The Dimensions of Colour - a colour theory discussion thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Dimensions of Colour - a colour theory discussion thread

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 326 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrenik View Post
    Not sure if this is appropriate place to say it, but I appreciate the feedback on my SB and all the help you've given this community towards questions on color and light, sir.
    Thanks very much for the comment and for dropping by here!

I'll repost a demo and some comments here that I just posted on MrFrenik's sketchbook in case anyone is interested. His aim was to paint a ball under a light source such that "the ball was a rather saturated green and matte surfaced, the light source is supposed to be the sun (almost noon) and the table is supposed to be the ground".

My comments on the demo below: "The basic process is really quite simple: Work out the pattern of light created by each light source (including refllectors) separately, and then superimpose and combine these patterns additively using linear dodge mode. (The shadows will take care of themselves). Apply local colour using a layer in multiply mode.

A couple of points arising from this example: Blue skylight tends to neutralize the yellowish cast of the sunlight around noon, so I wouldn't expect the up planes to be particularly yellowish/orangeish (unless the atmosphere was very smoky). Also, notice that a strong local colour tends to mask the variations in the colour of the lighting."

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 107