Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Hit page 6 apparently. Main goal is to get better at comics.

Back to regular values, maybe expand them with color later since I've wanted to learn gray scale to color anyways, then trying to simplify, and hopefully maintain complexity since I over render a lot.

@Rain Walker:

Thanks man! Your oils are great!

------------------------------------------------

Doodling while watching Breaking Bad.
    Didn't get the disappearing into the sky effect I wanted.
    Need to make the tail fade slower and appear longer to have gotten that.
    But it went further than I was expecting when just putting stuff down.

Name:  sea2.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  264.7 KB
    Last edited by JFierce; February 16th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

Wow, the improvement since page 1 is absolutely stunning--you've come a long way!

I'm loving your linework, especially the really sharp, energetic sketches from post 144 and your most recent post--PLEASE do more work like that--that stuff is fantastic. Also, your backgrounds are looking great--the street scene from post 122 (was that really done with a mouse?) and the city in post 132. You have a good sense of both linear and atmospheric perspective.

You do have some minor errors in body proportions from time to time--limbs too long, awkward positioning, etc. (the man's arm in post 139, for instance). It might help to do some figure drawings from photos or, preferably, from life if you have the opportunity.

Definitely subscribing to this; can't wait to see more

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Meps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    great sketchbook so far. No real crits from me, other than let us see a few more pencils please!
    Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @meps

Thanks very much! The street was a pencil to start the rendering I was attempting was with a mouse lol.

Yeah my anatomy can be wonky, especially without a reference which the comic is mostly. I do need to do some more figure drawings, I haven't cracked any of those out in awhile.

@ThomasM
    Thanks! I haven't done any pencil in awhile, I'll try to see if I can find my scanner because too much digital can make you rusty I'm betting.

----------------------------------

Ok my other armor studies were just messing around with Alchemy but I realized I've been doing so much work in Alchemy that I need to do some the regular way too. Alchemy is fun but it's a very different process and set of tools.

Not taking it any further than this despite some more things I could push, but don't have time.
    Name:  armor_edited-1.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  187.4 KB

Thanks
    Did another panel of the comic, still far from done though. But took some of the above suggestions into consideration.

First a quick page of pencils. Where I realize I am VERY rusty with pencils.
    Also realized why I enjoy digital so much. The freedom to edit.
    When I'm doing pencils I can't get as clear of a picture, I get zoned out.
    When digital I'll just zoom out a ton and spot things I miss.

Then when I zone back in I realize I fucked up some stuff then it's a pain to erase, redraw, rescan, to fix.

But anyways more or less doodles.
    The females lower half isn't in proportion to the upper half, need to widen it out more but once again, have to erase, redraw, rescan, reupload, which takes a lot of time.
    Name:  1sketches.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  126.3 KB

Also after trying to do a study with just line, I realized how off digital was compared to pencil ironically. With my pencils my lines could be varied much more. Then I finally took the initiative to fix the tablet pressure recognition with my shitty photohop elements 7
    (oh yeah high tech stuff lol -_-)

So this one is digital trying to capture some feeling of graphite.
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  208.0 KB

Going to try to do more figure studies, they were surprisingly fun.

Then this was just a 5 min joke I did late at night because I always feel the internet keeps me away from my bed and sleep.
    Name:  l.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  329.7 KB
    Last edited by JFierce; January 30th, 2012 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
    Great Sketchbook. I really love your armor-studies esp. the last one!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RoboMat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow how do you get that graphite effect in photoshop? Really cool

That armor study looks good, the more fully rendered part really looks like metal!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @RoboMat

Thanks!

@Sushy

Looked up pencil brushes then came across some and experimented. Basically drew my lines kinda like I think I do on regular paper, then there were brushes in there for rendering and I mix and match as I go.

Though it's weird. There's 2 thought processes I'm realizing. For my comic I think in outline, when I'm working from imagination and laying in my figure, thinking from outline, composing what I make first with the basic shapes and line, then building up. With these figure drawings though that I'm practicing, the less I find myself placing emphasis on line.

------------------------------------------------

Ok not much done today, yesterday I did some quick figure studies, more so working on a kind of gestural type thing. I find basically I look at something, then focus on details and enlarge it unconsciously. Going to start working on that more to fix it.

But anyways did some quick sketches but didn't save them, wasn't really focused on recording as much as just practicing.

The only one I saved was just this little thing. Which it wasn't even done. There's things off here and there. Ignore the lack of face and the censoring I put there for Facebook to show friends, but they have kids so ya know. Kind of found it funny though. Might censor my figure drawings more like that. Just for the quirkyness.

Name:  creepy copy2.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  107.3 KB

Once again I'm trying to spark my comic interest more though. But it's just a long and tiring process doing it alone.

Then I decided I'm going to do little mini frame comics of my favorite video game deaths. Maybe apply some of my practice with laying out lines quickly. So this is the start of the lines for the first frame I'm doing for the death of Melfice in Grandia 2. An old Dreamcast game I loved.

Name:  melfice copy.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  143.6 KB

Thanks
    Good work on the studies, keep it up
    Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to adamsimons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,169 Times in 4,218 Posts
    When you talk about being rusty with pencils, I find that the more traditional stuff I do the better my digital stuff gets. You have to think harder.

Nice armour.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ adamsimmons
    Thanks!

@Black Spot
    Yes, I can definitely agree with that.
    Mainly it's just working up the drive to get out the scanner
    Then I'm less likely to go back and fix mistakes. But I am trying to think more beforehand and get my gestures and lines right the first time around more, so pencils may be the right route for that.

--------------------------------------------------

Ok, I don't have much to update, because there has been a shit storm recently. Almost lost our house (still might at some point), had stuff with sisters health to deal with, thought I got bit by a tick and was worrying about if I was going to get lymes or not. (A simple tick is why my sister has been in a bed for over a year, even worse there is so much corruption regarding lymes, the insurance company is barely covering anything, so it's costing a fortune)

Not exactly an environment you want to draw in. Been one of the most stressful weeks in a long time.

I guess this quick doodle is fairly reflective towards those feelings. I like to vent when drawing at times. I'll just call it the Hulk or something, because I don't know I just was jotting lines down quick without thought listening to music trying to relax.

Name:  hulk2.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  347.2 KB

Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things, since things are semi stable at the moment, but things are still feeling a bit shaky. So might not get back into any sort of serious stuff for a bit.

Thanks
    Things are still pretty tense, but I'm going to try to at least do something every day even if it's just from imagination and I don't have the drive to think/study.

Name:  Leaving the cave2.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  167.4 KB

Quickie for the night. I'll call it leaving the cave or something. Friend said maybe he's entering the cave since there isn't really a sky, that it's just white inside.

Hell if I know lol. Though realize the way I cropped it, it didn't show the circle in the entrance so it looks like the world is slanted.
    Last edited by JFierce; February 10th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.

Thanks
    Going to submit todays practice a bit early.
    Trying to force myself to do some studies, need to fix a huge weakness.

I have a bad bad habit of when doing something, to draw without organization and my figures go out of the boundaries and enlarge more than I want. So working on constructing boundaries then quickly building what I see properly inside those borders.

Not really focusing on anything else besides getting the proportions generally right and keeping scribbles down to a minimum.

Name:  Untitled- co.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  139.1 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Going to submit todays practice a bit early.
    Trying to force myself to do some studies, need to fix a huge weakness.

I have a bad bad habit of when doing something, to draw without organization and my figures go out of the boundaries and enlarge more than I want. So working on constructing boundaries then quickly building what I see properly inside those borders.

Not really focusing on anything else besides getting the proportions generally right and keeping scribbles down to a minimum.

Name:  Untitled- co.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  139.1 KB
    This is a great idea, though I think you should scribble as much as is necessary to get the job done. Lots of artsts work from super rough first drafts, or go through an endless number of thumbnail drawings before they ever get down to doing their first draft.
    Glen Keane is awesome for that- some of his roughs are look like they were done with a 4 inch house brush - but his final drawings (like the transformation sequence from Beauty and the Beast) are perfect.

You don't use it you lose it, gonna try to get it back.

In your earlier posts, like the illustrator stuff, your stuff has a much more finished quality than your rendered stuff- because it's quite polished.
    Your rendered work is currently a bit muddy. If you can get your hands on some Scott Robertson dvd's I found them super helpful for cleaning up my rendering. (still working on it lol)
    All your sequential stuff is looking great- Storyboarding was one of my worst subjects so I have a tonne of respect for people with an eye for it. I think it's just a matter of your technical skills catching up so keep up those studies
    & happy sketching.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,169 Times in 4,218 Posts
    I know what it's like when other matters get in the way of drawing. Keep strong - family is more important than art, although some of the greats would argue about that. Being human is a strength, not a weakness. Draw to entertain your family if nothing else.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast