Critique for Sketchbook Pages for College Portfolio
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique for Sketchbook Pages for College Portfolio

I'm trying to get together a portfolio particularly geared towards CalArts. I need help in decided which artwork would be good for sending in.

I basically need to know which art to send in and which can be improved and how. These pages are from my personal concept art sketchbook, and they were all drawn from life:

Any feedback is welcome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Melissa, welcome aboard!

I'm no expert in what Cal Arts would be exactly looking for but I'm liking the 4th and 5th images here.

The 4th has real loosey goosey gestural lines which work well in animation! The 5th has a lot of emotion and feeling in it.

The backgrounds would be good if you filled up the whole page I think. The 3rd page of sketches are a bit too stiff. Try to get expressions/emotions into your work. For instance, a sketch with an old couple (granparents) interacting with their baby/toddler...does that make sense?

Here's a link to a girl who went to Cal Arts. Take a look through her drawings and I think it may give you an idea of what they like....uh, I think! Hopefully someone can give a better idea for you!

http://www.mariinukai.com/

Good luck.

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the feedback! I'll definitely take a look in that link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a couple more life drawings I did at school today:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This last set of images are closer to being caricatures than actual life drawings. Do up a Google search under both topics and you'll see what I mean. Knowing the difference when presenting your portfolio is a good thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Az View Post
    This last set of images are closer to being caricatures than actual life drawings. Do up a Google search under both topics and you'll see what I mean. Knowing the difference when presenting your portfolio is a good thing.
    I actually forgot to say that these weren't technical life drawings, but drawings from life in which stood out to me. Inspired by these actually:

http://alexmarino.blogspot.com/2007/...g-doodles.html

I thank you for reminding me though, even though these were exaggerated sometimes I can get carried away in drawings where I'm trying to be accurate. I'll be sure to post some accurate life drawings soon enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not an expert at submissions to college, but I believe at this point, working on accurate studies of life is more important than drawing caricature-esque things.

At Colleges, they want to see you know the basics first, than you may include more gestural, or pulled things. It is sometimes mistaken as bad observation when a person is applying to school.

Again, practice the basics, and make sure you know form and anatomy through and through before using characterization.

I do believe however, calarts puts extreme emphasis on individuality and gesture drawings, as well as story telling. check out http://n80sk80.blogspot.com/

he has some wonderful flowing figures as well as accurate, gestural figure drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by praeclaris View Post
    I'm not an expert at submissions to college, but I believe at this point, working on accurate studies of life is more important than drawing caricature-esque things.

At Colleges, they want to see you know the basics first, than you may include more gestural, or pulled things. It is sometimes mistaken as bad observation when a person is applying to school.

Again, practice the basics, and make sure you know form and anatomy through and through before using characterization.

I do believe however, calarts puts extreme emphasis on individuality and gesture drawings, as well as story telling. check out http://n80sk80.blogspot.com/

he has some wonderful flowing figures as well as accurate, gestural figure drawing.

Those are some wonderful figure drawings, I'll definitely try to draw more accurately in life drawings. I'll also try drawing more gestures/ being more free with my lines. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aha I found you lol (snowlprd from the mud )

I do love that bird on the rocks piece as a lot on other sites have said, I like how its spread across 2 pages, the composition is really nice
    I also really like the expression in the piece with the girl on the stool
    the difference of "rendering" on the different areas, it makes the image really interesting, the dots add good toning to the face, as well as the hair hanging down with the dark fading to lighter in contrast to the direction of shading on the face

over all I would just say more life drawings/figure drawings as everyone else has said :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your art but OH GOD the typography!

Do a little bit of graphic design research... or at least use a sans serif font. and a smaller copyright symbol. and don't have it so close to the edge. but don't stretch the type....

you know what, just do research.

in terms of the drawings, I think you stand a pretty good chance. I saw some other portfolios that got in and yours is better. Just make sure you have VARIETY. They're looking for people that they can teach, not people that they think won't listen. So show that you're open to new ideas.

glhf!

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I like your art but OH GOD the typography!

Do a little bit of graphic design research... or at least use a sans serif font. and a smaller copyright symbol. and don't have it so close to the edge. but don't stretch the type....

you know what, just do research.

in terms of the drawings, I think you stand a pretty good chance. I saw some other portfolios that got in and yours is better. Just make sure you have VARIETY. They're looking for people that they can teach, not people that they think won't listen. So show that you're open to new ideas.

glhf!
    Thanks for the feed! The text is basically just for the online version, if I end up making slides I'll clear it right off Otherwise, I'll make the text fit better theme-wise and size-wise in future pieces

Thank you for the encouragement I acually plan on imitating a few foreign art styles to show variety. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtFish View Post
    aha I found you lol (snowlprd from the mud )

I do love that bird on the rocks piece as a lot on other sites have said, I like how its spread across 2 pages, the composition is really nice
    I also really like the expression in the piece with the girl on the stool
    the difference of "rendering" on the different areas, it makes the image really interesting, the dots add good toning to the face, as well as the hair hanging down with the dark fading to lighter in contrast to the direction of shading on the face

over all I would just say more life drawings/figure drawings as everyone else has said :]

Hey Snow *waves*!

Thanks for the feedback! That birds one is definitely going to be cleaned up, and put into my portfolio Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a couple more life drawings, from my grandpa's horse:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope it's okay for me to bump this...

Some elephant life drawings from the zoo: