Sketchbook: You don't use it you lose it, gonna try to get it back. - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Restarted my original Zombie comic, at the bottom of the page. Earlier stuff was first attempt. Pure crap (not like new one is much better) and looking back it feels terrible lol. But I'll keep practicing. Around a page a night give or take some days depending on what's going on.

Will eventually upload it on deviantart since they don't require resizing but meh I'm lazy for now.

Was pretty sick yesterday so couldn't do much, but feeling better today so here's page 4. Was pretty fun realizing I could cut to some of the more dramatic or fun pages soon instead of just person A. talks to person B. type stuff and in a car no less so I can't exactly show any crazy camera angles next page should be fun.

Name:  page4linesca.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  246.5 KB

Name:  Page4.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  310.2 KB

Last edited by JFierce; November 26th, 2011 at 03:45 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weird, I posted this before but it didn't show up again. Hopefully shows up this time.

Edit: Dammit didn't show up when I originally posted, then after I tried to post it again the previous one showed up haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Felt like doing 2 pages in a day =p
    Page 5.

Name:  Page5Lines.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  237.2 KB

Name:  Page5Done.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  285.7 KB

Realized I have an issue with ears, need to study up on them in pages to come.
    That and forgot about the rule of flattening and simplifying.
    Which I 'think' I did it in some frames while others I let it get too muddled up.
    Also something to work on in pages to come.

Last edited by JFierce; May 27th, 2011 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o: nice stuff man, nice illustrations, n then comic is going good, keep it up

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well that poor guy is about to have the worst day of his life.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rem92 - Thanks!

Reutte - Pretty much shows that in this page haha.

--------------------

Ok. This page.... this page was difficult. I had this image in my head of all sorts of stuff but it didn't end up the way I was thinking originally. At first I was gonna make the car at the top a silhouette along with the figure, but that looked like crap, so then I had to try to fill it in normally which didn't go as well as I hoped, then adding in the background to try to show movement was a pain.

Originally also was gonna do 3 panels showing different stages of the guy getting hit. Then 3 panels of him flying at the windshield on another page. But ended up shortening it to 1 panel of getting hit and 2 of flying at windshield.

The whole page was just annoying since I didn't have any references to use for any of the poses or faces (except for the first picture, I partly used the legs but not much).

I'm just hoping this page reads somewhat ok and isn't confusing. I know plenty that while to the artist the drawing may make sense and is easy to know whats going on. But to someone who is just reading and had no hand in making it may feel differently.

Name:  page6linesdone.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  287.1 KB

Name:  Page6finsihed.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  296.3 KB

Whats weird is I printed this page out and the panel with the thud in it looks a lot better printed than in digital form surprisingly.

Last edited by JFierce; June 4th, 2011 at 03:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your creativity! and ooooh, you drew a kitteh on one of the pages!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Conniekat8 - Thanks!

Page 7
    Hope the guy looks like he's turning a steering well and everything is pretty much understandable of what's going on thus far.

Name:  page7Lines.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  261.2 KB

Name:  Page 7 Done.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  293.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 8.

Guy ducking for covers anatomies off =/
    You'd be surprised how hard it is to get a ducking head reference
    Search google and all you get are fricken Ducks. Found one with a soldier but his rifle was in the way and his clothes were baggy and weird so then had to bullshit the rest. Didn't come out quite the way I wanted but eh it'll do.

The first panel wasn't what I wanted either but I was wracking my brain and couldn't come up with anything, and didn't feel like drawing any more or spending that long on one page O_o

Name:  Page8.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  271.1 KB

Name:  Page8Finished..jpg
Views: 394
Size:  133.2 KB

Gonna start adding more contrast of dark and light more like in some of these pages. Printed out the pages I have so far just to see what its like in a physical form and the best pages are the ones with more contrast.

Last edited by JFierce; June 3rd, 2011 at 02:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did page 10 then realized it had no actual segue so went back and did page 9.
    Probably gonna find another place to upload the pages in one spot so they can be seen in a sequence later. May help a bit.

Poses are a bit static I realize. But lord just even trying to figure out how to make the general viewpoint and make it look like slamming his head into a window was hard (I hope thats what it looks like anyways lol)

Name:  Page9Lines.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  302.3 KB

Name:  9Done.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  386.8 KB

Name:  Page10lines.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  302.8 KB

Name:  Page10Done.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  383.4 KB

Ya know I may not be an amazing story teller, or be skilled enough to try drawing a comic yet. But .... its still pretty damn fun and I haven't even gotten to zombies.

Last edited by JFierce; June 6th, 2011 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good! Your storytelling and layout are getting better as you go, just keep going. Like a lot of things, momentum is way more important than perfection.

Looking forward to seeing more-especially since I have a project like this in mind also!

