Sketchbook: You don't use it you lose it, gonna try to get it back. - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really really like this drawing program you use, which I wanted to check out
    a few month ago but I didn\t was very busy with video editing. I wonder if you
    have a sketch book. Love messy sketchbooks.

Would love to see some drawing from pencil, inc, what every you got!

Ps.: I love the forest, when I am in doubt.

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Terrible time to hit a new page hahahah.... I've been in the most ridiculous funk and have nothing to show but crappy doodles.
    Haven't drawn in a long time been really stressed and I can tell I'm immensely rusty

@iven
    Yeah, my scanner busted a while back. Have yet to get even a cheap one.
    I doodle occasionally on paper but I haven't been drawing much at all recently....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just playing to try to get back even a bit of what I was cranking out before.
    Took forever to just make something that doesn't feel like what I'd make 3 years ago.
    Lines digitally have been bugging me then I realize. It doesn't matter about the quality of lines if the form they make looks like shit.

But anyways. Just drafting around from my head to have fun and hopefully get inspired again.

Progression until I figured too many problems so time to start over.
    Hands looked like pure shit. The angle of the body and arm just wasn't matching up or something it felt wrong.
    The head felt like it didn't even belong on the body at all lol
    Then the right arm I couldn't figure out at all. So I just thought fuck it. Don't be afraid to start over.

Name:  s.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  27.6 KB
    Name:  d.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  49.8 KB
    Name:  f.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  41.8 KB
    Name:  g.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  81.4 KB

And now I'm drafting out a new bit.
    Arms still bug me among other things. Don't have a mirror near my computer anymore
    Trying to dip in and out of the bathroom and grasp what I can
    but it's difficult. Gonna keep workin at it.

Hopefully things will spark back up
    But like usual life is crazy. One of my closest friends just moved to Hawaii halfway around the world.

Name:  3 copy.png
Views: 573
Size:  94.9 KB

Last edited by JFierce; October 12th, 2012 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great styles. Love the comic book posts (your line work is captivating) and I'd love to see more of your work on your sprites/game, since I've been very interested in doing something similar myself

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @MrFrenik Thanks very much! Hopefully I can do more spritework. Lifes been hectic. Haven't even heard from the people I'm working on it with in a week or so. A bit of a break I guess for now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The previous drawing went nowhere so far. Anatomy issues that bug me too much and with no ref not too worried about it right now.

So more playing to try to get everything back. Haven't touched my old painter version in ages so messing around having fun. Arms a bit stubby since I was trying to edit the ref a bit and didn't quite capture it right. But moving on.

Watercolor settings are interesting. Kind of makes me want to play with watercolors in real life a bit. Never really wanted to learn to paint in real life. Not a fan of the mess, no cash for supplies and not trying to be a pro painter. But Watercolors are fairly no mess. Hmmm.....

Name:  jca.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  52.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, you do really great work. Honestly, the best way to break out of a funk, at least for me, is to just keep going through it. Life really sucks at times, trust me I've been there. Just keep pushing man, in art and in life. You'll get back to a happy place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychobuddy For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Water colours are difficult, but fairly cheap. Don't worry about life; it never turns out as expected.

I actually preferred your first sketch of the guy. Sometimes we see errors that aren't actually there.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks both of you for the kind words.

Edit: Almost forgot @Blackspot. Yeah I noticed that too. I had some little features that fit well at the rough sketch that I lost. It bugged me to no end. I remember posting on Facebook at one point "I don't know if I'm going forward or backwards at this point" haha.

------------------------------------------------

More little doodles for today. Friend made an interesting status on Facebook which gave me imagery. So I scratched something down to show to my friend. Might do a couple more pages to finish the thought. If I do probably will fix this one up a bit more. Like the guy walking in the 2nd panel. Errors left and right.

aaaannnd holy shit I just saw it's 5 AM. Sleep time.

Name:  Story File.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  116.7 KB

Last edited by JFierce; August 12th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! This sketch-beezy is quite certainly off the "heezy"!
    I really like your comics, and that last post... reminds me of a few reoccurring dreams I've had 2 years ago xD anyway, nice stuff!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarbingerofIllRepute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @HarbingerofIllRepute: Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------
    Name:  f.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  47.6 KB

Doodle for the day. Started with the face, but then a friend told me it looked like an older version of Ashley Spinelli from the old cartoon Recess. Which I found funny because it's true.

So I'm roughly figuring the body out. The foreshortening is driving me nuts. Doesn't quite match up right with Head, Torso and Legs. It's like the legs need to go back in space and the stomach shrink a little to connect to the legs. Been playing with it and can't quite figure it out yet. The cap might be a bit too big as well.

But it's late and need sleep. Can't see it straight right now. Hopefully will push it a bit further later. It's been fun so far. Still a rough draft either way. Was playing around in Gimp but I don't like Gimp for lines as much as Photoshop. So probably going to redraw it anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more constructing and adjusting. My thought process I guess as I pathfind around these problems.

Name:  bettrerca.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  107.7 KB

Been a bitch to figure out and still need to figure some thing out before going over it all and making the lines look a bit better.

Where I'm at so far with Adult Ashley Spinelli.
    But all I can do for now since gotta clean clean clean for tomorrow.
    I think the leg in the foreground is a bit too forward with that posture.
    Working through this made me realize.
    I REALLY need to do leg studies.

Name:  Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  50.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude! i think i checked your SB before, but i'm not sure if i gave you some feedback. I agree with you about the legs, and the stuff about gimp. If you're looking for some really good lines, i would recommend Painter (any version), but as we know, it is not a stable software. Anyways, you're doing well so far, keep doing!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Caio Chagas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kevin Thanks!
    @Caio Chagas : Yeah, I have an older painter version. I'm kind of curious how different the higher versions are. Painter is fun to play around with. The version of painter I have now doesn't give me the lines I like but it has lots of other things that I enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing much recently. Friend I haven't seen in months came back in town for the weekend so visited him. More nonsensical doodles and a very quick sketch from a mirror. Since I need to draw legs more and get the gist of how they look properly. Since I'm fairly low fat the muscles and curves stick out easy too. Kind of hard drawing your own legs from multiple angles though. It's fun though. Will spend more time than some chicken scratch to actually study them more.

Name:  ;copy.png
Views: 600
Size:  126.5 KB
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  125.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your girl has 2 left feet which isn't helping you make decisions.

Nice legs. Next time wear a speedo.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahahaha.... Wow that is a brain fart. I was lightly shaping the feet and didn't even think about the toes on the right foot. Not as bad as I used to. "Oh look I drew a hand. Oh crap it's on backwards".

================================================== ============

Facebook is forcing Timeline on people now.
    So I figured I'd draw a quick sketch for a cover photo.
    Zombie gnawing on my photo and such. Was fun to mess with.
    Besides this haven't been doodling too much. Busy cleaning.

Name:  facebook-cover-template copy.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  117.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi jfierce

i'm glad you're doing panels too ! thanks for your great contribution. i'm reading the wesley book about Notan with interest !

as critic for your work:
    242 : this post is great , you should continue on it. line quality is better !
    the forshortened girl : you should move his body parts (torso , pelvis , legs) more back and don't hesitate to make them smaller (draw one point perpective line, it sure help)
    line quality in this one is good too, and your faces are appealing.

keep up i'll check later

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh I knooow 242 I liked a lot. I just have it on the backburners hoping I can some day look at it and go "OHHHH that's what's wrong here". Anatomies confusing me, probably have to rework the head, or the body a lot to fix it up.

and thanks! I feel most comfortable with faces, everytime I draw a blank I can doodle out a face but attaching a body is what's out of my comfort zone. Which I'm trying to get into more hopefully. Need to do more stuff from reference and observation and less from my head.

================================================== ===

I was looking through other peoples sketchbooks, and some artists on DA. When I saw a few pieces where they make things just glow. So I'm looking at the colors these artists use. Playing with them, seeing where on the wheel they are and why they 'glow'. Pretty sure a lot has to do with the background obviously from the basic color theory I learned in a class ages ago. It's interesting the colors around the edges some use and how much even slightly changing the value disturbs the balance. Fun stuff though. Curious what a background would do to it.

But just playing with a fan art drawing of Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho. Since he was a spirit and died. Though my version is I guess more. 'Spirity'. Still need to redraw the legs and fix things here and there later. But that's it for tonights scribbles. I need to step away to see all the errors anyways.

Name:  colorstudy.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  9.3 KB
    Name:  pose.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  17.4 KB
    Name:  wrong.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  21.6 KB

EDIT: Actually I don't do many crowd shots of people in an environment all over in a space. So did a quick prelim sketch to play with later.

