Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

The Truth About Bottled Water

I've been hearing more and more about the "bottled water issue"... being that much of the expensive bottled water actually comes from the municipal water supply... the same water that comes out of your tap/faucet. The "Alaskan Mountain water" doesn't come from Alaska or the mountains, "spring water" doesn't come from springs, and all sorts of other deceptive marketing schemes cooked up by water bottling companies... Not to mention the monumental amount of pollution being created by the discarded plastic bottles. Yes, you could recycle them in theory, but 86% of the bottles get thrown in the trash and end up in landfills or worse :/

I stumbled across this Penn & Teller vid about bottle water that puts things into a funny (and sad) perspective:

And I thought this was funny (taken from here):
    'One brand of 'spring water," reported the NRDC ... actually came from a well in an industrial facility's parking lot, near a hazardous waste dump, and periodically was contaminated with industrial chemicals at levels above FDA standards."
    Top 6 myths about bottled water here.

Interesting stuff....

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jessica Hook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yeah heard about this 3 years ago. I just boil my water now a days and then frig it. works fine for me
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    yeah heard about this 3 years ago. I just boil my water now a days and then frig it. works fine for me
    Huh, I need to try that. Tampa's water tastes like crap.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    not to mention all the energy it takes to transport that bottled water... AND the cheap plastic in those bottles actually leaches chemicals into your water regardless of how pure it is in the first place...and we all know there's a swirling mass of plastic in the pacific the size of Texas right?

It's easier to get fresh potable water from Fiji living in New York City than if you are a native inhabitant of the island itself. It's a new era of colonialism out there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yumiko View Post
    being that much of the expensive bottled water actually comes from the municipal water supply... the same water that comes out of your tap/faucet. The "Alaskan Mountain water" doesn't come from Alaska or the mountains, "spring water" doesn't come from springs....
    I'm actually more surprised that people believe that to begin with.... Thats like believeing there is actually fish in a McFish(or whatever its called..)

Thanks
    The taste assertion in the video isn't accurate. I've been around a few counties and tasted different tap and spring water, and depending on where you live you might really need to buy bottled water.

Some tap water is fine, some is excellent, some (like mine) is kinda funky but acceptable when chilled, some has a funny aftertaste to it, and some just sucks ass.

Kinda interesting how it works too. Here in Hannover there are two water supply sources as far as I know, with the north-east side of town getting their water from some forest spring, and the south-west side getting it piped in from the mountains in the south. My uncle in the western side has excellent tap water. My tapwater tastes a bit funky. Then again my sister, who is just a few minutes walk from me, has decent tasting tapwater. Guess ti depends on the pipes too.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    I'm lucky, where I live the tap water tastes great, I've always prefered it to the taste of bottled water around here

The only times I ever buy bottled water, it's those big 2 litre bottles and that's just so I can refill them from the tap when I'm done with them

Whenever I go on holiday though the tap water tends to taste awful so I have to rely on filters and bottled water

The freshest water I ever had though was when I climbed up ben nevis (a mountain in scotland) and drank straight from a stream up there, oh god it was so cold and refreshing

Thanks
    Oh great, and here I am drinking a bottle of Dasani. xD
    ~ '
    ~

Will update sometime soon.

Thanks
    florida water taste like A$$
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    The freshest water I ever had though was when I climbed up ben nevis (a mountain in scotland) and drank straight from a stream up there, oh god it was so cold and refreshing
    The chill can lie though. The real test is if it's still good when you've put it in a bottle and the sun has been heating it for an hour. If it still tastes great then you've got a keeper.

Was in San Marino in Italy a few years back, and after climbing up the streets to reach the castle the water from the fountains there was pure bliss. A few hours later after it had gotten nice and hot sitting in the car it tasted terrible.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    "What do you want to try? You want to try this? It sounds French."