A humble question/suggestion: why not add some cracks to that window when the face hits it? Could help sell both the action and the force with which it's happening.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mnkyking View Post
    Looking good! Your storytelling and layout are getting better as you go, just keep going. Like a lot of things, momentum is way more important than perfection.

Looking forward to seeing more-especially since I have a project like this in mind also!

A humble question/suggestion: why not add some cracks to that window when the face hits it? Could help sell both the action and the force with which it's happening.
    Usually wait to finish a page before replying in my SB but this time I'll make an exception haha.

You know I was thinking about that. I tried to add some small cracks if you could see them in a higher res version (I think the deviantart link at the top has a higher res version). I think mainly I was having trouble with how to make the cracks while making it so the face was shown clearly. when I tried to pencil in some cracks before, after I scanned and put them into photoshop it was a bit distracting and too bold, or the lines didn't even show up enough so you could see them.

But your right I may try to go back and give it another try. Maybe if I give the glass a darker tint that we can see instead of it mainly being clear I can use that to create a bit of whitespace to accentuate the cracks without detracting from the overall form of the face and such.

Edit: Couldn't draw anything tonight because of a guest being here and having to keep the lights out since she's sleeping. So I tried a revision on the glass crack like I said. Hopefully at least a tad better.

Last edited by JFierce; June 6th, 2011 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 11. This one I was fitting a lot of text in so the bubbles text isn't that big. If you can't read or want a better view the link at the top of the page should have a higher res version that show it clearly. The guy in the page is supposed to be just rambling on and on almost to himself so its not supposed to be big important dialogue.

Name:  page11lines.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  319.7 KB

Name:  11Done.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  446.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you make some very smart choices in how you put together your sequences!

remember that you can use lines, shape, and exaggeration to emphasize direction, dynamics and motion!

These effects are useful even in non-anime styles as they are a part of our visual language.

http://www.adobetutorialz.com/articl...-Action-Effect
    http://mangacide.deviantart.com/art/...tion-198099764

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like always don't like to immediately reply unless I have an update but that was sound advice and just wanted to say that you know.... your absolutely right.

I may go back and make some simple modifications to some frames. Namely the guy crashing through the windshield could use a bit more emphasis same with the guy hitting his head on the window. But definitely going to take this into account later. The links were also very useful I already have some idea's. Probably going to look up other tutorials or resources too. I think it'll be pretty important to have the dynamics added once there's people clubbing zombies and what not.

Edit: I think the reason I was hesitant to even add a bit of lines or effects was because I didn't want to drift into old habits of drawing anime or manga style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't been able to draw all weekend. Was fun to get back to it. Was experimenting with creating some simple action lines. Was a lot harder than I thought getting them just right.

Page 12
    Name:  Page12linesSketch.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  218.3 KB

Name:  12SketchDone.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  265.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!

Really nice comic strips, certainty better than I could do! However, what bothers the eye is the fuzzy lines. Would be great to see the line work cleaned up more, so that it isn't a distraction, but a crisp aid to the story you wish to put down!

Keep going strong!

Best wishes,

Ana

Get naked, eat sushi!

CA.org sketchbook
    Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jansi

Thats a good tip too. Usually I semi rush it and forget to clean up a lot of the lines or even eraser marks. But your right in most comics they do have clean clear lines. I'm trying not to scribble too much when I'm doing them guess I need to pay a bit more attention.

Two in a night thats a switch. But felt like drawing another page to attempt to focus on my lines a bit more since its true that has always bugged me. Was a bit of a quickie still though, since I need to go to bed but it was pretty fun. Will most likely fill it in tomorrow.

Page 13

Name:  Page13linrd.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  269.3 KB

Bottom panel the face is off looking back. But way too late to fix.

Last edited by JFierce; June 14th, 2011 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went back and fixed some big issues with the lines in page 13. Then finished it.
    Name:  Page13LinesCA.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  233.7 KB

Name:  Page13CADone.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  339.7 KB

Then a friend asked me to draw a Fox with Eagle wings for his softball team so I did this real quick for him. Was difficult having to only use 4 colors.
    Name:  FoxFireCA.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  174.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 14

This page..... this damn page...... First I had to eyeball most of the panels and all of the 3rd one. Doing the 3rd panel just from my head was a big pain. Didn't turn out quite how I wanted and there are issues but it turned out ok I guess (Zombies in a straight jacket if you can't tell I guess I should add though it will be more obvious later)

Then filling this in was AWFUL. I was trying to add some slight actiony lines and shrunk the image then accidentally saved over it. So I had to take the lines and refill in everything in a hurry because its getting late. It sucks too because I had it perfect before =(

Name:  14calines.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  278.5 KB

Name:  14ca.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  375.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice illustrations... keep that comic flowing bro

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rem92 - Thanks!

