Sketchbook: TEH happy place

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TEH happy place

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TEH happy place

gonna try keeping up a sketchbook here.
    because its more fun if you can show your stuff to people comments welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ashess; December 7th, 2007 at 03:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 more. from ref. looking at cloth texture here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just posting now and then in hope some grand master of drawing will take a look in on my drawings and give me those golden tips that get me to a next level

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright, Im gonna play along with blinkythemouse's radical new mentoring thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=113573
    altough hes got no room for me he said he's willing to stop by here and give comments if hes time allows. so, yay!
    the assignment is to design a rogue knight. first step is to gather research images. I've started with the more obvious, and tried to branch out from there. here's what I got:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi good luck with your assignement.
    Nice sketches to start, did you use ref for the first one? the legs look a little twisted in relation to the torso.
    keep it up.
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi voraz! thanks for stopping by.
    no, I didnt use ref for the first 1 (did for 2nd, third is from life)..
    now that you mention it, I should have another look at it. I know I had a bit of trouble with the torso/ thighs the first time around too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its good to see you got your jucies flowing with loads of reference. but this is a mistake ive made alot and often still make. youve got simply too much reference. and much of it is not applicable. the lego dude? the kids in costumes? the coffins with vampires? much alot of the reference looks good but loads of it is just gonna get in the way of your thoughts and muddle you up.

cut this list down to 15-20 pieces of reference. only the best stuff. i understand that youre not sure whether you want this dude to ride a horse, bear, elephant, camel or moose or something. but get more specific. think a bit more about this character. wheres he gonna live? and based on that, what animals are in the climate that he could ride? although youre only supposed to look at reference now i will allow looking at animal reference in the sketching phase so that youve got proper anatomy for them. otherwise, try and decide on an animal now and study that. itll help your final piece to focus a little more now.

sometimes loads of reference is great tho, it keeps your mind going in loads of directions, but i feel alot of this reference is either repetitive, or useless (a little girl sitting in a dress?). these images wont help your ideas. if you want alot of reference, make sure its heavily varied and really good/inspirational. once you get 20 pieces of reference, if you want to add more make sure its something you are completely in love with. and if you love that, toss something else in the pile out that you dont love. otherwise you simply cant keep track of all this stuff in your head.

but good job dude! now start drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for stopping by blinky!
    and so soon too.
    I admit that I hadnt tought on the character at all yet. I've made a choice; I'm edging toward desert, though I've kept the wave. I would like to have a little metal in the uotfit, but mosly leather and cloth.
    As much as I'm tempted to stay with a horse as a mount.. Ive decided to go for a dog. I draw too many horses as is
    I love the animal harnasss ^^ gonna put some work into that I think. and then dog anatomy. thought I'd like it to be a striped dog; like the kitten picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first one is pretty nice! I like the idea a lot I'm looking forward to what you'll come up with in the character design workshop! Its really hard to make a good comment when there is only two drawings to comment on. I hope you understand the lack of criticism

Best
    Henning

Henning Sanden

- Portfolio

- Sketchbook

henning.sanden[at]gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guilemo. I'd post more. but the things I've made lately just dont seem worth the trouble of uploading. not so much bad as.. uninspired. well, that and bad i guess Oo.
    only the assignment. I started out with the kitty armor. I really like the segmented feel of it. trying to get the gold to actually shine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for not stating this sooner, but ive decided fully, i would prefer if you study the design of that armour more then rendering its material. we'll cover stuff like that later but a believable black and white character is way better then a wonderfully rendered meaningless cliche.

its a pretty good start on that study, but i can tell you dont have a load of knowledge about how that object is reflecting light and its surroundings, which is totally fine, its complicated. but right now i dont want you to worry about colour too much. maybe when we come to the refinement stage but for now, dont worry about it. turn that image to black and while to help yourself ignore the colour information and show you just the form.

check out my post in the mentor thread for more info, good progress tho! keep it up and i might be able to bring you in sooner then later since ive heard nothing from the other dude. but youll have to earn that seat! keep goin!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DanJohnCox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not a problem. I wanted to look at the structure anywya. and the colors did distract. I got a little caught up rendering the chainmail, but I hope thats ok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks good! keep goin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks
    uhm, I spent all day behind my computer yesterday, so I took up an animal anotomy book instead and worked from that a bit. 1st is from reference, 2nd not. I think I need to find some front views too. espec for the back leg, which is a little different from what I thoughy (big buldge under the actual knee-joint), but this book didnt have them. looking up front views in the other book, I think that did have them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im real glad youre checking reference for the dog the way you are. muscle anatomy is great. but i think your limited knowledge of human anatomy is holding you back. this study doesnt feel like useful knowledge for the most part. honestly, musclular knowledge is important to say the very least. but studies like this arent going to give you that knowledge so well. i would much prefer you do skeletal studies of this animal, and study the forms that exist on the body with the skin on. you can delve deeper when you have more time. but youll need better knowledge of muscles to handle this kind of study quickly.

given what you need to present, bones and the surface are what will do you best right now. getting too caught up in muscles will only bog you down in my experience. so leave the skin on for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, if you say so, ill try and do more photo ref. the skeleton did finally explain that knee-joint, which I always found so odd. (I used to think the knee joint was under that big knee-buldge)
    anyway, had a lot of stuff to do. project, parties. same old, same old. but didnt have the ref material on me at those trips either. I gotto get my printer fixed I guess!
    Did to 2 this evening. finally!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ps. the dog gave me some trouble. I have trouble making out how the armor is put together from the photo. I think its plastic maybe. like I said. cant really tell..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ugh! first day at my new job.. and it was great, but really tiering. so, I only did 2 more today. first 3 are from yesterday. I think I'll focus on doing a few more girls (I think my knight will have to be a girl OO), and then move on to sketching.

ps- hope I didnt sound annoyed with your pointers blinky. I am very thankfull for them. its just that any mention of anotomy seems to push a switch with me lately. with all the work and study I've put into it, you'd think I'd be improving :p but that doesnt seem to be so. Its really bugging me .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, I drew one more page, and then I kinda wanted to start on the silouettes. I think I know the direction I wanna go. my rogue knight will be a woman traveling the desert. on an african wild wolf. primary drive: money and jewels! meh I'll not get into more details, unless its needed.
    heres my last sketches, and 2 pages of silouettes. I just kindof made paintblodges, then with ink and pencil looked for a figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you've got a good start here. One suggestion I might add, when doing animal studies like the ones you've been doing, would be to sketch out the three main forms first, generally as ovals or squares. Once you've got the positioning of the forequarters, midsection, and hindquarters, it will be much easier to add everything else.

Keep it up though, your stuff is looking good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comment pyro. I tried thinking on them while doing these latest.

the last two are somewhat more detailed looks into 2 figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    neat designs man, i like where youre going here. start doing some thought on the big shapes youll see in the clothing. youve got the neck part showing which is good, now start thinking about the rest and implementing it. dont get too hung up on the pose right now unless it helps you grasp the feel of the character better. but these are a good start!

as for being pissed about my anatomy smack talk, suck it up bucko! i'm gonna give ya straight goods, and when critiquing i dont often like sugarcoating problems. doesnt help you, and takes me longer to explain, which no one wants.
    muscular anatomy isnt easy dude, and i'm sure youve studied it hard but you need REAL instruction on muscles. singular images will do you no good unless you have an understanding of where the muscles attach and what they do specifically. at least the superficial ones. im not insulting you, i was in your exact same spot a little over a year ago. then i got real instruction and everything became much clearer. however i only learned human anatomy. but thats what will help you understand animal anatomy and decipher what all those masses are and which ones are important to you.

if you wanna give yourself a better chance to learn some hardcore anatomy, pick up "The atlas of human anatomy for artists" and "The Anatomy of Movement". each one is great, but together theyre a perfect start for anatomy instruction. see if you can download em online or find someone who has it, borrow it and photocopy it.

my only critcism was that i felt you were taking on too much with that study and it would end up not benefiting you as much. but feel free to disagree! and call me a twat moron if you want. i wont sugar coat stuff for you, so dont feel you gotta be nice to me. im not critiquing you cause you seem nice. im doing it cause youre workin and deserve it

and oh yeah, its early in the sketches but make sure your dog is larger then normal, or the girl is little. some of the drawings im concerned the dog is a little too small compared to the girl.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and thans again for taking all this time blinky! I really appreciate it!
    and im not sensative so thats fine. your prolly right about the anathomy not helping, 'course I can translate it into 3d quite yet.
    I'm definitely willing to put more work into the anathomy. this stuff's my work, if not my life anyway, I looked through my lib and found Atlas of human anathomy for the artist. ( one of the once I havent really studied yet :/ I like buying drawing books) the other one is a bit harder. is this the one?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0939...18#reader-link
    it doesnt seem to be based on the reviews. some kind of yoga book or something it seems.

anyway, back to the designs, having a great time making them!
    I'll start figuring more on her; I think I have enough random shapes now to sketch. the dog is a little small, I know. it gives a funny effect, but I prolly shouldnt go for that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this is awesome, Im tempted to have a go at this project myself if no one minds. It really seems like its helping you progress and youre getting some great advice no doubt. With the dog studies It would be cool to see some more volume to them rather than just being made of lines, also I dont think some more human studies would hurt. Great progress though, some of your thumbnails are looking really promising and I love the concept of the character!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Matt! glad to see your all excited ^^ yes I am having fun. ye I think I need more ppl. wanted to go to the zoo today and draw some wild dogs. it was too cold out though. meh this spring I guess.
    I dont know if blinky has the time to stop by another 'by-blow-mentee", but if you'd like I'd be happy to stop by and look at your stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I did some tought on clothing and shapes. first didnt turn out to well, so I took a rougher pencil. that helped somewhat. the last is with a mount.. but they're not turned out too well. that what I get for drawing the dog, then thinking I should put the rider on..

at least I know what to focus reasearch on again.. tassels, bedouin style jewelry, and wild dogs.. will you believe my mom owns a bedouin horse-tack? gotto borrow it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wild dogs. from the web- ye I should go to the zoo and do it for real.. but it really is too cold to sit outside and draw right now~!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last 4 today sillouettes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some skullz practice. still gets hard when inventing perspectives. oh well :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh. getting annoyed with these skullz again.
    they all look the same, but I cant get the perspective to work in any.
    if any1 has any ideas how to improve on this, I'd be really obliged.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.