EOW#72 The Cathedral Of Lilith Poll vote PLease

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: EOW#72 The Cathedral Of Lilith POLL

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • SupialOctopod

3 3.41%
  • JFWalls

3 3.41%
  • JRead

7 7.95%
  • Shardana

2 2.27%
  • Corrick

16 18.18%
  • Guillemhp

12 13.64%
  • Deadred

2 2.27%
  • BrandonHerring

0 0%
  • Catkin

0 0%
  • IWantJelly

1 1.14%
  • Ryan Demitta

7 7.95%
  • Lynus

0 0%
  • Timothee

0 0%
  • DavidHerd

3 3.41%
  • Rayk

25 28.41%
  • PutridusCor

7 7.95%
    Thanks

EOW#72 The Cathedral Of Lilith Poll vote PLease

EOW#72 The Cathedral Of Lilith

The winner of the EOW# 71city of artists was Jread, although nightblues was a valiant effort in the face of a topic that seems to have scared the crude out of everyone

For this Challenge we Had 23 images started, 16 going to poll. 7WIPS Several first time entries, several returning past winners. Great round

1 person did not outside host their image It was a new person, so in my utmost benenvolence I will host it. Don’t let it happen again or I will not include your image in the poll.

New Round IS ON!
    EOW#73 Sculpture gardedn On the Island of the Absurd

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...60#post1556660

supialoctpod

The apples are tempting, but don't be lured into Lilith's house of worship.

JFWalls

Every desire may be had behind the ancient and grotesque entrance to Lilith's temple.

Jread

FINAL

Oh wise and divine Lilith, we ask that you entice us once more with the apple of temptation...for we are ready to sin!

Shardana

"thousands and thousands where sacrificed that day..i could smell the stink of blood from miles"

Corrick

"... Henderson had already been restrained, the man bound and confined to his tent. He was an even-tempered soul yesterday, but after what occurred during the night – the fire, and that ghost of a woman – he's been raving on and on. Charlie had to be stitched up from what Henderson had done, an awful mess... In search of some means of escaping this desolation, I took Bradley with me over the next ridge, whereupon both of us were impeded by a ghastly sight which will never be written. I can only hope when I meet the Lord on the Day of Judgement, He will forgive us for what we dared to see."

Journal entry, May 4th, 1837

Guillemhp

Possibly the only place in hell where you could expect to spend a well deserved weekend of fun, the Catheral of Lilith offers lust, meat and cheap pleasure to the ever growing hordes of condemned souls. No sinner should avoid visiting Mrs. Lilith’s place as soon as they get there!

Deadred

Sunken for thousands of years with the rest of the continent of Atlantis, the imposing ancient Cathedral lays dormant, emanating primordial power. Any living thing that happened to pass by is somehow attracted to it, like a moth to a flame, and the longer they stay there, the more they are somehow changed.

BrandonHerring

"Surely I had reached the ends of the Earth; it was here the Cathedral of Lilith stood. I knelt and began to pray, but my prayers would fall on deaf ears...For there is no God in this place..."

Catkin

"Legend has it that every thousand years, the Cathedral of Lilith rises from the depths of hell and stands or a night in the world of man. Many times have simple mortals tried to get there, craving for dark powers... but not one is known to have ever come out again."

IwantJelly

"Deep in the most God Forsaken place of Mesopotamia stood the cathedral of Lilith from which came forth her messengers, countless birds pouring out of the mountain depths to deliver the goddess words to the many temples devoted to her cult."
    (hope my english is correct...)

RyanDemitta

After being cast away, Lilith sided with evil... It is said that her spirit can be seen in the ominous clouds above her dark cathedral.

Lynus
    [IMG][/IMG]

description: the cathedral was pure evil, a living entity trapping the demoness lilith from ever escaping to the outside world. Outside, you can sometimes hear her cries for freedom, and it can almost make a soul feel sorry for her.

Timothee

DavidHerd

"At the centre of that vast, sprawling and mad labyrinth grew the tree. It's tendrils penetrated far and wide spreading the oppressive sensation into every crevice of the ancient stonework. From the root heart of the tree there emanated an unhealthy glow that I had also observed out the side of my eye in some of the farthest and most inaccessible windows and although my heart was drawn to that central courtyard my head told me that to go there would be folly. I had to move swiftly onwards, there was the pressing issue of the missing children . . . "

Rayk

"Astonishing, our expedition has finally reached the "Cathedral of Lilith". Legends that natives have told turned out to be true, a monolithic structure stands amongst the jungle reached beyond the sky - something that only a super natural force could accomplish. We have set up camp nearby to explore, however our native guides have gone missing last night, shortly after w... "

PutridusCor

"In a desolate place on Earth, there is the Catedral of Lilith,
    Built by her children, and in glory and honor for the first woman, the stronger of all, that was unfairly punished
    This Cathedral was built on the tree where Lilith built her first home.
    During some seasons of the year some special rituals are performed in the cathedral, and, if there is true faith and power in the worshipers, she appears among yellow flames and grants gifts and spells according to the necessities of her followers."

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I abstain from voting.. 'tis too close for me to make a decision!

Thanks
    Supialoctopod: Nice image. My main crit would be that the cathedral doesn't look very menacing, and the perspective on the building right behind it seems a bit off.

Jread: Great angle, and I love the tree and the window. I think the only thing it's really lacking is a nice sense of depth and weight.

Shardana: Nice image. I like the giant vines and the shape of the building. I think a lower perspective that had some of the people in the foreground could give it a better sense of scale though.

Corrick: Fantastic image. I love the lighting around the church and on the river. There's something off about that serpent in the front though, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Cool story too.

Guillemhp: Very nice image, but to be honest it almost looks like you just painted over a photo. If you didn't, then great job! If you did, then shame on you.

Deadred: I like the premise in your story, but you should push the image more. If this is underwater there would be more darks. Get some contrast and depth in there and you've got a great piece.

BrandonHerring: It looks cool, but I need some binoculars to see it. Bigger image, more exciting perspective, and less empty area would make this a great picture.

Catkin: I really like the ideas you've presented here. Tighten up your architecture with cleaner straighter edges, and work on the lighting and volume of your shapes.

IwantJelly: I like the approach you've taken on yours. It has a very fairy tale feel to it. Almost like a children's book illustration. A little more defined lighting source/s would really beef it up I think.

RyanDemitta: Pure crap...lol, just kidding. Great colors, texture, and mood, but just a little light on cathedral. Other than that it's a great pic.

Lynus:
    The brushstrokes are a little too unsure, but if you tightened it up some and got some more dramatic lighting in there you'd be doing great.

Timothee: Overall kind of static. Push your perspective, lighting, details, or texture to really make the image pop. Right now there's not a lot going on, and it leaves me wanting more. I like the thorny columns and busts though.

DavidHerd: I like the description a lot. There seems to be 2 separate images here though. There's the church in the foreground, and the tree in the mid/background. Both seem to have a different perspective. If you fixed this, and got a little more depth in there you'd have a great pic.

Rayk: I'm jealous because you got the image I was originally trying for. I did like 5 or 6 sketches and speedpaints trying to nail the feeling you've captured. I'd love to really see this polished up with some detail. You got my vote.

PutridusCor: I liked this one a lot too. The shape of the building is very cool. Like a lot of the others some more depth and focused lighting would really kick it up a notch.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfwalls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    In my lunch hour so gotta be a quickish crit...(apologies for any bad spelling/grammer!)

Supialoctopod: nice piece, with a great use of colour, but a bit too friendly for the topic.

Jfwalls: I have always been a big Giger fan, but felt that this was a little too Giger, I think a different perspective (less symmetrical) could help this, but a very nice image either way.

Shardana: I was looking foward to seeing this finished and you didnt disappoint, an intimidating building but nothing that says Lilith to me.

Corrick: As usual a beautiful cinematic execution (im becoming quite a fan!), but a bit more focus on the cathedral itself would have gained my vote. May I ask how long you spend on your work? Because your work always looks so effortless and natural, and I will be very jealous if you say it doesnt take long! Also, do you use movie-stills for reference often?

Guillemhp: I feel the curtains at the bottom throw the scale a bit, and make it feel a lot smaller than it should be, but a very strong, clean, striking image, although I find it a little un-personal for a reason I cant explain, maybe it lacks imperfection!

