Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
Results 287 to 299 of 347

Thread: The Dimensions of Colour - a colour theory discussion thread

  1. #287
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    519
    Thanked 239 Times in 172 Posts
    Hey briggs you ever thought about adding lighting as a subject to your site? (not a request btw) Like lux, footcandles, etc. could be a nice addition, especially with color temperature etc.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #288
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsy@ashtons View Post
    Mr J,

    Why not just stand in the middle of the room and look? What you see is the light coming from each point in the environment. Chances are most of the indirect illumination is diffuse reflection coming from the ceiling and walls (unless your room is as full of books as mine is!).

    David
    Thanks Alot David, i've got One question left for now if you dont mind, its about light in distance. I wanted to paint a scene were Pink glowing cubes falling from the Sky into the ocean, and i wondered how the Color would appear in distance.

    From what i know, Blue light gets scattered as it travels through the atmosphere, so luminated Pink in distance should lose some of its blue light, so it Shifts more to red. But also the light travels through the Blue atmosphere, doesnt it get altered to blue again, like objects in distance? I would paint it just less intense. With that in mind, what Happens to Blue Ort Cyan light in distance?

    I would try that Out, if i just could

    I really treasure your help!

    J
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #289
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    519
    Thanked 239 Times in 172 Posts
    These are the droids you are looking for; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_perspective
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #290
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    856
    Thanks
    193
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Janchichan View Post
    From what i know, Blue light gets scattered as it travels through the atmosphere, so luminated Pink in distance should lose some of its blue light, so it Shifts more to red. But also the light travels through the Blue atmosphere, doesnt it get altered to blue again, like objects in distance?
    Blue light is removed by out-scattering out of the beam to the eye, but also added by in-scattering into the beam. But while each additional kilometre of distance adds the same amount of blue light by in-scattering, it removes proportionally less and less by out-scattering. So objects that give off a lot of light show out-scattering dominant up to a certain distance before in-scattering takes over. So white objects at first lose blue rapidly and become darker and shift in hue shift in hue towards the red end of the spectrum
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #291
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    856
    Thanks
    193
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 338 Posts
    Unfortunately the entire site at the University of North Carolina (ibiblio.org) that hosts my website has recently started giving a malware warning in Google Chrome. Hopefully ibiblio.org will fix the issue very soon, but I'm afraid it's completely out of my control. I'd advise avoiding the site until it's been cleared by Google.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #292
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsy@ashtons View Post
    Unfortunately the entire site at the University of North Carolina (ibiblio.org) that hosts my website has recently started giving a malware warning in Google Chrome. Hopefully ibiblio.org will fix the issue very soon, but I'm afraid it's completely out of my control. I'd advise avoiding the site until it's been cleared by Google.
    Tranks Alot for the answer!

    @the malware thing: I ignored the warning, i thought it must be a misunderstanding, a Bit naive D: Hope it will be fine soon!

    Today One question arised while Watching a Video on youtube of a Guy Diving in a dark Deep hole in the ocean. It was completely Black, but when i've painted the ocean from Imagination i had always in mind that the ocean is blue Even in Deep Areals. i thought of some thing like a diffuse reflection of the water itself, something has to make the light visible right? but do i See the light when im lookin Deep Down to the ground but there is no ground to reflect the light? I guess, where no light is reflected from the bottom (too Deep) there is Hardly any light.
    Last edited by Mister Janchichan; December 15th, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #293
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    856
    Thanks
    193
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 338 Posts
    The Dimensions of Colour (huevaluechroma.com) is now all clear on Google. As it turns out there was never any malware on the site itself, the warning was triggered solely by two links back to the hosting organization, ibiblio.org.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #294
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    856
    Thanks
    193
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Janchichan View Post
    Today One question arised while Watching a Video on youtube of a Guy Diving in a dark Deep hole in the ocean. It was completely Black, but when i've painted the ocean from Imagination i had always in mind that the ocean is blue Even in Deep Areals. i thought of some thing like a diffuse reflection of the water itself, something has to make the light visible right? but do i See the light when im lookin Deep Down to the ground but there is no ground to reflect the light? I guess, where no light is reflected from the bottom (too Deep) there is Hardly any light.
    I guess the answer depends on how deep you are and whether or not the water is at all turbid. However in your documentary I assume they were using artificial light sources for lighting; these would tend to make a dimly lit environment away from the lit areas look completely black by contrast.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #295
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    519
    Thanked 239 Times in 172 Posts
    Hi briggs, I have a quick question for you.

