Sketchbook: Stuff - Page 17
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome man!!! i love your art! especially the way you render your pencils

Last edited by Gannicus; June 16th, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gannicus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really liked your CHOW entry no matter what other people said. The colours sort of did it for me. Also there is a menace in the face which cannot be ignored. And as for the other works, I think that you ought to do more in the line of the mask(off?) man, I mean, the style. It has a very French comic feel, for me.

As far as the Nathan Fillion study is concerned, I think that you did a very good job, captured the feel perfectly. Who cares whether it is a WIP? In my opinion, it shouldn't be worked on any more. This effect is more in-the-moment.

Do keep posting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aishani For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the rendering on that movie still(?) is re-donk-u-lous. The chow is cool aswell, however i would like to see more movement and perspective in the colour version, maybe give an idea of his posture, but saying that if hes flying maybe its harder to comunicate. anyways rad pencils as always, keep at it!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man i love your pencils. I agree with shinin about the chow though. But the rendering looks good. And Always a pleasure discussing about art with people who do art! So i am in! Keep them coming.

sense of purpose
    my sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sin eater For This Useful Post:

monstertree is offline They look so good that's why I keep 'em in the front Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff in the last post, would like to see you use some more saturated colours to offset the more muted ones - I always think of it like adding some higher saturation amongst desaturated colours really accentuates your actual use of saturation or lack thereof in an image (hope that made sense!)
    Anyway, I think you're past getting advice off me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to monstertree For This Useful Post:

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmmm, man the update looks and you know that, since I mentioned it our chat, maybe, I should start commenting here first and then take it up in chat, and then maybe post the chats later here. That can get the ball rolling a bit, I remember when dirtyC and rodrigo would post their chats in their sketchbooks, that was some good shit.

As for the critiques, I personally like your chow, but like the ortho drawing more. They are more playful. Your sense of line is getting better, its scary let me tell you.
    The Chow will not win you any fans or votes that easily, since we have discussed, people like spreadshots, whole figures standing cool or doing some actions and ornamentation helps.
    But if you forget that its a CHOW or someother shit, then one can really appreciate your composition and rendering skills.
    And another I had mentioned is that study guys like John Jude Palencar, Donato Giancalo, people who make pictures and use paint as tool for those images, rather than people whose paint application is around the core of their image building.
    I dig the second last work a lot man, I really like that direction that you take time after time. So keep going on that front.
    About the fact that we should discuss more art in the SBs, I agreee, but so much of the energy goes out in pushing your sketchbook through the traffic and other things it becomes hard to discuss art. But lets make an effort, and why not. Right?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bhanu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by monstertree View Post
    Nice stuff in the last post, would like to see you use some more saturated colours to offset the more muted ones - I always think of it like adding some higher saturation amongst desaturated colours really accentuates your actual use of saturation or lack thereof in an image (hope that made sense!)
    Agreed.

your stuffs are interesting. You could upgrade your skills to express them more accurately.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to untier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow, I totally miss the part about making friends here. I do sometimes feel that way too, especially with posting on sketchbooks. It's like having a conversation with one line every ten days.

Well, if you want to add me on skype, just search for aaron.hahaha . Would be happy to have a chat sometimes. And I did collabs with a few people around here. Would be happy to try that again sometime too.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice work and progression dude ,keep em comin'
    and good to see another Indian artist here

18. The Following User Says Thank You to razen_sketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

So this sketchbook is where all the other bharatiyas are hanging out. I see a few faces new to me

I've been stalking your work for awhile I had no constructive critique to give. Aaand still don't, maybe someday when I better my artwork. Till then, keep up the awesomeness! Hope you do find time to post often.

I agree with what you said.. Also makes me wonder if I'd have worked on my art more if I had a few friends active around here..

I read that you're a student of history, is that as part of a BFA degree or is history your main subject?

Hello! I'm trying to improve my artwork and I really could use your critique - S k e t c h b o o k

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, great updates! I like the creepy atmosphere of the study and the pencil sketches are also great. And the mask thingy character made me laugh, so random Cheers mate, keep rocking!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom van der Linden For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The chess one. Don't tell me it was finished!

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN, yeah, I know what you mean about the CHOW. It's an ancient piece by now, but I guess even back then the mask like face was intentional. Notice how there's not a wrinkle on the body otherwise? And its true that I need to update my sketchbook more frequently. I really do need to get to that.

Incinerated, ah, okay. Thanks for dropping by!

Aaron_, I'll keep that in mind. Glad you like the rest of the works.

Umbravita, yeah, that's good for you. I'm here for almost five years now, and I have made one extremely close friend.

HunterKiller_, that was one episode in Castle. The theme was, as you can guess, zombies. I hear you about the flat-on compositions.

p sage, it would be cool to meet you too.

NickyBeats, ah, I'll drop you a Facebook invite then. Thanks for the kind words!

Kungfoowiz, hey long time. How are you these days?

LtPlissken, too generous, as always. Thanks a lot for dropping by, I appreciate it more than you know.

Gannicus, thanks.

Aishani, here I am.

Chris Sanders, hey thanks man. I agree about the CHOW.

sin eater, thanks for the kind words Zubin!

monstertree, hah ha, are you kidding? I don't think I'll ever be past getting advice from you. It's always a privilege. I'll keep it in mind.

bhanu, it's true about trying to manage traffic. But I like it. It's good to be part of an active forum. But yeah, wish it would get out of my way when I'm trying to have a conversation, though.

untier, thanks, I guess that applies always.

Aaron_, are you kidding? I would love to do a collab with you.

razen_sketch, thanks! Your works are cool as well.

Sharon J, welcome to the light, then. Don't worry about skill levels when critiquing, please. Just go nuts with it. I appreciate it. And History is my main subject.

Tom van der Linden, thanks!

Black Spot, yes, it was a teaser. They hired a different guy for the main issues. As a matter of fact, those teaser pages never got published.

It's funny that after I said I would attempt to update this sketchbook every week, I disappeared for more than four months. But sometimes life just deals you a tough hand and your plans seem to fall apart. I suppose that's the way it always is, and one has to grit one's teeth and move on.

As far as art is concerned, I realized that I simply can't do something that I don't enjoy. I had always looked up to (and still do) the 'five star' artists here on CA and tried to be like them, right from my late school years. So, to be them, I had draw what they were drawing. Which usually involved ogres and monsters (there's one in this update, too), and a lot of nude figure studies. Now, I still enjoy studying, and drawing the odd monster, but I realize that I'm never going to be a concept artist. That is simply not a career choice that I am going to make. Rather than following the 'CA style', I need to draw that which feels relevant to me. That which affects me, things that are around me; and maybe by doing that, I can affect them back in my own way. Hell, the only 2012 video game I've played is Sleeping Dogs. But I listen to music, I draw, I hang out with my girlfriend, I walk around my city and these things are part of what constitutes me. I think I would like to explore the medium of comics. I feel it is something where there's still scope to contribute, no matter how little. Or maybe I'll end up drawing a lot more monster concepts. Hell, who knows. Life and plans, right?

Anyway, it's three thirty in the morning here, and any more ranting can be severely detrimental to my health. So, the first three images of this update is a 3-page comic I did for my university's comic magazine. I don't think they're publishing it. I'm having that kind of a year. The comic is in Bengali, that too a rural dialect. So I'm including a (terrible) translation which really does no justice to the kind of phrases that I've used here, which are quite idiosyncratic to the specific dialect.

Translation:

Page1:

Yeah, I did see him (this can be 'she' or 'that' as well).

His head was this big.

What are you saying--

Do you think I would know him?

Page 2:

It's a burden, getting to know people.

I saw him at night.

How did he look?

Something--

Page 3:

He looked like a note.

A crisp hundred rupee--

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by Vritra; October 28th, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Sketchbooks

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Vritra For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You do that!!!Really like the panels. Do what you love because otherwise its not gonna work, so i guess its great that you realised that. Cant wait to see more panels
    Lets both keep up mate

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vritra View Post
    What I'm trying to say is, that I'd love to have a more verbose conversation than, 'dig your works' - 'thanks for dropping by'. I feel like over the last four years, I've hardly come to know anybody on this forum. And that's weird, given that I've received - what? - a hundred odd comments at least on my sketchbook, and from people who have all signed up on a forum called 'conceptart'. Hell, talk about common interests. It's strange that the only times I've talked about art in this sketchbook with other people is when I thanked people for crits. I've never actually had a conversation with anyone here, not even about art! I don't know why that makes me sad.
    I know -exactly- how you feel.

In my experience the whole INTERNET (Even the offline world) is like that, you see all this stuff, all these supposedly common interests, but nobody TALKS. There's no connections, no relations no nothing. Just empty fluff (AKA 'small talk'), the occasional interchange between people, petty fights and trolling.

Sometimes I imagine being on Mars surrounded by Martians who don't speak the same language, hey! Talk, you know T-A-L-K Tee Ay Ell Kay English motherfucker do you speak it? Sad truth is I've gotten more conversation from Chinese farmers on World of Warcraft than with the actual players of the game. People just don't like to talk. And they especially don't like to get to know someone.

It makes you sad because it IS sad.

Oh, and of course the ones who do talk are always the ones who don't have interest anywhere close to my own, and they won't shutup!!! It's a frustrating existence.

Last edited by Little Auwnja; October 27th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Auwnja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This has been a long-awaited update, no kidding. Most of the stuff I've already seen before and told you how I feel about them. But seeing all of them together here gives me a better picture of how your art is shaping up. As I've already told you countless times, it is the 'feel' or the personal engagement with a work which makes it worth doing, at least for me. This particular update has your 'feel' stamped on it, and that's what I like about it. The fleshy ogre face, I think, marks a new high for you.

The last comic is new and I love it. That shade of ochre does it. Oddly reminds me of the blues in Fun Home. Also, I was looking at the Anthology last night, and yours looks like it could fit in easily.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Aishani For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Vritra,

Consider the stories you want to tell, your outlook, the things you want to communicate and can't in so many words.

These are the things that can drive you to do storytelling through your pictures.

You're well on your way down that path, IMO. But be true to yourself, too. Determination can take you down the wrong path; just keep your goals in mind and hack through the jungle between you and them. You can do it

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah sure man, just add me on skype or PM me or something.

It's great to see you exploring your personal stuff, the comics definitely feel inspired. The drawings are solid, but composition-wise, I feel you could use more shots where you pull out and show more of the body. But actually, probably not, I can't say I know a lot about comics.

And I do feel the same thing with personal works. There are stuff I want to do that's definitely not the usual CA stuff, and probably completely un-marketable as well. But oh well, it's just me.

The last face is absolutely bloody awesome BTW.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron_ For This Useful Post:

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing hatchings and storyboards.

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

38. The Following User Says Thank You to iven For This Useful Post:

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bro, yknow what I think of most of the work here, but let me just reiterate.
    That three page story is haunting, from the reflection in the lady's glasses to the blurred face of the man to....the inkblots, that shit's real man. I also talked about the textural quality of the work in those pages as well as a physical sense of zoom in-outs, the way you explore the grain of paper and inkbetween is interesting to the way zooming in can work in comics. Love it. Hope the paragraph made sense.
    I love the rest of the stuff as well, the faceless man, the papers flying around.
    And that second last page- the comic, man, that looseness in the line and the comic shows me about the future of comics, and the future looks kickass.

Some serious love to you my main man.
    Great work!!!!
    Keep at it.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bhanu For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm for you that you've found your path.
    As the exchange of information and the breaking down of traditional notions are ever increasing in this age, I feel that art has emerged from it's reclusive shell to become a trendy thing.

Trends are a torrent that sweep up all those unaware, and even those who are. It's no longer a time when an artist steps out into the unknown to begin their own journey, but instead to jump en mass into the rushing river.
    The struggle is not now to find water of inspiration in a desert of solitude, but to survive the drowning river and escape to a barren canvas.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Those panels are lovely. I'm going to name my hair Einstein.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As i have told you before, the comic panels are awesome. Love those pencil strokes. That monster is just bad ass. Oh and them horns D:.
    Something about the man with closed fists and paper flying is really interesting. Great tones. Does it have a story to it?

sense of purpose
    my sketchbook

46. The Following User Says Thank You to sin eater For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    amazing job on the rendering in the top one!! wow! really reminds me of Giovanni Civardi's pencil works with a bit of wes burt maybe ha. but damn it looks fine!!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

48. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    those comics are really excellent!

"Consider the stories you want to tell"

yeah man.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, no worries, jus draw what you like drawing =) The comics are sublime, damn that shading is too good haha! =)

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 2,424 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Never indulging power of eternal high type of skyline flame could
    be felt over and through your ďHundred RupeeĒ comic. You captured
    the meaning and essence of something that is hard to capture, rarely performable
    act at itís highest point and peak. When you discover a magical and hidden whimsical
    way like this, you should always keep it as a blueprint for your other deeds, and you
    should never share give the secret recipe to anyone. I am amazed, and surprised,
    a double barreled variation of positive shock, full of euphoric emotions, happy
    dazed thoughts through my small minded maze. Life dealt you a tough hand, but
    you didnít gave up, thatís the most important, you came back and shared.
    No matter how the storm is strong, how the weather becomes merciless,
    you will always plant strong roots, and go against the roughest and toughest.
    No rain can wash away your true warrior stripes. Concept artist or not a concept
    artist, whichever path you chose, it will be an unique path, an unique path
    for a unique special person like you are. Success is guaranteed, and failure
    is and never was an option. Good to know that you are here, your
    spirit is making a difference, turning a dark shaded slate,
    to a bright lighted beautiful shiny golden plate.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

54. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, you have progressed so much since I last saw your sketchbook! The variety of lines and textures in that last post is astounding! It makes me wish you'd post an English translation. Keep going!

56. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for stopping by my sketchbook.

I appreciate what you said about not just following "CA style". I've tried to do that since I've been here, but it always left me stressed out and feeling completely unhappy with my art, and I never quite realized why until I read your post just now. So - thank for saying that.

Anyway. That comic is beautiful, the combination of sharp detail in some panels and fuzzy indistinctness in others have a lot of emotional impact, event though I can't understand the dialogue.

58. The Following User Says Thank You to Clur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for the nice comment on SB.

Your previous post was really inspiring, sometimes I don't really know if I like painting the kinds of things I do, or if I'm just doing it because I feel it's what I think I want and whats expected of me.

Anyway, digging the comic panels, they feel really fresh and unique. Continue on that path and do what you love doing.

60. The Following User Says Thank You to gerezon For This Useful Post:

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2