I really need feedback

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I really need feedback

this is my first post, I spent about a day and a half working on this, it is my first painting with a background, and it probaably shows all of my inexperience, and i know the problems with compostition but if there are any awesome artists who can give me feedback I would be eternally grateful. I know that the only way to get better is to paint so I work hard every day. I will post a sketchbook with my life drawing stuff and loose sketches also.

edit- the piece I posted had horrible compostition so I took it down

Last edited by Lynus; December 1st, 2007 at 12:26 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Welcome to CA!

Now, for the nitty gritty - I'll post my initial impresssions and allow others with MUCH more experience do their thang.

First of all, the background looks much fuzzier than the characters - the characters do not look like they are a part of the entire environment. If you get my meaning.

Another thing - all the action is moving to the left. And takes place at the bottom of the piece so from the center to the right there's really nothing to create a balance.

With that, the rhythm or flow of the piece is lacking and so your eye just doesn't "travel". Which of these characters should be the central focus? What story are you trying to tell with this picture?

So, with that - is all I've got.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doh, you kinda confirmed what I knew already. thnx though, it helps to hear it from someone else, I was thinking about putting a chandelier or another soldier up the stairs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the story kinda looks like the knight in gold is fighting his way up the stares to the bad guy in the shadow. am i right ??? if so, for an idea, instead of adding a chandalear, why not change the view more so up the stares, as if someones looking up the stares from the left side of the stares, this way the main focus is imedieatly on the knight, and focusing up to the bad guy. and i think it would look better if the scary guy ontop the stares were in more of a "allright hes almost here im ready to pull his hair" mood instead of "come on man, i have to home in twenty mins to do laundry or mammas gonna hurt me" mood. other than that and what was already mentiond i like it, it reminds me of F.F.T.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The biggest problem, the thing that's really holding this back is communication. All over the board, it's a real chore to figure out what's going on.

Overall Composition: For some reason I'd rather hover my eyes over the orange patch on the wall than the characters. There's so much dead space with the characters crammed to the edge it's hard on the eyes.

Scene: At first it looked like a party of people looking over the stairs, then I realized that the golden guy is against the rest. Why did it take me so long? Because the blood is so faint on goldy's sword and the blood on the bad guy is going in an opposite direction.

Bad guy: The only thing that makes him bad is his black armor, but he looks like a wuss. Two little red eyes that are looking up almost innocently, his arms set to his sides like he's a little child that's bored.

I think top to bottom you need to redo this and really think about how to construct it. Who's important? Who isn't? Who's the strongest? Who's the weakest? Who's afraid of who? You have to think about these things and then think about ways to achieve them. It always helps to make sure that key elements (blood) are represented clearly (bright and reads well, in correct direction)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol bri, rhine, you two are so right about everythign you said. I totally agree. Also, your comments had me laughing on the floor, concerning the guy on the top of the stairs. He might as well be playing tetris or doing a crossword puzzle so, i probably can't salvage the image but i learned a lot, and maybe you might be interested in seeing it cropped down.
    also , i uploaded the other paintings I've done this week. I really tried to be disciplined and work hard to improve my art outside of class.[IMG]I really need feedback[/IMG]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [IMG]I really need feedback[/IMG]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm anatomy, composition, and lighting are you main problems here, and then there is colour as well!

Your anatomy isn't awful (needs lots of work though ) But movement is a problem (your hero looks like he is about to start an attack, not finishing one)
    You knowledge of armour needs to studied (even if your are making it up) you have to see how it gets put together (which bit goes over which)

Lighting and composition are really dragging this down - at the moment the top 2/3 of this pic are pointless. It's just empty space for a shadowy, bored looking figure. All your action is in the bottom 1/3.

You have light coming in on the top 2/3 of the pic but its not affecting the bottom 1/3 at all.

I'd stop doing colour and work up a black and white version - thinking about light, form and action (directing the viewers eye to where you want them to look)

Here are your figures (mainly untouched) repositioned in the same frame, roughed up in b/w to show you.
    Hope this gets your mind working.

Attached Images Attached Images  

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap thats amazing. I'm speechless, thank you so much for taking the time do show me, I appreciate it so much bro! very inspiring. I'm goign to take your advice and work everything out in grayscale first, then you you get the lighting, then you can put in the colors last right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh one question, when i do it in grayscale, how do i add the colors to black in photoshop, just colorize it right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depends on your method of painting - you can do a grayscale, then colour it.
    Or you use the grayscale as your light/form information (basically a b/w rough) , then you start to paint using the b/w rough as a guide.
    Regardless if you get your 'values' right then everything should work. Though it depends on far you want to take the rough (to a finished level, or just a rough), as sometimes the actual painting can spawn really interesting things.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, thanks for taking the time to answer , btw i want to thank you but I don't know how, I'm a noob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Thanks' button in the bottom right hand corner of the persons post ....maybe if a get 100 thanks I get a free soda? who knows

or I take paypal (just kidding)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, hopefully I got you a little closer to your free soda personally, i enjoy root beer

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.