Name:  5 copy.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  82.9 KB

Edit Edit:
    Slight rework. Couldn't sleep. Still errors. Now I'm gonna sleep.

Name:  g.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  17.5 KB

Last edited by JFierce; August 24th, 2012 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ Realized the problem with the guys legs are they aren't retracting back in space. They should be smaller and at a different more comfortable angle. But busy with all sorts of stuff and I'm movin' on like usual.

Tempted to start working on the sprites for the iphone game with friends. But I really need to get into the mood. All sorts of shit is going on with my sister, and we've listed our house (instead of having it auctioned out from beneath us) so there's lots of stress, but actually it's sort of a calm before the storm since I have some free time and peace and quiet.

Just have to get into that state of mind to animate again. Hunker down.
    But until then I just did a minor doodle to tide me over, since I'm the night owl type.
    and it's usually how I feel, either with games to keep my mind occupied, or drawing, etc etc....

Name:  tired.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  113.7 KB

Then doodled a bit more on the sketch above. Plenty of issues there too.

Name:  5more.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  144.2 KB

Edit: Don't like to bump posts for no reason, did this same day as my post so just tacking it on here.

Just more doodles from ma head. Always can do faces when nothing else comes up. Don't know why.

Name:  brown-paper2 copy.png
Views: 407
Size:  233.2 KB

Last edited by JFierce; August 31st, 2012 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketch dump since CA was gone. Doodled here and there I can't even explain most of it.

But anyways

This was a Sin City joke I did while watching Sin City when my dog was next to me. I wanted to try to get multiple pages done in like a couple hours. Was hard trying to work super fast.

Name:  1CA.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  25.2 KB
    Name:  2CA.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  45.4 KB
    Name:  3CA.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  89.3 KB
    Name:  4CA.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  55.6 KB

Then a bunch of other random stuff.
    Gimp has a painter patch apparently which has actual Flow and stuff
    unlike crappy photoshop elements. So it's interesting.

Name:  tortoise.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  111.9 KB
    Name:  spidey.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  71.2 KB
    Name:  spiderman.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  29.2 KB
    Name:  blue2.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  196.3 KB
    Name:  Untitledhh-1.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  99.4 KB
    Name:  fixed.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  23.7 KB
    Name:  sketchboy.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  19.3 KB
    Name:  feetCA.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  134.7 KB
    Name:  SB.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  109.5 KB

That's about it though, mostly just quick scribbles. Lifes been hectic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In an even bigger rut. Yesterday sat trying to draw something.... anything.... couldn't get a thing out.

Tonight tried again. Had a simple funny one page (really one panel) joke. Managed to get that out at least although quick.

Name:  zombieca.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  65.3 KB

About it. Though not going to be drawing much probably come October 2, RE6 comes out and my friend got me an Xbox just so we can play it since he moved to Hawaii. So that's going to be taking up what little free time I had lol.

Hopefully I can doodle some in between.

Last edited by JFierce; September 30th, 2012 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You'll do more than that young man - you have progress made to maintain and improve on.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I know.... I got busy not just with RE6 but life got hectic in general. People are looking at our house we're trying to sell. Hopefully they'll buy it or someone will. That would remove so much stress it's not even funny. Also I need a change of scenery. Doodled a bit here and there but nothing big. Think I'm just going to do at least quick sketches of friends photos on facebook or something. Shouldn't take long and will at least help keep a bit of practice in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Friend had an interesting skydiving picture. Though I in my head rotated it a bit more sideways. It's really rough but I still liked it. Was a bit more difficult than I thought with all these cords and straps everywhere so had to fudge it a bit and accidentally put it all on one layer which usually I like to keep lines separate. If I was going to fix anything I'd go back and fix the hands obviously. I rushed through them way too fast when I was tired and it showed the next morning.

Also still in the debate of GIMP vs photoshop for lines. This was gimp but I kind of prefer even a crappy version of photoshop and it's settings. Gimp is fun for adding color or grayscale though to lines though.

Name:  skydive.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  146.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know much about drawing, but I know a great deal about funks. Keep at it. You probably know as well as I do how much you'll regret it if you stop, and then come back later rusty beyond all belief. It's very difficult to keep at art when there's real-life stuff going on, too. Drawing friends and family is excellent practice, I find it much easier to see my mistakes in resemblance when I know the person I'm drawing very well.

