Sketchbook: Monkey's Sketchbook - Nudity - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Monkey's Sketchbook - Nudity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason, thanks man for the input! I tried to draw the hand from my mind without looking at it...and I failed You're totally right about everything you said about the hand. I'm going to start doing some more hand studies soon because I really struggle with them when it comes to drawing from my mind.

The painting...bleh, I'm not getting very far on that stupid thing. I'm trying to keep from getting frustrated but I can't mix colors like I see them. I spent another hour and a half on it and I think I made it even worse than it was. Although I had to change lighting because I moved.

Now about the temperature and color, I believe I understand what you mean. Pretty much because I have both my accent colors as the same exact color/temp on both sides it flattens the image out? The last question is that if my lightsource is a warm color my accent would be cool, correct? I'm trying to fix it but its not working, hopefully the next session will be better off.

Toffeeliz - Thanks for the advice and comments! I need to get to the store and buy some more colors, I'm missing alot of colors that I should have Yellow Ochre and Cobalt blue are on the list for my next trip to the art store...and this time I won't loose them

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah yeah yeah!! I really like those animal studies, man. Especially the birds. The structure in that painting looks great, too. Really makes me want to try and find the time to get my paint out again. Just so... busy!

EDIT: I forgot to say, yes. That's what I meant, about how having accent lights on both side of the portrait, both of which are the same temperature, tends to flatten the image. It's confusing, because you'd think the same would apply for bounce lighting (same temp as the main source) but people never tell you not to do that. So really, you can break rules whenever you want, but the main thing that I do agree with is this... When you have two light sources: 1 main, 1 accent (not a bounce, but a different source) it's generally agreed that your accent light should be a different temperature than your main source. Sorry it took me two posts and like four paragraphs to get that out, haha. It happens to me sometimes.

Last edited by staticpen; April 16th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thnx for kind words in SB! dood ur pencil hatching is off the hook!! i'm really digging ur sketch style and u have inspired me to sketch the rest of the day away!

that last picture of the dog with big puppy eyes is mad kawaii

Do u use any medium in ur oil paints? I know wat u mean bout mixing colors, just started last month and frustrated as but hell but keep doing cuz i see the goodness coming soon, i mean at least ur colors aren't muddy which is great cuz that'll only strengthen ur confidence in making bold color choices

keep up the great studies and sketches!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pencil hatchings are getting better and better! Your animal sketches are great as well. keep it up!˝

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks guys!

Jason - Thanks! Still not sure what animal to do for this project...so any suggestions would be great! I'm leaning towards some sort of funny drawing of surcate's, I think thats the name. Bah I'll have sketches up later instead of trying to explain it.

For the painting, I understand what you meant now!

snootchy - Haha yeah I'm getting frustrated with this painting too. Mixing colors is so much more difficult than I thought it would be. I feel like its really helping me though, because I am forced to slow down and look at what colors I see, instead of just painting stupid peach colors. So even though its slower its really helpful.

As far as what I'm using in the painting, its actually acrylic. I want to try oils soon though, I've only done one still life with them and I enjoyed it, it just seems like to much of a hassle for right now.

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

Braintree - Thanks!

Alright, so I've been doggin schoolwork for the whole week and now its coming back to bite me. So I've been really busy trying to get final stuff done in time and I haven't been able to draw all to much. And unfortunately I don't see much free time until later next week. After finals though its going to be free time galore! I'm extremely excited to be able to do whatever I want for the summer.

I had some time to do a painting this morning as I waited for breakfast....I'm rambling but I am excited about this one too. Mainly because of the fact that I didn't use all of my normal colors, and also I didn't end up making the figure to dark. Painting in real life I think has helped me and I'm started to not simplify things more! Maybe its not as exciting as I think it is....but I'm just happy I'm learning

Enough stupid talk here's the painting!

Oh man I just saw the stars!!! Thanks for the stars!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, creepy guy with no eyebrows. Haha. Glad you're moving forward. Good luck with finals, dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreed on the creepiness, but nice muted skintones; also like the warm to cool shade in the left eye socket

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha of course I forgot the eyebrows...ah well its about color!

