Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey's Sketchbook - Nudity

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Monkey's Sketchbook - Nudity

Well, I'm kind of embarrassed to post up here, because of the amount of amazing work and the noobish ways of mine :p Tbh, I'm lookin forward to learning though.

So here is a couple of my sketches, and just some questions and the like.

I guess the biggest thing is I'm at a block in the road...I want to learn how to improve my drawings, learn to paint, all that good ol' stuff, but I don't know where to start. There is so much out there that it confuses me. I want to learn it all right though, so I don't develop any more bad habits. So hopefully some of you experts can help point me in the right direction. I guess my main goal is to be able to sketch out what I see in my noggin and then carry that through to digitally painting it.

Anyway, here are some sketches I made from photos a little while ago. They are rough and quite messy, but I'll try to get some better ones up shortly. But please crit away, and I'll try to get more up for you guys to crit.

Edit Jan 01

Right guys...this is the first year I will devote to 2d art. The plan is for it to be the first of many more. So please crit and leave me comments that hurt my heart but make me improve!!

The goal for this year is to become skilled with digital painting, and pencils (mainly for fighting and stabbing things). Also to be able to draw and paint from imagination and create something other than poop.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by retardedmonkey; September 28th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well im no expert but theres surely nothing to be embarrased about.
    as far as getting started .... imo pencil drawing r best and seeing uve started with that, i think u shoudl coninue with it. through that ull learn the anatomy and faces, proprotions and so on. after that u can experiment with all kinds of mediums such as computer, like u suggested.
    so study away and ull be well on ur way lol
    btw ... i like ur mechs and the last chick

Check out my SKETCHBOOK ...looking for helpful advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Gkrit, you're right...I just have to sketch as much as possible, make studies..etc. I'll learn as I go

Sorry for the lame quality of the pictures, the paper is to big for the scanner though...so I have to use a camera :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like ur studies have got ur eyes covered ...
    i really like the shaded face with no eyes guy on first page.
    when ur comfortable drawing with em id move to the other features of the face as mentioned b4 but good start .. im liking it
    also ... look at my sketchbook if u like. go hard at it with wat u think.
    ... anyways back to my wireframe heads!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was messing around with shading the mouths and figured I would have a go at painting in photoshop.

I think some of my darker colors (what is that called...tones?) are a bit to desaturated. It's still kind of early with the painting, but still please crit what I've done so far Oh and the right eye I'm still workin on making it look more like a wink....

The ship is kind of messy, but I'm hoping to bring it into photoshop soon and clean it up...but you get the idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More mouths....please crit these, I really want to make sure I'm not messing up horribly before I move on to other parts.

Also would it be smart for me to try painting these sketches I have here, in color? Or should I be doing some other practice in order to learn color?

Anyway here is the picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NICE MOUTH STUDIES!!!
    ur r way better than mine... im trying, but now im gonna have to use ur work as reference coz they r great. lol u should have a look at mine.... no joke lol ! i think my main prob is i didnt captuure my lightsource well enough and my darks couldve been placed wrong.
    but ive got a question ... do u also find it hard to do a mans mouth?!!?? lol .... i wonder wat slight diff could make the difference.
    but good stuff

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you're doing alright with your mouth studies, but i'd suggest drawing more of the surrounding features too. mostly because the mouth sits on the "ball" or "cylinder" of the teeth. (if you can get your hands on a skull model, you'll be surprised.

i know you're not asking for advice, but...
    1) lips almost always have soft edges. the only exception is if there's a lot of dark lipstick involved (but in that case there's not a lot of rendering and just a couple of shiny highlights). even though the lips look like they're a different color than skin and you want to draw a line around them, you've got to be really careful. the line has to be the same "value" as the lips themselves.

2) when you're modelilng the lips, don't exaggerate the "three forms on top, two on bottom" thing by darkening the lips between the forms. that rule is better for understanding the rhythm of the lips, not the rendering.

3) even if it doesn't look like it in your reference, darken the teeth on either side of the mouth. you need to do this so all the teeth feel like they're on a cylinder--the ones on the sides are turning back into the mouth and going into shadow. also pay attention to how the lips cast a soft-ish shadow on the teeth most of the time. making teeth too white (unless it's for a dramatic reason") can be distracting (like making the whites of the eyes too bright).

4)pay attention to the corners of the mouth. interesting forms can happen here. the line between the lips is usually darkest here, but the line is not hard. a lot of muscles from the cheekbones insert into a fleshy "node" right outside the corners of the lips.

5)you've started drawing it for some expressions, but start practicing the "W" shape under the lips. this is the underplane right above the "ball" or mass of the chin.

anyway, keep on drawing! i hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gkrit - thanks man Tbh some of those mouths were mine I just took a couple pictures of different expressions and just tried drawing them. I guess I have a girly mouth?!

I wouldn't use mine as reference man, they're not perfect...Just take some pics of your own mouth!

Chris, I already thanked you in your thread...but I'll thankyou again anyway

The first thing is, I'm kind of worried now why it came across that I wasn't looking for advice. I'm desperate to learn! Like I said in the first post, I'm at a block and I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing to learn everything I should learn correctly. So your advice here really is much appreciated

So for the lips, no dark line...I guess mainly part of the problem is that I see them as a different color and instantly I think that they should be darker. I have to get a grips on the whole colors as value thing. Would the value of the lips be ok if I didn't have the dark line around them? Or should that be lighter as well?

For the teeth, I'm guessing it is a distraction because of the high contrast when they are white against the dark inside of the mouth...

Lastly for the "w", that will be seen even when the mouth is closed and without expression? Do I have it right on any of the expressionless mouths?

