Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Thanks
    thanks MJ! I think thats a good idea i might try that soon. I think i missed how strong direct sunlight is.. so i did an edit.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    here are some BALLZ! some are more glossy, some less

Name:  cmiyc.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  343.7 KB

Name:  batman3_3.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  321.2 KB

Name:  batman3_2.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  237.7 KB

Name:  batman3.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  251.3 KB

Name:  arnie.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  259.0 KB

dood, all my posts disappear and stuff, wtf... next try...

and one question that REALLY REALLY gets me into trouble, i mentioned it before, but describe a bit simpler:

if a color reached its maximum of reflectance under skylight, how will it look under sunlight? the same right? i dont know..since i am working in RGB instead of HSB i stumble upon this alot. and i just mean diffuse reflection!

Last edited by Mister Janchichan; January 4th, 2014 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks
    sry i dont know that one, nice balls

Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 336 Posts
    Hi guys, my post from yesterday seems to have vanished permanently, but anyway I seem to have managed to get my email notifications working again. It's great to see so much activity here, but by far the most important thing I can say is to repeat what I said to Mr J on the last page:

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy@ashtons View Post
    Make sure you do plenty of observation of actual objects in different situations to develop a sense of how the theory works in practice, such as as how strong to make the various component reflections contributing to the appearance. You'll learn much faster if you let nature answer your questions.
    I think you could improve a lot of your efforts and answer a lot of your own questions by taking the trouble to create suitable setups to compare them with what you expected, and perhaps photograph them and analyse the colour relationships in Photoshop. This will do you much more good in the long run than getting answers from someone else.

If you are trying to paint simple objects from imagination make sure you actually understand the theory properly, for example with regard to the position of the highlight on a sphere (it has to be on a line from the light source through the middle of the sphere, not off to one side) and the importance of shading series.

Siphonophores: I hope you can see that due to your decisions regarding the colouring, you've made your spheres look highly translucent, which I don't think was your intention. Also, to show strong sunlight on an opaque object requires a strong contrast between the light and shadow sides. Did you examine a coloured sphere in sunlight when doing the exercise?

For the exercise of painting spheres into a photograph, I'd like to draw attention to this post, also on the last page:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...20#post3653620

In my attempt at one of Mr J's photos below, I first painted a white sphere under the lighting I inferred on the left, and then a coloured version on the right, using the procedure set out in that post. To follow this procedure, it is essential that you closely examine your photograph for clues that tell you about the relative strength and colour of the different light sources. I've marked in some of the clues I found useful for this into the photo, but I want you to see if you can follow for yourselves how I used this information.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsy@ashtons View Post
    Hi guys, my post from yesterday seems to have vanished permanently, but anyway I seem to have managed to get my email notifications working again. It's great to see so much activity here, but by far the most important thing I can say is to repeat what I said to Mr J on the last page:

I think you could improve a lot of your efforts and answer a lot of your own questions by taking the trouble to create suitable setups to compare them with what you expected, and perhaps photograph them and analyse the colour relationships in Photoshop. This will do you much more good in the long run than getting answers from someone else.
    hey david, thanks a lot for taking the time once again. i do alot of observations and lately painting from live too, but some stuff i want to understand, not just taking for granted and use this for my paintings. probably i am something like a nerd on this, but so far my understanding on things really helped me in my own work. ive made myself simple rules to paint whatever i want, i can tell how water looks if its clean, turbid, when the sky is this and that bababa... but now it seems that ive got a big misunderstanding when it comes to reflectance of materials and i just try to solve it with knowledge, so please dont take it amiss that i ask further on this topic:

you've noted the rgb distribution on my screenshot, it has a lot of color, very bright, the left ball, even in your version has less RGB color in sunlight than the sky has to offer, so why should it get darker in the shadows? i solved alot with just observation without asking anybody, but i am running at a wall with this.

is it just because sunlight penetrates the material more than the skylight or something?

if there is no answer to this i probably should rely more on the values than RGB-Distributions and create my shadows first of all on this information (sky value compared to white/sunlight) and alter the local-value at this factor.

Edit: Probably i got a Solution, Needs some validation, but i am optimistic

Last edited by Mister Janchichan; January 5th, 2014 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    Briggs: Thanks! I did not see that at all. I really struggled with trying to increase the contrast. I couldnt find many refs for direct sunlight in fact one i saw was a tennis ball which might explain the translucency thing. I will keep experimenting and seeing how to do this

Edit: i think i wanted a little translucency but not as much as i had there.

MJ. Im not sure i understand completely what u mean but i will try answer. Also Great job on those balls the yellow one to me really looks like direct sunlight.

Ok so I think you are on the right track. There is less light hitting those areas of the sphere. Also the reflected light due to the ANGLE, is less powerful (45% of the original intensity) keeping in mind that it is already reflected and therefore much weaker than the original lightsource that i think might explain it.

Also you can figure out the values in the rgb slider using linrans method tho personally i prefer the triangle thing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Janchichan View Post
    hey david, thanks a lot for taking the time once again. i do alot of observations and lately painting from live too, but some stuff i want to understand, not just taking for granted and use this for my paintings. probably i am something like a nerd on this, but so far my understanding on things really helped me in my own work. ive made myself simple rules to paint whatever i want, i can tell how water looks if its clean, turbid, when the sky is this and that bababa... but now it seems that ive got a big misunderstanding when it comes to reflectance of materials and i just try to solve it with knowledge, so please dont take it amiss that i ask further on this topic:
    I think it's really great that you want to understand things, and of course I'm not advocating the ignorant "just paint from life" rubbish that infected ca.org over the last few years (I mean in the free forums, not in the paid courses of course). It's just that it often seems to me that you go to the other extreme. For example, if you have a go at predicting what the shaded side of a white tower would look like, why not take the next step of taking a white cylinder outside and looking at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Janchichan View Post
    you've noted the rgb distribution on my screenshot, it has a lot of color, very bright, the left ball, even in your version has less RGB color in sunlight than the sky has to offer, so why should it get darker in the shadows? i solved alot with just observation without asking anybody, but i am running at a wall with this.

is it just because sunlight penetrates the material more than the skylight or something?

if there is no answer to this i probably should rely more on the values than RGB-Distributions and create my shadows first of all on this information (sky value compared to white/sunlight) and alter the local-value at this factor.

Edit: Probably i got a Solution, Needs some validation, but i am optimistic
    Always remember that you are painting colour relationships. If you have a sphere under an ambient skylight and a concentrated spotlight, the colour you use to paint the skylit side depends on how bright the spot light is. The brighter the spotlight is, the darker you need to paint the skylit side to get the contrast - the relationship - right. So you end up having to organize your painting so that the lightest and brightest things are within the range of paint, and then paint everything else dark enough that the relationships to those lightest and brightest things are working.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Siphonophores View Post
    Briggs: Thanks! I did not see that at all. I really struggled with trying to increase the contrast. I couldnt find many refs for direct sunlight in fact one i saw was a tennis ball which might explain the translucency thing. I will keep experimenting and seeing how to do this .
    You really couldn't find a coloured ball?! (And I don't mean a picture of one on Google!). Or couldn't you find direct sunlight?

Thanks
    Its been a long time since ive seen the sun.... It forgot these lands, went south for the winter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Siphonophores View Post
    Its been a long time since ive seen the sun.... It forgot these lands, went south for the winter
    Fair enough, then. This is what it looks like:

Name:  direct-sunlight.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  51.4 KB

Thanks
    i slightly changed how i establish my colors based on the last talk. if i want to paint something under very colored light i first have to paint the locals compared on white to better think of how it would change after colored light, but i am sure after some time i am able get more confidence.

here are 2 of my latest little results

Name:  rf34.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  38.8 KB
    Name:  dsdasd.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  16.2 KB

even if those sphere-studies are fun im looking forward to paint something more vauleable finally

edit: oops, didnt realise how small they are

as mentioned i compare the colors to whire first, thought it would be a nice excercise like i did here, no multiplymode or such:

Name:  24242.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  290.2 KB

Last edited by Mister Janchichan; January 6th, 2014 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks
    brigggs: Thanks! changed my approach on this now heh. time to go back to it

MJ: 1st one looks excellent! very representative

Thanks
    Ok so I tried to take what was said on board and came up with these. Now the first bunch were done before the crits were given so they are off. hopefully i got closer with the second batch. Then the third batch was a little light adjust to simulate that burning retina feel.

Edit: they were posted in the wrong order. No 1 is the burning retina.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook