Drawing on Illustration Board

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawing on Illustration Board

Hi, I'm new here, (well I've been lurking around for a bit now). I'll admit that I've been deathly afraid to post anything here because I take criticism too personally though I understand that it's all for the better. So I'm taking a step forward and asking you kind people here for help.

I'm currently in high school right now and I'm seriously thinking of going into an art college (though I still have yet to decide where or even what department to go into specifically). So, I'm trying to whip myself into making at least a decent portfolio and transition away from my horrible anime roots (very, very slowly transitioning). And I'm here to try and improve.

Below is my current WIP on a 11x15 piece of All Purpose Illustration Board (which likes to be a pain to ink on). I've attached some unleveled close-ups of things that I am having a bit of trouble with or the resizing just ruined on the bottom. Sadly, I made the mistake of starting to ink it already without receiving any feedback on it yet. Some mistakes that I've already noticed is that I made his left wrist (his left) too small so I'm going to try and fudge the line a bit later when I continue inking it. The tail feathers are heavily screwed up as I couldn't quite figure out the perspective, but it shouldn't matter too much since the wing feathers are going to cover most of it. Oh yes, I've also learned that I can't draw flowers at all, even with reference.

So any advice is appreciated, and let's not comment on my poor scanner or piecing together of the image. Please be gentle. I appreciate draw-overs more that text blocks (just because I find draw-overs a bit easier to understand at times).

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get Nicolaides, "The Natural Way to Draw" and go cover to cover. Study from life and draw anything that is real. Birds, human anatomy, a glass of water. If you really dedicate you will see massive improvement in your art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ConCrete View Post
    Get Nicolaides, "The Natural Way to Draw" and go cover to cover. Study from life and draw anything that is real. Birds, human anatomy, a glass of water. If you really dedicate you will see massive improvement in your art.
    I've never heard of that book, but I will look into it. Thanks for the title.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man this makes me nervous and I hoped it worked. Never uploaded something here.
    Name:  IllustrationBoardBig copy copy.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  306.6 KB

I did a draw over because you said they helped you more. His pose is a little awkward. I wasn't sure what his right leg and arm were doing, weather the arm was resting on the leg or not. I put the leg relaxing, and put his arm in a different pose. I think that position of the arm is easier to hold.

I dunno if the face helps at all, but I tried. I didn't try on the hands or feet because I was kinda too lazy to look for a reference. But you should look for some references because the feet are way too small and kinda... awkwardly shaped. They look too oval-y. Go find a good reference of some feet, or use your own.

For the ringthings in his costume, the perspective should be opposite of what they are right now. But they'd still be pretty close to the same length since they're not very far apart.

But yeah, just practice and you'll get better, you're def on the right track

(If anyone see's something I messed up on please feel free to correct me :/ )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, thank you very much. I find it a bit ironic about the eyes though, because generally everyone tells me that they're too big, so this time I tried to make them smaller and went a bit too far I guess. But I learn. And yes, the sash/belt part does help.

I was trying to draw based off of this pose: http://www.posemaniacs.com/blog/2006...t4_f_v0_h0.php if it's any reasoning behind the awkward pose. With the front leg still, I want to make it a bit higher but I seem to be having trouble with the perspective...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, seeing that image helps a lot.
    You had the legs and arms right, but they were simply too small for the upper body you drew.
    And for the perspective, the reference is taken more from a pretty low vantage point, while you kinda raised the perspective a little bit, but not by much.
    The site is pretty good, but nothing beats real life people

Foreshortening is very hard to grasp, so dont get too discouraged when trying to draw it. I'd advise getting a book on poses, or just taking pictures of yourself with foreshortened limbs. I dont know of any that are good :/ But if you ask around this forum there are def going to be people with suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the ideae of him letting the flowers drop to the ground from his hand while he's locking in another direction(if thats what he's doing) but if so.. he's facial expression could be a bit more like "damn! Love abandoned me" or something.. also.. It could be clearer the flowers are falling from he's hand if there were a few more flowers falling and maby some single leaves(I don't know what it's called, the small thingies on the flowers...) whatever.. more things falling..
    His legs and feet is tooo small,, yeah as the paintover says up there..
    that's all
    Good luck!!!

It's the sketchbook.. I don't get the html stuff
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84000

Download my Nintendo music remakes free on piratebay:
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4546..._by___BitRobot

vol.2:
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4603..._by___BitRobot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work.i like the idea,If you want to go to a great art college ,you must work hard,let's work hard together.hope to make friends with you.if you can .hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone. I should start taking pictures of people with foreshortened limbs. That sounds like a good idea. I might change the expression if I can ever find a way to erase the inked lines without using whiteout or a white gel pen since I plan to colour it with markers and markers hate going over whiteout. Any suggestions for that?

Lewis, sure, let's be friends .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope this helps.

First you need to do research into your subject. i start with muscles structures and get references for what you intend to reproduce. In the image here i got together bird wing muscles structures as well as human muscle structures. in this case i drew them over your image and used them as a direct reference. typically i start with muscles to find a nice pose. search through images that inspire me and try to find references of people in that pose or take photos of someone in that pose in their underwear :p

Good Luck!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks. That's actually really helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no problem, i should also say that you should try redrawing it with this new style.

and about screwing up. i think when we all start we get so nervous about messing something up. The sooner you can get rid of that fear the better. dont worry about screwing up. you can always draw it again and you will end up forgetting about it anyway when your 2000 drawings down the road of learning.

keep it up. draw a lot. draw people at libraries, school, bus stops, keep drawing and studying people, anatomy, and more.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.