Not bad at all dude

Great sketchbook!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I happen to love this stuff.

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook monkey!!
    Incredible progress in here, it's damn inspiring!!
    Nice work on the studies, you're clearly well skilled in traditional media (pen + pencil) especially the pencil-work in these recent studies!
    Awesome digital studies too!
    I'll make sure to pop in here more often!!!
    Keep up the great work!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've come a long way since you started this sketchbook. Especially the figure studies are looking good. Went through your portfolio as well and I gotta say that those 3d models are absolutely gorgeous. Will be back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahaha. hahahahahahahaha! hahaha!

I can't believe how much you've improved since I left. Wow, dude! Your skills are so much stronger! Amazing progress, man. Really proud that you've stuck with it like this. Very inspirational. I've just gotten my things together here in Portland, so I'm just painting again too now...

See you around!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep at it, you are progressing well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good sketchbook!

My Sketchb00k regular updates
    -= i am looking for work =-
    DeviantArt . CGhub gallery . www.artofinca.com . Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waddup Mike, you talent bastard!! I luv all your studies and sketches, you have such a great touch with the pencil, i can see you mastering the pencil like wes burt in a year or two the way your going (i mean i think it's the already)! Dood your progress in digital painting is freaking siick, can't believe it but those studies of Jouey's speedies are great and glad to see you mucking around and kicking arse in digital!!

Sorry no useful crits here cuz i'm still starstruck with your quality =)

Do you use a mechanical pencil when you hatch?

LIVESTREAM PLAYAZ!
    Hala
    Mr. Spect
    Walid
    JailHouseRock2
    Dwardo
    Snootchy

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeff V - Thanks!

malaise88 - Thanks man, its good to hear that I'm getting better with them. Figures and proportions are something I've been struggling with for quite a while now.

MacTire - Thanks for stopping in man! Really appreciation the encouragement too

Placeboast - Thanks!! I just got a contract last night that will result in some new 3d stuff.

Jason - Great to have you back dude! It's really great to hear you're settled in and reeady to paint! Let me know when you wanna do some paintings again, always up for it! Thanks for the motivation too

Mike - Thanks dude!! I wish I was wes burts level, his stuff is great. I owe you for linking me to joueys site as that study I did of his piece is what made alot of things click for me, as far as digital painting goes.

As far as what I use for pencil...I just have a box of ticonderoga pencils that I use. I used to use mechanical pencils only, but now I'm back to using only regular pencils for everything.

drd,Samuel Gray, omegaman20,Artofinca - THanks guys!!

Once again I really appreciate all the comments, its a huge motivation to keep on going. It gets hard cuz its normally only me tearing my stuff apart and being way to critical

Anyway I've got a large amount of stuff to post...alot of sketches from the past week or two, and a few paintings I did for practice. I have a few digital ones but their on the other computer so I'll hold off on those.

I just got a contract with some friends to make a level for the unreal comp all pretty....so I'll be working on that hardcore in between visiting relatives and 2d stuff. So yeah not as much work as normal in the next few weeks unfortunately.

Enough words, here's the art! Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures. The scanner keeps cutting out my lighter marks so I have to cut down the blacks in order to get the greys up high enough to see anything...eh I'll figure it out next batch of sketches

(I'm gonna split these up...to much in one post)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Next batch

Once I'm done with this new contract I'm gonna really get to work on my traditional painting. I really enjoy it, I just have so freaking much to learn...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaand some sketches for the Game artist comp I concepted for

Perspectives really been kicking my butt lately...and these should have been easy!! GRRR!!

Last edited by retardedmonkey; August 6th, 2009 at 12:40 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to retardedmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had to scrap the above idea for a wall mounted ammo dispenser. Which actually forgot to say that the above design was going to be a mobile dispenser. It would zip around when it heard the soldier signal for ammo, and then would zip off to the next person once the guy was reloaded.

Started off with some really quick 2 minute sketches...and moved on from there

And the final design...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retardedmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WTF man! u just unleashing the fury on my eyes, luv the updates!! man I never knew that you did such kick ass vehicle/ID designs, nice job all around and I can't wait to see you rip it on the canvas with them buttery paints!!

thanks again for the help in SB!

TEAM Chönyid bardo!

LIVESTREAM PLAYAZ!
    Hala
    Mr. Spect
    Walid
    JailHouseRock2
    Dwardo
    Snootchy
    aardvarkphil
    jackpot anjr90

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Duuuuude. I kept thinking of comments to make as I scrolled down, but the original comments were getting overruled by comments for the later images... so I dunno what to say except, Nice dude! Haha. But really... nice feet, and the technical drawings at the end are killer. It's good for me to see these develop, cause mechanical stuff is tough for me.

Hopefully we can paint together soon! I'll try to remember to get on MSN again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doood where's our monster update mang?! hit us up with the goodness!!

TEAM Chönyid bardo!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this is such a cool sketchbook! So much improvement since the beginning. I love how varied it is, too. There are so many great figure studies, animals, crazy concept art, everything. Keep it up!

Here's my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike, I wish I had more to show Been really busy with this new contract, and on top of that work we have guests at our house for 2 weeks. So all my normal free time I've been hanging with them. So unfortunately not much work of my own stuff.

However luckily I've been able to do some paintings for the project...even though they're pretty lame. I feel like I'm starting to make progress with lighting and painting in general. Keep in mind these ones are pretty quick as I can't render them out or detail them too much due to time limits.

So here's the stuff I gots, some texture work too! Oh and the master copy I'm trying my best to copy it exactly but its really difficult. I'm learning tons from it so far tho, got about 10-12 hours in so far. Once I get time I'm back on this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    umm...wow you had me at hello!! hehe dood these rock soo much, i really love the loose gestural quality of ur brush strokes and the lighting you've captured in the enviro's is done really well! can't wait till this project unfolds to a finish, keep up the hard work mikey!!

favorite 2 out of ur last batch, one (great skin tones and lighting) and two (great depth, scale and lighting)

TEAM Chönyid bardo!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Impressive progress! Works at this (10) page just great. Especially pencil sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just from the top of the page the improvement is visible, these last few posts are showing real class, the enviros especially have a great game play style to them (mirrors edge + halo I think can't be bad).

cheerio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your sketches and the way you shade them, feel free to drop by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot for the support guys

Mike, Arden, Icecold - Thanks guys!

young paddy1 - Thanks for stopping in! I actually used both of those games as inspiration for those enviros Glad to see they showed through!

Alrighty I've been super busy with that project lately, however it is now over and I will proceed on my way to learning this painting and drawing stuff! Thing is I've changed my mind again, I am now going to be working my butt off to develop a portfolio that will get me into a game studio position. From there I will pay off my school loans and learn while I'm there. Once I'm free of debt and have some money saved up I want to get into an atelier or somewhere like art center....but honestly the conceptart atelier or one in florence are looking extremely tasty.

I just really don't want to be under the weight of debt right now. I just see it rushing me into things and really missing out on enjoying art. I want to keep this relaxing environment, where I don't NEED to do anything right away. If I don't pay off the loan I would HAVE to be in school by march in order for my loans not to go active again, and that would result in more debt. Paying it off just seems to be a much free...er route, where I can choose what I wanna do without something looming over me. Then I can learn where I want, from who I want and specifically what I want.

I'm not all too concerned with a degree as much as I am with just learning the skills and learning them good. Honestly I'm tired of fumbling around on my own trying to make progress when most of the time I haven't got a clue what the heck I'm doing, or supposed to be doing. So I want to get this loan gone and move onto learning and learning

So! The plan is to follow through projects 100% on my own. I want to start off by designing the env, vehicle, character...w/e and follow it through to putting it into an engine. The hope is that the concept stages will help me develop my design skills as well as traditional skills, and the modelling-engine work will prepare a nice body of work for applying to a studio with. If all goes well this sketchbook might actually get interesting for once

The first project I was tossing around with using is the env for the world I thought out for my art center portoflio. I'm thinking now that I'll use that world as a basis for all of these projects. And hopefully as I continue on the world will become more and more complete.

The first section I was going to do was the town center of one of the human cities. I'll go into the actual story for the world in another post...I think I've rambled too much as it is, and I'd be greatly suprised if anyone made it down to here! Anyway the following sketches are my poor attempts at sketching from imagination only Next step is to develop it a little more and then move onto quicker paintings then to a few final pieces...then to the modeling.

Sorry for rambling! Any thoughts on my plans for life would be much appreciated...and on the art too

Quick Sketches for the main building....

A bit more refined sketches for the main building. I need practice with perspective, especially inside...

Here are some of the other things I've been doing...a few sketches and some movie studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right! So here are a few portraits from yesterday. I'm trying to focus on values and rendering right now...and of course working with the pencil. I'm trying out a looser way of rendering, and I kind of like how it looks....when I do it right. It probably gonna be fairly easy to see which ones are my warm up attempts....but I'm going to be doing 2-3 of these a day from now on so it should only get better

Here's the first batch! Stupid scans always rape my sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tons of nice sketches, like your pen landscapes! keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that's a bunch of really cool sketches in here! Lot's of fun to look at, keep it up!

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping in guys! As always the support is really appreciated!

llexpaul, I hear ya on the more ordered line work. I need to figure out how to place lines and vary line weight so that they are more useful. I'm trying to focus on stuff like that with these portraits, so any other suggestions would be awesome

Two more portraits from yesterday...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff man, really love the sketches & studies it would be nice to see some more rendered stuff

DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work , like the environment sketches , the charter portraits might need more study , take care

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1