Thanks though for the comments guys! Hopefully I'll finish everything up in time so I don't need luck!

Here is some renders I did over the weekend, to contribute to not doing any work. The body on the second one is screwed up. For some reason I was really tight when I was sketching the body, which resulted in the errors. The right side is to thick I think...if you see anything else let me know what to focus on in the future!

Sorry this is a bit brief, I've too much work to do

Last edited by retardedmonkey; April 25th, 2009 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, I'll get new pictures of the last two images up on CA. I keep forgetting that photobucket blocks nudity....even if its poorly rendered

I've been swamped with finals as of late so I've had almost no drawing time, other than for my drawing final. But unfortunately that is not turning out quite like I wanted it to. Watercolors are fun but I haven't got a full grasp of them yet so the first two drawings aren't that pretty...The next one should be better, because I think my problem is the same with watercolor as it is with everything else. I need to simplify.

I'm really hoping to have most if not all of my final work done by sunday. Then its all what I wanna do for the summer! Freedom is two weeks away

This update is just some more quick sketches I did in preperation for the final pieces. They're quick and somewhat sloppy but figured I'd post the progression to the final thing. The idea is the evolution of meerkats, so they went from primitive to inventing weapons, then they found guns and space ships...this is all in the future of course. Once I finish the last two drawings I'll post the "final" ones up...although if I had more time I would have another go at them when I understood watercolor.

Enough talk! Critiques would be greatly appreciated, as well as any tips on watercolor. I apologize for the bad quality of the pictures, I didn't have a scanner handy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes!! Ha! Man, this meerkat project is just grand, dude. All of those thumbs have strong compositions and interesting poses. Great job, man. Can't wait to see the final project!
    I see what you mean about the watercolors. WCs are hard to work with sometimes. I suppose the difficulty depends on the shading technique you want to use. There are ways (such as paper tilting) that some people use to get nice gradients, but it's tough to get right sometimes. And with wc, you kind of have to get it right the first time. @__@ You can't just paint over it like oil or acrylic. As far as technique, I don't now how much you already know, so stop me if you've heard this once before. But as you know, you can't really go lighter with wc unless you paint opaque. So it's generally taught to go light to dark and work in a lot of layers. There are tons of combinations of wet on wet, wet on dry, dry on whatever, etc. Working really wetly has never worked for me, as I don't have the patience. I've always had a scrap piece of paper nearby to make a mark on before taking it to the piece as well. Just because wc is very unforgiving, I like to be sure I'm putting down the right consistency before going to the painting, you know?
    Also, the torso on the first wc you posted here as "waves" on it, you know? That's typically a result of painting with too much water. It's a useful effect if you're looking for it, but it can ruin a soft gradation or flat color application if you're not careful.
    So yeah man, just go for it. Sometimes it's helpful to pretend you're doing a live demo for someone when you paint. It helps you to remember to use your left brain to think things through and know what you're going to do before you put the brush to paper (again referencing the unforgivable nature of wc). This approach is mostly an attempt at capturing the confidence we have as critics that we don't have as artists. We can always point out where a core shadow is missing when we're looking at a piece of artwork, but for some unknown reason we forget these things while we're making art ourselves. So give it a try... explain to some imaginary person why you're making every mark you put down, and where every reflected light and temperature change occurs, and why. It's a good experience.
    Sorry I keep going on, but I also wanted to say that I think your drawing up there is really great. I haven't seen you handle edges and contours that well in a while, man. The rhythm and proportion is very nice, and your shadows don't look flat at all! The only thing that gets me is her jaw. I see you made a reeeeally light mark heading upwards toward the ear, but as it is it looks like her jaw runs all the way to the back of her skull and it's quite distracting. Just darkening that one line would bring the whole drawing together. Nobody cares if some parts are unfinished, but when something appears incorrect as well, it can bring the whole drawing down, you know what I mean? But again, really solid work! Can't wait to see the other drawings. Try mediafire.com for your uncensored uploading needs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason thanks alot for that post up there, was extremely helpful! I really appreciate the time you take to give me suggestions and crits.

