Sketchbook: skinned
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: skinned

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

skinned

I'm a long-time lurker and new member here. I tattoo professionally, have been for the last eleven years. I work on a lot of artists and other tattoo artists, and often find myself showing other artists in general my work...

I'm trying to break out of relying on client directions and find my own voice again. It's difficult when working on other people's directions, after a while, to have your own voice free of that; I'm hoping posting here and getting some critique can help me refine my work and get back on track.

Here's my sketchbook. all sketches are done since fall 2007, unless otherwise noted.

Name:  aaaaaaandnd.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  24.6 KB

Last edited by resonanteye; November 16th, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some color/blocking sketches from work-related stuff.

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about the inconsistent sizes in the last post. I am not accustomed to doing very much with my stuff digitally.

Here are a few more, these also are work-related.

It's very hard to find time for my own projects when most of my creative energy gets eaten up by work. I will post more from the personal sketch book tomorrow, or later tonight, once I get some decent images together.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I worked from 3:30 til 11 today...well, almost 11. I just got home from work. I woke up early and drew a few sketchy little things over coffee, then went for breakfast and the rest of the morning routine. Then off to work; I had someone cancel so I sat down in betwen myfirst apoitment and the next and drew soe more fun sktchy stuff. Frs dd ths tattoo, the drawing/work-up is also included. I never do a work-up or prep sketch in color. I find it easier to draw it in lack and whete, if at a, then make the color decisions on skin. otherwise I don't enjoy the finishing steps of the process as much.

also here are one or two of the sketches I got to do in between times today. dinosaur mmm...that was fun.

then I had to do more tattooing. I drew a thing with wings...it came out well but I drew it on skin, so I have no sketchbook entry for it.

I'm hoping that I get to draw more tomorrow before I go to work. It's really hard to fit in time to draw just for myself. Now my creative juices are all used up, I drew for people at direction for nearly six hours today- I don't have much energy of any kind left for my own play time. Tattooing also makes my hands hurt; so I will probably just go soak my wrist and drink cocoa instead of doing anything creative tonight.

I'm going to try and post something in here at least every other day; making this sketch book thread motivated me today to actually sketch instead of going on line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By the way, I am an art school drop out. I miss criticism. Any and all critique is welcome and would be heavenly; even if it's unkind.

I have a pretty thick skin, tattooing makes you grow one regardless of your preference. The people that pay me to make permanent stuff on them are very harsh critics...having critique from other artists would make me very happy. So feel free if you can think of anything useful for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some really cool stuff here. I especialy like the monkey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks berf! yeah captain monkey was fun.

I had to work the last few days, so I did more tattooing than drawing. I have off tomorrow though and plan to work through the day. In between stuff at work I did some things just for fun, here are a few:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are a few things from last month. I have the day off today, and spent the morning sketching for some watercolors. I have a show at a local gallery joint here in february, so I've been trying to throw together a lot of smaller pieces for that- I want to cram the walls with things people can afford to take home...

since I spent the day prepping for stuff I don't have much in the way of interesting sketchwork. So here are some older things. marker studies for tattoo work, a couple of small oil sketches on wood.

landscapse are my weak point. I took perspective classes back in my day as a student and never could seem to get a landscape to feel right anyway- something about the lighting. I've been trying to work on those more...I'll be doing some sketches in the next few days outside (in this terrible oregon monsson) and I will try to post some up here next time if I can. That little birdy landscape was meant to be a sketch, but my mom liked it so I framed it and handed it to her. Moms will always like the most awkward little things...

sorry if any are hugely sized. I'm still fighting with my photoshop batch function...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this past two weeks or so, working on a bunch of watercolors for fun, and I am throwing a tattoo in too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had bronchitis for the last week. That sucked. Here are some of the things I was working on before I was so rudely interrupted by illness.

perspective sketches
    some watercolors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya there!

I'm always glad to see another tattooist on this site I really like your work! How long have you been tattooing?

There's something here that's kinda grinding my gears though. It's more of a personal style thing, but I believe it's still important.