I just love the way she says it. As if her date just took a severe blow to the head and isn't quite sure about making decisions for himself.
    ... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Nehalania View Post
    Oh great, and here I am drinking a bottle of Dasani. xD
    ugg i hate dasani. All i can taste is the sweetener in it.

Thanks
    Avoid tap water at all costs, especially fluoridated water which has very negative effects on your health.

The best solution is a reverse osmosis filter under your kitchen sink. I even have one on my shower, and yes you can actually feel the difference on your skin; its awesome. I think they even make one you install in your basement, which filters all water entering your home, but that can get pricey.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    i have a well
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    A well is luxury. Our tap water always tasted great, no need for bottled water except when you're not home and don't want sugar/coffe/whatever..

Though I can understand it has a market, most european countries I've visited has way to much iron or chlor (chlorine?) in their water. Tastes like craps
    Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - deviantart

Thanks
    I love my fluoridated, chlorinated, hard-as-a-rock, mineral-encrusted Southern California tap water. YUM!!!! I do buy Costco ice though. It's soo damn tasty to munch on

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    I'd be curious about the benefits of "filters" like Brita and such. The tap water I geet home is just fine, although the water at my previous workplace SUCKED because of God knows what but I suspect the aqueduc system or building pipes in that old part of Montreal.

Thanks
    I am glad i brought myself a reverse osmosis system to purify my tap water myself

I originally got it to purify the water to put into my salt water tank so the corals and fish didnt die because theyre extremely sensetive to the tiniest trace of copper..

I cant drink the tap water at work, it tastes like crap out of their purifier and it gives me really bad stomach aches.. I think it has something wrong with it..

Thanks
    We had a UV water filtration system installed a few years ago. Up until then, the water (we have a well) was undrinkable.

Undrinkable as in, you drink it and you'd get sick. BUT, we were told that we could still: brush our teeth, wash our clothes and dishes, shower/bathe and anything else with the same water we couldn't drink.

Thought that was...weird. We found the UV system, invested ($2,000 USD) and voila - we now have bottled (haha) water quality. We don't even bother with bottled water - and thank god for that.

We're doing everything possible to lower our environmental impact.

Thanks
    some tap water is nasty as fuck. Penn and teller are are like michel moore, they exaggerate to get their point across.

Thanks
    Nice watch

I always drink tap water, it taste great around here (I actually prefer it to most sodas), Denmark. I do buy it when I'm travelling, like when I was in Italy and France. Tap water there can contain bacteria, I as a Dane isn't used to, and it can make me sick. I also bought my water when I was in China, they said it wasn't even safe to brush teeth in the Shanghai water =/

Best tap water I've tasted was when I was in one of my friends' summer cottage, a little hut in a forest in Sweden. They had their own well, and OMIGOD that water was divine!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    There was a water scare here in ontario a while back. Forget where exactly. But needless to say, a few sick and dead people and presto, ontario water regulations are rabidly enforced, giving us nice tap water.

Thank you, dead people.

Thanks
    Water round here only taste crap between midnight and brushing your teeth in the morning again.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    hahah! that was hilarious. Those people looked like complete idiots, of course I might look like an idiot in that situation also, but then again I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go to a Restaurant that served just water.
    What's more disturbing is that we are using all that plastic for nothing, I mean even if a certain company does make better water, why not use Glass bottles?, because we are afraid we might cut our foot on a beach? paa shaa! I would rather cute my foot then have a slow deteriorating disease like Cancer, a cut on the foot would look pretty damn good at that point.
    Here is an article that is pretty disturbing but might wake you up to how bad it is, as Chingwa mentioned about landfills.
    Not sure if this was posted here already:
    http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Oce...lita1nov02.htm
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    I live on a rural acreage and have my own well. The water is good, and the water we drink goes through an RO filter. We get it tested at least once a year. We drink our own water in the house.

When we go out we usually take bottled water. We buy it in bulk from the nearest big box store, and the cost is around 20 cents a bottle. When the bottles are empty, we refill them from our RO filter. I've heard the "plastic leaching" stories, but good God, go to your neighbourhood grocery store and try to find something that ISN'T packaged in cheap plastic. Howcum bottled water is the only one where you get poisoned?

People critize bottled water because it's "wasteful", or it "commodifies' water. How about soft drinks? I'd guess that more than a bottled of water is used to produce a bottle of soft drink.

Bottled water is the issue du jour. Some folks really need to get a hobby!
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooly ESS View Post
    People critize bottled water because it's "wasteful", or it "commodifies' water. How about soft drinks? I'd guess that more than a bottled of water is used to produce a bottle of soft drink.

Bottled water is the issue du jour. Some folks really need to get a hobby!
    Water is a natural resource. Soda is not. That's the main difference - I can say that with certainty. But you are right, it takes an awful lot of water to produce soft drinks.

Thanks
    I hate how it's taboo to drink tap water now. Nobody uses the water fountain in my hall except when they want to dump paints.

Brita filters make a huge taste difference, and some bottled waters really do taste great. But generally it's not worth the trouble. Water's just water, it's not something you have to savor.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredGorilla View Post
    Avoid tap water at all costs, especially fluoridated water which has very negative effects on your health.

The best solution is a reverse osmosis filter under your kitchen sink. I even have one on my shower, and yes you can actually feel the difference on your skin; its awesome. I think they even make one you install in your basement, which filters all water entering your home, but that can get pricey.
    They put fluoride in the water so that your teeth don't rot.

Thanks
    Everyone being ripped off on a free natural resource.....man, those snake oil merchants have really done us good!

This seems like a good idea, from - http://www.nabuur.com/modules/resour...4&earlier=true

A cheap and effective alternative to boiling water and chorinating it.

1. Use transparent Polyethyleneterephtalate (PET) plastic bottles. (Hey, lots of those knocking around!)

2. Fill the bottles 3/4 full of water from a local water source. (make sure the water is not too muddy).

3. Shake the water in the bottle to aerate it. (The disolved oxygen helps in the purification process).

4. Then fill the bottle the rest of the way up with water and screw on the cap.

5. Place the bottle on a corrugated metal roof in strong sunlight for one full day.
    (The heating of the water and the ultraviolet (UVA) radiation together destroy the microorganisms that cause waterborne diseases.

Its ready to drink. Pass this on to any villages that could use this information.

You could also go with a carbon filter.
    Boiling is effective but uses energy in the process, so not efficient, costs gas and electricity, and you have to waste time keeping an eye on it, and the amount you boil is usually not sufficient in one go for a whole day unless you're heating a four litre pan.

In the western world most people don't need to drink bottled water. Our parents never did, and they drank from the same pipes. Don't waste your money and resources on bottled water, the local water companies have already done all that work for you so that it's potable and healthy. And you're paying taxes for that service already.
    Future generations will be laughing long and hard about this modern folly.

There's no reason anyone should be buying bottled water in the western world. I live in a third world country, we use a carbon filter for well water, and I am 100% healthy.

Let it sink in

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    What I don't understand is why so many people say that they just outright won't drink tap water because it's dirty.
    Ever heard of boiling water? You know? On the kettle? Oh, how about water purifiers? No?

EDIT: Watching these people get made asses of is highly entertaining.
    Last edited by HunterKiller_; November 30th, 2007 at 02:54 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo View Post
    I love my fluoridated, chlorinated, hard-as-a-rock, mineral-encrusted Southern California tap water. YUM!!!! I do buy Costco ice though. It's soo damn tasty to munch on
    Word... SoCal tap water is harsh. I could easily taste the difference between tap and bottled here. There's a lot more minerals like calcium and flouride in it, so much that you can feel them left in your mouth after you drink it.

The tap water does taste a lot better if you have a brita filter and its cold. Most bottled water taste pretty similar. I can't really tell the difference between brands.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast