Wow.. I suck. Help me get better please?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well, I found this site and was stunned. People actually crit. work here! Coming from DA, and FA, I have to say, good lord was I surprised! I'm a 'self-taught' artist so far. Somehow, I got out of school with out taking a single art class. Which is odd, seeing as how I Eat, Breath, draw, and sleep. Being self taught sucks, when no one will help you get better. Now, as for being a professional artist.. I'm not sure. I've always wanted to write and illustrate children's books.. Having still kept most of my favorite children's books, and loving children's books with amazing art since I could distinguish art styles. I have a very Cartoonish style I've been told.. and my anatomy is horrid. Especially with humans.I will admit, I do Furry art, which will be seen as a blasphemy to the art world. But I was raised on cartoon animals, so it doesn;t seem as bad to me. I would love crit.s, as well as some information on where I can find anatomy tutorials.

Here are some of my images:
    Not.. sure. I guess it was some demon dog XD It was drawn rather early in the morning, to stave off thoughts of food.
    A Genie cat.. I know.. the wings are atrocious. Im not sure what I was thinking :/
    Yay. A first attempt at computer coloring. Suck much? Why yes. It does.

Thank you in advance,
    ~Yaru

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your work would benefit from doing a lot of proper anatomy studies of animals. It looks as if you're trying to draw things from memory even though you don't have a solid grasp on how these creatures body structure or muscles work. This is something very important to know no matter what style of art you want to work in.

Start a sketchbook here and focus on doing some animal anatomy studies. Begin with one animal and just draw things piece by piece first. Start with the skeleton, draw the bones, observe how they connect into sockets and their lengths and shapes. Then do muscle work once you get comfortable with drawing the body. There really isn't a tutorial for this, it's just a matter of observation. Also, on the side, do a LOT of observing and drawing of real animals! These don't have to be super detailed, just small gesture work to get the motion of the animal down so you can see how they move. This same application also applies when drawing the human form. See if there is a local figure drawing course that you can join up with. Or, if you are too young or your parent's don't approve, go hang out at the mall and draw people or get friends to pose for you.

Good luck! And remember to update your sketchbook too. You can get tips and pointers and you can also track your own progress this way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the thing about drawing furries (and anime): you're memorizing a series of set moves. You're looking at a lot of other people's work and picking out your favorite bits, "this is how I'll draw an eye, this is how I'll draw a leg." You're learning to make symbols. And you're choosing those symbols from an existing set made up by somebody else.

Hey, that might be okay. If you're doing this for fun, being a really polished symbol-drawer might be all you want to be. You'll never create anything new, because you don't understand the objects that your symbols represent, but if you don't want to be a professional...so what?

If you want more than that, it's going to be a lot of work. Meli is right; animal studies are probably the best place to start.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Here's the thing about drawing furries (and anime): you're memorizing a series of set moves. You're looking at a lot of other people's work and picking out your favorite bits, "this is how I'll draw an eye, this is how I'll draw a leg." You're learning to make symbols. And you're choosing those symbols from an existing set made up by somebody else.

Hey, that might be okay. If you're doing this for fun, being a really polished symbol-drawer might be all you want to be. You'll never create anything new, because you don't understand the objects that your symbols represent, but if you don't want to be a professional...so what?

If you want more than that, it's going to be a lot of work. Meli is right; animal studies are probably the best place to start.
    Die furries! Die!!!

Haha, you know I remember when deviant art was mostly sketches before this pokemon crap took over (Then again, I remember when anime characters actually had strands of hair, round pupils, and noses).

It's like the world is devolving into primitive cave paintings (no I take that back - those cave paintings look better than furries) and ca.org is the last bastion of hope for a furry free world (or at least one where people who draw furries can learn 'they suck').

Okay, so if you're drawing Pokemonish and you upgraded them to Yu-Gi-Oh and sometime in your life you hope to reach the heights of Inyuyasha, it really is a good time to step back and ask yourself what you want out of what you do.

'Not sucking' basically means you are the master of your art - you decide whether 'it sucks' or not.

This starts by assuming a certain responsibility for your work, not so much the individual pieces as developing a disciplined commitment towards art itself.

Sure you can start with life studies, but its a matter of whether you have the right mindset to come back everyday and evaluate your work and continue to progress.

Oh and if you really, really don't want to suck, getting a giant tattoo of the Massive Black rooster so you can get into their workshops for free might help :p

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AshenWraith View Post
    Haha, you know I remember when deviant art was mostly sketches before this pokemon crap took over (Then again, I remember when anime characters actually had strands of hair, round pupils, and noses).
    Yeah, well I'm old, and I remember people who absolutely nailed drawing Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse. Seriously, there were plenty of people who labored and labored until they learned *exactly* how certain cartoon characters were drawn. Often enough, in one single pose.

When I moved into this house, somebody had painted two small murals on the wall upstairs in what had obviously been a nursery. They were really very competently executed scenes from Disney. I don't remember what, exactly. Donald Duck was in one of them, I think. I'll bet anything the person who painted those couldn't paint a still life if his or her life depended on it. (I felt kind of crap about painting over them...but I did anyway).

I think it's like needlepoint or memorizing dance moves or something. Some people get enjoyment or relaxation out of it. And that's okay. It ain't art, but it's okay.

But it is hard to know what to say to those people when they ask for critique.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.