Deadred: An original approach, but maybe some more obvious aquatic content (e.g. Seaweed, sea life) surrounding the cathedral would give a stronger 'under the sea' feel.

BrandonHerring: As others have said, some further content would really enhance this piece, I love the 'drunken view' effect given by the red lighting.

Catkin: A very fun image, reminiscent of a Dreamworks or Pixar style film, which is not a bad thing! But maybe more Satan than Lilith?

IwantJelly: I think a darker environment would have framed your cathedral better, but it reminds me of a warhammer scenery model, which is pretty cool! The perspective adjustment you made really paid off btw.

RyanDemitta: Another person who's style I am jealous of! Some real nice eye candy, the cloud-woman image is a nice touch, and very subtle...it took me ages to notice it!

Lynus: An interesting piece with some very cool architecture. I dig B&W images but think some colour would have best suited this corridor.

Timothee: A cool throne room, but maybe a bit nondescript for the brief, the cool blues and warm reds mix nicely, and I like the detail on the carpet...wouldnt mind that in my own house

DavidHerd: You got my vote. Although the perspective was a little off I thought yours had the most original (but on target) content, something I dont think enough people have paid attention to.

Rayk: Im also jealous of your style, that 'painterly' feel from photoshop that many of use strive to achieve, and although it is a fantastic piece of art (and the most confident here), i feel it was the furthest from the brief. It struck me as a 'lost city' in the jungle, the prettiest lost city mind you but far from a cathedral of lilith.

PutridusCor: A cool concept that gives me the sense of classic fantasy poster, not sure why, maybe the colours. The perspective seems a little off on the entrance, but only a minor gripe, otherwise great work.

well done all, fantastic entries all round! i hope it stays this busy on EoW!

Last edited by jread; December 5th, 2007 at 08:52 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls View Post
    DavidHerd: I like the description a lot. There seems to be 2 separate images here though. There's the church in the foreground, and the tree in the mid/background. Both seem to have a different perspective. If you fixed this, and got a little more depth in there you'd have a great pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jread View Post
    DavidHerd:You got my vote. Although the perspective was a little off I thought yours had the most original (but on target) content, something I dont think enough people have paid attention to.
    Many thanks for the useful feedback, you are both dead right about the perspective although I did use a grid, at some points it got a bit out of hand and in my rush to finish I did not spend enought time correcting it. A lesson learned I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. Thank you.

Corrick got my vote because it was just so damn atmospheric and the architectural work was spot on - I think he addressed the brief pretty well myself.

Last edited by davidherd; December 5th, 2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Quotes mixed up - duh!

Thanks
    lol, think you got our quotes mixed up davidherd

Thanks
    Duh! Fixed . . . thank you.

Thanks
    It was a coin toss between Superoctoid's piece and that of Rayk's. I went with Rayk's because i liked the back story, and the really cool angle of the cathedral.
    Jread- thanks! I know the piece seemed a little vague, but I wanted to show the cathedral as shrine to seductive women. I'll spend more time on research next time around.

Thanks
    jread, jfwalls, thanks for the crits guys, yeah my piece was a muddy rush job, good calls,
    and my vote goes tooooo.......rayk, great job brotha! it had a kind of indiana jones temple of doom type of feel,

Thanks
    These rounds keep getting better and better.

v - Corrick

It reminds me of the setting of Macbeth, which I'm currently reading. Phenomenal image from you.

Runner up: RyanDemitta

Website

Facebook

DeviantArt

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    wow, this is really hard to choose! I couldn't finish my drawing, but I do want to comment on everybody's wonderful works. I'll also try to give some constructional criticism to each one.

supialoctpod: great lighting and mood. I love the mysterious misty look. The trees on the foreground looks a bit too trimmed.

JFWalls: very stunningly beautiful design, intricate and nicely rendered. My only bone to pick would be this looks more like a 2D motif than an environment. Maybe push the stairs a bit more?

jread: beautifully done stain glass and the light filtering through it. The tree's style looks a little different from the rest of the image though.

Shardana: beautiful and intricate lines and shapes. Could use a bit more symbolism.

Corrick: Really nice piece, I love it. The painting has a very clear focus with the warm/cool contrast, and the silhouette of the temple is breathtaking. One thing the painting could probably benefit from is a secondary light source to define the foreground a bit more. The airy feeling of the light is delicious.