Ok so I haven't been able to do to much work lately just because of school work and everyone wanting to do stuff on the last week. Thus the amount of work is not as much as it should be.

As of now I will not be going back to school next year, I'm going to be staying home and getting ready to go to art center for entertainment design. So hopefully my work will improve quite a bit over the next few months!

Here's the work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the figure stuff I've done lately and then a painting for my mom of her mini horses

Any critiques, comments...whatever would be great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man! Check out the work getting put in by Mike! Awesome chunk of goodness here, dude. I had a big smile on my face for quite a few of those goldfish concepts. Hearing about it was weird and confusing, but now it makes all the sense in the world, hahaha. Have you settled on that one design you've fleshed out a bit or are you still searching? I got a particularly good laugh out of the fish suspended from the legs with his head in a bowl of water. Haha. I get the pump>gills theme you had later in the process, though. Speaking of that painting, I really like the layout and colors and stuff. And the red under the green. Fun layers.
    I can see you've been tackling CD.com lately, haha. Lots of good pose work in here. Something I've noticed about your 3/4 view heads is that the jaw line is rather harshly horizontal a lot of the time, and you end up putting the ear near the back of the skull. They aren't often giving the impression that the ear is in the center, where it should be. Other than that, looking better each update!

P.S. Amazing horses. :d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jason, I just kind of stopped working on the fish. I'll most likely choose one of the designs and do some sort of final piece for it soon. But for right now I'm trying to get caught up again. Not having drawn for the past couple of days messed me up...that or lack of sleep. As a result today was an epic fail as far as drawing goes

I'm going to start doing studies of the figure each day (as I'm done with school now) and practicing rendering, starting with pencil. Mainly because when I went back to do some studies and pencil renders today, it failed. So I must learn these skills real good!

Anyway here's the stuff I did today alot of which is very wrong proportionally.

Attached Images Attached Images              

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mike

The figure stuff is looking great, the improvement is clear to see over the whole thread.

Love those meerkats too. Keep drawing dewd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think most of these figures look pretty good, actually. The rendering at the end is top notch, though. Well done dude. ;D
    Now, when you draw your figures, where do you start? You wrote some notes that you draw people too widely sometimes. A pretty easy way to keep clear of that tendency is to draw the ribcage first and place the shoulders, then add the head after that. If you put a head on its side you can generally fit two from shoulder to shoulder. So just take the length of one shoulder to the spinal line and you have the correct size for the head.

Keep drawing dude! You're really getting much better as these pages tear on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your lines look great! And your fish drawings made me laugh... Can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks Ben! Get online sometime so we may speak more often! I'm out of school now so I'm back to being online all the time

Jason, that little tip helped alot. Even though it has been pounded into me at school I always seem to forget. So once I did what you suggested before and talked to myself as I drew it started to get better. Defining the ribcage and building from there is a huge help.

willmunny, thanks!

To everyone thanks for the comments, its great motivation

Ok so I've started doing concepts for my friends project. It's been really great practice so far, and it's resulted in a longer painting. I'm not overly happy with the result, but spending the amount of time on it really helped me learn alot. I'm planning on doing a bunch more of these so hopefully we'll see some improvement fairly quickly.

Aside from that project I just have a bunch of studies from ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alrighty, some photoshop practice. I think the biggest frustration is not getting frustrated at these paintings. It really ruins my day when they turn out bad. I keep having to remind myself that by doing these studies I'm moving towards understanding both painting and the technique.

I'm trying to use textured brushes more and focus on simplifying the object I'm painting. Another thing I'm working on is not getting the same peach colors for the skin tone. Most of the images I use for ref have that color to them, but I'm starting to see some of the undertones in areas and pushing them a bit.

Tomorrow I am going to try and spend longer on a portrait. I need to start forcing myself the spend long on these...

Right, now its bed time so tomorrow isn't another off day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, check out the work you're putting in! Really inspirational, man. Those perspective studies are wild! The painting there turned out fantastic, I really have to hand it to you. Way to nail down the lighting.
    The portraits all look good, too. Speaking of skin tones and pushing stuff, you might try giving more saturation to your core shadows a whirl. Those and reflected light are always more saturated than the plainly lit surfaces of skin, so it could be a good outlet to make your creative overstatement in a portrait. Great work, man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason, thanks again for always helping me out and commenting on my stuff! I really appreciate the support!

