sore arm?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: sore arm?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sore arm?

I've been drawing lately and noticed my arm and wrist of my writing hand been kind of sore now. I'm not sure if it's because I'm holding pen wrong or I just need to get used to it? I know in the past I grip my pen quite tightly and I'm trying to relax it now when I notice it happening. Anyone know anything about this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fap...Fap..Fap

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Important Stuff

You age and profession will eventually catch up to you. When I finally went to see a physical therapist (insurance covered) the doctor looked at me and said your in great shape, this would of happened to you much earlier.

My wrist, forearm, elbow, shoulder, neck all taking a toll at being in from of a computer for hours and hours loving every moment of it. This is what works best for me. I have to work out A LOT so that I don't hurt! The stronger I am in my body the less I stress and strain my body with such inhuman work as sitting.

I start out with a hot shower or hot tub at the gym. Usually try to work out 3 - 4 times a week. I take a cross circuit training class with a cute instructor, 45 minutes of loud music and a serious workout of weights and cardio. I also do yoga and stretch at home (take a yoga class now).

When I am doing a big deadline, I use a timer and set it to 15 minutes. When it goes off I do one yoga stretch or a set of weights. Get a 8 or 10 lb. set of weights and a large workout ball, this is great to use at home. Basically I need to keep my arms, shoulders, and upper back strong.

The sore arm thing will only get worse with wear and tear. Seeing a chiropractor and massage person is also very helpful. Great reason to be an art warrior, take care, good luck, keep strong.

~M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do a lot of things wrong whenever I work. I don't even notice what I'm doing wrong until it starts hurting. In 3d class this year, my arm hurt so badly whenever I spent a long time making lines with the ruler. Finally I had the teacher watch me to figure out what I was doing, and she found out I was unintentionally bending my elbow backwards every time I held down the ruler. Once I held my elbow the right way I was fine.

I'm double jointed though, so this doesn't apply to normal people.

When I draw, I have the habit of looking to the left of my paper while I draw with my right hand. I don't know why I automatically do this, because it's painful to my neck. I have to remind myself to look to the right as I draw with my right hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take it seriously. Learn about RSI. Learn about strengthening and stretching and taking breaks. Keep current on what you can do to make your career as long as it should be. I already know guys that have retired WAY too early - from drawing desks and keyboards.

Active Release Therapy has helped me in the past. It's a particularly painful massage technique that (If I remember right) breaks up scar tissue that forms between the fascia and muscle tissue. I was skeptical, but the results were great for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea, for workout music, you basically need hard-hitting euro-dance music.... nothing else does the job really. Search around on itunes for "euro club hits" or check this link: http://electricfilebox.com/tracks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vyliss you need to incorporate exercise into your week. Take breaks every hour and walk around for a few mins, move your fingers and arms around don't sit in a fixed position for hours.

Most importantly, EXERCISE with free weight. Stretching is OK....but only after weight bearing exercises.

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan juju
    I don't know what happend to guys like you gruve24, but whatever it is, it sure has a way of destroying hearts...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.