This page was a bit hard to figure out the camera for it I suppose. I feel like I'm using the "dramatic pause moment" too much lol. The guy with the car, the back of the truck and now here. But it can't be helped I guess. Thats what I pictured would happen haha. Had to reverse one panel to have it make sense. The last panel is annoying too because I was planning on it having the light coming from the one side but it didn't make sense either so I had to do it from the other side and wing it. That and I should have flattened the colors out but when I was messing around they got all muddied up =/

Anyways Page 15

Name:  15lines.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  276.3 KB

Name:  15ca.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  364.5 KB

Last edited by JFierce; June 18th, 2011 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 16

This one was fun but hurt my brain trying to figure out. Never really messed with any sort of weird perspectives like a low angle before. So I know there's some issue's in this rampant. That and panel 2 was giving me loads of trouble with logic. First had him reaching his arm back to grab the gun. But then realized that makes no sense at all why keep your handgun on the opposite side as your shooting arm. Then it didn't match with the hand that was in the first panel. So there were all sorts of logic problems and I'm trying to keep this making as much sense as possible haha.

Anyways it was fun. I need to try more unique camera angles more often. Feel like I'm repeating the same ones over and over.

Name:  Page16lines.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  290.4 KB

Name:  16ca.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  352.4 KB

Oh yeah and Onomonopia is hard =(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 17. The pages are getting more fun. But I'm starting to overview the entire thing and I look back going "Agh, that should be so much better". But if I took the time to redo every page I'd never get anywhere in this story. So keep pushing on =/

Starting to hopefully add a bit more of the humor slowly to the comic because frankly its supposed to be pretty comedy based. Didn't intend for it to start this completely serious but I guess you can't be "not" serious when explaining a zombie outbreak.

Name:  17lineca.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  280.0 KB

Name:  17ca.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  373.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 18.

Name:  18linesca.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  266.3 KB

Name:  18ca.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  376.1 KB

Don't have time to go through full on sets of pages, scan them post them up here. But I think I'm going to take a gander at some Bridgman books. The vague anatomy knowledge I have can only go so far and I'd like to know how to construct a figure better with some basic building block knowledge.

Last edited by JFierce; June 22nd, 2011 at 06:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lord its been ages. I tried the draw a comic page a day thing but life got very crazy, end of story. But basically couldn't keep up. Don't have the time or motivation with all the stuff going on for a complex story comic. Soooooo I've just figured I'll forget story complexities I can't finish and just doodle for fun and let it unfold itself. Experiment try new angles hopefully and learn some more.

Did like 21 pages of a different comic and uploaded it to the deviantart link above but its not that great, problems galore but I did learn some stuff though.

Different comic starting now
    ---------------------------------------------------

Name:  Page_1.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  171.6 KB

First page isn't amazing, I know I should have added a lot of action lines to the bottom panel for sure but I can fix that with the next panel showing the action left out I suppose. It's not perfect looking back but I'm not going to be a perfectionist again. Last newer comic I tried I kept going back and editing this and that and this and that. Kept going over and over and it took forever and it was still never close to perfect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time no update lol
    This is where I restarted.

But yeah drew some little dinky comics here and there for experimentation on my deviantart page but now I'm going to give another go at my Zombie comic after getting a little experience with the process.

Same premise I guess technically as the original. Even same events just I'm skipping ahead past the bullshit. I got too bored drawing out of the action to start.

But anyways here is my first 2 pages and little sketch I did. Going for a less serious comic this time. Also figured the more you care about details the less you get done and the worse it is from my experience, just have fun with it.

Page 1
    Name:  page1CA.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  201.3 KB

Page 2. Quality seems to have gotten reduced somehow. A bit blurry.
    The first 2 frames were annoying and bugged me but unlike before not worrying about it. Moving on.
    Name:  CApage2.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  297.1 KB

Then a little sketch. While listening to the girl in byakkoya from the movie paprika that song is trippy.
    Name:  Freefallfinished.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  230.5 KB

Anyways hopefully I can keep this one up. It feels a bit different from my other ones starting out so far.

Last edited by JFierce; November 26th, 2011 at 03:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page dump mostly quicker stuff, just trying to get some pages out of the way. Think I need to start using darker shades like the last couple pages more.

Name:  ca3.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  239.6 KB

Name:  ca4.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  304.7 KB

Name:  ca5.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  305.0 KB

Name:  ca6.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  265.2 KB

Name:  ca7.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  232.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool comics dude ! The only crit i have is the "drip" text on your last page draws too much attention .

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BlasteR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a lot of shit going on at home recently so not as much time. But I got a couple pages out. Trying a new coloring process which is less "shortcut-ish" so to speak. Before used mainly patterns and toned brushes to shade, realized that gives limitations and doesn't really feel right. That toner pattern should use to differentiate the background/environment more so than color the characters and such.

Anyways Page 9 and 10
    Name:  CAPage9.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  292.7 KB

Name:  CAPage10.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  305.6 KB

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.