You're right about those shadows, I was looking at them today and was thinking they should be pushed more. I think I don't push them because I'm afraid it will be to much, I need to just do it.

I'm going to spend tomorrow doing quicker, around 45 minutes to an hour focusing on color and value. I keep trying to paint things from my head for concept stuff and I can't do it...its really frustrating. Everything that I paint for the environment just looks like crap. I'm thinking this is because I need to spend more time doing studies. Aargh I wish my brain didn't freak out so much due to me not being at the level I want to be at :/

Anyway spent the day on longer pieces, I tried to spend over an hour on them. I think they were just under 2 hours or so...I'm liking spending more time on pieces, trying to work things out as I go.

Crits and comments are welcomed as usual

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo dude, u crank out an awesome lot of work, im jealous! good work even...
    your rendering is very good now, and the animals look great as well. face color is pretty hard for you. i understand what it feels like, ive got the same problem, its too light, too dark, too yellow, too red. strange that its never just fine
    i like the colors in post 205(14th of april) though. keep it up!

Poland //Where bears walk down the street
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great production painting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love the idea of ground-walking-suit for fish

My first sketchbook... wanna improve!
    I also wanna rock! ROCK! tuptuptudum...tudumtuptudum...tudumtuptudum... I - want - to - rock!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ajvenema - Thanks man Yea, my skintones are a real pain I can't seem to nail them down. I've been trying to figure out what to focus on whether its my color itself or the value of the color. I'm thinking that its a little bit of both...I dunno hopefully I'll start making some sort of progress with this painting crap. If you find out the secret to skintones let me know!

mrpank, mike butkus, quackart - Thanks alot guys! I really appreciate the support

So I've been busy getting my portfolio ready to send around to studios. I finished that up today and sent my stuff to bungie and rockstar. I highly doubt I will get anything, but I'm still hoping! It would be totally awesome if I got an offer from them

As far as 2d stuff goes, I'm still plugging away and moving along...slowly. I really wish there was a speed up button, but theres not so I'm stuck with my frustration of not learning quick enough. Although today I've been calming down abit and just taking my time. I did a stupid painting from my imagination to see how I handle color without reference. It's not as bad as I thought but it's still no where near where I want to be.

The rest of the stuff aside from the boar rider are all studies. I'll be back to doing more work tomorrow.

Crits and comments more than welcomed as always. Specifically on skintones and color in general. And if anyone thats pro at painting happens to stumble upon this thread and read all the way to here....any explanations on how you approach the whole digital painting process would be amazing! I'm done rambling now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished this one up. I have a bunch of other stuff to post but don't wanna take pictures of em right now...I'll do that later.

I'm starting to think that it is in fact my values that are screwing me over. If my values are right then technically my colors should not matter as much...they have to go along with each other, but they're not as important. What happens is I focus on the color itself and forget about the values. In my mind this makes sense, but if I'm totally wrong about this, let me know please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok another batch of stuff from today and yesterday.

There are a few concepts for the dodgeball mod I'm helping a friend out with. The model of the environment is looking tons better than my crappy sketches...so I'll post that up once we get a little further along!

Tried some paintings but the lighting changed half way through so I put them aside until the same time tomorrow. But yeah, I think I'm making progress with painting. The 2 hear have a buttload of errors but I know what I can do to fix them, which is a good thing.

The one is way to bright, I need to make the main value on the left hand side a little darker. More like the nose is. Actually the noses are my favorite parts so far...gotta keep practicing this crap!

Comments and critiques please please please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked back into the painting from yesterday. Ignore the right hand side, its way to small, didn't add the darks in on that side. I'm pretty happy with it actually, I learned alot about it, mainly with values and how to mix colors better. It's not amazing but its definitly a step in the right direction!

Thoughts on what to do for the next painting study would rock!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another not painting study. Trying to get better at seeing values and colors from life. I messed up the clouds and stuff trying to make them pop more...

Eh, oh well I'll get there eventually.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1