Help me with my portfolio

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am 18, and want to get into a University program that is called Interactive Multimedia and Design. I have the grades, now I just need a portfolio.

The program:

The four-year Interactive Multimedia & Design (IMD) program is aimed at students who are both artistically inclined and technologically adept.
    You will acquire the tools you need to take an idea or a problem and advance it through the entire process from concept to design, prototyping, testing, and delivery.

The program provides you with a multidisciplinary education covering topics in computer animation, video effects, game design and development, virtual reality systems, graphic design, 3D visualization, human-computer interaction (HCI), and combining them with courses in mathematics, business, and social science.
    It is a 4 year, half college/half university. At the end, you get a diploma and degree.

This is the requirements for the portfolio

Applicants to the Interactive Multimedia and Design program are required to submit a portfolio of creative work in support of their application. Normally portfolios and academic records are considered equally when evaluating an applicant for admission to the program. Portfolios must be sent directly to Carleton and must be received at the following address by the 1st of March:
    IMD Admissions Committee (c/o Hana Jabi)
    230 Azrieli Pavilion
    Carleton University
    1125 Colonel By Drive
    Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6

If March 1st falls on a Saturday or Sunday, portfolios must be received at Carleton by the following Monday.

Admissions Portfolios should comprise of the following components:

1. A covering letter introducing yourself and the work you are presenting. Use this letter to tell us about yourself, to help us get a feel for who you are, and to describe your interests. This letter should be no more than 1.5 pages.

2. A curriculum vitae highlighting your educational background and any opportunities/activities that you believe have made that are especially suited to the program.

3. Four or five examples of creative work; good examples of work would include photos or scans of traditional art (pencils, pastels, paints, sculpture), prints of digital art, renderings of 3D models, game designs, and screenshots of web based design. Do not submit original work; include reproductions only.

4. An index of work identifying and describing each of the examples of work submitted. The purpose of this index is to make it easy to identify and understand each piece or project. Where projects were done in a team, please be explicit about your role and contribution. Where work was done for a course, please synopsize the assignment. This index should be no more than 1.5 pages.

The required format is 8.5" x 11". All work, including the covering letter, CV, and index, must be bound together and/or organized within a binder or portfolio designed to accommodate 8.5" x 11" sheets. Where work submitted is in electronic format (e.g., is saved onto a CD, DVD, or posted on a web site), the portfolio must include key printouts of the project. CD/DVD sleeves must be bound into the portfolio; video cassettes cannot be accommodated. You may need to use more than one printed page to fully present multi-dimensional work such as sculpture, multimedia projects, models, etc.; in such cases, you must limit the presentation of the project to a maximum of three printed pages.

The design of the portfolio package is, itself, part of what will be evaluated. The design and layout of the portfolio should support (i.e. not compete with) the work presented.
    Now, I have planned out what I want my portfolio to be,

First piece will be a magazine advertisement for a car (08 lancer)

second will be a sign/banner that I designed + constructed

third will be a website (I have a friend who is very knowledgable in HTML and flash and can help me with pointers n such)

Forth will most likely be a Google SketchUp model

and fifth I am not sure yet.

I am also doing an unpaid internship at a Sign design+print shop to gain experience and to have it on my application letter.

So far, I have a rough sort of drawing for the lancer

I need tips on how to make this look better. The picture is a direct sketch of the car, and I didn't use any layers because frankly I am still new to Photoshop/Painter X.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hard to crit .. bit hard to see, so maybe you could lighter it up a bit?

But from what I can see looks allright

:
    In the absence of light, dark will prevail.

see my NEW sketchbook[UPDATED] http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=123027
    Trained by...
    http://www.thedrawingstudio.co.nz/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't think i have enough experience to really help but i'll try. :]

layers are really important! and makes your job a whole lot easier too. it keeps everything separated so you don't mess something up while working on something else. ex: screw up the background while painting the car.

also the white is glaringly bright right now due to the fact of such a dark red and background. you might want to smooth it out and blend it in slightly into the red. and lighter shades of red can also help too i think. :] give some highlights on the windows too.

overall the linework is quite detailed and looks awesome. maybe cleaning it up bit to give it a sleeker look would be nice. keep working on it because i see a lot of potential in the piece.learning photoshop in the beginning is hard. i'm still getting use to it myself. just keep trying out all the nifty tools they have and i'm sure you'll be able to master it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

blank with some touching up

critique please? I am having ALOT of trouble with the rims.

ODISAP is offline about 10% of people in CA dont know what to type in this section
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since no one is helping you, I will come to your aid

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.