Flying kick

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Flying kick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Flying kick

Something I did today through classes and lunch.
    Colored with prismacolor markers and colored pencils.
    Any critique is very appreciated!!!

Pose referenced from Manga Mania: Occult and Horror by Christopher Hart page 63.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest you put down the Christopher Hart books. I have a stack of em' as well, but looking back, they never helped me. Just my opinion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well if you're looking for critique, throw away that book right now because it won't do anything to help you learn anatomy.

Which leads to the critique: study anatomy.

Specifically in this piece, the facial features and shape are skewed past the point of believability. The nose and mouth are too low. The left forearm is awkwardly depicted, and the hand on that arm is at an impossible angle. The connection from the ribcage to the hips is not accurate, there is an *extreme* twist and it's not evident. There is no left scapula. The way her hair comes over her right scapula and also her right arm don't make any sense. If the right arm is that farm back, then we should be seeing some of the right side of the back. If the right arm isn't that far back, then the arm is too long.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that one of those "how to draw manga" kind of books? please dont use those, that kind of material is worthless. Learn from reality, study anatomy and figure drawing and after that you can go back and draw manga or whatever style you like. Copying templates on a manga book and mimicking wont teach you much.I suggest Loomis books if you havent already hear of them(http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/ you can download them for free there) , or George Brightman´s, Burne Hogarth´s ,etc there are plenty, and of course a lot of life drawing. Instead of referencing from a cartoon,try to do it from the mirror or a real life pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There doesn't appear to be a lot of motion in this picture either. It looks like she's just sitting there and there's a bit of a breeze coming through. If it were a flying kick, as you said, everything should be moving, and quite dramatically too.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,188 Times in 1,721 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Manga was a plot by Hitler to destroy the will of his opponents. Emperor Hirohito carried out the mission in secret to create Manga using Japanes artists because the German artists couldn't draw cartoons. The result survives to this day as a secret Nazi weapon!

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 16,678 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're just waiting for that one to escape into the wild, aren't you, Kev?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing your drawing lacks is gesture. You could draw a straight vertical line from her eye down to her knee. Not very dynamic for a jumping kick!

Try maing a sweeping gestural line and build the figure off that. I'll suggest to get the book, "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way". I've never met a figure drawing instructor who doesn't recommend it. I'll post an example of gesture/line of action from it...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this stuff might hurt, and studying anatomy might seem like a long-ass detour, and an unattractive one at that. However learning anatomy, through studies and practicing life drawing, you'll find that your anime will kick much more ass at the end of the day. Our main gripe with so called 'anime artists' (not the professional ones, mind you) is that they want to skip it all, and hence produce less than admirable works, then pass it off as 'it's my style! stop criticizing me!'

For specific crits, Final Knight hit them pretty well. E-panda and silvertone also brought up an important point, there seems to be a general lack of motion in the piece.

My crits deal with the range of motion that you already have here. See if you can turn your body so your shoulders sit 90 degrees to your pelvis like the way the lass is here. Next, try turning your foot 90 degrees to the left. Can't? you got to break a couple of things to get into the position she's in, it's kind of not possible.

For a kick, she doesn't look very well positioned for one. It looks like she's coming at you, but in no way could she fling her legs, in the way they are, to make good contact. Her foot would probably be the foremost thing in the pic to achieve that. The way her arm's arched makes me believe it's more of a flying punch.

Some things about the boobs. Add some more weight to them, they're kind of floating at the moment. Pesrpective-wise, pull her right boob back further. Much further. Right now you have one of these going on. Well, while we're talking about the boobs, let's talk about the body in general. The back seems like a straight line, you probably want to be adding more curves in there because it's looking too stiff right now; loosen her up a bit.

Last off, welcome to CA! You'll survive the kicks to the crotch but if you try and follow the advice you've been given (drawing from life, study anatomy, etc...) you'll do more than just crawl through, you'll thrive.

Drunken Sketches - crit me, crit me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the responses, I'm looking at studying anatomy too, but it's just so much slower, and as drunken_hand said, a long-ass detour, even though I know I need to learn it,
    do you think doing studies on PoseManiac are good? I can't make it to life drawing classes, there scarce in my small town.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you mean posemaniacs.com...I just had a look at it, and I didn't think it was that good. The images looked like 3D figure models with the muscles were painted on as a skin. So in some of the poses, they just weren't right.

Artist anatomy books are a start. They show you how somebody else (presumably, somebody who is good at it) thinks about human anatomy. That's good, because sometimes you can't see something until somebody else points out that it's there.

You can go a long, long way drawing your own hands, your own face in the mirror.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you took that better than I thought you would Renegade linked you to some Loomis books. Those are a good read and have earned something of a legendary status amongst the art community in general... and they're free! They've been out of print so you can actually find them online in pdf formats. If anything, you can just copy the drawings out of these books line for line and you'll still probably learn a good deal (figure drawing might be a good start. The book's like...mainly drawings anyhow). Reading these books will probably go into more detail about motion, where the weight of the body is, mechanics and useful information than most of those 'how to' books, at least the ones I've seen before.

If you really want to continue to draw anime while doing anatomy studies, it should be okay. Keep a sketchbook for anime stuff to show your friends; but keep an even bigger sketchbook for figure studies, realism, and anatomy practice, bust yo ass on that one, draw at least one page of studies in it daily. Then do the friend-pleasing, fun pictures on the other book, drawing as a hobby should remain fun because... well, I'm guessing that's why you got into in the first place.

I looked at posemaniacs and I have to agree with Stoat (you should check his sketches out sometime... pretty crazy stuff) Problem with textures applied on a 3D mesh is at certain angles they won't be correct and you'll get some flatness in your drawings. Though I guess for the most part they might be okay, just not the greatest tool. I'll see if I can hunt down a more detailed/better constructed mesh poser for you if you need it. If you need even more flexibility, I need to create a new 3D model anyhow. Tell me what you're looking for and I'll try to construct it in 3Dsmax, pose it for you and get the angle you want.

Drunken Sketches - crit me, crit me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mangakagirl: Great to see you took the advices well
    Studying anatomy and everything else mention here may seem slower but its actually not, take the proper time to study and improvement will begin to appear step by step as you go. The "how to draw this and that" type of books are made to trick beginners into thinking drawing is something you learn fast and easy and you can achieve it by buying and mimicking from their books,of course,its a fraud ,and thats their move to make money since a big proportion of fandom followers are willing to fall for that. Those books make huge damage.

Drunken: Duude, Liefeld´s captain america... haha just priceless! lol havent seen that in a while, made my day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drunken_hand: I'm surprised I took it that well too, I had to come back on here telling myself that people are trying to help because for some reason comments like on here always seem so harsh like people just hate me, even if they're saying it as nice as they can in real life. That's the reason I've left some sites, it's like I need anger management, but only online. I'll have to look harder at anatomy books, and I'm going to try to start some anat. sketches tonight if I have time between all the essays due tommorow.
    Stoat: I know what you're talking about, sometimes seeing someone elses point of veiw completely opens up the box.
    Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out...

http://www.vilppustudio.com/redesign...onstration.htm

He's got some instructional dvds on anatomy too in the "store" section.

Also check out your local libraries video section, including college libraries. You may find some figure drawing videos to check out!

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

ODISAP is offline about 10% of people in CA dont know what to type in this section
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "How to draw comics the Marvel Way" was one of the most useful books I have ever read.

Your pose is very nice, except maybe make the eyes + eyebrows more convincing

qabas12 is offline Put that ego away Ramone... your gonna hurt somebody with it.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ODISAP View Post
    "How to draw comics the Marvel Way" was one of the most useful books I have ever read.
    I have that same book too... cant say it helped me too much, but it did show me the professional approch to creating my own figures (that doesnt mean I got professional results ) but hey I kept at it....

another thing I think you mangakagirl can relate to, is I too started with that exact same book (or book series actually) in fact I still haven't returned it to the library... but the morale of the story is whatever drawing style you should decide to start with is yours to choose, (you don't have to go uber-realistic on your first or second attempt), but its where you take it and how good you want to be....

I hope that was helpful....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mangakagirl View Post
    Drunken_hand: I'm surprised I took it that well too, I had to come back on here telling myself that people are trying to help because for some reason comments like on here always seem so harsh like people just hate me, even if they're saying it as nice as they can in real life. That's the reason I've left some sites, it's like I need anger management, but only online. I'll have to look harder at anatomy books, and I'm going to try to start some anat. sketches tonight if I have time between all the essays due tommorow.
    Heh. I know what you mean. I hate critique. I've always had a hard time taking it on board, even when I richly deserved it -- maybe because my mother was a very good painter and always gave me the bidness when she looked at my stuff. It's like, "geez, Mom. It's a horsie. I'm seven. Lighten up a little."

In this case, though, you weren't actually being critiqued. Learning to draw from manga, or the comics, or cartoons is a matter of memorizing very specific lines and ways of representing forms. It's a totally different mental exercise than drawing...it's more like calligraphy, in a way.

Anyhow, why not start a sketchbook? The sketchbook forum is a kindler, gentler place than the Critique Center and it might motivate you to get into some good habits. Like drawing a lot.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Silvertone: thanks for both the replies, I'm definitely checking those things out!
    Stoat: thank you! I'm going ot start a sketchbook, hopefully even later tonight. I've actually already done a whole page of some studies and sketches. By the way, I checked out your sketchbook and it's amazing, totally inspireing!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...I owned some of those books too. As was previously stated, they're no good and your better off without them. Hogarth's anatomy books are really helpful.

I can't add much to what's already been said. However, if you like drawing your characters flinging around or doing acrobatics and such, then you would probably enjoy checking out Parkour or free running. You'll understand once you see the pictures.

Keep drawing and practicing your anatomy. A long with the sketchbook idea, get another sketchbook and use it to draw from life. Carry it around and draw your friends, family, acquaintances, and even random people. Its a great way learn anatomy.

You took the comments really well. Good job and keep drawing!

P.s. These my are just suggestions, with the exception of my statement in the beginning, and I hope I don't come off as arrogant.

Last edited by AmericanHardcore86; December 1st, 2007 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the dropping of Hart's book - because from this piece here, it looks like he's never evuh performed a flying side kick in his life. Or even understands the technique involved.

Study anatomy and if you're interested in drawing martial arts type of action, study films that feature martial arts.

As for the piece here, let me say:

1) that is NOT a functioning kick.
    2) It's very static - no action.

Her head would be facing the direction of the kick - when you kick or throw a punch - your eyes are on the target. Even while doing a spinning kick - you get your eyes on the target.

For kicks, since the toughest part involved in the kick is your heel - the heel will be "out". And think of momentum here in this action - her upper body wouldn't be pulling away and that means her left (her left, your right) shoulder and arm would be towards the target of the kick.

I've done a bit of an overdrawing to display the gist of the gesture. Hopefully this helps.

Name:  112707 flying kick_C&C.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  29.8 KB

ETA: I know she maybe performing some psuedo flying roundhouse kick and is in the midst of setting it up, but the setup wouldn't be like this either. The angle of the drawing overall is just sorta "blah".

Last edited by smugbug; December 1st, 2007 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well somebody had mention the posemaniac.com, I'm wondering if their 30 second drawing exercise is a good practice? It's on this link http://www.posemaniacs.com/pose/thirtysecond.html

btw I think overall Christopher Hart's book is usually better than the typical "how to" books, but anatomy book would sure be better for practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudocognition View Post
    I suggest you put down the Christopher Hart books. I have a stack of em' as well, but looking back, they never helped me. Just my opinion
    agreed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post

Manga was a plot by Hitler to destroy the will of his opponents. Emperor Hirohito carried out the mission in secret to create Manga using Japanes artists because the German artists couldn't draw cartoons. The result survives to this day as a secret Nazi weapon!
    If the Nazi's goal was to make the standard American artist lest skilled, we just got taken down by the fourth reich-chan.

PatriciaS - I don't think you really understood what the pose was... which is a good thing, because it points out the unreadability of this image.

Seems to me like she's leaping towards a spot a little left of the viewer, getting ready to whip her left leg around into something.

The problem with this is that we have no context. Why is she going there, towards us? And for that matter, why are we seeing her about to make the kick? There are points during that action that would have been more dynamic to display. Think about the guesture involved in throwing a ball. The moment with the most movement AND readability is just as the ball is being released from the fingertips of the pitcher.

In your image, I want to see that foot coming in for a landing on my forehead.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.