Sketchbook: Sylas's Waffle-tastic Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Sylas's Waffle-tastic Sketchbook

    Yuuup i decided to make one of these...
    Haven't really been able to scan any of my actual "sketches"
    Due my scanner being a dick
    but heres some of my digital work... and if i can find any old sketches i will put those up too XD

    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Well, here are some shitty ass webcam pics of one of my millions of sketchbooks
    ill try to get a new scanner sometime

    Attached Images Attached Images    
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=112659

    Seriously... lets all go to Denny's and order some Waffles!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    450
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 139 Times in 62 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Interesting, I dunno what kind of style you're aiming for but keep working on it. Your digital work looks like it was done in paint though due to it's lack of rendering,/depth (even though anything is possible in paint, that's the general work that comes out of it) is that the intention? Your figures seem stiff and a little boring and I can't really judge your sketches yet since they're so blurry due to the cam hahah. Anyways, no matter where you want to take your art it's always good to have a solid foundation so draw plenty from life and possibly take in some of Andrew Loomis' books. The vilppu drawing manual is also really good and for training your eye, try posemaniacs at http://www.posemaniacs.com/pose/thirtysecond.html. I know this is pretty general advice but I really don't know what to critique because I don't know what you're aiming for in terms of style. Good luck my friend

    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

    Available for freelance
    Email: ambientchroma [at] gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherRain View Post
    Interesting, I dunno what kind of style you're aiming for but keep working on it. Your digital work looks like it was done in paint though due to it's lack of rendering,/depth (even though anything is possible in paint, that's the general work that comes out of it) is that the intention? Your figures seem stiff and a little boring and I can't really judge your sketches yet since they're so blurry due to the cam hahah. Anyways, no matter where you want to take your art it's always good to have a solid foundation so draw plenty from life and possibly take in some of Andrew Loomis' books. The vilppu drawing manual is also really good and for training your eye, try posemaniacs at http://www.posemaniacs.com/pose/thirtysecond.html. I know this is pretty general advice but I really don't know what to critique because I don't know what you're aiming for in terms of style. Good luck my friend
    personally, im going for a really comic-bookish style, my main influences are jhonen vasquez, jamie hewlitt, and salvadore dali ( i know, nothing to do with comic books, but i love his art). I guess you're right that all of my figures are stiff, most of them are completely drawn from my mind except for the first one, which was done from a photograph. I have been reading the loomis books, and i find them very helpful. Thanks for the advice, im thankful for any critique as long as its not "get bettarz lolololol1l1l1ol" ^^

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=112659

    Seriously... lets all go to Denny's and order some Waffles!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San diego , california
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    do you own a tablet because i can tell you sketch on paper looks quite better than your digital.
    If you are serious about your art maybe get one for xmas.

    but study study study , or the tablet will go to nothing.
    That is if you don't have one yet.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by xxzxczx_me View Post
    do you own a tablet because i can tell you sketch on paper looks quite better than your digital.
    If you are serious about your art maybe get one for xmas.

    but study study study , or the tablet will go to nothing.
    That is if you don't have one yet.
    i have the smallest tablet that wacom sells
    and im not so used to it
    im way more used to traditional mediums
    as i type this im doing a head study x3
    thats the one thing i love about xmas break, so much time to draw ^^

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=112659

    Seriously... lets all go to Denny's and order some Waffles!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey keep posting, if you have the small wacom try to see if they have a new driver that will let you edit how the mouse moves, like if you can set it to be proportionate to your screen size, thats how mine is. I just got mine recently and am still getting use to it; but it is going FAST. After maybe six hours alltogether you will start seeing huge results. Just practice coloring your fav. sketches, drawing shapes, goofing off with it. etc. Your hand muscles with develope to get control of it real quick. Till then keep posting. Nice letters, let me see some wild style, do some head studies from tons of angles too. Hope you find your other sketches and post them soon.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    the best thing you can do is to practice a lot on paper before going for a tablet. Its a lot better to have strong foundations on real media, to then go to digital stuff. You should look at works from people here, a lot, like me, are doing anatomy and figure studies. Keep practicing and keep posting.

    _lalovergel_
    I consider it a challenge before the whole human race, and I ain't gonna lose.
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115243
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lalovergel View Post
    the best thing you can do is to practice a lot on paper before going for a tablet. Its a lot better to have strong foundations on real media, to then go to digital stuff. You should look at works from people here, a lot, like me, are doing anatomy and figure studies. Keep practicing and keep posting.
    thanks for the tips, i do actually draw a lot, ive got about 4 sketchbooks, one of which i carry around with me most of the time
    ive been working with real media since i was 14, but ive only seriously gotten into art since about march of last year. digital mediums would have to be secondary to me, i prefer to look of real media

    currently im working on my life drawing skills. libraries rock for that

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=112659

    Seriously... lets all go to Denny's and order some Waffles!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yeah man,
    Just keep posting
    I want to see what you are capable of
    And Read those Loomis books!
    they help so much
    Good luck!

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=115768
    MY SKETCHBOOK OF DEATH!

    The water always finds a way through the rocks -ancient Chinese proverb


    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    I got groaned at for pointing out flawed logic and giving critique. I thought that only happened at deviantart.

    my myspace page {I am only 15}
    http://www.myspace.com/i_tried_to_live
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Green-fire View Post
    Yeah man,
    Just keep posting
    I want to see what you are capable of
    And Read those Loomis books!
    they help so much
    Good luck!
    but im soo lazy lol
    yeah, im gonna try and get a new scanner
    post up some of my life drawings
    thanks for the comment

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=112659

    Seriously... lets all go to Denny's and order some Waffles!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    thanks for stopping by my SB!

    I really want to see more of your stuff before i begin to make many comments. definitely crack open an anatomy book. you hear that all the time, but the truth of the matter is that's what's gotta be done.

    Scanners can be a real pain in the ass. If yours is giving you a hard time, you can usually get pretty good snapshots of sketches if you get some good lighting and set your camera on 'macro' or 'close up' mode. Please post more!

    Looking for other Denver area artists!
    My Scribbles - Take a peek
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Siamese Goldfish View Post
    thanks for stopping by my SB!

    I really want to see more of your stuff before i begin to make many comments. definitely crack open an anatomy book. you hear that all the time, but the truth of the matter is that's what's gotta be done.

    Scanners can be a real pain in the ass. If yours is giving you a hard time, you can usually get pretty good snapshots of sketches if you get some good lighting and set your camera on 'macro' or 'close up' mode. Please post more!
    i left my anatomy book at a friends house, along with my main sketchbook
    i know i need to work on my anatomy, and i really want to, people are funner to draw than fruit
    the thing i used to take the pictures was my webcam lol, i dont own a camera. hopefully soon i'll be able to afford a new scanner

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=112659

    Seriously... lets all go to Denny's and order some Waffles!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook