Sketchbook: Sapphire's NEW Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sapphire's NEW Sketchbook

Hello, everybody! It's been a long time since I've been posting regularly on here, and life has been a bit rocky, but I'm back. I thought, with the workshop coming up, that now was a perfect time to post a sketchbook with newer art in it. I'm going to start fresh and clean, with no art older than a couple of weeks, because I want to build a portfolio. Any comments, crits and hellos are welcome!

Here's a piece I'm working on for a school illustration project called "Alien Interloper":

For my animal anatomy class, we're, taking an animal with a compound name (like "dog flea" or "turkey vulture") and seperating the two pieces of the name to create an animal that is half of each animal. The name I drew out of the hat was "horse leech". How awesome! Here's my rough n'dirty horse leech sketch. Comments? I want to make sure the leg anatomy is correct.

And a slightly older sketch, which I want to polish up:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't really tell what's going on with the girl in the first one, but dig the shell/plants on the second little critter. Really cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments!

The top image is an alien grabbing the woman (Vera), who is wearing a fiber optic, glowing suit. The alien's fist is around her hips. It also has parasitic slugs coming out of its back and crawling up towards her, which was part of the description of the short piece of fiction we made this for.

Do you think there's anything I could do to make it clearer what's going on? It's definitely a WIP, and I want to make it readable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update on the horse leech so far:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work dude, like the waterbug the most and nice colorpicking...in the horseleech one maybe you could make his legs further away a bit more vanishing(bad english haha). The things more towards or focussed a bit sharper with harder brushes, hope this makes sense...

Keep em comming, see ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments! I completely agree about the atmospheric perspective crit on the horse leech. I was going to add some in, but since it's for animal anatomy, I didn't know if I would get marked down for not showing the musculature of the animal. Now that it's turned in, I can fiddle with that much more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very design- ey.

while not necessarily a bad thing, it seems like you haven't really thought about your figure-ground relationship. a little too much of the background color showing through perhaps.

Your darks should fade away, yes, but your lights should be opaque and hard edged (at least on the solid shapes)

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    very design- ey.

while not necessarily a bad thing, it seems like you haven't really thought about your figure-ground relationship. a little too much of the background color showing through perhaps.

Your darks should fade away, yes, but your lights should be opaque and hard edged (at least on the solid shapes)

I assume you mean the leech horse?

Yeah, I really haven't given thought to the background or grass or anything yet. I'll definitely solidify things when I get back to it; thanks for the crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Texture mapping

I descovered I also like texturing a lot after we've been having assignments to do them. I didn't model the plant; we had to texture what was given to us, so I based my texture off of a milkweed plant. After the thing's graded, I'll change the model so that it doesn't have those slits in the leaves that fight the texture. It's hard to see, because photobucket made it all small, so I will upload a detail soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, after the workshop kicked my butt and inspired me beyond belief, I'm all full of artistic fire! I'm going to drive the principles in myself and do all I can to draw all the time. I'll try to update daily.

As soon as I can get to a scanner I'll upload the life drawing sketches from tonight, but for now I'll post two quick portraits I did yesterday.

This is Jaime, my roomie, rocking the Guitar Hero. (He's GOOD!)

And here's a sneaky, very fast portrait of our Dean while he was in our dark classroom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for visiting my sketchbook. I think I have the anatomy for the artist book you suggested I look at.

I like all your art pieces, they are very cool, that horse leech is scary, I deffinatly wouldnt want to run into one of those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work. I would love to see more

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.