Do more life studies. Do more paintings. NOW. And try not to fall into the same styles as "old skool" tattooists - it's been done to death. I'm aware that the style and genre has its novelties, but... it's kind of like drawing anime all the time. You won't become a better artist unless you expand your influences and experiment with different styles. In my opinion, the tattoo industry is lacking in serious illustrators. You definitely have the skill and the talent, so go for it

As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketches are excellent. Obviously you have the skill. I would suggest trying to break away from the standard tattoo style (bold lines, strong color, a-symmetrical contained pieces, etc.) and really explore the possibilities. If it were me, I would immediately scrap anything that began to resemble a tattoo and start over. If you spend all day drawing tattoo's, there's no sense in sketching more tattoo's when you get some time for yourself. Check out other work. Try drawing more scenery, figures, still life, etc.. Anything that will take you out of your day-to-day groove.

I can imagine how exhausting it would be meeting someone else's needs/ideals all day long and then trying to muster up the effort to jam some of your own ideas in. But don't let that stop you. Good luck with your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suppose I should have posted more of my older works. I only recently started to come to enjoy drawing tattoo-related artwork. I used to work mainly in oils, and do mostly figures and abstract pieces.

hahaha

I've been a professional fine artist for twenty years, and a professional tattooer for eleven, working in a studio from the start.

As I said I have just started to play around with old-timey tattoo imagery. I used to hate it. I've begun to really enjoy the simpkicity of the aesthetics involved. I liked the things I was doing before, but I got tired of them- how many figures can I paint? Not too many more.

I also don't feel like doing anything too abstract anymore. I'm trying to play around with the more standard imagery in my field, so I can then use it in a more individual way...and no, none of these are traced from "flash" or reproduced from anyone else's work. It's just the stylization that makes it have that classic old school look to it.

here are a few older things. This may help you see where my roots run-

Thanks both of you though for the thoughts, and for the criticism. I need to definitely keep up with my sketching and my less formulaic stuff.

PS I despise anime. I like Tex Avery a whole hell of a lot, though.

1.from 1998
    2.ca. 2006
    3.unfinished piece from 2006
    4.2007-did not enjoy this one bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One or two more oldies.

Like I said, I've gotten tired of the more figural stuff. I am trying to aim more...I hate to say tattoo art, but I want to end up incorporating a lot of the feeling of this kind of thing into my work more often.

Hope that makes sense.

2. 2004
    4.2007- and more along the lines of what I'd like more of my stuff to look like...somewhere in the middle/.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, some interesting pieces so far.

I used to design flash art for tattoo studios a few years back, and dabbled with the idea of actually becoming a tattoo artist, but I decided that I just couldn't survive on measly £60 a week during the two year apprentice period!

I have a couple of mates that tattoo though, and it's always interested me as an artform in general.

Looking forward to seeing some more work from you soon, it will be interesting to see how you progress.

C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few things I did over the last week or so. I have a show I had to prep and set up for, my opening is next sunday, I hope it's fun. So I was quite busy again and only had time to do a bit of art...

last one was started a while back and I finally just finished it not too sure about the crosshatchyness of the second thing, the heart. meh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a lot of trouble with the sepia FW trying to get it consistent, and a consistent blend. the black is easy but that sepia ink is a pain in the ass. nice tone to it though and I wanna keep using it

I've painted in oils for a long time, this year I was told by my dr no more solvents for a while, so I've been playing with watercolors now instead. It's a very strange jump in media for me. Both are relevant to the tattooing though. I like trying new things though too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been a good long while. I'll go easy on the updates. been working in watercolors all this time mostly, with a few forays into oil, pen and ink, and a long stint with assemblage.
    Name:  CAM02804.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  697.9 KBName:  CAM02618.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  732.1 KBName:  CAM02985.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  739.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  finished_flamingo_by_resonanteye-d4rzt38.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  271.2 KBName:  hippolisting.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  132.1 KBName:  5635150-large.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  23.3 KB

a few recent things. sorry for the image sizes, I am trying to remember how to size things properly for the forum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last update. most recent batch of things...in better image scale, haha
    Name:  halloweeeeeen.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  33.6 KBName:  HarpywithKey-AnjiMarth-WatercolorandInk.jpg
Size:  75.1 KBName:  il_570xN.501117613_2zh3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  87.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been working on these animal heads for about two years now and I've done sixteen?seventeen? of them (not counting just as many failed attempts) The bear sketch is the one I'm working on now. They're just prisma on tinted paper I made last time I had papermaking day. I had a ton of 8x12"ish paper and no idea what to do with it so I started using it for these

Name:  CAM03153.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  1.26 MBName:  allanimals.jpg
Size:  804.0 KBName:  CAM03151.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  873.9 KB

Members who have read this thread: 10