Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IDW #52: Undead Carriage

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #52: Undead Carriage

Topic: Undead Carriage

Background: I thought it'd be good to do something with the realms of fantasy as well in IDW, as the focus is often more on the futuristic side of things.

Basically, the topic is to design a carriage of the undead. What they do with it or what they use it for -piling up fresh corpses to move them, a carriage for necromancers, a cage for victims or even a skull catapult- is up to you, as long is it's is clear we're dealing with undead and not with the purple-green fearies of the Magic Forest next door

Drawing beasts that pull or push the wagon, as well as the occasional skelleton or necromancer is totally optional. However, it must be clear how the carriage is actually moved even without them. Steam power or just plain old magic is an option for this as well of course.

Brief:
    1. Draw and design an Undead Carriage.
    2. Choose what the Undead actually would use it for and make that clear.
    3. That's it...

Deadline: Wednesday December 12 2007

Last edited by yoitisi; December 5th, 2007 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Nooo... just when i thought we would design something cool, futuristic vehicle or stuff.. this fantasy, fairy, undead task comes in... im not interested in those kind of old things at all.. oh well... i hope there would be something cooler later..
    Interesting to see what you guys will come up with..

"Life is just a short period of time between birth and death..." -Me
    "As long as it looks good, Does it have to make Sense?" -SPEARdesign
    Gallery http://dekus.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/YTDekus
    Carbonmade http://dekus.carbonmade.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have two words to describe this weeks idw. Awe- some, can't wait to get cracking on this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we can't always choose what type of job we have conceptualize. Why don't you make it a futuristic undead carriage? Piece of cake. The topic is awesome.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool topic, let the sketching begin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is a large battle chariot fair game? *thumbnails it anyway*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic

Sword & Sorcery is an awesome choice for a dinosaur like me who is a big fan of Frazetta hehehe

"As you think, so shall you become."

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dekus dont be to disapointed, theres no reason why you still can't make this very sci-fi or futuristic, or even very steampunk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dekus: In my experience there are no 'bad' topics, just topics that are more fun than others. What's more, sometimes the ones you thought would be totally boring will be the most fun once you start on them. Anyway, you can always wait for the next IDW I suppose.

Legato: A chariot would be somewhere on the border of what this topic is and is not about I think, but if you manage to pull it off go ahead

One more thing everyone, as I've heard some people suggest to make a futuristic version of the carriage. I must say that since I didn't actually forbid this, yes you can make a futuristic Undead Carriage. However, I did state that we're talking fantasy instead of Futuristic stuff this time so I don't really see the point of doing it this way.

Think of it as a job given to you by a client, would he/she really expect you to come up with a futuristic wagon as everything in the topic points to fantasy? I ran into a similar problem once in COW, where the topic was 'heart harvester'. The one argument that killed my entry was like: yeah, if your client wants you to draw a heart harvester, he doesn't mean a vegetarian eh?

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actualy dekus ill take that back , maybe a future or sc-fi carriage isn't actualy the way to go lol, but still as yoitisi said fantasy can be fun also, just got to put the right mind set to it, thats all.

Yoitisi how do you actualy want this presented, as a more traditional technical plan, side view, top view, etc..., or a more 3d look as if it was a concept for an illustration, ingame shot or movie, with background. Or doesn't it realy matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by grenogs View Post
    actualy dekus ill take that back , maybe a future or sc-fi carriage isn't actualy the way to go lol, but still as yoitisi said fantasy can be fun also, just got to put the right mind set to it, thats all.
    Yeah yeah guys.. i get it... xD I guess i just over reacted since its the first time im joining this kind of stuff...
    Ill do something..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grenogs: There's no specific view/perspective I ask of you this time, although as I said in earlier rounds some views are better than others in a general way. Perspective drawings like 3/4 front view or something give generally more information about your design than a sideview.

Dekus: Good, that was our point

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip

ok, so just a quick idea so far, and some background information. Basicly this is Cinderellas carriage. So everyone knows the story of Cinderella, with the carriage, the ball, and prince and that everyone lives happily ever after. But i think the ending was actually changed in order to have the happy ended, i think it should actualy have been more this way: when Cindarella left the ball she was already late, there is no way she would have got home in time before her carriage turned back to a pumping. Actualy she was so late that in fact her carriage changed back soon after she left the ball, whilst the carriage would have been going at high speed. Which would have killed her instantly. So now Cindarella, because she was not ready to die and still had much things in her life she wanted, she still is searching for her prince amongst the living. Only real difference now however is that after midnight she must return to her natural state where she belongs, amongst her own kind, the undead.
    The End

Still not sure how to carry on with this yet though, should it be all bone or should i go more towards rotting flesh? any ideas?