I'm having a little trouble reading your most recent drawing. I see a flight helmet on the character in the back, that reads, but like you mentioned, the cords and wires and whatnot look really jumbled right now. It'd be interesting to see you progress this some more, if you feel like it.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Basham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Normally I don't reply without a picture. But this one I want to because not sure the next time I'll get a drawing uploaded on here. Because yeah. Not making excuses. I had a bit of issue reading it myself. Hell midway through it I realized the hand in the foreground was my friends hand not the instructor she was strapped to. I read the picture wrong during the actual drawing lol.

That is what I think the main issue the little hands in the back but that big ol hand in the foreground that is all wrong and you don't even know if it's hers or his. Since his other arm was out of frame, the cords are definitely a mess. I've thought about finishing it up and redrawing it but I want to just keep sketching in quantity to just keep some sort of flow going to keep putting something down at least. Experiment. Get my drive back a bit more.

Edit: Actually nevermind. Did draw something today. Another friend from facebook real quick and yerp. I enjoy lines in photoshop. Grayscale with gimp painter.

Name:  julianca.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  69.2 KB

Last edited by JFierce; October 9th, 2012 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doodling around in my head only with color for a change. Still very rough but I'm going to bed so it's a WIP.

Listening to Zelda music and obviously drawing Link despite it being only a strong silhouette/shadow I placed just to get the general composition down. Having fun with it so far, even though it's nothing amazing. Going to bullshit details and believability until it's past my skill level then it's done.

Name:  processnails.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  progress4.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  59.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been dinking around with this little by little for days. Just figuring things out. Trying to figure out how to lay in a feel of 'light through the clouds upper right. Then have it match the upper left. I think the clouds need more dark colors since to make something appear bright the colors surrounding it are important. Then have to fix the values in the sky because of it.

Still a WIP though. Fun even though I haven't even worked on the focal point at all......

Name:  Getting there.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  43.1 KB

Edit: Looking at it again I need to make the scheme of values on the top right match the top left a lot more. Clouds are above the earth, but still all of them are below the sun in space. The light wouldn't be mismatched that much I don't think.

Edit Edit lol: Played a bit more with the clouds. Values and such. Liking the direction it's heading. going to have to clean some stuff up and redraw shit but only after I think the clouds and sky is good enough which may be awhile. Clouds from your head is hard as balls.

Name:  getting there 2.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  42.6 KB

Last edited by JFierce; October 15th, 2012 at 03:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Busy busy. Haven't even doodled in ages. But I find myself coming back to this one just to play with it. Because I don't know.... I like the colors. I like playing with clouds too. Was sitting in the car staring up and saw some that gave me some more ideas and thoughts on how to do em'. They're just fun..... because they have such weird form and color to them and it's really hard to get realistic feeling ones because it's not normal form. It's wispy and sometimes slightly translucent but if it's too much it doesn't appear to be 'cloudy', then the edges you don't want to make them too jagged but you don't want to make them too smooth. Just fun to experiment.

Name:  NewZelda.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  32.8 KB

Also looking through all my old pages. Good lord. The further you get the more you notice was really really wrong with your old pieces. My lord some of these I sit there and think "How did I miss that?!"

But anyways that's all just a little more slow progress on the clouds. Then I cropped it with the screenshot. But I actually like the way it's cropped and probably will keep it like that.

Last edited by JFierce; October 23rd, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was messing around with black and whites some more. Started doodling. Liked the feel of them. So made a page. Might continue it to give my.... .. what is this the 4th try at my zombie comic? Eh. Either way I feel I'm getting better with every attempt.

The panel layout was a bit weird since I wasn't really planning things. Especially since it's basically like. Portrait, cake.... scene setting. But it does give 'enough' information. Which can be expanded on in the next page or so. Weird but I still like it a bit.

Name:  blacks.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  Page1 CA.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  199.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well my good streak of drawing semi regularly is interrupted. Found out I'm moving by the end of November. So that's a bit distracting as well as some crazy other stuff.

Was working on a new page, did a general simplistic layout of black then working up and refining. Though that right hand on the first panel bugged the hell out of me. But sucks that I'm a bit more distracted. Hurricane and news of moving etc.

Name:  Page2CAwip.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:  donefirstpanel.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  30.2 KB

Still big WIP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 2. Had fun making friends in dead zombies...... .... well.... that's an odd sentence.
    But yerp. Movin on.

Name:  Page2 CA.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  228.7 KB

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.