    So Light falloff occurs at an exponential rate... now i was reading about color on wikipedia and i found this; (its attached). Now i cant make it out too great what i think it might suggest though is that the P value is either cubed or squared.

    Would this suggest that a light source which is pure red as it falls off loses both its chroma and value (i suppose they are linked) at an exponential rate?

    I guess what im asking is would chroma be linked to light falloff at this exponential rate?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. #296
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm pretty new here, so I thought I would give the challenge a shot! These are some photos I found browsing around some landscape blogs. They are all meant to be matte red balls.

    Name:  color test3.png
Views: 145
Size:  210.1 KB
    Name:  color test2.png
Views: 135
Size:  248.4 KB
    Name:  color test1.png
Views: 148
Size:  454.8 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  12. #297
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    thanks alot briggs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ixyra View Post
    I'm pretty new here, so I thought I would give the challenge a shot! These are some photos I found browsing around some landscape blogs. They are all meant to be matte red balls.
    Hey, it would help to show how the balls local color would look like, your ball seems to be more orange than red!

    greets

    Can someone help me out, i got stuck with why the sky gets more cyan/lighter near the horizon. my assumptions are:

    - around the sun its because of solar glare
    - on the opposite to the sun its because more light is reflected by upcomming dust/haze
    - its cyan because of the reflected sun-light (slightly more yellow) plus the skylights blue

    besides that the sky is mostly blue, it contains always more green then red, why that? because of red gets absorbed by water particles in the air? or green gets scattered after blue, just a smaller amount?

    somehow i got stuck on it
    Last edited by Mister Janchichan; December 27th, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. #298
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Janchichan View Post
    thanks alot briggs!



    Hey, it would help to show how the balls local color would look like, your ball seems to be more orange than red!

    greets

    Can someone help me out, i got stuck with why the sky gets more cyan/lighter near the horizon. my assumptions are:

    - around the sun its because of solar glare
    - on the opposite to the sun its because more light is reflected by upcomming dust/haze
    - its cyan because of the reflected sun-light (slightly more yellow) plus the skylights blue

    besides that the sky is mostly blue, it contains always more green then red, why that? because of red gets absorbed by water particles in the air? or green gets scattered after blue, just a smaller amount?

    somehow i got stuck on it
    Thanks for the help!

    The reason why the sky fades into a lighter color near the horizon is from atmospheric particle scattering. What you're seeing is the Earth's atmosphere moving particles around, changing their wavelengths, and therefore appearing "white/cyan" near the horizon (earth's surface). This is the same reason why when the sun sets, the sky turns orange/purple around the sun instead of just turning gradually dark.
    This is also the same reason why there is more green than red in "sky blue". The color blue is a high energy wavelength, which is shorter and much more easily penetrates the earth's atmosphere. Red is a low energy wavelength and is the longest visible wavelength in the spectrum, making it very difficult to pass through the earth's atmosphere (seen during sunset when the sun is right on the horizon and reds can pass through). All of this also explains skylight because all it is, is blue wavelengths passing through the atmosphere and bouncing off of everything on earth's surface.
    Last edited by Ixyra; December 29th, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  14. #299
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixyra View Post
    Thanks for the help!

    The reason why the sky fades into a lighter color near the horizon is from atmospheric particle scattering. What you're seeing is the Earth's atmosphere moving particles around, changing their wavelengths, and therefore appearing "white/cyan" near the horizon (earth's surface). This is the same reason why when the sun sets, the sky turns orange/purple around the sun instead of just turning gradually dark.
    This is also the same reason why there is more green than red in "sky blue". The color blue is a high energy wavelength, which is shorter and much more easily penetrates the earth's atmosphere. Red is a low energy wavelength and is the longest visible wavelength in the spectrum, making it very difficult to pass through the earth's atmosphere (seen during sunset when the sun is right on the horizon and reds can pass through). All of this also explains skylight because all it is, is blue wavelengths passing through the atmosphere and bouncing off of everything on earth's surface.

    thanks for the detailed answer! the only thing i dont get is, if its so difficult for red wavelengths to pass through the atmosphere, why are they able to pass on sunsets? you mentioned this, but i cant find
    the reason. on sunset the light have to travel through a lot more atmosphere, so it should be even more difficult to pass through..
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Colour theory and lighting?
    By Gesturing Stream in forum ART DlSCUSSION
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM
  2. Colour theory?
    By StylesArt in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
  3. help, colour theory.
    By wilko2112 in forum ART DlSCUSSION
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
  4. colour theory
    By MerQueen69 in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM

Members who have read this thread: 102

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook