedback, I appreciate it!

Thanks
    i think the last piece the edge of the face (where the nose is) is sort of blury maybe make it more detailed or sharper.
    but still awesome work

Thanks
    Now that you mention it, yes, I think it is too blurry on the nose. I originally did that to integrate the character a bit better with the background, but I think I overdid it. Thanks!

Here is another one I did. This time, I wanted to try a warm palette for the skin, overlayed on a cool, desaturated background. Hope you like!

Thanks
    Hey thanks a lot for the visit. Love your stuff. I just love the one in the first post and post #5. nice color work. The mucsle drawings are totally amazing man!!! Keep posting

Thanks
    Lovely that you started a SB! And its a good start here. My first and only advise at the moment would be on skintones. Skintones have been my major battle this year. Its hard and its a damn good feeling when you feel you start to get a grip on it. Right now your skintones is a bit OF from the rest of the piece. It gets a bit flat and messy and the color looks like its not part of the picture it looks as if its ontop of it kinda pasted in. Use a lot of reference from other artists when learning it, it helped a lot for me. Like your SB so far dont slack of and post a lot!
    Mahalo!
    Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    I think the hair on the old man is very nice. The highlights and the skin color are also spot on.
    "A perfect machine can be made from imperfect parts."

Thanks
    Thank you all for the feedback!

B-Man - thanks for the honesty. You are right, the skintones and background doesn't fit very well. I will add a bit of ambiant color on the character. Desaturated blue in the shadows, and reflected blue-ish light in the highlights. This should help. I started with a warm canvas and warm skin tones, and when I switched the background to cool colors, I didn't pay enough attention to how it would impact the rest. Thanks for straightening me out I will definitely practice more on those skin palettes.

Here is my "homework" for tonight. A few hand studies, done with my good 'ol faber-castel black pencil:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast