Sketchbook: Monkey's Sketchbook - Nudity - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I have some more paintings! This latest one I'm happy with because I didn't give up when I reached that 5 minute point and I wasn't done. There are a few things off, but I can't fix them now... Great idea on me doing this one Jason, I learned a ton from doing it. I believe it's a copy from craig mullins.

Also I attempted to use textured brushes...and they do make you feel more professional. it's not about skill its about whether or not you used textured brushes! :o

I need to write my paper now...since I skipped the class its for to work on it. so unfortunately I can't give in anymore to the sweet calls of photoshop.

Yea! Page six

Comments and crits more than welcomed!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I have to say again, painting with company is a lot easier and more fun. And we're in very different areas of the country, haha. Can only imagine what it'll be like to paint with people in person.
    But anyway, great job, and thanks for doing it with me. I'm thinking tonight we could copy another photo, or maybe we copy some mullins or bumskee. Get an idea of where and why they use textured brushes or hard rounds, air brushes, photo overlays, etc? Hopefully I'll see you on tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jason, it really is so much better to paint with other people. These mullins copies are really helping a ton. Hopefully soon we won't have to copy for practice

Anyway here's the painting from last night, and also some more sketchbook pages. Actually these are the last ones of this book, I'll try to scan some more in from my other more recent ones.

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colours and lights on the last one are really nice. Is that a mask?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies keep at em, some more contrast now and then would be in place

rock on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job last night, man. It still holds up as I look at it now, which is always a nice sign. You know, sometimes you'll paint something one day and look at it another and it'll look weird, cause you have a fresh perspective? But yeah, this one still looks swell.

Are these drawings from life? Like, in your class, do they let the student choose which media to draw with, or... Cause I don't often see life drawings in pen and ink.

As far as how these studies are helping... Something that clicked for me last night, anyway, is that I shouldn't be afraid of saturation. Most life-like colors are muted neutrals, so I rarely ever put my color picker thing way over in the saturated stuff. But as I was copying that still life, I kept noticing that the colors mullins was using were a lot more saturated than mine in most cases. His value contrasts were also a lot heavier than what I normally do. So I guess it encouraged me to be bold with my strokes and stuff. So yey studying.

What'd you get out of yours?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Janos - Thanks! I think it is just a way that mullins uses to loosely render the face.

Brun - Thanks dude, I'm going to start trying out some more stuff like markers, and painting. But I'm going to try to push myself to experiment with new mediums.

Jason - The drawings are from a book, unfortunately we can't choose how we draw for the life drawing. Normally it is charcoal or ink pen and brush. I can post some of that stuff up later. If you'd like to see it.

I was noticing the stuff you mention about value and saturation. He uses some really saturated colors, yet they look so nice. It's really opening my eyes up to how to use them, and making me want to simplify everything!

As far as what I am learning...Its kind of wierd because they kind of contradict each other but....its helping somehow I'm learning to simplify everything like he does, it makes the painting less scary and more managable. Also I'm figuring out how big of a difference slowing down makes on the work. I've noticed it is alot easier to work when I don't have to stress about how long I am taking to do my work. So I'm starting to break away from the time restraints I slap onto myself, and the resulting frustration.

It's very relaxing after busy days at school too, best hour of the day

Anyway I was waiting for my meeting with a teacher and I scanned in some sketchbook stuff I've done recently. These ones I did on a somewhat off day, and I was extremely tired...but more to come. I have to finish my paper first.

Last edited by retardedmonkey; March 25th, 2009 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, these are some nice figure studies. Your gesture and weight distribution looks good.

But two of them have been blocked by photobucket. I used to have that problem, so I started uploading on Deviant Art and/or Mediafire. Neither of those places have restrictions.

Devon and I missed you during another Mullins study last night. Maybe next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, unfortunately my laptop died, so its getting repaired. So I won't be able to practice much painting as the one I'm on now is super slow. So it will be mostly traditional stuff for now

The head is a collaborative piece that me and some friends are doing. I tried to use charcoal to render it, but I messed up alot in my technique. So I am not extremely happy with how it turned out. I'm going to practice using charcoal some more though, as I did learn alot from this one. I'll also post up the final image when its all done.

The picture looks pretty odd on my big monitor, because of this old laptop. So if it looks real bad on your screens let me know so I can fix it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few more sketchbook pages.

This is what I think about in liberal arts classes...grrr...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, I like the direction you were going with that hooded face. All of the faint contour lines for decoration. Reminds me of... oh, no. There was an amazing pen artist with similar contour decorations on deviantart called Lewandowski, but they were banned permanently. Judging from the comments, it looks like someone hacked her account and started calling people names and swearing at them. It's a shame... she was amazing.

But anyway, moving on. Crazy charcoal collab. It's a rewarding medium, no?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping in Jason, I really appreciate it! Charcoal is actually pretty fun. I thought I was going to hate doing that project, but I liked it. When I get some freetime I might follow in your footsteps and do some big charcoal drawings. The faint contour lines you talked about, started when I was really tired in class and just did that... I thought it looked cool. I would love to see the artist you're talking about, let me know the name comes back to you.

I'm going to get the final collab from my friend tonight then I'll get it up here.

I took a break today and scanned in a bunch of stuff from my latest sketchbooks. The oldest one is one from christmas/winter break, so I'll start with that one.

Hopefully its not bad to make such huge dumps of stuff. Aside from the first pages, I am trying to figure out the proportions of the head, so they don't look so wierd. There's alot of fails in here. But yeah I would love any helpful critiques and suggestions, as always

Last edited by retardedmonkey; April 4th, 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another bunch of scans

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaand one more...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've decided I want to do some more rendering practice....not in these pictures but in real life as I am posting these pictures.

If these are to big, let me know and I scale them down from now on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No no man, they're a good size. I particularly like the pages with the marker strokes for accent. It adds a nice graphic design motif and interest to the pages. Reminds me of my older days on oekaki boards with design artists, where not everything was a strait up painting or drawing... let's see if I have some links to some of those guys... Kohoyin and Julia. All that Ko stuff is old, but you can kind of see what I mean. Julia went pro and is amazing, as you can see.
    Anyway, the girl who drew in pen that I mentioned was Lewandowski. I never forgot her name, it's just that her account was canceled.
    See you around!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waaw stuff looks great , like the drawings , and the core shadow , i notice that on the portraits , you don't use the same intensity in planes in shadows as you use in the pose sketches , why is that ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason, thanks for those links, some cool stuff on there

Giorge, thanks alot for stopping in! I think the best explanation is that, I am currently still afraid of value. I am trying to break this fear of values by using them more. So my more recent stuff is more render type stuff instead of the quick studies I had been doing. Alot of them the value was just done to indicate really quickly instead of accurately indicate the values. Hopefully once I get to more recent stuff I'll be doing what you're suggesting!

Here is the collaboration piece with the other drawings next to it. The other drawings are my buddies here at school, so the credit goes to all them for those

And then some more sketches! I messed up alot as far as rendering goes on the pen drawings...but still...crits as usual please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blah blah blah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last one for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really interesting sketch work in here, Mike. I dig the still life lighters a lot, and those couple triangular builds in one of the earlier pages. Reminds me of Mattias Adolfsson. Also, the charcoal stuff came out great. Nice to see everything in context.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mattias Adolfsson's stuff is great! I quite like his style, new bookmark!

I've got some more sketches...I'm getting excited for summer when I have time to do some more finalized work. And I want to work right now but I am sickly and don't have the energy.

Anyway here is some more. I think the sketchbook is done more heavily from my head...so that's why alot of the poses and stuff are off. I'm trying

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

25. The Following User Says Thank You to retardedmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll just finish up my moleskine actually...Yay for lots of mediocre artwork. I'll catch up guys I swear

Comments and Crits more than welcomed on all of these!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some landscapes i did when i went home...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started to get the hang of it with these ones...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to retardedmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

31. The Following User Says Thank You to retardedmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i'm really diggin these sketches! landscapes
    look great man! moar!! :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those severed head pieces are pretty mind blowing nice work.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1