Guillemhp: beautifully rendered, very clean and crisp. Neo light spelling out the diety's name is an interesting take on the subject. The painting would really pop with more subtle colors in the black/white structure.

Deadred: The painting feels dream-like, very nicely layered shapes and values. The monochromatic color theme works, but I still think it would benefit from more subtly different hues.

BrandonHerring: cool building design. Wish the image were larger.

Catkin: beautiful colors and shapes. The reflection of the flame from below came out really well. Perspective is a bit off.

IwantJelly: Nicely done colors, and I love the intricate design of the cathedral. Only thing is the cathedral and birds/bats look like something from night or twilight, yet the rest of the image is bright and lively. If you are going for the contrast, maybe having a shadow cast on the cathedral could help.

RyanDemitta: love the painting. It's so simple, effortless, yet with great sense of space and movement. The color is fantastic. The only thing I can think of is there isn't much symbolism saying "lilith". The structure looks more like a dragon than a snake.

Lynus: the perspective is nice, and the interior sculptures are beautiful. One thing that could give the painting more depth would be more detail on the foreground. Right now it seems you paid almost equal attention to the foreground and background.

Timothee: beautiful warm/cool contrast. Focusing on the throne is a nice touch. The arch around the throne could come slightly more into focus.

DavidHerd: the design of the cathedral is quite beautiful. The painting is a bit too dark though, and a little more contrast would really pop all the details you put in.

Rayk: beautiful rainy feeling. It's very moody, simple, clean but to the point. I really want to see the painting with just a little more detail, but I cannot find anything to criticize.

PutridusCor: I love the solid, 3d feeling of your building and sculpture. The design is very unique. I kept wanting the mysterious red sun to cast the shadow of the cliff on the cathedral.

==========

This is such a tough call between Corrick, RyanDemitta, and Rayk. My final vote goes to RyanDemitta because of my personal preference on style and colors. Gread job! Very impressive round.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If I were a client giving you a brief. 5 of these have nothing to do with Lilith, visually. you are supposed to be Concept artists, therefore a crucial part of your concept should not be in the description. I would have eliminated those 5 on first glance. this includes the piece that is currently winning the poll. While it is eyecandy and a lovely piece of art work, it bears no relation to the brief. The current challenge is challenging enough. i will stay my flexible and accepting self. But I am apprenticing my self to Sir Oregano and Sir Fozzybar. and the standards are about to go up. YOu all can do it YOu know that your image making skills are totally top notch. Now we just need to work on those idea-making and visuallization skillz?

YOu with me?
    ChaosRocks!

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Voted for jread. Great concept and attention to the myth (with some interesting adjustments and additions), nothing wrong with the depth in my opinion, and the stained glass window, while gruesome, is certainly well done.

Others have critiqued enough I think so I won't add to the length of the thread with more opinions, but there were many, many outstanding pieces this time. I do have to agree with Chaos though, the brief was specific. I'm sure I skirted the edges of expulsion with this one. When you're working for someone else, it matters.

Great round, everyone, look forward to the same turnout in the Sculpture Garden!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Corrick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had to go with PutridusCor. Although it wasn't the best rendered, the building design really integrated the demonic aspect of what Lillith was/is. Where as some of the other entries were better rendered, they could easliy have been submitted as the temple of any other god...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JCole76 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    jread, it depends on how patient I am and how quick I can realize what's in my head on the screen. Usually three or four hours to get down the base, then another few hours just screwing around with it. I don't actually look at movie stills, but I frame everything I do as if it were on film. My canvas always starts at an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, or 16 x 6.8, and I crop from there if necessary.

Thanks for the comments and crits!

Thanks
    jfwalls, jread, nightblue and jcole76 (three "J"? anyway.. xD) thank you for your kind comments and useful advices, they are very well received
    I have to apologize about some smoothness in the picture, I don't know how and when that happened, and I realized when the poll was already open, I will be more careful next time (this will not fix the lights, I know )

I voted for jread, I think he was the best in both sticking to the topic and in his ability to make his artwork. Almost all the other works are awesome too, but many of them make me wonder: where is Lilith?

Members who have read this thread: 2