Thanks alot for the input guys, it helps alot! I have a project to finish so I can't draw as much this week, but hopefully I'll get some free time as the week progresses.

Last edited by retardedmonkey; December 12th, 2007 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lunch break at work...and I see what you mean about drawing the surrounding features of the mouth. There is a bit more than just the shape and rendering of the lips.

I only had a ballpoint pen though so the lips aren't as faded into the skin as they should of been. Also the shadow in the reference made one of em a little darker.
    Even then they shouldn't be a sharp line, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work on the last few mouths!
    i think theyre kinda good faded nto the skin, especially the down lip. the upper lip needs some more attention, but that will come as u practice more, dont worry about it

Oblio is offline Pointless. 1st CA student. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is pretty solid.
    I seem to understand form.. at least in small junks... now.. you should try to focus on doing full faces - and make sure perspecitve is right on all those features. Also.. while you do your values you need to make sure light has a flow on the big object (as full head and not only each feature).
    Then... you need to move to expressions. Work with a mirror and from life.
    You have a good start but you need more confidence - draw MOOOOOOORE. Don;t be shy... Andrew said: Every bad drawing is a good drawing.. it takes me closer to getting better. Work ALWAYS pays. And there are NO shortcuts in art. So... draw all your family and friends... constantly analyse form and values and so on. Once you get those right.. you move to color.
    If you like drawing/painting.. it should't be too hard.
    There... my cents

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot guys! I'll definitly take your advice and keep drawing!

Oblio, I see what ya mean about the perspective...it's harder than it seems to get it right on the full face. It will come with practice like you said, it just gets so annoying when I'm so...unskilled and everyone else is so masterfull :p

But I did these while I was waiting for my ambient occlusion to bake for my projects.

I found a nice site with a bunch of portraits so I'll hopefully be flying through these. Does it matter that I'm shading the way I am? Should I be using a different technique or is the cross hatching ok?

Oh ignore the hair on the second picture...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been trying to draw for a couple hours per day, and here are some of what I've done so far. I wasn't really going to post these up, but I'm getting frustrated because...the proportions are off on almost all of them. Also my shading is lame, which I'm not sure what I should do to make it better. Should I use darker values or something like that?

The last thing that is bugging me is my actual shading technique, I can't figure out how people can just shade with lines in a specific way, and make it look good. When I try that it looks like crap so I always use a blender. Any things I could do that would help me improve that my shading technique?

I think I did a decent job at butchering some of these :p Hopefully I'll improve from more and more drawing...so they're a little nicer to look at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to get better with proportions...please crit away, any help is much appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, it has been forever since I posted anything up on here. Alot has happened since I last posted. I'm going to school at Cleveland Institute of Art and I've been drawing like crazy lately.

Honestly I stopped posting up here because I felt overwhelmed by the amazing people on here. As of late I've realized that I can't not draw because everyone else is so good, I won't get better unless I just draw all the time. Soo I am going to start posting my sketchbook pages up here. I've been getting about 4-5 pages a day, which I'm really happy about. Also even though its not totally evident in the drawings I have become more confident with my drawings and also my observation skills. Hopefully as I post more up there will be some drastic improvement.

I'm currently scanning in all my first sketchbook which has like 3 pages left, and then I've finished it in a fairly short amount of time. I'm going to post that sketchbook up here slowly as it will be a huge dump, then I'll start posting my newer stuff.

Please critique me as much as possible. I need tips and pointers and any suggestions on studies would be just as great.

Here's the first dump of em. If there are to many pictures let me know and I'll cut back.

Sorry for rambling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some quick still lifes to try and familiarize myself with painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flood the thread with one more batch of sketches, before I go to bed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yet another dump of sketches. And the scans still kill the actual sketches they're not this bad in the book!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another quick study trying to get better with photoshop. I'm hoping to do a few of these color studies. Hopefully soon I'll improve to the point where I can make some nicer paintings with PS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more pages...grrr I can't get these to scan in right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice stuff there, I like it. Hope to see your photoshop skills develop.

Have a look at my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks sjmarshy! Hopefully I will see some improvement soon, I really hate not being able to paint good :/

Here are some more scans.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some new studies I've done in PS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you paint in real media? These have really nice colors!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Major improvement since you started 1 yr ago!! Push those color studies, they have a lot of potential. Looks like you're drawing from life, which is the best thing you can do.
    You can improve the quality of pencil scans if you
    1. scan them at a very high resolution (better than scanning low res)
    2. resize them to be smaller, so they fit in here, like yours before
    3. apply the "sharpen edges" filter. this removes the little blur from the scan.

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vantid, I just started painting this year at school, so I'm fairly new to it. Unfortunately I am going to art school and painting and drawing is what I'm doing the least of...and its all I wanna do

Kfeeras, thanks! Yea most of the pencil sketches are done in class in an attempt to stay awake. Also because everyone stays still

Thanks for the tips on the pencil sketches! I don't have a scanner here at school but it makes the pictures look better too. Hopefully that will help them look like they are in the book.

Here's one page from yesterdays sketches. I'll post more up once I take another break.

and one more color study. I'm trying to keep these quick so that I don't get to depressed when I can't finalize them right away. Still trying to tackle the techniques of photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent progress with the pencils, be careful to not outline the features tho, use tones to show form and how each face faces the light... keep doing what your doing ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Randalthor You're right I need to use values to show the meeting of the planes instead of using lines. Its a bad habit I have to get out of.

Here's some paintings....the face one is painful, so please crit it and lemme know where I'm going wrong. I need to stop being scared of painting and just do it.

Hopefully from here on I'll be stumbling through painting everyday, regardless of how bad I am

Last edited by retardedmonkey; December 3rd, 2008 at 11:39 AM.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1