Last edited by grenogs; December 5th, 2007 at 05:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice idea, on your last point, it might be fun to keep the carriage as a fruit or vegetable, maybe a really creepy, poisonous thing (you'd be able to find some fun references. As for building it out of bones, maybe you could find some bones that would naturally make that shape, a huge round skull, an array of ribs...

great background story!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nutkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks nutkin, i think you could be right there, i also thought maybe i could even have the carriage as a rotting pumpkin, or as you mentioned another creepy poisonous plant thing but with its own bones and everything showing as if it were once a life of its own. Also this may help me with the wheels, i wasnt quite sure how to do them, and i wanted to build them with more than just bones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by grenogs View Post
    Cinderella...Still not sure how to carry on with this yet though, should it be all bone or should i go more towards rotting flesh? any ideas?
    This combination made me laugh out loud I like the background story already. I think the rotting pumping would be cool, maybe you can check other fairytale cliches and give them a twist (like what is connected with 'evil' in those stories..bramblebushes, stuff like that).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks yoitisi, but i realy wish you hadn't, now i'm going to have to finish this one, lol. I think im going to go for a more animated or stylized approach on this one, similer to the corpse bride or even the Undead game that was out on the ps a few years ago. I dont think a realistic fantasy approach would give it justice. I like your idea about giving other fairy tales a similer twist, though the evil approach may be a little easy concidering most fairy tales are already based around some kind of evil or bad omen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

So heres my sketches.. the big one can somehow be named as a rendering.. but the paper ended.. xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gonna sit this one out I'm afraid but I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with. And Yoitisi, I'm guessing you got COW-influenced on the topic eh?

Oh and I love the direction you took with it Grenogs. Don't be afraid to bring some realism to the design though, if you'd like to. Should limit yourself to stylized or anime looks just due to the subject matter. Just because someone happens to think that bones make bad choices for automotive construction doesn't mean they're right. It's all subjective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's fun as hell gregnogs, definitely think that's a keeper concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP

This is not for you.

FBRCCN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my.

Danuh is offline best taken with a pillar of salt. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hallo~
    AMAZING colorwork so far. I have a feeling that'll look pretty hardcore once finished.
    Wish I had more time in the week to dedicate to this challenge. I might only be able to get a WIP done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well heres mine so far it needs a lot of work and im kind of stuck so im hopeing for lots of feed back and helpfull comments.

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crazy topic!! must find the time to draw something

Dekus: I like the drawing in the right center of the image :thumbsup:

Hallo: total awesomness!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these rendering is very old, but it should show you the direction i am going. the current version is knee deep in background etc, but i've been looking at it so long i can't tell if its crap, or good enough to post... so i won't X_X

so yes, to restate, this is before drop shadows, highlights, placement, scale, etc

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/legato/I...tW052-WIP1.jpg

*edit* sorry its super huge... i've taken out the image because im too lazy to resize and put up, but it's now a link!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arbu: Thanks!... finally i got at least some kind of comment.. Maybe ill do that one or one that i havent showed yet..

Legato: interesting.. looks almost 3d!.... but it reminds me of a tank more..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dekus: Yep, the middle-right one looks best to me too, as it is more a carriage than the car on the left Be careful not to put too much time in the creature up front but try to keep the focus on the carriage itself as we're here in the IDW thread

hallo: Looks pretty cool already. The foreground might be a bit darker compared to the background and carriage, but as this version is not yet finished you probably already knew that

Demo: Lots to say here as it isn't finished yet, but I think the most important point is the perspective. Right now it actually doesn't really have any, as I see the side and back without a real vanishing point. Eye-height perspective is cool for a carriage like this, but it means you've got a horizon at eye height with two vanishing points to the left and to the right of the carriage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok i started a new sketch to work on the perspective. i dont think ill get this finished by the deadline but id like to have a good sketch of what im going for.

i think the window in the front is off a little bit and im not sure about the background yet.

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    ok i started a new sketch to work on the perspective. i dont think ill get this finished by the deadline but id like to have a good sketch of what im going for.

i think the window in the front is off a little bit and im not sure about the background yet.
    for future projects, it might be beneficial to spend a day getting used to google sketchup and trying your hand at block modeling, or draw in a perspective grid and go from there... i find that if you start traditionally its easier to do a perspective grid, than if you start digitally, but thats just me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.