Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I agree with all crits. More detailed response later, it is as usual 2 am when I update so bed time for me.

Name:  ms2_sample27.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  462.4 KB

Name:  ms2_sample28.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  436.2 KB

Name:  ms2_sample29.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  380.2 KB

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice studies so far man. I suggest the following: try filling up the pages of the SB more, don't do a drawing a page, try putting several in one. Try to focus on shading with masses instead of lines. keep it up!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    GriNGo - Hey man. I know what you mean. I usually intend to fill each page with sketch and run out of time or lose the pic I'm sketching from. I'd love to have the speed and creativity to have a bunch of good stuff on a page. Like.... is it Max? who has the "Red Ink Sketchbook" the variety on those pages. Jealous.

Gyzmotnik - Always great to see more Irish CA'ers. You have a good SB on the move now, you should be able to catch up quick.

JailHouseRock2 - I don't like to overthink stuff in my SB.... it's kind of like where I can learn to get my proportions looser and down more rapidly. I should stick up more of my strict, final attempts but I like to use CA as a repository for sketches. Nothing here takes more than a few minutes... so measuring would be the only thing on the page. Although, as I said earlier, I do agree with you.

Sidharth Chaturvedi - same as JailhouseRock2, you're right and I should let you guys see that work too in order to let you gauge how I'm doing. I think Bobby Chiu was twittering one day that a SB should just be a throw away thing and not "a work of art", so that you can keep the looseness along with the harder work. Anything in my moleskines are really relatively throw away.....

Axel.s - I know what you mean! The first one I bought, I was talking about way back on page 2, I think... had to buy it in Florence for about 30 euros!! - couldn't bring myself to draw on it for about 2 years! But they've become really common here in Galway - up from "completely unavailable" and they're about 15 euros or so now. You can get them from Amazon and stuff for a reasonable price too. Shop around. It's hard to make that first mark on a SB that you have to pay a packet for though, regardless of how lovely it is.

LtPlissken - Now that is flattering praise. Thank you so much. I don't know if I'm overly more able than an average "artist". There's always somone above you on the ladder. Keep on working hard. I'm not that serious, regardless of the bad mobile phone photo. The photos of me smiling were too scary or weird looking to use.

lennon - I'm always disappointed with my grasp of 3 dimensionality and "pop". One of the best pieces of advice I got from my art lecturers was from our etching master, who said "don't be afraid of tone". He was speaking of 3-dimensionality at the time. And I'm still kind of afraid of it, in a way. Your piece of advice goes up there too. I'll try again, I guess.

Some stuff from my pub sketch group, which you cn find if you go to my profile on facebook, or turn up in McSwiggan's pub in Galway monday night the 30th of November at about 8:30! We had way more people than usual on monday just gone. Well, 13 or 14 instead of the usual 8 or so.

Name:  ms2_sample30.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  461.5 KB

Name:  ms2_sample31.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  487.1 KB

Name:  ms2_sample32.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  384.1 KB

Name:  ms2_sample33.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  521.0 KB

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    yo man, good drawings in here! ehrm you but potential but dont get me wrong when i show or discribe you an mistake you make with the pencilshading. one rule id loerned is: let you shapes flow like a gradient into eachother. for that edgy-style you can draw hard edges at dark zones or pronouce special parts witch hatching one more tome on them.
    draw more you will se you improve fast!

cheers lateman

Searching for female mentor! ... will pay with love.

Website COMING SOON!

NEW Sketchbook

Gallery

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lateman For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Lateman - thanks for the props and the crits. This is sketchbook stuff, but even still I should take a bit more time softening my transitions. After tomow, I have 2 weeks holidays from the day job & I'll work on and post something more accomplished.

SB scribbles...

Name:  023.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  343.2 KB

Name:  024.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  307.1 KB

Name:  025.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  254.7 KB

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Cool sketchbook here I think your inks would have to be the strongest I dig the loose lines in them.
    Your pencils seem kinda stiff though, on your renderd pencils you could add some more form if you render with the shape a bit more.
    Keep it up man ill be looking forward to seeing your next update.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The work in ink shows you have loads of confidence. You don't need to saw back and forth wearing a groove in the paper. Good show!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    THANK YOU for your post.

Check out my sb, I did some figures. And read my little story at the beginning

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gabs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    come on man, don't give me thanks! gimme some crits!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gabs For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    OmertA, arttorney - thanks guys. The last few years of printmaking has made me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more comfortable with ink and working direct than with graphite. I've lost the touch, somewhat. Working on it.

gabs - I use "Thanks" to show I read your post. But you know that already.

Hiyo! I had my two weeks off work and I'm looking forwards to a month solid coming up. Now, I foolishly bought the GTA trilogy box set so I didn't get as much art done as I should have, but I got a bit. I have some charcoal and conte portraits I have finished, and measured out like I said in my post above. I have to photograph them and post them up. And remember to resize the bloody photos. Last monday (as in 10 days ago) we had our Galway Pub Scrawl event, where we did Vampire Pub Drawing, which you can see in the link, even if you're not on facebook. Although you should be, and go join the Art Mobs and CA groups. Now. The photographs are there because I didn't resize them when I could and CA's uploader finds them too big. Twit.

Also, some sketchbook work. A idea thumbnail I had for one of the portraits that I discarded. I was thumbnailing out the poses for my uh, "models"/volunteers? And this was one I discarded.

Name:  ms2_sample34.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  418.8 KB

A Space Marine, sort of. When I was younger I gave up drawing. Except Space Marines. Over and over and over. I haven't drawn one in ages, so I felt the need.

Name:  ms2_sample35.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  451.7 KB

Crayons don't seem to scan well. There's a lot in this that vanished on the scan. It might be too light in tone, or maybe the moleskine paper? I don't know. This was meant to be a sample from a Francis Bacon portrait, somewhat. With a little bit of a colour wheel to remind myself....

Name:  ms2_sample36.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  370.0 KB

And a little marker sketch.....

Name:  ms2_sample37.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  344.3 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 5,840 Times in 3,945 Posts
    Thanks for dropping by my SB. Been through all 6 pages here and I'm impressed. You have a great grasp of knowing where to leave an area blank to create dynamism and form.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Love your sketchbook pages!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LosPescados For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Black Spot - Hee hee hee. I've been by your book before when you were doing the newborn piece, but I didn't get around to commenting then. I've been twittering at you so much recently I felt I had to say hi here as well. That was a lovely thing to say about my Arts.

LosPescados - So kind! Thank you so much.

I still haven't done anything about photographing or scanning my good work. I really like where I'm going with some big work recently, although it's a bit like a bargain basement David Kassan. Although if I was going to be a bargain basement anyone, it would be him.

Here's some sketchbook work to fill the time....

Name:  ms2_sample38.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  454.0 KB

Name:  ms2_sample39.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  445.6 KB

Name:  ms2_sample40.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  459.8 KB

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.